• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

When it comes to cover art I really think PAL got the coolest Ridge Racer Type 4 cover:

Capa-Ridge-Racer-Type-4-PAL-SCES-01706-CD-CASE-PS1-ISOS.jpg

hipgnosis

Yeah, I think prices have actually come down considerably on a lot of games due to them being available on PSN. I also think there are people out there that have a fear of disc rot which personally I have found to be completely overblown. There are still some that command a high price but Square games for example are much cheaper than they were 5 or so years ago. I've picked up quite a few PS1 games over the last year and for the most part have been pleased with how affordable many games are. Compared to SNES games, they are a damn bargain. I also think people have different criteria when it comes to game prices. I don't think paying $30 to $50 for 15 to 20 year old games is unreasonable.

I think some PAL games have actually increased in price in the last years. For example SOTN Collector's Edition now fetches close to 200€, Suikoden II is at 150€, Megaman games 100€, Tombi! 100€ etc. Lots of other rarer games at 100€ as well. The more common ones but desired games have held their values nicely as well. I think the interest for the PS1 is increasing and people view it as retro now and has much nostalgia for the titles. Now that the PS brand is going strong I I believe the demand will stay strong in the future.

vato_loco

My GF got me a PS1 not long ago, and I'm enjoying it to the fullest. Yes, it looks like ass on an HDTV, but it's not a game breaker by any means.

Playing Parasite Eve 2, Resident Evil 2, and I've already got Parappa and Final Fantasy IX on hold.

This year I'm finally going to get through the Playstation games I've picked up over the years. Yesterday I finished Ape Escape, a game I've never played until now but really, really enjoyed. I loved the levels, gadgets and the addictive nature to tracking down all the monkeys for the best ending. The "final" level was pretty epic in length as well, must have taken me an hour at least to finish it, though on the flipside at least I got all but one of the monkeys on it! This has quickly become my favourite 3D platformer for the system.

Next up on my play list is Klonoa, Tombi and Fear Effect.

I think some PAL games have actually increased in price in the last years. For example SOTN Collector's Edition now fetches close to 200€, Suikoden II is at 150€, Megaman games 100€, Tombi! 100€ etc. Lots of other rarer games at 100€ as well. The more common ones but desired games have held their values nicely as well. I think the interest for the PS1 is increasing and people view it as retro now and has much nostalgia for the titles. Now that the PS brand is going strong I I believe the demand will stay strong in the future.

In Suikoden II's case, didn't the PAL version fix some glitches and translation errors over the NTSC/U release? Maybe that's why it's so pricey.

maxcriden

Rayman's great, too...but it gets really hard later on.

Anyway, thanks to sixteen-bit mentioning it, I'm playing Castlevania Chronicles right now. Hah.

Oh, I can't believe I didn't mention Rayman. My wife and I are playing it right now. It's obscenely hard but we're loving it.

Ooh, don't overlook Skullmonkeys! It's a bit pricey...and one of the most difficult games that I've ever played, but it sure is fun. And the soundtrack is a treat!
A review I found online.

Oh, I'm not familiar with that one. It looks interesting. Weird and dark. Is The Neverhood similar? They're both platformers? Thanks!

GUN-NAC

In Suikoden II's case, didn't the PAL version fix some glitches and translation errors over the NTSC/U release? Maybe that's why it's so pricey.

It's still bugged. The best way to play the PS1 original is by making a copy of the game and applying the fan patch -
https://web.archive.org/web/2013032...gfixes.wikispaces.com/Suikoden+II+Patch+Files

And I remember some sort of video glitch (at the top of the screen) on my UK copy. Still, I wish I hadn't traded it in to CEX for almost nothing.

Def Jukie

This year I'm finally going to get through the Playstation games I've picked up over the years. Yesterday I finished Ape Escape, a game I've never played until now but really, really enjoyed. I loved the levels, gadgets and the addictive nature to tracking down all the monkeys for the best ending. The "final" level was pretty epic in length as well, must have taken me an hour at least to finish it, though on the flipside at least I got all but one of the monkeys on it! This has quickly become my favourite 3D platformer for the system.

