• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Playstation is so much fun. Point Blank is the greatest game to play right after you wake up.

NeGcon and Pocketstation are my next purchases for it.
I haven't played any Point Blank games past the first but yes, it is AMAZINGLY fun. It also has one of those really out of place RPG modes where the battles are the minigames...
What?! That's the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Picked up copy of ghost in the shell for about 25$. Anxious to play through it. Anyone know off the top of their head if it has analog control?

Adventure of Little Ralph as good as it looks?

It's a fun breezy platformer with neat fruit chains ala Adventure Island. The mechanics are tight, but the level design leaves something to be desired. Does not congeal into something better than its parts. Worth a play, but not at an extravagant price.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, Point Blank does indeed have an RPG mode complete with random battles. Just encountered some clay pigeons that hopped out of the grass and taunted me. LOL this is amazing.

hipgnosis

m4BXQFk.jpg

I have been playing a lot of Megaman X3 on the PS1 recently. I'm quite enjoying this game and this is actually the first of the X-series that I've played thoroughly. The game seemed pretty damn difficult at first but I have started to grasp the controls better and have found a couple of upgrades and the game has become much more manageable now. So far I have beaten 4 bosses. I'm enjoying the soundtrack and the graphics are really nice. Controls are super tight and I like that there are stuff to find in the levels after you've found some upgrades that let you pass areas unreachable before.

I have all of the X-games on the PS1 and what I've read X4 is the best on the PS1. Should I play X5 and X6 as well or are those waste of my time?

Def Jukie

Point Blank's RPG mode is a great idea but ultimately, poorly executed. I haven't played it in a while but I remember it being incredibly obtuse and difficult to make progress without talking to characters over and over. On a related note I recently picked up Point Blank 2 and 3, looking forward to checking them out. I'm sure they are just more of the same but Point Blank is super fun so I don't care and they were both really cheap. I'm also on the hunt for a second guncon so I can play some 2 player. I'm thinking about getting the Black model that I think was only released in Japan.

alf717

If you enjoy X3, you should be fine with X5 and X6.

Yep I'll second this opinion as well.

I will say the only thing I found as a let down was that while X4 had some really nice anime style movies on them. I was disappointed when X5 and X6 were just mashing button through text. No VA in X5 and the VA in X6 was left in Japanese. X6 is the hardest game of the three on the PS1 but it really isn't as hard as some may make it out to be. If you can handle X3 you'll be fine in X6.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Played some Threads of Fate over the MLK holiday weekend - Beat Rue's quest and nearing the end
- at the Tower of Maya -
of Mint's quest. The game OOZES with charm, has nice music, and may very well be the best-looking fully-3D game on the platform, but the play mechanics leave much to be desired. The game is super-easy and you can continue without penalty by using easily-available items, and the platforming controls are extremely clunky.

Thinking of writing an LTTP post about the game... anyone in here a fan? Seems to be pretty unappreciated as far as Square's PS1 library goes; hell I myself skipped on the game for a while (even at $10 used :( ) and picked it up just last year.

Threads of Fate fell through the cracks for me. I remember picking it off the shelf at a store because I liked the box art, but I remember choosing up a different game instead that day. I should probably play it when I have the chance. Is it anything like Brave Fencer Musashi?

I think you would like it if you liked Musashi. Threads of Fate was just the right length, breezy and light in tone, and its a gorgeous game to top it all off. One of my favorite blind buys for sure.

vireland

Yeah, so i can clean discs and if necessary remove scratches. I found some on eBay but there are no reviews so it doesn't fill me with confidence for a purchase.

On another note, here is my latest bag of swag. I hit 300 in my collection.

R8WyapW.jpg

Just get some medium cut car polishing liquid, and some fine cut polishing liquid and rub the scratches with a soft cloth and the medium then the fine cut. They'll polish up plastic nicely and work great on CD/DVDs.

