• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

marcincz

(...) Does Syndicate Wars come in a multi-disk case to accommodate the large instruction manual? I don't remember the US release having one so large, but I could easily be wrong about that.

I looked only for a few sec on this booklet and case, but I am almost sure it includes multi-language (UK, ESP, GER and FR). Must check it once again, today evening.

Mzo

His right "wing" and shoulder are all fucked up in that still shot.

Megatron is on my desk but I haven't opened Prime yet. They can recreate the console wars... oh wait. Why wasn't he a sufami!?

His right "wing" and shoulder are all fucked up in that still shot.

Megatron is on my desk but I haven't opened Prime yet. They can recreate the console wars... oh wait. Why wasn't he a sufami!?

heh, SFC vs MD in wasn't much of a war

My guess would be reluctance on Nintendo's part to license out the likeness for something like this. I've seen their miniature gatcha consoles before, but not a crossover like transformers.

Okay, I don't want to sound too lame but I recently started writing some pieces about obscure games and collecting for a blog run by a few friends. I've only done two so far (Fox Hunt and Chulip), but I'd definitely appreciate it if you all might check it out. :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sup dudes,

I was wondering if there's any differences you guys are aware of between the black label and GH versions of Chrono Cross. I seem to recall reading about something being different... I know the GH version supposedly has English subtitles for the ending song, but was there anything beyond that?

Sup dudes,

I was wondering if there's any differences you guys are aware of between the black label and GH versions of Chrono Cross. I seem to recall reading about something being different... I know the GH version supposedly has English subtitles for the ending song, but was there anything beyond that?

I'm not sure about actual gameplay changes, but the more recent pressings have silver bottomed discs instead of the traditional black bottoms.

kaiju

Stopped by a local shop earlier this week and this is what their PS1 aisle looks like (sorry pic is a bit blurry, the aisle was too narrow to get a full shot):

IMAG0511_zpsqn86aoc2.jpg

They had both Pandemonium games, I forgot these existed so had to pick them up.

ebay%20043_zpsf1xdwhie.jpg

Also had a great deal on a complete copy of Galerians for $14.99. Glad I finally own this.

ebay%20045_zpsgsmcfbrf.jpg

But the best deal of all, and I had to do a double take when I saw the sticker price, but a complete copy of Jade Cocoon for $12.98! I left the price on the manual as I am still in disbelief.

ebay%20048_zpsdaxycjn9.jpg

kaiju

I didn't even know pandemonium got a sequel

Yea I played the second one back when it first came out. I believe it is the better of the two games, although I have yet to play the first one.

Is there any list of import only PS1 games that you don't really need to know Japanese for?

EDIT: Had to remove link as the site has emulation stuff which might be against the TOS.

I'll let you know if I find another one.

Yea I played the second one back when it first came out. I believe it is the better of the two games, although I have yet to play the first one.

EDIT: Had to remove link as the site has emulation stuff which might be against the TOS.

I'll let you know if I find another one.

I thought emulation was alright? Just not piracy or roms or anything

Just stumbled upon a game called Road Blaster which has an amazing visual style. Honestly not sure if I'd enjoy the game, but the visuals are actually amazing. Anyone played it?

**Apparently it predates the PSX, but this is where I was introduced to it.

kaiju

I thought emulation was alright? Just not piracy or roms or anything

It's got downloadable versions of ePSXe, no roms though. Should be ok, right? Sorry for the confusion.

Here's the link: http://ks23364.kimsufi.com/psxdata/databasepsx/ntsc-j_list.html

There is yellow text in the Languages area which tells you what is in English or not. Some of the game details also include how playable a game is in Japanese. It's one of the more comprehensive PS1 databases out there.

kaiju

Just stumbled upon a game called Road Blaster which has an amazing visual style. Honestly not sure if I'd enjoy the game, but the visuals are actually amazing. Anyone played it?

**Apparently it predates the PSX, but this is where I was introduced to it.

Road Blaster was fun but I prefer the action found in Thunder Storm LX-3, which came bundled together in Japan. Both decent and you're right about that art style, wish there were more games like them.

marcincz

(...) Does Syndicate Wars come in a multi-disk case to accommodate the large instruction manual? I don't remember the US release having one so large, but I could easily be wrong about that.