Next up on my play list is Klonoa, Tombi and Fear Effect.

I'm doing the same thing as well. Started the year up with Final Fantasy Tactics, a game that I played a lot when it was released but don't think I ever finished. Well, I finished it a few days ago and that game holds up incredibly well. I had a ton of fun going through it and messing around with different skill combinations and job classes. This is my favorite FF game even if it's not a main entry.

I'm looking for a copy of Ape Escape. I played a demo back in the day and really liked it but never played the full game. Glad to see you liked it so much. I just started up Suikoden the other day which is another one I had way back when but don't remember that much about it. I got the castle already and have maybe 30 characters so far. Having a great time with the PS1 so far this year.

oldmario

any PAL users here have any experience with Sony Trinitron CRT screens? got one from a local website for free, came with no remote which is fine because i can control it with my tablet as far as menu, numbers or d-pad/volume is concerned but one problem i'm having is it seems to be stuck in permanant letterbox mode, i've tried a couple PS1 and PS3 (setting it to 4:3 or 16:9 does nothing) on scart and nothing changes it still plays in letterbox mode

looked at the menu nothing special only picture settings with contrast/brightness/sharpness which the last one i can't actually change on any setting, there's the usual channel tuning option and an advanced settings option with parental controls, noise reduction and RGB centering which just moves the picture left and right

404378.jpg

it looks like this but in silver/grey i can't get the exact model number since the previous owner (i guess their kids did it) tore the sticker off the back with the model on

I like to color match my accessories. Anyone know where I can buy a 1st party PSOne memory card that's the same color as the system? Was it Japan exclusive?

I'm pretty sure that my store just recently sold an official Sony card (still in the blister pack!) that was the same color as the PSOne. As far as I know, it was released in the US.

Zing

Banned
I like to color match my accessories. Anyone know where I can buy a 1st party PSOne memory card that's the same color as the system? Was it Japan exclusive?
It was available in all three territories. I have several bought brand new. They are "light grey" colour. Model SCPH-1020 UHI (if you want the USA version, but literally the only difference between the regions is packaging; the hardware is identical down to the regulations label).

Khaz

314AMY8RW4L._SX385_.jpg

No, I've never been able to find one either. The picture is from Amazon but when I bought some from the resellers, they just sent me the usual grey chinese bootleg.

I'm doing the same thing as well. Started the year up with Final Fantasy Tactics, a game that I played a lot when it was released but don't think I ever finished. Well, I finished it a few days ago and that game holds up incredibly well. I had a ton of fun going through it and messing around with different skill combinations and job classes. This is my favorite FF game even if it's not a main entry.

I'm looking for a copy of Ape Escape. I played a demo back in the day and really liked it but never played the full game. Glad to see you liked it so much. I just started up Suikoden the other day which is another one I had way back when but don't remember that much about it. I got the castle already and have maybe 30 characters so far. Having a great time with the PS1 so far this year.

I'm not much of an RPG fan in general but I do really rate the Suikoden series. The early games are packed with excellent characters and great stories. I was lucky enough to get the second game for 50p in a charity shop purely by luck!

I've now completed Ape Escape, getting the last few monkeys was no problem, I really do like the level design in this game, that coupled with the monkey radar makes exploring the levels a pleasure and never a chore. Its really worth tracking down in my opinion, its a great 3D platformer for sure.

