• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Zing

Banned
Anyone have a spare Rayman CIB lying around they want to sell? I want to get a copy for my wife. Thanks!
I recently re-acquired the longbox version. I have many fond, and some not so fond, memories of this game. It took a while to find a decent longbox copy, but I think there are many jewel case variants on eBay.

This is the list I used for US releases. I feel like there's plenty of revision possible depending on how you define a RPG. Should games like Dragon Seeds and Monster Rancher be on the list? Does Digital Card Battle count because, even though it's primarily a card game, you have certain cards that gain EXP and level up over the course of the game? Parasite Eve is definitely a RPG but what about Parasite Eve 2? Even though it's primarily a RE clone, it still has some RPG elements. Do we count the RPG modes in Point Blank? What about Tron Bonne? I'd like to see what changes you guys would make.

Alundra
Alundra 2
Arc the Lad Collection
Azure Dream
Battle Hunter
Beyond the Beyond
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Brigandine
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Chrono Cross
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Darkstone
Diablo
Digimon World
Digimon World 2
Digimon World 3
Digimon: Digital Card Battle
Dragon Seeds
Dragon Valor
Dragon Warrior VII
Eternal Eyes
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Granstream Saga
Guardian's Crusade
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Jade Cocoon
Kartia: Word of Fate
King's Field
King's Field II
Koudelka
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Legend of Mana
Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen
Lunar Silver Star Story Box Set
Lunar II Eternal Blue Box Set
Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Monster Rancher
Monster Rancher 2
Monster Seed
Ogre Battle
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Persona
Persona II: Eternal Punishment
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
RPG Maker
Saga Frontier
Saga Frontier 2
Saiyuki: Journey West
Shadow Madness
Shadow Tower
Star Ocean: Second Story
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Torneko: The Last Hope
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II
Vanguard Bandits
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2
Xenogears

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As for US releases, you forgot Master of Monsters, which from what I remember is an absolutely horrible game.

And for Japanese releases, some of the ones both off the top of my head, and off RPGFan's PS1 picture list:

Atelier Marie ~The Alchemist of Salburg
Atelier Elie ~The Alchemist of Salburg 2
Baroque
Blend x Brand
Dragon Knight 4
DQ4 Remix
DQ Monsters 1 and 2 Remix
Eithea
Elder Gate
Front Mission 2
Front Mission Alternative
Gate Keepers
Groove Adventure Rave: Eternal Bond (best name I've ever heard for a game!)
Growlanser
Khamrai
Kuroi Hitomi no Noir: Cielgris Fantasm
Linda^3
Little Kingdom Eltria
Little Princess Marl Oukoku no Ningyouhime 2 (Rhapsody sequel I think?)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren's Ambition - The Zeon Legacy
Neorude
Neorude 2
Oreshika
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Planet Laika
Popolocrois
Poporogue (Popolocrois 2)
Senkai Taisen
Shin Megami Tensei 1 Remix
Shin Megami Tensei 2 Remix
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children
Slayers Wonderful
Spectral Force 2
Story of Mars
Suikogaiden 1 and 2 (these are more VNs than RPGs I believe)
Suna no Embrace: Eden no Sato no Nebyll
Super Robot Taisen Alpha
Suzu Monogatari
Tales of Phantasia Remix
Twinbee RPG
Weltorv Estleia
Zill O'll

The only JP-exclusive RPGs I've played are Popolocrois and Tales of Phantasia remix. Would love to hear opinions for some of these other games.

Thanks! I can't believe that I left Master of Monsters off considering that it was the last game I bought to finish the RPG set.

The only JP-only game I can add to that list is Moon: Remix RPG Adventure. Don't get me started on how hyped I am about that translation patch.

Khaz

I've just received my first four American games today, along with the modchip to play them. Today is a good day! I was surprised to see that the Onechip doesn't only allow for imports and backup to play, but it switches the BIOS menu and CD player to 60Hz as well. Cool bonus.

My first imports are pretty unexciting for the amateur crowd, but given I never had a Playstation before I'm quite eager to play them:
- Gran Turismo 2
- Metal Gear Solid
- Final Fantasy 9 (had to settle on one, can't play all of them)
- Alundra

Importing these ultra common games was a pain for me European, thanks to eBay's GSP and Amazon's policy on video games.

