• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I've been playing Puchi Carat on my PS2 slim with the paddle controllers. Well, I've been trying to play, since it seems the paddle controls are buggy (jerky movements). I have two paddles and both are behaving the same way so I suspect it's a problem with the console and a lack of compatibility. Unless someone here tells me otherwise I guess I'll have to get a PS1 from somewhere.

Now, original bulky grey PS1 or slim white redesign?

The original gray one might be a little harder to fine in 100% working order and the early ones are especially finicky, but I much prefer the old gray design. The early gray ones also have the serial I/O and link cable ports that are missing from the PSOne redesign if you're interested in that.

Rich!

For anyone in the UK who is interested:

I'm selling my original model PS1. It's in superb condition, has a later model laser mechanism fitted in it, and is modded to play multiregion and backups. Comes with RGB scart cable, dual analog (not dualshock) controller, one OG controller and two memory cards (one official, one joytech).

£40 for it. Need the cash unfortunately!

Khaz

Damn I should have got back to this thread earlier, I just bought a non-modded one with all its cables from Amazon. Cheaper than yours but I won't know the real condition until I actually have it. Nothing beats buying from a gaffer.

Leynos

For anyone in the UK who is interested:

I'm selling my original model PS1. It's in superb condition, has a later model laser mechanism fitted in it, and is modded to play multiregion and backups. Comes with RGB scart cable, dual analog (not dualshock) controller, one OG controller and two memory cards (one official, one joytech).

£40 for it. Need the cash unfortunately!

It's worth it for the Dual Analog controller alone, that thing is one of the best controllers I've ever used.

I really wanted to try it, as much as I love the films, but I heard nothing but bad things at the time.
That's what I've heard, but I've also seen some positive comments on it too. I'll probably just try it. I've played my fair share of games with imperfect gameplay and enjoyed them.

I played it back in the day, the Vampire Hunter D game was "weird" in its own way, it had tank controls like Resident Evil, but it also had some cool music, been ages I've played it.
You should give it a try.
I'm watching a complete set on eBay now.

putermcgee

To celebrate its release on PS3/Vita, I picked up an original copy of Vib Ribbon yesterday for about a dollar. I love the package design here where it has the image through a peep hole in the middle of the disc, it's backwards from regular cases, and Vibri has verious comments throughout the manual and in the case.
BJMPYfL.jpg

dEOhfXK.jpg

Teknoman

So im about to get ticked off at a sell on Amazon.

This is what I bought:

Breath of Fire 3:
Complete in Jewel Case with Artwork, Game Tested Working Properly, Black Label ~ FAST SHIPPING!

This is what I got:

iblG8sXoJaj8NO.jpg

So I sent:

When I received the copy of Breath of Fire III that you shipped, although it stated that it was complete, the cover art was just the manual front and rear covers glued together, minus the pages, and the rear of that somehow was stuck to the disc at some point. There is a large piece of it stuck to the front of the disc, so i'd like to return the game for a refund.

He/she sends:

THIS GAME WAS TESTED FULLY FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY. BORING #### GAME IN MY OPINION

This kind of stuff makes you want to jump on a plane and suplex the person. And I usually dont have Amazon seller problems either... Am I in the wrong for wanting a refund?

Teknoman

No. Escalate.

Right. Straight-up deception.

Just replied after I sent another message:

I'd still like to the return the game for a refund. That type of material being stuck to the stick could cause damage to my system in the long run, not to mention it arrived not as described, being damaged. There was a picture attached to the email showing how it arrived.

Sorry I did accept your request after seeing item I knew the it tested good. Full refund upon returned

So its all good now I guess...

Khaz

I wonder if you can make a complaint on Amazon so that they bar him from selling this game again. Because he will try to sell it again, and another customer will get screwed in the process.

Peltz

Amazon's customer service is amazing. Call them and they always go the extra mile. They often refund stuff without you even having to send it back to the seller. I'd go through them before doing anything. But call by telephone, because the telephone agents seem to have the most authority to do anything they want to help you.

Anyway, I just picked up SOTN for $30 complete in box with a truly pristine disc (looks unused). It's the greatest hits version.

I've never actually played this game other than the XBLA version, but I didn't get far because the X360's D-Pad, gummy-bear styled face buttons, and analogue triggers just don't work for this style of gameplay in my humble opinion.

(Why people say it's the "best controller" is beyond me.. For shooters? Yes... but it's not well suited for everything.. sorry, I but digress).

I'm looking forward to this game. I'm ditching my friends at some point tonight to play it asap (aren't I a bastard?).

kunonabi

Anyone ever run into this before? I'm trying to play Aconcagua, a PS1 game, on my PS2 using swap magic and I'm getting this screen. First time I've run into it as the rest of my PS1 games work fine.

It isn't any easier to read without the reflections and glare. All I can make out are what appear to be random numbers and letters.

Valkyria

Banned

Anyone ever run into this before? I'm trying to play Aconcagua, a PS1 game, on my PS2 using swap magic and I'm getting this screen. First time I've run into it as the rest of my PS1 games work fine.

It isn't any easier to read without the reflections and glare. All I can make out are what appear to be random numbers and letters.

It is an anticopy protection, it happens too with original games using swap. I believe there is a way to get rid of it, but I do not remember.

You can either play a patched ISO, or get a stealth modchip. This can either be a decent quality PlayStation 2 one, or one for a PlayStation. The Mayumi V2.1 in my SCPH-1000 plays those just fine.

putermcgee

Does anyone know what the difference between the old thicker case release of Vib Ribbon, and the slim case release? I also have Bust a Move/Groove in a standard CD case, but saw another copy in the older thick PS1 cases.

Does anyone know what the difference between the old thicker case release of Vib Ribbon, and the slim case release? I also have Bust a Move/Groove in a standard CD case, but saw another copy in the older thick PS1 cases.

Probably a matter of re-release. The original release is the thicker one of course.

putermcgee

Probably a matter of re-release. The original release is the thicker one of course.
Thanks. I think I'll still pick up the slim case Vib Ribbon if I see it for a good price. And I'll be looking for the original release of Bust a Move in the thicker case, provided it also has the spine card.

Khaz

I just received my PSone. Damn it's tiny! I knew it was smallish, but holding it in your hands is something else. The CD door feels a bit cheap but otherwise it's a fine piece of hardware.

I do have a problem with it though. It was sold with a Composite cable but I wanted to use the Scart RGB cable from my PS2. Aren't they compatible? I'm using it with a Scart manual switch box. When I first turn the console on, the TV doesn't get the RGB part of the signal and only displays Composite. I have to use the switch box to switch to another Scart, then switch back to the Playstation in order to get RGB. This never happened with the PS2.

Peltz

I just received my PSone. Damn it's tiny! I knew it was smallish, but holding it in your hands is something else. The CD door feels a bit cheap but otherwise it's a fine piece of hardware.

I do have a problem with it though. It was sold with a Composite cable but I wanted to use the Scart RGB cable from my PS2. Aren't they compatible? I'm using it with a Scart manual switch box. When I first turn the console on, the TV doesn't get the RGB part of the signal and only displays Composite. I have to use the switch box to switch to another Scart, then switch back to the Playstation in order to get RGB. This never happened with the PS2.

Interesting. Sounds like a problem with your switch box. I am pretty certain the SCART cable for all PS systems is the same. Are you certain it's giving you a composite signal?

From what I remember, isn't PS1's startup screen interlaced at 480i, then it swtiches to 240p for most games? Maybe you could just be seeing noise/artifacts from the 480i resolution at start-up? What does it look like if you just leave the system and don't switch back and forth?

Khaz

It's definitely composite. I can see the typical ugly dot crawl, and the pictures stabilises itself as soon as I switch. Also the TV doesn't turn on with the console, but does after the switch. Everything without a disc.

Scart usually carries both RGB and Composite, as a fallback if the display doesn't accept RGB. And RGB takes its sync from the composite pin, whether or not there is a full Composite signal on it.

It doesn't happen with my PS2, even though it output both RGB and composite as well (tested on a TV which can display both). It's like Composite is output first, then RGB, which confuses the TV. I've ordered an automatic switch box from Bandridge, maybe it will be intelligent enough to get the right signal.

In any case I need a second Scart cable so I can leave both consoles plugged. What cable would you recommend?

Peltz

It's definitely composite. I can see the typical ugly dot crawl, and the pictures stabilises itself as soon as I switch. Also the TV doesn't turn on with the console, but does after the switch. Everything without a disc.

