• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Had it shipped from Japan.

Its a part of a series of games (the Millenium Collection) from Square, each with a special item or items included. FFT includes a clock and a pack of playing cards. Orlandu is the Ace, go figure.

I'm pretty sure the Xenogears Millenium Collection is like the only source of Xenogears related figures. Still mad that Gear models were never put out, those would have been great.

That's Kurushi in Europe right?

When we all are in on the subject of puzzlers, one of my favourite ones from PS1 is Kula World. Nice relaxing presentation and music, awesome game!

Kula_World_Coverart.png

Why does the European version of that game go for so much? $40 and up, really? You can get the US version of the game, Roll Away, for $5-15... it is a good game though, for sure. But that's a big price differential.

Why does the European version of that game go for so much? $40 and up, really? You can get the US version of the game, Roll Away, for $5-15... it is a good game though, for sure. But that's a big price differential.

I really don't know and it's especially strange considering the game was made in Sweden!

Maybe it was more famous here in Europe and as such the demand is higher.

Got this on a demo disc when i was a child...currently on psn...really fun puzzle game
I played that same demo! Think it had Test Drive 5 and Nightmare Creatures on it!

I really don't know and it's especially strange considering the game was made in Sweden!

Maybe it was more famous here in Europe and as such the demand is higher.

It's definitely a fairly obscure game in the US, but I'd think that might drive the price more up than down, if it didn't sell... but I guess not.

maxcriden

So I've been playing Spot Goes to Hollywood and there's a secret level I can't find the secret exit for, for the life of me. My wife and I have been scouring the level preceding levels in World 2 - Adventure for quite a while, these are Ancient Ruins and Wooden Walkway. The secret level is right after these so we suspect it's in Wooden Walkways but...we can't find it. Anywhere. We also can't seem to find any walkthroughs or Let's Plays that go through the whole game and find the secret exits. There are some for the Genesis game but that one has different levels. There's one in Russian but we don't speak Russian and it's not clear where the secret exit is. Ah, man. We would really like to figure this out. If anyone can help please let me know! Thanks!

After my recent purchases I officially enter into this thread and on the PS1 collecting mania

Of course rules for my collection are the same for the Saturn one : only complete jp games with spine-card

Actually I just want to look for obscure games (and as you can notice from the picture above I like racing games :D )

Khaz

Damn, the save files of Castlevania SOTN aren't compatible between regions, I can't use my old PAL saves :( I wish I knew back then that 50Hz was disc-dependent.

Big thanks to CidHighwind89 over in the BST thread for getting me hooked up with these beauties. Still need to find the "M" case for 3, but otherwise I'm very happy. Spent a LONG time playing Legend of the Valkyrie with the GF last night.

mp1jz5vl.jpg
Awesome! I just found a manual-less copy of Volume 5 in a clearance dump bin with other disc only, non complete games at a local shop. I was shocked to see it. A few years back I found a disc only Tactics Ogre for $2.99.

Bumhead

Banned
I got a PS1 for Christmas yesterday.

jmj2AEv

Was chatting with my Mum about our PS1 memories the other week during the 20th anniversary celebrations, so she got me one. Absolutely thrilled to be honest, I very nearly bought one myself a couple of weeks ago but wasn't expecting to get one yesterday. Unboxing a PS1 for Christmas was a ridiculously joyous nostalgia bomb.

Going to start a collection from here I think. Maybe treat myself to a game or two a month depending on prices and availability. The eBay auction my Mum won came with SimCity 2000 so that's my start point.

God, that final fantasy 7 versus guide was so awesome. My cousins and I read it constantly over and over. I think it ended up falling apart from wear, lol.

Mzo

God, that final fantasy 7 versus guide was so awesome. My cousins and I read it constantly over and over. I think it ended up falling apart from wear, lol.

Yeah I had to glue the cover back on the spine on mine. All those early Versus guides are fantastic; Casey Lowe was amazing at them.

Yeah I had to glue the cover back on the spine on mine. All those early Versus guides are fantastic; Casey Lowe was amazing at them.

I ended up finding another one at a funcoland back when those still existed for $10.

Years later it turns out they were going for $100 or so!

Replaying suikoden 1 and man what a fantastic game. I wonder why its so overlooked in north america?

If it has been a late SNES title I bet it would have gotten the attention it deserved.

Just started Suikoden II. Soundtrack is good AF

Everything is good AF. Except some of the graphical quirks.

Have some spare money right now so I've been looking to expand my PSX collection a bit. Anyone got some suggestions for lesser known cheaper games? Most of the lists online seem pretty same-y.

I got a PS1 for Christmas yesterday.

jmj2AEv

Was chatting with my Mum about our PS1 memories the other week during the 20th anniversary celebrations, so she got me one. Absolutely thrilled to be honest, I very nearly bought one myself a couple of weeks ago but wasn't expecting to get one yesterday. Unboxing a PS1 for Christmas was a ridiculously joyous nostalgia bomb.

Going to start a collection from here I think. Maybe treat myself to a game or two a month depending on prices and availability. The eBay auction my Mum won came with SimCity 2000 so that's my start point.
Awww. Nice. Enjoy! I think PS1 in particular is a lot of fun to collect for. Your mileage and amount of nostalgia will vary, of course, but it sounds like you have the latter covered. Have fun, man.