Big thanks to CidHighwind89 over in the BST thread for getting me hooked up with these beauties. Still need to find the "M" case for 3, but otherwise I'm very happy. Spent a LONG time playing Legend of the Valkyrie with the GF last night.

mp1jz5vl.jpg

Big thanks to CidHighwind89 over in the BST thread for getting me hooked up with these beauties. Still need to find the "M" case for 3, but otherwise I'm very happy. Spent a LONG time playing Legend of the Valkyrie with the GF last night.

mp1jz5vl.jpg
Nice set.

If you're a cheapass like me you could print out the m one

Zing

Banned
I wanted those Namco discs for so long. Hard to find since the market is polluted with greatest hits rereleases. I finally gave up after realizing I wouldn't even play most of the games.

I still need to buy all of these on PSN. I have the first one. Really want to try Legend of Valkyrie. I've wanted to get the physical set, too, but man - so expensive.

That is wildly untrue on all counts. EP has a fantastic translation and nothing was cut out.

I dunno about fantastic translation, but I would call good. The issue is mostly that it still contains a decent a few remnants from the Revelations: Persona localization. Character first names are still the same, though the changed their last names back to their original Japanese names and they still refer to the P1 town as Lunarvile.

As for P2 itself, it's not a bad game, but it hasn't aged all that well in terms of gameplay and such. Still has the best story out of the whole Persona series though.

hipgnosis

Great stuff man! That PAL Castlevania SOTN Collector's Edition is a personal favourite of mine. Such a great package for an incredible game. That game is crazy expensive now too, a copy recently sold for $280 at eBay.

oldmario

i was given a couple PS1's a couple years ago and a few weeks ago i decided to open them up to see if any had modchips and to see what they looked like inside, would anyone be able to tell me what type they are and what they do specifically? i didn't want to take the tape off just incase they held the wiring in

GCEq4Pol.jpg

Wo0OsGql.jpg

if the images aren't big enough just remove the l from the end of the file name and they should show original size

Khaz

Taking the tape off wouldn't give you any indication. They're most likely programed EPROM (the bypass code is put on a random chip), in fact you would be risking corrupting them as they can be erased by shining UV on the uncovered hole.

It would be more interesting to check the connection points they're using. I kind of remember that four wires are normal, non-stealth bypass, while eight wires are stealth. Don't take my word for it though.

Tain

There is one thing I'd like to ask, if anyone can help.

I've always wanted to play Tobal 2 but my Japanese import is Japanese only (yeah, obviously?) but I believe there was a way to get it working an English patch. Does anybody know about this or can help me do it?

I have a Net Yaroze which acts as a region free PlayStation console but because the picture is NTSC-J it only displays in black and white. Any help would be appreciated.

You'd have to be able to play burned discs, which the Net Yaroze can't do without modification.

The patch is here, though: http://home.comcast.net/~Hairraiser/Tobal2/index.html

You'd have to rip your disc into a disc image using something like imgburn, use a PPF patching tool to apply the patch to the image, burn the image as a new disc, and play it on some modified PSX.

Khaz

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid for a few days now, and I just got past the part where you have to contact Meryl. I knew what the deal was about with the back of the CD case as I read it on the Internet, but I felt the game was pretty clear in the intructions it gave?

Oh, and Solid Snake is hitting on anything female it's embarassing lol.

i was given a couple PS1's a couple years ago and a few weeks ago i decided to open them up to see if any had modchips and to see what they looked like inside, would anyone be able to tell me what type they are and what they do specifically? i didn't want to take the tape off just incase they held the wiring in

GCEq4Pol.jpg

Wo0OsGql.jpg

if the images aren't big enough just remove the l from the end of the file name and they should show original size

Seeing these brings back memories, I can't believe there were shops in town advertising they'd mod your consoles back in the 90s.

Shining

mp1jz5vl.jpg

Such a nice display. You could also get Namco Museum Encore (Jap only) which includes Dragon Saber.

Timu

jip7STBz2LLF0.jpg

It was 3 bucks CIB so I decided to buy it. I played the 1st one when it was out back then as it was the 1st 3D fighter I played.

This game gives you the option to play in 30FPS with better graphics or 60FPS with worse graphics which is rare for a fighting game. So I tried it in 30FPS and it was a nightmare, sure, it looks better, but holy crap it was unplayable, so hard to control and get moves out since it's designed as a 60FPS game, lol. I went with the 60FPS option and never looked back.

