• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Recall

Yeah I have that disc. It came with Ridge Racer Type 4.

imagelxoav.jpg

baphomet

Pulled out the PSOne LCD combo on Sunday to test something. The power supply is dead. I was able to take it out to the car and plug it in using the cigarette lighter adapter to confirm that the console itself is still working (whew).

This is going to be an interesting hunt, considering the stand alone and LCD combos use different power supplies.

Its the same power adapter.

GUN-NAC

Who would've thought Namco would care to let console gamers see, and play the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS, back in 1998 / 1999 right ;)

Also, Gran Turismo 1 had that 60fps 'Hi-Fi Mode' time trial as an unlockable. Night time stage w/less background detail.

Here are some recent pick-ups -- I've been trying to fill in some holes. I have a package coming from a guy on NA that I'm pretty excited about, so I'll make sure to post when those come in. I'm having some issues with Braindead glitching out, but I think it's because I'm playing on a PS3. Punky Skunk was surprisingly fun and Batman Forever was just as bad as I've heard. Turns out I still suck at GG and Marvel too.

5TEnt6gl.jpg

kaiju

Don't go into Blast Radius thinking that it is even half the game that Colony Wars is, you'll save yourself some heartache. I can't give you any specifics as I haven't played it in years, but Blast Radius is a big drop in quality from Colony Wars, and G-Police.

Yeah I see what you mean. It's not even close. Still a fun shooter, it's way different though.

Here are some recent pick-ups -- I've been trying to fill in some holes. I have a package coming from a guy on NA that I'm pretty excited about, so I'll make sure to post when those come in. I'm having some issues with Braindead glitching out, but I think it's because I'm playing on a PS3. Punky Skunk was surprisingly fun and Batman Forever was just as bad as I've heard. Turns out I still suck at GG and Marvel too.

5TEnt6gl.jpg

Funny you mention Braindead glitching that happened to me too! Mine was scratched all to hell though, and it did the same thing in my PS2 so I returned it.

Punky Skunk is great, and a severely underrated platformer. Nice pickups.

leroidys

Was just checking Tron Bonne prices, holy FUCK has that game gotten nuts. I remember checking about a year ago and it was ~100, now it looks like you got to shell out 3 for a complete copy.

Was just checking Tron Bonne, prices, holy FUCK has that game gotten nuts. I remember checking about a year ago and it was ~100, now it looks like you got to shell out 3 for a complete copy.

I remember going to a con years back and laughing that a guy was selling it for $100 when it was selling for $60 on ebay at the time. A year later and it was around $140.

Wish mine didn't have a cracked manual...seems only the games that are worth a lot cib of mine have messed up manuals.

Was just checking Tron Bonne, prices, holy FUCK has that game gotten nuts. I remember checking about a year ago and it was ~100, now it looks like you got to shell out 3 for a complete copy.

Crazy. Tron Bonne was always among the first on my list of wanted games when I really started building my PS1 collection in the early 2000s. Despite always being on the lookout for it at all the local Electronic's Boutique and Gamestops, it wasn't until PS1 games were being cleared out that I ever came across of a complete mint copy for $10. I was surprised even at that time that GS hadn't marked up the price more since online it was then going for $60+.

kaiju

Was this game any good? I remember reading about it in a magazine, I think it was made on Sweden I recall. Briefly saw it on a PlayStation stand you could try. My limited economy as a teenager prevented me from buying it though.

It's actually pretty fun. Plays like a mission-based Twisted Metal. Controls are a bit cumbersome and take a bit getting used to (at least for me). The maps are impressive for a PS1 game, lots of secret areas, etc.

Some gameplay: http://youtu.be/FqL28vxNtU8

It's actually pretty fun. Plays like a mission-based Twisted Metal. Controls are a bit cumbersome and take a bit getting used to (at least for me). The maps are impressive for a PS1 game, lots of secret areas, etc.

Some gameplay: http://youtu.be/FqL28vxNtU8
That looks quite good for a free roaming PS1 game I agree! Looks like something I would have loved back in the day, I used to love Driver. Those indicators on the right side are really strange, one of the circles was for acceleration I saw in the video. Are the rest ammo and damage maybe?

Zing

Banned
Ok, I gave Power Shovel a sincere try. To the trade pile it goes.

Also, Rayman is just as frustrating as I remember it from 1995. Even that goddamn laugh at the checkpoints is still fresh in my mind from then.

kaiju

That looks quite good for a free roaming PS1 game I agree! Looks like something I would have loved back in the day, I used to love Driver. Those indicators on the right side are really strange, one of the circles was for acceleration I saw in the video. Are the rest ammo and damage maybe?

Top left is your health, top right is opponent's health, bottom left is current speed and bottom right is fuel level.

baphomet

Nope

Using the power supply that came with a stand alone PSOne on a combo is a bad idea.

You realize what you quoted isn't correct right? Its specifically made to power both the screen and console with the same power adapter.

Electronics will only pull the amperage they need. It could say 10amp and still work fine.

Zing

Banned
He typed the correct statement, though.

One thing that really bothers me about the LCD screen is that there is no way to power it off. I assumed that closing the "lid" would shut it off, but no. I'm in a darkened room and the screen is lighting up the place, even when folded up, and wearing out the fluorescent bulb.

baphomet

He typed the correct statement, though.