I ckecked it and as I said before both booklet and box are multi-language. Booklet has 70 pages. :)

Valkyria

Banned
Stopped by a local shop earlier this week and this is what their PS1 aisle looks like (sorry pic is a bit blurry, the aisle was too narrow to get a full shot):

IMAG0511_zpsqn86aoc2.jpg

They had both Pandemonium games, I forgot these existed so had to pick them up.

ebay%20043_zpsf1xdwhie.jpg

Also had a great deal on a complete copy of Galerians for $14.99. Glad I finally own this.

ebay%20045_zpsgsmcfbrf.jpg

But the best deal of all, and I had to do a double take when I saw the sticker price, but a complete copy of Jade Cocoon for $12.98! I left the price on the manual as I am still in disbelief.

ebay%20048_zpsdaxycjn9.jpg

Dying of jealousy, all those psx games, and NTSC, not the PAL crap I have to deal with when I was younger.

kaiju

So pleased with this. Wanted it for ages;

This is a thing of beauty. Amazing. Hard to find too.

Okay, I don't want to sound too lame but I recently started writing some pieces about obscure games and collecting for a blog run by a few friends. I've only done two so far (Fox Hunt and Chulip), but I'd definitely appreciate it if you all might check it out. :)

Nice write up on Fox Hunt, totally forgot about that game. Looks like it's getting rarer by the day too, might need to pick this up before prices get too insane.

It will never happen, but I wish EA would release or sell the rights to Thrill Kill. The game is complete, it deserves to exist out in the wild. Collector's would be all over it, even as a Kickstarter campaign, it would definitely get funded. Time has tamed the once objectionable content of this game. It's time.

tumblr_kx7tvp1Yry1qaugrco1_500.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I had a bootleg copy of Thrill Kill back when I was in 7th grade, and I think that's really the time in one's life when you should play that game. Even then, I realized it was pretty crappy, but the violence made it cool.

Would be kind of crazy if EA actually foisted that upon the world after all these years.

You really need to play Galerians if you haven't, it's a very different little game. Obviously it takes some inspiration from Akira but it basically plays like Resident Evil with psychic powers. It also has some really nice looking pre rendered backgrounds for a PS1 game. I found it pretty difficult when I played it but that was 15 years ago, the game gets super freaking weird to.

This thread seems more active than the ps2 one atm so I'll ask here:
where do you folks suggest getting either a jp21 or Euro scart cable for psx/ps2? On eBay most of them seem to be froM Hong Kong which always worries me.

I'd actually prefer a jp21 cable (which I haven't even been able to find) if someone knows a good dealer that isn't horribly expensive.

if you plan on plugging in multiple RGB sources to your TV, I'd go with SCART since it's way easier to get SCART switches than JP21 switches.

kaiju

You really need to play Galerians if you haven't, it's a very different little game. Obviously it takes some inspiration from Akira but it basically plays like Resident Evil with psychic powers. It also has some really nice looking pre rendered backgrounds for a PS1 game. I found it pretty difficult when I played it but that was 15 years ago, the game gets super freaking weird to.

Glad to hear it's worth a playthrough. Flipped through the manual and looks like I'm in for a ride.

This thread seems more active than the ps2 one atm so I'll ask here:
where do you folks suggest getting either a jp21 or Euro scart cable for psx/ps2? On eBay most of them seem to be froM Hong Kong which always worries me.

I'd actually prefer a jp21 cable (which I haven't even been able to find) if someone knows a good dealer that isn't horribly expensive.

The jp21cable is the SCPH-1050, right? I've seen a few float through maxconsole but they are few and far between. I've heard the third party HK ones are actually decent though.

A few of us over as PSC are trying to figure out an updated higher end rarity list for NTSC PS1 games. The ones that you can find on forums and DigitPress are really out of date and have a lot of games that were a little harder to find in 2006-10 but pretty available now. This is the one that we're revising ATM -- what would you guys include?

Braindead 13
Easter Bunny's Big Day
Fox Hunt
Goal Storm '97
Herc's Adventures
In the Hunt (longbox/jewel)
ISS Pro Evolution 2000
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Poy Poy
Psychic Detective
Punky Skunk
Silverload
Starblade Alpha
Team Buddies

kaiju

A few of us over as PSC are trying to figure out an updated higher end rarity list for NTSC PS1 games. The ones that you can find on forums and DigitPress are really out of date and have a lot of games that were a little harder to find in 2006-10 but pretty available now. This is the one that we're revising ATM -- what would you guys include?

Braindead 13
Easter Bunny's Big Day
Fox Hunt
Goal Storm '97
Herc's Adventures
In the Hunt (longbox/jewel)
ISS Pro Evolution 2000
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Poy Poy
Psychic Detective
Punky Skunk
Silverload
Starblade Alpha
Team Buddies

I have this list I started a few years ago of PS1 games that are becoming rarities online. I try to keep it updated to see if I need to grab a game before it's gone.