Suzzopher

People talk it up all the time, but to me it was pretty pedestrian and had a very "indie" look before indie was a thing. After playing it I still have no idea what the fuss is about.

I'd say it looks like a Psygnosis/Amiga game. It's not a great game, the boss fights are cool though.

This shot from the Ridge Racer 4 intro where it's tight on the bumper, there's a backfire out the exhaust, the car begins to drift, while the cityscape is scrolling in the backround is just simply amazing. It gives me goosebumps to this day.

It's such a brief moment but I remember it just getting me so excited to play this game. These 5 seconds or whatever is what ridge racer is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHpCa0_I_aU#t=59

Camp Lo

Banned
There's no thread for Xbox but I think my question could still get answers:

I've started collecting discs but I plan on putting them in binders and I was wondering if anyone else does that? I saw some DVD storage pages for binders on Amazon but nothing that caters to what gamers might need like spaces for booklets and such.

LpzG1RK.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions or websites I could use?

Teknoman

I have a large amount of loose disc only games for PS1 and PS2 in some binders. over 100 or so.

Mostly from when gamestop cleared out their inventory at dirt cheap prices, i bought a lot of stuff because it was all mostly under $1 or 2

Doesnt that make it easier for them to get scratched up or accidentally crushed?

Machine

Binders are fine for loose disks and shouldn't damage the game if properly used. But please don't put the game and manual in a binder and then pitch the jewel case and back insert.

Got my hands on Ghost in the Shell, finally. Yet another game that controls awfully at first but amazingly once you get going. Dodging bullets is super satisfying. Not very far in since I'm not feeling like playing console games, atm, but it's pretty great thus far.

I bought Tiny Tank last week at a local shop but couldn't get the damn thing to load on my PS2. Really perplexing since the disc looked perfect and had zero Disc Doctor marks...must have been professionally resurfaced too many times or something. Was really looking forward to playing it...oh well.

The same shop has a copy of Guilty Gear that I might pick up.

Think at this point I'm going to hold my cash for some of the big ones.

Still hunting for Suikoden II. Also interested in persona 1 and 2, valkyrie profile, and the lunar series.

I had a little look in the 'Retro Games' shop in town today and spotted this, so bought it.

B9j_FqZIQAAvZN1.jpg

It was a strange place as they had games for cheap I thought were expensive, and games I thought were cheap going for £25.

Pulled out the PSOne LCD combo on Sunday to test something. The power supply is dead. I was able to take it out to the car and plug it in using the cigarette lighter adapter to confirm that the console itself is still working (whew).

This is going to be an interesting hunt, considering the stand alone and LCD combos use different power supplies.

kaiju

Got a few new games. (c-12) Final Resistance has surprised me. It's a decent 3rd person post-apocalyptic shooter. Looks like it came out way late in the PS1's life cycle. 2002!

lots826_zpse407745a.jpg

Everything about Machine Head screams awesome, considering it's similar to one of my favorite PS1 games, Shadow Master. Haven't played it yet though.

lots823_zps8d15e9f4.jpg

Bought Blast Radius after reading "From the company that brought you Colony Wars". Sold!

lots827_zps4f36e7d2.jpg

Leynos

Got a few new games. (c-12) Final Resistance has surprised me. It's a decent 3rd person post-apocalyptic shooter. Looks like it came out way late in the PS1's life cycle. 2002!

lots826_zpse407745a.jpg

Everything about Machine Head screams awesome, considering it's similar to one of my favorite PS1 games, Shadow Master. Haven't played it yet though.

lots823_zps8d15e9f4.jpg

Bought Blast Radius after reading "From the company that brought you Colony Wars". Sold!

lots827_zps4f36e7d2.jpg

Don't go into Blast Radius thinking that it is even half the game that Colony Wars is, you'll save yourself some heartache. I can't give you any specifics as I haven't played it in years, but Blast Radius is a big drop in quality from Colony Wars, and G-Police.

Top Bottom