One thing that really bothers me about the LCD screen is that there is no way to power it off. I assumed that closing the "lid" would shut it off, but no. I'm in a darkened room and the screen is lighting up the place, even when folded up, and wearing out the fluorescent bulb.

The psone and screen run perfectly fine off only the psone power adapter.

Zing

Banned
If it was "perfectly fine", then why did Sony bother to release a combo specific adapter? I'm not debating that it may work, I'm just affirming the official stance reiterated by our friend here.

Zing

Banned
I always wondered if Sony tried to have their face buttons actually be in the shape of their intended shape. Like the square button actually square, triangle a triangle, etc. Haven't seen any, but the start button being "play" makes me wonder.

You realize what you quoted isn't correct right? Its specifically made to power both the screen and console with the same power adapter.

Electronics will only pull the amperage they need. It could say 10amp and still work fine.
AFIK, the PSOne alone or the combo doesn't have an on board power supply or converter of any kind. The plug itself IS the power supply in this case.

kaiju

Tiny Bullets is decent. Kind of fun game.

Yes it is. Feels a bit Tomb Raider-ish almost. Gotta luv the sling-shotter.

Quick note on Machine Head, a game I posted a dozen or so posts above. Sadly, a Shadow Master clone it is not. Controls are super clunky and awkward. No analog support. At least it's got a cool post-apocalyptic environment (similar to Necrodome) going for it. But I've either seriously lost touch with directional button movement or I just plain suck at this game. It's hard.

I give it props for having a funky electro-disco soundtrack and a super-creepy, weird FMV intro. Only something the 90's could produce: http://youtu.be/YZPp9Nu-sik

Borman, you always make me so jealous! I just have a passing interest in OG Xbox stuff but seeing some of the stuff you've posted in the other thread makes me drool...now you're doing the same thing over here! That's seriously an awesome pick up.

Borman

Thanks guys hah.

Ill be doing 4k video of it at some point. It'll be as high quality as has ever been seen :)

All it takes is some money and knowing the right people, no big deal right? Haha.

Rumor has it that it was Ken Kutaragi's controller of choice, before being overruled by higher ups.

That PS1 controller looks awesome. Dat d-pad.

Speaking of which, what's my best bet for a PS1 controller with a nice d-pad? Good ones I've seen don't have analogue sticks, which would be preferable.

That PS1 controller looks awesome. Dat d-pad.

Speaking of which, what's my best bet for a PS1 controller with a nice d-pad? Good ones I've seen don't have analogue sticks, which would be preferable.

I think it was only released in Japan, but the Hori Analog Sindou Pad is my favorite 3rd party PS1 controller. They released an Analog Sindou Pad 2 as well, which is basically the same thing but for PS2, so it supports the pressure sensitive buttons for the few games that need it.

If you're looking for a good Sega-style D-pad and analog sticks, it's probably your best bet. If you prefer + shaped d-pads, I dunno...

I think it was only released in Japan, but the Hori Analog Sindou Pad is my favorite 3rd party PS1 controller. They released an Analog Sindou Pad 2 as well, which is basically the same thing but for PS2, so it supports the pressure sensitive buttons for the few games that need it.

If you're looking for a good Sega-style D-pad and analog sticks, it's probably your best bet. If you prefer + shaped d-pads, I dunno...
Sexy! Affordable! Thanks for the info. I wonder if the PS2 pad works for PS1? (it's my understanding they do for the most part)

kaiju

The PS1 collecting bug has hit me hard again. Here are the new arrivals:

Night Striker

lots%20995_zpsi9vf1lbi.jpg

Syndicate Wars

lots%20996_zpsseit1dkv.jpg

Overblood

lots%20999_zps0bvuwfqq.jpg

Ninja: Shadow of Darkness

lots%201000_zpslkvfgtpc.jpg

bigcummer99

Neo Member
I've never been much into PS1 collecting because the PS2 was what I grew up with but I've had the itch to beef up my PS1 collection lately because it's pretty paltry. I went to a used game store in Murfreesboro yesterday and got a copy of Lunar Silver Star Complete for $50, it was in excellent condition and came with everything except the leather booklet so I figured why not. I'm currently lurking in the shadows waiting to snatch a good deal on Grandia.

Zing

Banned
I guess Overblood is one of those games I will just have to try for myself. The reviews are fairly consistently poor, but there seems to be plenty of fond memories of it mentioned.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I guess Overblood is one of those games I will just have to try for myself. The reviews are fairly consistently poor, but there seems to be plenty of fond memories of it mentioned.
I remember longing for a great new 3D adventure game. This one wasn't it.

However, I do remember (story spoiler)
when Pipo died, and I was pretty damned upset over it
which just goes to show that even flawed games can have good bits.

AlanOC91

I've spent far too much money on PS1 collecting over the past two months or so.

But god damn, it's been worth it. The Legend of Dragoon is such a fantastic game. Can't believe I never played it during the PS1 prime days.

If all goes to plan, next on the list is Clock Tower and Tombi 1/Tombi 2

pcw5YxF.jpg

Top Bottom