I've now moved onto Klonoa, a pretty 2D platformer by Namco. Its yet another game I've owned for years yet never put any time into it. I'm not disappointed so far, its a nice fast paced 2D platformer with some decent sized levels and hidden stuff to find. If I had to nit pick about one thing in the game though I'd say that so far the game seems a tad too easy, the only couple of times I've died is due to my own stupidity jumping into bottomless pits!

cs060mk2

any PAL users here have any experience with Sony Trinitron CRT screens? got one from a local website for free, came with no remote which is fine because i can control it with my tablet as far as menu, numbers or d-pad/volume is concerned but one problem i'm having is it seems to be stuck in permanant letterbox mode, i've tried a couple PS1 and PS3 (setting it to 4:3 or 16:9 does nothing) on scart and nothing changes it still plays in letterbox mode

looked at the menu nothing special only picture settings with contrast/brightness/sharpness which the last one i can't actually change on any setting, there's the usual channel tuning option and an advanced settings option with parental controls, noise reduction and RGB centering which just moves the picture left and right

404378.jpg

it looks like this but in silver/grey i can't get the exact model number since the previous owner (i guess their kids did it) tore the sticker off the back with the model on

I have that TV, there is no button on it to change from letterbox to regular and it auto selects letterbox on some of my gear such as my Gamecube and Saturn. But I have a Sony remote from another TV that works on the TV so I can select different screen mode. I suggest you track down a compatible remote, it is a great TV.

I'm starting to think there's someone buying up all the copies of Suikoden II on ebay. Pretty strange that they are ALL being bought regardless of price.

I'm starting to think there's someone buying up all the copies of Suikoden II on ebay. Pretty strange that they are ALL being bought regardless of price.

I would bet someone actually is. Lukiegames or some other big ebay store is using bots to buy up every copy to corner the market.

Mzo

No store front, online only, RIDICULOUS fucking prices.

I looked into them and wrote them off pretty early after moving here.

Teknoman

I'd say just wait for the 80 dollar ones if you're going for a physical still. I lucked out right before Christmas, on ebay of all things complete, about 80 or so bucks shipped.

I'd say just wait for the 80 dollar ones if you're going for a physical still. I lucked out right before Christmas, on ebay of all things complete, about 80 or so bucks shipped.

I'm trying, but there seem to be someone who just drops a 150$ max bid and walks away.

oldmario

I have that TV, there is no button on it to change from letterbox to regular and it auto selects letterbox on some of my gear such as my Gamecube and Saturn. But I have a Sony remote from another TV that works on the TV so I can select different screen mode. I suggest you track down a compatible remote, it is a great TV.

i was able to find an app online that let me change the aspect ratio but whenever i turn the tv off and back on it will revert back to 16:9 is there any way to force it to stay 4:3? the app only has a free trial for 7 days and judging by the reviews it's kinda pricey when it does eventually ask to buy it, might try and just take the easy route and go to a local tip and see if they'll give me a sony remote

404378.jpg

I had the Sony TV (it's very good by the way) and there was a wide button on the remote. From memory, that was the only way to adjust it. I do have the manual though still, I'll see if there is another way of doing it..

Can you not download TV profiles for your tablet that would cover the Wide button?

alf717

Yeah, so i can clean discs and if necessary remove scratches. I found some on eBay but there are no reviews so it doesn't fill me with confidence for a purchase.

On another note, here is my latest bag of swag. I hit 300 in my collection.

R8WyapW.jpg

Tales of Destiny is a pretty cool game. I got pretty far and never finished it though. One thing I found annoying was that the voices and music play really loud in that game. Luckily you can turn them down if you find them bothersome. Just seeing that box gives me the DeusEx effect. I should finish up that save file some day. That or start all over. I think it was the part where you solve the really vague puzzles where I got stuck.

Velinos

Yeah, so i can clean discs and if necessary remove scratches. I found some on eBay but there are no reviews so it doesn't fill me with confidence for a purchase.

On another note, here is my latest bag of swag. I hit 300 in my collection.

R8WyapW.jpg

Tales of Destiny is one of my favorite PS1 games and I am happy to have finally found a copy for a decent price recently after searching for over a decade. It was the first Tales game that I played and I have been a fan of the series ever since. I really enjoy the 2D-fighter style fights and the game has funny dialog and great music.

entremet

It's crazy how much sealed games still exist at retail for decent prices. Tons of PS1 discs were pressed it seemed.

I just got Buster Brothers Collection (Or Pang Collection for PAL peeps) for 15 bucks on Amazon brand new.

