• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Fusebox

Banned
Sweet, and thinking about it some more, these are really just shelf-decoration. I already have NTSC versions of all these games on PSN and can play them at full-speed on my Vita and PS3 anytime so I think I'll grab the PAL versions if I see them anywhere.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah... I think a lot of the common games (ie Square RPGs) are actually worth less than they were in the 2000s. I think PSN availability caused that.

I wouldn't worry about PS1 games going up...

Def Jukie

Yeah, I think prices have actually come down considerably on a lot of games due to them being available on PSN. I also think there are people out there that have a fear of disc rot which personally I have found to be completely overblown. There are still some that command a high price but Square games for example are much cheaper than they were 5 or so years ago. I've picked up quite a few PS1 games over the last year and for the most part have been pleased with how affordable many games are. Compared to SNES games, they are a damn bargain. I also think people have different criteria when it comes to game prices. I don't think paying $30 to $50 for 15 to 20 year old games is unreasonable.

Just want to chime in as 2014 is coming to a close that I've ended the year getting my collection of PS1 games up to 59 games. Added some more since I last posted. Very happy with my additions this year and look forward to more next year.

Thats impressive..i don't have many physical copies but i have approx just under 40 ps1 games on the ps3

seems suikoden is coasting at about 90$ for a good copy. still 100-120 for a really nice one.

However.... that's better then when it spiked like 6 months ago to 150 for a passable complete copy.

Def Jukie

I think there are a couple of key differences between something available on PSN and Virtual Console that help keep Playstation games more reasonable than titles available on VC. Firstly, there is the fact that PSN has a proper account system that allows you to play your games on multiple devices as apposed to Nintendo's horrendous system they have in place. Also, I really think that there are collector's out there that are turned off from collecting optical media due to the fear of disc rot and the fact that consoles with disc drives are more prone to breaking due to laser issues. Lastly the prices on PSN are very reasonable and there are sales pretty often which doesn't happen much on VC. I think there are plenty of people content on just getting an older game on PSN for a very low price and not bothering with a physical copy.

I often see people say that digital releases don't affect prices on old physical copies but from what I can tell there definitely is a correlation between prices and what is available on PSN. I think if Nintendo had a better system in place for VC games with cross buy the prices would probably come down on a lot of games. I suspect the way Nintendo has handled VC on Wii U has killed a lot of interest in the platform which increases demand for carts.

533757-ascii_grip.gif

This controller (ASCII grip) is pretty great for RPGs. Anyone else a fan?

Khaz

Huh. I think that might throw me off. Hard to imagine how my muscle memory would react to that lol.

You just choose one set and carry on with your gaming ;) The buttons you will really use are underside as triggers anyway.

My only gripe with the design is that it's more difficult to pres the direction away from your hand (press right when holding it with the left hand). But it's because we are used to holding our controllers with both hands, counter balancing the weight with our right hand. The lack of stability due to its single hand design makes me prefer the rarer PS2 variant, same design but with a stick instead of a cross. It's still a very good controller though.

Def Jukie

I was just thinking about those one handed controllers the other day. I thought about getting one back in the day and have been contemplating picking one up now so I can play RPGs and have a hand free to hold a beer.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There was a Super Famicom one too... I remember seeing it waaaaaay back in day in EGM... Must have been 1993 or so. Filed under "whoa Japan has some crazy shit" in true 1990s style.

Nowadays I'd love to have one of those. I don't know what I'd do with my free hand though (don't say it).

There was a Super Famicom one too... I remember seeing it waaaaaay back in day in EGM... Must have been 1993 or so. Filed under "whoa Japan has some crazy shit" in true 1990s style.

Nowadays I'd love to have one of those. I don't know what I'd do with my free hand though (don't say it).

lol.

look at a walkthough on your phone, or eat some snacks.

Khaz

They're really not that expensive on eBay. Only the PS2 one can be difficult to find.
Look for Ascii Grip.

Play with your joystick
while playing Ace Combat on a separate tv?!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
8 bucks for ghost in the shell? Wow I'm jealous.

Ghost in the Shell complete for $8 is crazy good.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked to see it at that price. I picked it up from a local game store and I'm pretty positive they check all games that get traded into their store against eBay prices before the put them up for sale and they normally keep their pricier games behind the counter.

I apparently caught them slipping because this game was on the shelves with their "junk" games and it was cheap!

Worst spent $19 ever. xD

Nah, I mainly collect RPGs and niche games, so to me $19 spent on something else is a worst way to spend that money, haha.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked to see it at that price. I picked it up from a local game store and I'm pretty positive they check all games that get traded into their store against eBay prices before the put them up for sale and they normally keep their pricier games behind the counter.

I apparently caught them slipping because this game was on the shelves with their "junk" games and it was cheap!

Nah, I mainly collect RPGs and niche games, so to me $19 spent on something else is a worst way to spend that money, haha.

I picked it up for under $10 last year too. Had heard good things about the game on some youtube channel so i kept an eye out for it. Seems to be one that gets overlooked a lot.

I understand the whole 1002 model = audiophile spec myth was debunked but still, some of these mods are fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJvrf22Hx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trSXnioLh3c

Some guy was on this retro gaming facebook group I'm on talking about how he found the "audio file" playstation 1. It took me a while to figure out what the hell he was talking about then i said it out loud - audiophile..

So is it actually not true that the early models sound better? I thought it sounded a little bit clearer when i hooked them up to my surround sound using Street Fighter Alpha with redbook audio to test. But the difference was marginal at best.

xydkjox.png

Everyone on that group is a fucking idiot or scumbag.

You know, this is actually probably true. I remember seeing the game on clearance at Meijer in michigan when i was in high school and passing on it because the cover looked so shit even though i had heard it was a good game.

It's really strange, but I was thinking about this recently. The shit cover-art really turned me off of some PAL and NTSC-U releases.

It sounds superficial, but some of the beautiful japanese covers can really enhance my perception of a game.

I bought Tron Bonne at launch, PAL version. Never played it much, although it didn't help that we suffered 50hz conversions and letterboxes in Europe at that time. It felt like a cheap cash-in when I played it at the time, it was only years later that I was surprised to find people actually liked it.

The NTSCJ version looks so much better. It just raises my expectations and adds to my imagination.

Ridge Racer Type 4 is another huge offender

My first Sony console was the PS1 with the screen attached, my first game was power rangers. I loved and played it to death. I first console was the NES and then the SNES but something about the PS1 made it way more memorable.

alf717

Well I had myself a good week last week. I was finally able to complete my original Rockman collection on the PS1 with the first print copies that have the pocketstation features. Had Rockman 1 - 4 for years but always had trouble with Rockman 5 and 6 until last week. Couldn't believe how lucky I was to find Rockman 5 brand new and from a seller in the US while Rockman 6 just came in all the way from Japan.

Top Bottom