Scart usually carries both RGB and Composite, as a fallback if the display doesn't accept RGB. And RGB takes its sync from the composite pin, whether or not there is a full Composite signal on it.

It doesn't happen with my PS2, even though it output both RGB and composite as well (tested on a TV which can display both). It's like Composite is output first, then RGB, which confuses the TV. I've ordered an automatic switch box from Bandridge, maybe it will be intelligent enough to get the right signal.

In any case I need a second Scart cable so I can leave both consoles plugged. What cable would you recommend?

I don't have a PS1, just a PS2. But everything I've bought from retro_console_accessories on ebay has been nothing but perfect. This is her link:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

I'd like to play some of my PS1 games, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to do so. In this case, PC emulation is out of the question, so out of PS1, 2, and 3, which would be the best way to go?

I'd like to play some of my PS1 games, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to do so. In this case, PC emulation is out of the question, so out of PS1, 2, and 3, which would be the best way to go?

If you're looking for 100% compatibilty, PS1 is the way to go. PS2 is near perfect, but there are some PS1 games like Gradius Gaiden that have issues. PS3 can fuck right off if you're looking to play timing sensitive PS1 games like Parappa the Rapper thanks to intrinsic input lag with PS1 BC on PS3.

Thanks, guys.

I'm thinking PS2 might be the way to go then. I don't have any of the incompatible games to worry about, and as much as I love the OG PS1 bootup sound it's probably not worth the hassle of having another console hooked up to the TV.

Khaz

Were can I find a Saturn to Playstation controller adapter? I'm sure the PS controller is great for some things, but certainly not for (2D) fighters. I think I'm developing a blister from trying to make shoryukens on Marvel vs Capcom 2. There's like nothing on eBay or on Tototek, and Keio is out of stock since 2012.

Were can I find a Saturn to Playstation controller adapter? I'm sure the PS controller is great for some things, but certainly not for (2D) fighters. I think I'm developing a blister from trying to make shoryukens on Marvel vs Capcom 2. There's like nothing on eBay or on Tototek, and Keio is out of stock since 2012.

Damn pricey nowadays, but have you considered one of these?

m60Q4O4.jpg

I also found this:
http://www.gameovervideogames.com/s..._id=1&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
Only 1 left in stock at the moment, and I have no idea if the site is trustworthy. Good luck :/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
GG will boot on a PS2, but there are some inconsistencies such as slowdown on certain stages that aren't present when playing on a PS1. It was a bad example, but the first game that came to mind since I actually own it, lol.

GG works perfect on the PS2 slim! Seriously!

I have played it on a slim well past the level that gives trouble on a phat (the classic gradius stage blowing to pieces).

Remember that the slim started adding partial software compatibility for PS1. It has some of the PS1 chipset in there (naturally as its used for PS2 games), but they replaced some of it with a software solution. And I think certain games were actually improved as a result.

Khaz

Peltz

So what's the general consensus on video quality of PSOne vs. PS1? Also are there any compatibility issues with PSOne hardware? And can I use PS2 controllers and arcade sticks on PS1/PSone hardware?

Although I was happy with just using my PS2 slim, due to recent tinkering around with the XRGB Mini and my HDTV, I've come to the conclusion that it's best to run 240p content (e.g. PS1 games) through the Framemeister via RGB, and all 480i and and 480p games on the PS2 through Component straight to my HDTV.

So rather than constantly switch cables, I'm probably going to just grab a PS1 in decent shape because my old one is pretty much dead from what I remember.

Zing

Banned
PSone has no compatibility issues. I think it is the definitive version. Best durability and construction, for rubber feet on bottom to prevent slippage, and the light grey dual shock controller is superior to the regular ones due to tighter sticks and more accurate dead zones.

I have not seen nor read of any video out differences between revisions.

Peltz

PSone has no compatibility issues. I think it is the definitive version. Best durability and construction, for rubber feet on bottom to prevent slippage, and the light grey dual shock controller is superior to the regular ones due to tighter sticks and more accurate dead zones.

I have not seen nor read of any video out differences between revisions.

Can I use PS2 controllers on it?

There are no adapters to use dreamcast controllers on the PS1/PS2, are there? I feel like I've looked and all I can find is the reverse.

I'd like to switch out the Dreamcast in an arcade cabinet of mine with a PS2 and not really fiddle with the controls very much.

Top Bottom