• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

There are no adapters to use dreamcast controllers on the PS1/PS2, are there? I feel like I've looked and all I can find is the reverse.

I'd like to switch out the Dreamcast in an arcade cabinet of mine with a PS2 and not really fiddle with the controls very much.

Might consider putting a Cthulhu PCB in your arcade cabinet. It'll work with PS, DC and a variety of older systems; you just have to make the console-specific leads yourself from old extension cords.

Yeah that'd be good but my dreamcast has controls through the jamma port and id like to keep it fairly original. A converter would just take the dreamcast leads off the jamma box and plug them into the ps2.

fernoca

As I recently got a PSone with an LCD screen, been recently looking for exclusives, that I don't own digitally...and that I had goid memories from back then.

So, got Blasto, Omega Boost, Wild 9 and Croc 2.

Wavebossa

Digimon World 1 was the best game ever.

It was like it was made by a 7 year old... a 7 year old genius!

Seriously tho the spelling and grammatical mistakes in that are downright painful

Peltz

As I recently got a PSone with an LCD screen, been recently looking for exclusives, that I don't own digitally...and that I had goid memories from back then.

So, got Blasto, Omega Boost, Wild 9 and Croc 2.

How is the quality of that screen? Never seen it in person.

What's its native resolution?

How is the quality of that screen? Never seen it in person.

What's its native resolution?
Pretty sure it's 640 x 480.

The quality is excellent. One of the best displays from that era. It's standard def (analog) native and lagless as far as anyone can tell. None of the ghosting that was common in LCDs of that era is present. Sharp picture, easy to track.

There are some negatives. Lighting is uneven due to the placement of the lamps along the bottom of the display. This means seeing different lighting in each eye if you end up turning the thing on its side for TATE. The viewing angle is pretty narrow when compared to more modern displays too. You might be disappointed when you first power it up.

It does accept a 2.5mm A/V plugin for an external image, but it's composite and really shitty. It even has a pass-through for the multi A/V port so you don't need to remove the display too hook your PSOne up to a TV.

Peltz

Pretty sure it's 640 x 480.

The quality is excellent. One of the best displays from that era. It's standard def (analog) native and lagless as far as anyone can tell. None of the ghosting that was common in LCDs of that era is present. Sharp picture, easy to track.

There are some negatives. Lighting is uneven due to the placement of the lamps along the bottom of the display. This means seeing different lighting in each eye if you end up turning the thing on its side for TATE. The viewing angle is pretty narrow when compared to more modern displays too. You might be disappointed when you first power it up.

It does accept a 2.5mm A/V plugin for an external image, but it's composite and really shitty. It even has a pass-through for the multi A/V port so you don't need to remove the display too hook your PSOne up to a TV.

I'd love an up-close picture of the pixels for the scanline screanshots thread if anyone can make that happen. Even if there's no actual scanlines, it's so rare for a 1st party display to be made for an oldschool console that it could be a really great reference point for people to fine tune their emulation filters.

Do any of you guys remember a PS1 game (like around maybe '96 / '97) that was a top down shooter kinda game that featured, I think (vaguely recall), animals? Like a lanky, tall rabbit kind of character. I wasn't super fast paced or anything. Maybe pre-rendered backgrounds.

hipgnosis

Do any of you guys remember a PS1 game (like around maybe '96 / '97) that was a top down shooter kinda game that featured, I think (vaguely recall), animals? Like a lanky, tall rabbit kind of character. I wasn't super fast paced or anything. Maybe pre-rendered backgrounds.

The only thing that comes to mind is Konami's Whizz, but that isn't a shooter.

MisterM

Re-Loaded?

490399-re-loaded-playstation-screenshot-character-selects.jpg

Khaz

I just ordered Dead or Alive from Japan. I'm already so bad at it on Saturn that I don't think the controller will be much of a hindrance. I really like the gameplay though!

I'd love an up-close picture of the pixels for the scanline screanshots thread if anyone can make that happen. Even if there's no actual scanlines, it's so rare for a 1st party display to be made for an oldschool console that it could be a really great reference point for people to fine tune their emulation filters.
I can work on getting some images. Here's a video I did awhile ago if you want to see it in action.

Didn't know where to post this since there aren't any active Ridge Racer threads.

R4 RIDGE RACER Type 4 Opening Remake version

Yeah, it's a CG remake of the PS1 CG intro.

original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVIj0nIM7fk

Namco's original CG has far better artwork / style, the remake's Reiko Nagase is almost cringe worthy, but technically the driving segments look great.
Yeah that was slightly cringe worthy, I appreciate the work and effort, but big boobed anime doll Reiko not so much.