My Playstation is doing that thing where it'll only read games when you set it at an angle. Should I replace the drive or track down a PSOne slim?

Teknoman

I ended up finding another one at a funcoland back when those still existed for $10.

Years later it turns out they were going for $100 or so!

Replaying suikoden 1 and man what a fantastic game. I wonder why its so overlooked in north america?

If it has been a late SNES title I bet it would have gotten the attention it deserved.

I blame the cover art.

Any suggestions for where to hunt for a NTSC-J PSOne for a decent price? A Japanese PS2 would be even better, but I seem to have even less luck in that search.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thought I'd share my Christmas spoils with you guys. I got these two from a good friend. Both great games but I'm really sad to say that the Ghost in the Shell game is an ex-rental and the disc is in fucking horrible condition. My friend who bought it for me looked really hard to get it. What's worse is that it doesn't work. The second level just won't load. I don't want to upset him and tell him, so I'm gonna keep it quiet. Chrono Cross on the other hand is a new copy. ;)

That's a shame. Ghost in the Shell isn't some sort of amazing game, but it's still playable today. Has some neat mechanics like being able to climb on walls and slide fast across levels. Definitely worth a playthrough. Combine the gameplay with a smooth presentation of widescreen support, a kickass soundtrack, and some neat animated cutscenes and it's unquestionably a keeper for any PS1 collection.

Yeah, sorry about that... did a quick Googling and picked up the wrong screenshot. Should have known better. Thanks for the correction! :)

No problem!

Anyway, your post reminded me that I haven't really played that copy of Air Combat that I got back in January, besides a few quick matches once with my brother. Maybe I'll play that later.

Namco was godlike at the end of the PS1 generation. Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere were amazing and had incredible music/presentation/graphics/gameplay.

No problem!

Anyway, your post reminded me that I haven't really played that copy of Air Combat that I got back in January, besides a few quick matches once with my brother. Maybe I'll play that later.

Happy gaming! I have a sudden urge to play one of those ChoroQ racers right now, haha.

Choro+Q3+-+02-763900.png

Namco was godlike at the end of the PS1 generation. Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere were amazing and had incredible music/presentation/graphics/gameplay.

Yeah, they had amazing graphics but I felt something was missing. I still preferred Rage Racer and Ace Combat 2.

Psxdad

Just want to chime in as 2014 is coming to a close that I've ended the year getting my collection of PS1 games up to 59 games. Added some more since I last posted. Very happy with my additions this year and look forward to more next year.

Bumhead

Banned
Awww. Nice. Enjoy! I think PS1 in particular is a lot of fun to collect for. Your mileage and amount of nostalgia will vary, of course, but it sounds like you have the latter covered. Have fun, man.

Heh, absolutely! The PS1 was my first ever gaming system and thus I have a ridiculous amount of nostalgia for it.

I own some of the games I most want digitally, but I don't mind double dipping. I also own almost zero physical media these days, but I think I can make an exception for a PS1 collection.

I been wanting to start a collection and the prices on eBay and elsewhere seem to be rising rapidly compared to how it was a year ago. Even titles that aren't RPGs. A bit disheartening since I was completely broke back then. I guess I'll have to resort to thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales now.

Petrae

I been wanting to start a collection and the prices on eBay and elsewhere seem to be rising rapidly compared to how it was a year ago. Even titles that aren't RPGs. A bit disheartening since I was completely broke back then. I guess I'll have to resort to thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales now.

Yup. PlayStation game prices are definitely on the way up. When independent game stores can sell NFL GameDay '97 for $6, you know the trend we're heading in.

The platform is 20 years old now, too. It's considered "old-school" by many, and was the first gaming console for a lot of players. There's going to be some sentimentality for the games, especially since they still run on PS3 hardware.

Fusebox

Banned
Ok guys I'm motivated to collect some of my fave PSX games. How much should I expect to pay for good condition copies of games like...

Bust A Groove (PAL, the dance one. Is it 50hz? Should I get the NTSC one instead?)
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX

In fact I probably shouldn't be buying PAL versions of FF either, VII feels especially slow in 50hz. Might have to get a modded PSX instead and collect the NTSC versions.

Ok guys I'm motivated to collect some of my fave PSX games. How much should I expect to pay for good condition copies of games like...

Bust A Groove (PAL, the dance one. Is it 50hz? Should I get the NTSC one instead?)
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX

In fact I probably shouldn't be buying PAL versions of FF either, VII feels especially slow in 50hz. Might have to get a modded PSX instead and collect the NTSC versions.

Depends on how patient you are. For example, FFVII will sell for anything from 10-50$. FFVII and FFIX are pretty easy to come by for 15$ or so. Can be found for less.

No clue on Bust A Groove, though.

Thx man, I think I'll start hunting now before it all goes up even higher.

for what it's worth, I don't think PSX games are climbing much at the moment. Some of the big names are climbing, but games that sold well seem to have stagnated for a while now. In fact, it seems like some games are falling a bit for whatever reason.

Someone more in-the-know might say differently though, take my comment with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom