• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Peltz

My collection is slowly growing

Adds GT1+2 this weekend

uPASQRc.jpg

If there's a wrong way to stack games and post a picture of them on NeoGAF, then you sir have discovered it today.
(I kid, I kid... cool collection).

Sojiro

I've spent far too much money on PS1 collecting over the past two months or so.

But god damn, it's been worth it. The Legend of Dragoon is such a fantastic game. Can't believe I never played it during the PS1 prime days.

If all goes to plan, next on the list is Clock Tower and Tombi 1/Tombi 2

I remember really liking it as well, last time I played, which was basically when it launched. I will admit, the characters are a bit robotic/soulless, but the gameplay and story were pretty good so it was an enjoyable play through.

Really awesome thread here! I have been lurking on here for about a couple weeks now, and it has really hit some nostalgia pangs, getting me to pick up some PS1 titles again. I also agree with posts a few pages back, that while the PS2 definitely had a much larger and diverse library than the PS1, I personally feel the PS1 was the better console (I also rank SNES along with PS1 as my fave). When I get the time, i'll take a pic of my collection and add it to the thread. I have already seen some great collections that make me jealous :).

Velinos

Finally got the last PS1 RPG I am looking for off of Amazon Warehouse deals for a steal. I was worried about condition given the price and that it was listed as "Good" condition figuring that the cover or the manual might be ripped off or something, but it looks near mint. The only weird thing was that they did not only put a sticker on the back of the case, but also over the UPC on the insert. 20 minutes with a hairdryer and a little Goo Gone and it is good as new. Now to get back to finishing the first game.

NFQdZm3l.jpg

Here I fixed it for you, looks much better now. Nice start to the collection. I had no idea there was a Spider-Man 2 for PS1. Is it as good as the first?

I don't find it as good but elektro himself was always one my favourite spider-man villains so

I have a list i'm ever so slowly getting games from and man, the price of things like crash + spyro is crazy considering they probably sold a lot more than say road rash or descent

kaiju

Finally got the last PS1 RPG I am looking for off of Amazon Warehouse deals for a steal. I was worried about condition given the price and that it was listed as "Good" condition figuring that the cover or the manual might be ripped off or something, but it looks near mint. The only weird thing was that they did not only put a sticker on the back of the case, but also over the UPC on the insert. 20 minutes with a hairdryer and a little Goo Gone and it is good as new. Now to get back to finishing the first game.

NFQdZm3l.jpg

Great find. It seems like this game dropped in price a smidgen after it became available on PSN. It can now be had for under $100 if your lucky, before that, no chance.

Back in 2005, I curiously brought my copy of S2 into gamestop to see how much they would give me for trade-in credit for it. I was shocked that they offered me $115. That was the most I've ever been offered for a game from them. It was tempting, but I'm glad I held onto it.

Zing

Banned
I've been playing Rayman lately. I remembered the goddamn band land from 20 years ago. Yeah, it's still ultra difficult. I finally managed to get through to the mountain areas, but if the rest of the game is that difficult, then I am just going to bail. This game is ridiculously hard.

The weird thing is that the game originally (on Jaguar) didn't have the slippery pipes in band land. Maybe this part is so difficult since it was added in the PSone version. There are sections where you are jumping from slippery pipes as wide as Rayman himself.

Zing

Banned
Ok, I officially give up on Rayman. It's chock full of bullshit deaths. Not even trial and error deaths. Just straight up bullshit.

I'm trying T'ai Fu now. It's entertaining, but seems rather simple. There is no collecting items, just plowing my way through the stages. It is also very glitchy. I've fallen off the edge of the world once and got stuck. I also had a black screen when it was supposed to be loading. The hit detection is also very poor.

IrishNinja

man, so bummed i'd sold my launch-day Suiko 2 years ago for rent, got the disc back a while ago from former gaffer Himuro but still need a case/manual for it, which almost never turn up. i missed a $5 reprint manual on ebay moons ago & haven't seen one since

man, so bummed i'd sold my launch-day Suiko 2 years ago for rent, got the disc back a while ago from former gaffer Himuro but still need a case/manual for it, which almost never turn up. i missed a $5 reprint manual on ebay moons ago & haven't seen one since

Save come cash and do some coverproject justice.

IrishNinja

i totally did, but i still need a manual for this bitch
its lookin sloopy with just a paper cover taped on the inside of the jewel case

Cedric

I have a question (not sure if I'm in the right thread but wtv), maybe seven years ago I ordered a whole lot of PS1 games from EBGames/Gamestop. What I didn't know though is that some of them were disc only, or came in a generic CD case, and since I like having games on display it kinda bugs me... is there any way I can buy actual PS1 cases and print out my own stuff? For the longest time I even considered getting rid of them, but I won't get any money for it anyways (Croc 2, Crash 1, Spyro 1, Glover, Jersey Devil and Rayman).

kyubajin

Pdbh5U1.png

Here's my little collection. I'm trying to hunt down some other critical items like Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver, Grandia, Xenogears, Einhänder, Tenchu 2, and a long etc.

Btw, does anyone know where to buy replacement cases for multidisc games like the FFs?

Btw, does anyone know where to buy replacement cases for multidisc games like the FFs?

I don't know if it works for euro cases since I don't know if they are different, but you can just cannibalize the backs of two normal disk cases if the center conjoining piece of the 2 disk case you have isn't broken. Also ebay. There are sellers that just sell them in bulk, but you gotta make sure you are getting the right thing since they have tons of options.

Man, being a PAL gamer in the 32bit era sucked ass. Gnarly cases and shitty 50hz conversions everywhere.
It made me embrace importing US and NTSCJ games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, being a PAL gamer in the 32bit era sucked ass. Gnarly cases and shitty 50hz conversions everywhere.
It made me embrace importing US and NTSCJ games.

Yeah, at this point, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would collect PAL versions. What's the appeal? It's just a worse version of what the rest of the world got.

Yeah, at this point, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would collect PAL versions. What's the appeal? It's just a worse version of what the rest of the world got.
Tbf, there are some instances where pal might be preferable (suiko2 perhaps), but generally I agree.

Mitch

Banned
Bought a PS1 from a local shop, and it seems like the memory card slots are busted. The PS1 Sony brand card I bought works on my PS2, so I can't think of anything else.

The place is 25 minutes away, and I made two trips there this weekend, so I am gonna have to go exchange it another day.

They had a copy of Jade Cocoon I really wanted, but I didn't see a price. I'd really like to get a copy of FF8 & 9 as well, since mine were lost/stolen years ago.

My collection is pretty small. Traded in a lot over the years.

Simo

Nice thread! I don't collect PS1 games anymore but these are the ones I still have left and kept especially during my move from England to the US and took a quick photo of:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Not pictured, but next to me in the closet and storage:
  • Tekken 3 [Japan]
  • Metal Gear Solid Premium Edition [Japan]
  • PocketStation

Being in England meant you always got the short end of stick for games and releases and when I got a PS1 titles like Tomb Raider, Tekken 2 and Resident Evil were a revelation. So one day in a local game store in Leicester, and after following Resident Evil 2 in all the magazines etc, I came across RE2. It confused me at first because without the internet at the time I had no idea about the release date and why this was the only store to have it.

Turned out it was the US copy and so having quickly heard about the "pencil trick" I took the bus back down to the store with about 8 games including Time Crisis w/light gun and traded them all towards the game even without a solid way of playing it. Needless to say the pencil trick didn't work and having tracked down an electrical store that actually did console modding I got my system mod chipped. From then all my purchases were original US and Japanese imports.

Metal Gear Solid Premium Edition was a blind buy too considering it was the game everyone talked about because of all the magazines coverage it got but I knew nothing really about it. Best purchase ever.