Zing

Banned
I've seen several people claim the LCD has no ghosting. That is not my experience. Ive had two of these, one was sealed in box. They both ghosted, most noticeably on Raiden Project. It was difficult to play on the LCD since the enemy bullets were extremely blurry.

Also, small font text gets mangled on the display. Whatever the resolution of the panel is, it isn't the native resolution of the PSone. On text, lines will randomly be fatter or skinner, making text look odd.

Finally, the headphone output was very noisy. Again, I tried several panels and systems. All seemed to suffer from noise introduced by the disc motor, or something related to disc loading. It's a shame, since the headphone output was one of the features I wanted most.

These three things made me give up on the panel. It was fun and decent enough for playing platformers and such. I played through much of Klonoa on one while traveling.

I do agree that there appears to be no input lag.

I've seen several people claim the LCD has no ghosting. That is not my experience. Ive had two of these, one was sealed in box. They both ghosted, most noticeably on Raiden Project. It was difficult to play on the LCD since the enemy bullets were extremely blurry.

Interesting. If there is ghosting, it isn't extreme enough for me to notice. Maybe you are hyper sensitive to it. The only issues I run into when playing shmups on it are that... it's a tiny ass screen.

Also, small font text gets mangled on the display. Whatever the resolution of the panel is, it isn't the native resolution of the PSone. On text, lines will randomly be fatter or skinner, making text look odd.

This is kind of true. I'm almost positive that the display is 640 x 480, probably to allow more flexibility between differing game resolutions. So yeah, some objects can end up rippled and resized.

Finally, the headphone output was very noisy. Again, I tried several panels and systems. All seemed to suffer from noise introduced by the disc motor, or something related to disc loading. It's a shame, since the headphone output was one of the features I wanted most.

Forgot about this. Though the built in speakers are pretty fantastic for something this size, the headphone out is definitely garbage.

These three things made me give up on the panel. It was fun and decent enough for playing platformers and such. I played through much of Klonoa on one while traveling.

I do agree that there appears to be no input lag.

Yeah, it's a great option if you want to carry around the PSOne, but the size alone should discourage anyone from playing anything other than platformers and maybe fighting games. We were able to get along just fine in a 2 player co-op session of Panzer Bandit.

putermcgee

Didn't know where to post this since there aren't any active Ridge Racer threads.

R4 RIDGE RACER Type 4 Opening Remake version

Yeah, it's a CG remake of the PS1 CG intro.

original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVIj0nIM7fk

Namco's original CG has far better artwork / style, the remake's Reiko Nagase is almost cringe worthy, but technically the driving segments look great.
WTF. I think the original one is cheesy and everything, but the remake is all kinds of wrong. Maybe it's the same in the original, but why would she keep wearing one heel after taking off the other?

I noticed how she subtly bites her lower lip when she walks up to the car in the original, but in the remake, she just makes a derpy face.

Khaz

Her teeth seems to be misaligned, so maybe that's that. But they made her boobs bigger and her skirt shorter so you're not supposed to look at her face anyway.

Khaz

SCPH-1000 to SCPH-55XX use a Sony CXA1645 video chip. This produces the best RGB image among PlayStation models. This same chip is used by the Sega Saturn too.

No. They may produce the best Composite image, but RGB isn't touched by this chip.

Unless there is a fault on the board itself (like some Megadrive revisions, producing banding), there is no such thing as "RGB quality". It's raw signals coming out of the PPU, untampered.

Khaz

I just received my Gradius Gaiden. It's so cool! I love these kind of games since back when I had Gradius Advance on the GBA. I never really could get into the the first episodes on the NES but this one is just right. It will stay proudly next to Gradius V.

d+pad

Although I haven't put as much time or money into my PS1 collection as I have, say, my GameBoy, Famicom or PC Engine collections (sigh), I've still been able to pick up a few imports that I consider gems.

One that I just covered on my blog is Nippon Ichi's Marl Jong!! It oddly/amazingly combines the company's Marl Kingdom characters with what seems to be a simplified version of mahjong. Here's the blog post in question, should anyone want to check it out: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2014/11/...mber-selection-marl-jong-for-playstation.html

Another "interesting" Nippon Ichi PS1 game that I somewhat recently added to my collection is Cooking Fighter Hao. I say "interesting" because although I like how the game looks (Super Fami-esque visuals and all), its gameplay is pretty dreadful. More here, if anyone's curious: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2014/10/...chis-cooking-fighter-hao-for-playstation.html

Next up for me, I think, will be some rather basic imports that I've somehow failed to buy thus far--games like Arc the Lad, Jumping Flash and PoPoLoCrois Monogatari...