Tactica

Neo Member
I just love these Collecting and Appreciation threads! So much love <3

Please enlighten me about the correct behaviour with newer plaforms? I have a big (complete) PS4 collection and also working on a PS3 exclusives collection (300 games so far) and would love to find discussions about them. Most of Gaf's threads are of old platforms, which is great, but is there just no need for newer consoles, or no one just hasn't gotten around to make them?

My collection: http://youtu.be/j02bGP2tdwk

hipgnosis

I just love these Collecting and Appreciation threads! So much love <3

Please enlighten me about the correct behaviour with newer plaforms? I have a big (complete) PS4 collection and also working on a PS3 exclusives collection (300 games so far) and would love to find discussions about them. Most of Gaf's threads are of old platforms, which is great, but is there just no need for newer consoles, or no one just hasn't gotten around to make them?

My collection: http://youtu.be/j02bGP2tdwk

Good to see Finnish-GAF representing! I don't think there are collection threads for newer consoles yet though, maybe a general collecting thread would be a good idea.

Nice PS4 collection btw, keep up the good work!

Teknoman

So I think im ready to go after Suikoden 2... about how much should I expect to pay for a complete version these days? Doesnt have to be ultra mint or anything, but i'd at least like the manual.

Still havent been able to find a good copy of Breath of Fire 3 since that...incident a few months ago >_>

Velinos

So I think im ready to go after Suikoden 2... about how much should I expect to pay for a complete version these days? Doesnt have to be ultra mint or anything, but i'd at least like the manual.

Still havent been able to find a good copy of Breath of Fire 3 since that...incident a few months ago >_>

I've been keeping my eye out for a while now. I would say a good price would be sub-$100 for CIB. Still convinced that the day I break down and finally pick it up is the day that Konami finally releases it on PSN.

Wereroku

I would say around 100 for a complete copy is fair.

Teknoman

I've been keeping my eye out for a while now. I would say a good price would be sub-$100 for CIB. Still convinced that the day I break down and finally pick it up is the day that Konami finally releases it on PSN.

I would say around 100 for a complete copy is fair.

Guess I should post interest at Nintendoage and GAF B/S/T. The only two i've seen on ebay so far: A copy missing the manual for 99 bucks, and a complete copy for 199 but also has a make offer option. I guess I could just do a $100 offer, but that would probably go unanswered lol.

EDIT: I wonder if its considered a bad habit to try to "secure" games in series you want to explore, before even kicking off the first game? Then again, I guess thats why its called a backlog :p

Psxdad

Earlier this year, I posted in this thread showing the progress of my PS1 collection. My end goal was collect 100 games, selected from a combination of what I considered to be the best games on the system and my personal favorites. I thought I'd post an update since the year is coming to a close.

All games black label, near mint, and complete. Guides all include posters.

Earlier this year, I posted in this thread showing the progress of my PS1 collection. My end goal was collect 100 games, selected from a combination of what I considered to be the best games on the system and my personal favorites. I thought I'd post an update since the year is coming to a close.

Great collection, needs a little more racing genre love; wipEout and Ridge Racer are excellent series with only great games in them for the PS1!

Very impressive. Kudos for the Intelligent Qube, Clock Tower, and Deception love.

maxcriden

Just got Spot Goes to Hollywood and I cannot believe how well this game holds up. I never played it as a kid but my wife did. Man. It's so good. The isometric controls have a bit of a learning curve, but they work great and it has a pretty timeless art style. The game is cute and fun, with FMVs that feel right out of a movie theater CGI intro. Very charming and plenty tough so far. Anyone played this one? Really impressed too with how it looks via PS2 with component on an HDTV, even. I wonder if it'll look even better with RGB.

After a few bailed attempts, I will finally attempt to beat Grandia once and for all, love this game, but I always end up leaving and it getting lost in my backlog.

Not this time!

Starting my new playthrough tomorrow.

Borman

Ah, very nice! Where did you find that? :)

Had it shipped from Japan.

Its a part of a series of games (the Millenium Collection) from Square, each with a special item or items included. FFT includes a clock and a pack of playing cards. Orlandu is the Ace, go figure.

Top Bottom