It's crazy how much sealed games still exist at retail for decent prices. Tons of PS1 discs were pressed it seemed.

I just got Buster Brothers Collection (Or Pang Collection for PAL peeps) for 15 bucks on Amazon brand new.

The last time I went to a flea market, one vendor has like 20 sealed Greatest Hits versions of Cool Boarders 4, lol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey..
So I just bought a PS1 and a few games!

I got

Castlevania SOTN
Point Blank
Jet Moto2
Tenchu

With point blank, I got a GunCon. Now, I tested the GunCon with the Playstation and Point Blank at his house.. but I got home and it won't work.

The GunCon plugs in through a passthrough on the AV cable and when the Guncon is connected there is no picture. I have a completely run of the mill CRT from the mid nineties so there shouldn't be any compatibility issue.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I know it works because I played it 3 hours ago at the guys house.

Hey..
So I just bought a PS1 and a few games!

I got

Castlevania SOTN
Point Blank
Jet Moto2
Tenchu

With point blank, I got a GunCon. Now, I tested the GunCon with the Playstation and Point Blank at his house.. but I got home and it won't work.

The GunCon plugs in through a passthrough on the AV cable and when the Guncon is connected there is no picture. I have a completely run of the mill CRT from the mid nineties so there shouldn't be any compatibility issue.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I know it works because I played it 3 hours ago at the guys house.
Try turning the brightness way up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Try turning the brightness way up.

I could try that but there is also no sound.... the playstation does not seem to be booting.

I had a semi-breakthrough. I plugged the GunCons passthrough dongle in without plugging the guncon into the playstation and was able to get a picture for a minute. It was flickery and the color was off, the best I can describe it as is when the PS2 macroblocking chip would kick in on DVDs when connected to a VCR.

I turned it off, plugged the gun into the controller port and turned it back on and no dice. After that I no longer was able to get it to display the flickery picture without the gun plugged in.

I think it might be the third party AV cable or my TV is possibly too old or too ghetto? The guy who runs the retroshack has a nice Sony CRT.. mine is a bust-ass panasonic that is nearly dead.

The Symphony of the night disk I bought for 20$ is also so scratched the music wont play.. :\ (no, i didnt check at the place i was kinda stoned and we booted it up and watched the first bit of it so it seemd fine. also the lighting was pretty dim) thinking of either cleaning it or ripping it and burning a copy to play via the swap trick.

Jet Moto2 is not great, but I like those games because theyre dumb.

Tenchu is pretty much what I'm left with to play. I think I've heard good things about it so I'm eager to check it out. I played the first couple segments earlier and it was good. The controls were quite dated though.

I already texted him and hes super cool and willing to work with me so its not like a bad thing. Just sort disappointing, I was excited to play Point Blank all night long.

EDIT:
Is the Pocketstation compatible with the US playstation?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda just want it to be fancy and use as a normal memory card. Accoding to wikipedia R4 uses it too.

So a bit of tape on the GunCon cable got it working!!!! Point Blank is so much damn fun ts amazing.

Leynos

I kinda just want it to be fancy and use as a normal memory card. Accoding to wikipedia R4 uses it too.

So a bit of tape on the GunCon cable got it working!!!! Point Blank is so much damn fun ts amazing.

I love that you have a TV cozy. What game is that in the Genesis/Megadrive? Point Blank always looked fun, but it won't work on my CRT.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's biohazard battle. Man point blanks is so good in still playing itS in afraid to unhook it because it might not work again.

Khaz

I'm not familiar with the guncon. What is happening here?

Mzo

The PS GunCon is way sturdier than the GC2. I've already had to reinforce the trigger on two of those =/

I haven't played any Point Blank games past the first but yes, it is AMAZINGLY fun. It also has one of those really out of place RPG modes where the battles are the minigames...

I'm not familiar with the guncon. What is happening here?

GunCons plug in to the controller port and also to the TV as a passthrough for the RCA video cable. Looks like his cable might be kind of loose?

Top Bottom