Karsha

Maybe you guys can help me, I'm trying to find my first ever ps1 game but it seems impossible for years. I had the game for only 2 days and at the time I didn't know english. It was early 98 so the game must have been around that time or earlier and it had on cover 2 girls with black, one of them had black glasses too. You command this girl and at the end of the first level see the other girl that was on the cover beyond a barrier that you couldn't reach ( that was the farther I could get). Any ideas? Google doesn't seem to help.

hipgnosis

People collect for the sake of nostalgia. These are the versions we saw at stores at the time and grew up with. I don't hold any nostalgia for the NTSC packages or covers. I actually greatly prefer the PAL cases and usually the manuals are richer, I don't find the basic jewel cases for the NTSC cases appealing, PAL cases have a character of their own. Some versions are also better in PAL, although they are in the great minority. We also have some PAL exclusive packages such as the MGS Premium Pack or Castlevania SOTN Collector's Edition as well as some exclusives.

Basically the same question could be raised for early Nintendo titles as well, why do people collect PAL versions for those as well?

kaiju

Maybe you guys can help me, I'm trying to find my first ever ps1 game but it seems impossible for years. I had the game for only 2 days and at the time I didn't know english. It was early 98 so the game must have been around that time or earlier and it had on cover 2 girls with black, one of them had black glasses too. You command this girl and at the end of the first level see the other girl that was on the cover beyond a barrier that you couldn't reach ( that was the farther I could get). Any ideas? Google doesn't seem to help.

pax-corpus-e29138.jpg

I don't normally take collection pics, but I felt inspired while scrolling through this thread. Unless I'm forgetting some random title I've placed elsewhere, this is the entirety of my physical PS1 collection. There's plenty I've yet to play through still, but I'm quite proud of it, and I thought I'd share.

PJ5dwMb.jpg

From left to right: Atari Anniversary Collection, Bust-A-Move 4, Castlevania: SotN, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, Chrono Cross, Clock Tower, Clock Tower II, Crash, Crash 2, CTR, Fear Effect, FF7, FF8, FF9, FFT, MDK, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, One Piece Mansion, Pac-Man World, Parasite Eve, Point Blank, Q-Bert, Rayman, Silent Hill, Spyro, Spyro 2, Star Ocean: Second Story, Street Fighter EX 2 Plus, Swagman, Tekken 3, Tomba!, Xenogears, and You Don't Know Jack

Zing

Banned
I agree. It's better than Final Fantasy VII by far. Given the polarizing opinions, I was expecting a mediocre game, but it really is one of the best RPGs I have ever played.

I think I got bored around the third disc and started playing something else instead. Thought the voice acting and FMVs were really cool though.

IrishNinja

damn, congrats Tidus! was that JP only? never even saw that one...so jelly!

ive got Perfect Works but yeah, that's a first for me

Games I bought in the latest months :

The Fireman 2 / Runabout 2 / Choro Q Wonderful
Shutokou Battle R / Epica Stella

Gran Turismo 2 / Front Mission the 2nd
Crash Bandicoot / Ridge Racer Revolution

Simple Series : The Basket / Simple Series : The Bike Race
Dynamite Soccer 98 / Hyper Rally
Break Volley / Option Tuning Car Battle 2
Simple Series : The Tennis / Togue Max: Drift Master

Aquanaut's Holiday / Simple Series : The RC Race (brand new)
BursTrick

71 dollars.

it's in my top 10 games ever so I had to get it, and it's in pretty damn good condition.

It is the only game that I have that I own a second copy of that I keep sealed. Hope to one day get both the millennium editions of it as well. Grats on the pickup.

damn, congrats Tidus! was that JP only? never even saw that one...so jelly!

ive got Perfect Works but yeah, that's a first for me

Wonder how much those are going for these days. Heard there was a reprint of them semi recently.

Leynos

Just discovered this:

Obviously not a working console but still, must own.

Mustn't forget the much more awesome Megadrive Megatron with removable cartridge! :O
maxresdefault.jpg

I am desperate to buy both of these.

I've never seen fatter booklet, then Syndicate Wars has. Amazing. 100 pages? Maybe more.

Damn fine games. Don't bother with Colony Wars 3 - it is a big step down from the first two. I never played the original Syndicate, but I played Syndicate Wars (and Diablo, and Mechwarrior) on the PSX. I'm sure that the PC brothers played better, and looked better, but that was all I had back then. Does Syndicate Wars come in a multi-disk case to accommodate the large instruction manual? I don't remember the US release having one so large, but I could easily be wrong about that.

Top Bottom