Got Rayman 2 this morning, and it only cost £2 with manual included!

B2owoXYIQAEfbju.jpg:large

One scratch on the case, and slight wear on the corner of the manual, but everything else is in really good condition. I know it's a common find, but thought I'd share.

Does anyone have a link to a complete list of PS1 RPGs?

No, but I have a list of RPGs that are worth playing. All of them are playable in some form on a PC (emulation). Many of them are PS1:

rpglistv6.gif

The numbers are for a "ballpark" aggregate.

Rating - hours to complete - popularity

I'm pretty sure nothing worthwhile in PS1 era is missing from that list.

Peltz

No, but I have a list of RPGs that are worth playing. All of them are playable in some form on a PC (emulation). Many of them are PS1:

rpglistv6.gif

The numbers are for a "ballpark" aggregate.

Rating - hours to complete - popularity

I'm pretty sure nothing worthwhile in PS1 era is missing from that list.

That's a good list of JRPGs. Also, you may want to think about adding the Earthbound/Mother series. They're pretty cool.

On that list, Earthbound is too much oddball to make into a list that wanted to be about traditional JRPGs.

Saga Frontier was too lowly rated to make the cut.

Persona 1/2 I think is not there because there were issues about translation/western ports of some sort. Basically I couldn't quite decide which one was a good enough version. So none of them were added.

Right now I think P1 is best played on PSP.

P2 IS is best played on PS1 with fan translation.

And the P2 EP is left open since there's only an official PS1 version only and I've read it's still a bad translation with content either cut and censored.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Panzer Dragoon Saga should top that list ;) but I understand few people have played it, you probably haven't. What a tragedy that this game is so rare. That said, I don't see many Sega classic RPGs either (Shining Force, Phantasy Star, etc.). Otherwise a decent list. I almost feel like making my own right now. ^^

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Does anyone have a link to a complete list of PS1 RPGs?

I'd love to see something like this, hell I might just start one myself. Its the Japanese ones that really have me tripped up, there were tons of oddities released only in Japan in that genre that I hear NOBODY ever talk about (Story of Mars, Khamrai, Planet Laika).

Peltz

I'd love to see something like this, hell I might just start one myself. Its the Japanese ones that really have me tripped up, there were tons of oddities released only in Japan in that genre that I hear NOBODY ever talk about (Story of Mars, Khamrai, Planet Laika).

Yep, can't say I've ever heard of those games.

Sinople

Saga Frontier was too lowly rated to make the cut.

That saddens me. They're both great IMO and were well received here in Japan :(

I've played Khamrai last year. It's an interesting game in terms of mechanics (for example, the way you play determines how your characters grow) and atmosphere/world building, and the story is good too, but I don't think I would recommend it.
It's not pretty, too linear (you can't choose where to go or even go back), too small in scope, the battle system is dull (you only give orders), the balance is broken and the random encounters so numerous it killed any will I had to explore maps (not that there's a lot to explore, mind you).
I'd rank it as a third-rate, only for hardcore fans who want to try everything, PS1 RPG along with Mermanoid, another obscure game written by Kenji Terada.

For games only released in Japan, I recommend in priority the Poporocrois games, Oreshika and Linda3.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That saddens me. They're both great IMO and were well received here in Japan :(

I've played Khamrai last year. It's an interesting game in terms of mechanics (for example, the way you play determines how your characters grow) and atmosphere/world building, and the story is good too, but I don't think I would recommend it.
It's not pretty, too linear (you can't choose where to go or even go back), too small in scope, the battle system is dull (you only give orders), the balance is broken and the random encounters so numerous it killed any will I had to explore maps (not that there's a lot to explore, mind you).
I'd rank it as a third-rate, only for hardcore fans who want to try everything, PS1 RPG along with Mermanoid, another obscure game written by Kenji Terada.

For games only released in Japan, I recommend in priority the Poporocrois games, Oreshika and Linda3.

Yeah, Linda^3 is really awesome... I remember reading about that game a LONG time ago based on a review by a rec.games.video.* usenet poster, looked on ebay and couldn't find anything... and totally forgot about it. Until I was visiting Video Games NY with my girlfriend, and she picked the game out at random... "you ever hear of this game? What a strange name for a game..." I just sat there in shock for 2 minutes and then went to buy it :)

Never even heard of Mermanoid! Kenji Terada gets lots of points from me for writing the FF3 scenario, always loved that one...

Top Bottom