The criteria I've been going by is only using games that can be found complete but less than 3-4 copies existing on any one site online. So for example some collector's think games like Tomba, Diablo or Star Ocean: Second Story are rare, when actually there are a dozen or so complete versions of them on eBay at any one time.

Something less popular such as Starblade Alpha has 1-3 complete copies at any time, if that. There might be a slew of NTSC-J or PAL versions, but the NTSC version is pretty rare. Other games you might find a lot of them disc only, but very few of them complete. These are the kind of games I've been adding to this list.

I removed the games you already have on there. I'm sure you'll find some of these to be rare, while others are becoming harder to find based on my research.

3D Baseball
A-Train
Adventures of Lomax
Alien Trilogy (Longbox version)
Alone in the Dark 2
Aquanaut's Holiday
Azure Dreams
Beast Wars - Transmetals
Builder's Block
C: The Contra Adventure
Carnage Heart
City of Lost Children
Clock Tower
Clock Tower 2
Darkstalkers - The Night Warriors (both versions)
Destrega
Discworld
Divide - Enemies Within
Doom (Longbox Version)
Dragon Ball GT Final Bout
Dragon Seeds
Fighter Maker
Geom Cube (Longbox version)
In Cold Blood
Johnny Bazookatone (Jewel-case version)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Juggernaut
Jumping Flash!
Jumping Flash 2
Kartia
King's Field 2
Klonoa - Door to Phantomile
Koudelka
Magic Carpet (Jewel-case version)
Monster Rancher
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Muppet Monster Adventure
Myst
Nightmare Creatures II
Overblood
PO'ed (Jewel-case version)
Rampage Through Time
Rascal Racers
Return Fire
Rival Schools
Robo Pit
Saga Frontier
Sentient
Silent Bomber
Skullmonkeys
Sol Divide
Spider
Star Gladiator
Star Fighter
Swagman
Syndicate Wars
T.R.A.G.
The Hive
Theme Hospital
Torneko
Total Eclipse Turbo (Jewel-Case Version)
Trap Gunner
Vandal Hearts 2
Vs.
Xena Warrior Princess
Zoop

AWESOME videodyssey!

This is exactly what I'm talking about! I've finally ended a long search for a copy of Starblade Alpha, so I understand exactly where you're coming from when it comes to actual rarity. If you don't mind, I'll definitely be keeping me a copy of this one -- this is a fantastic compilation of the legitimately hard to find games on the system.

I've worked at two retro stores part-time in the past two years (1 rural/1 urban) and most of the games on this list are either ones that I've only seen once in the wild. Some of them are games that I had never seen in person before buying them online.

I'm interested in doing something similar with the PS2. For being the system with the highest overall sales, there are a few games that are starting to get pretty scarce online.

kaiju

AWESOME videodyssey!

This is exactly what I'm talking about! I've finally ended a long search for a copy of Starblade Alpha, so I understand exactly where you're coming from when it comes to actual rarity. If you don't mind, I'll definitely be keeping me a copy of this one -- this is a fantastic compilation of the legitimately hard to find games on the system.

I've worked at two retro stores part-time in the past two years (1 rural/1 urban) and most of the games on this list are either ones that I've only seen once in the wild. Some of them are games that I had never seen in person before buying them online.

I'm interested in doing something similar with the PS2. For being the system with the highest overall sales, there are a few games that are starting to get pretty scarce online.

No problem! Glad to help. By no means is the list complete, there are probably a lot more longbox games teetering on rare status, etc. But I would say if anyone finds these games in the wild, grab them while you can, even if for the investment.

This all started when I sold my copy of The Adventures of Lomax for $15 bucks a few years ago. Little did I know that game has an extremely low print run and hit SUPER RARE status, and will be worth a lot of money.

made_a_huge_mistake-245x119.gif

Never again!

Good luck on the PS2 rarities, I can think of just a few like Robot Alchemic Drive, Rule of Rose, etc. I used to collect games from all systems but got overwhelmed (and burned a hole in my wallet). Collecting primarily PS1 games hits that sweet spot.

I have a chance to pick up a cheap copy of G Darius. How's the port for this game?

I used to own it a long time ago and played the shit ton out of it. Funny story, I actually got it at Wal-Mart in '98 or '99 from a huge bin where they had a bunch of discounted PS1 games. I was looking at other games and my mom picked it up and said "hey why don't you get this, it looks like Gradius 3". It's one of my favorite shmups of all time now.

Visually it's a little rough but plays well, the frame rate can stutter quite a bit during two player co-op. I haven't played the arcade version nor the version packed into Taito Legends 2 for PS2 so I can't really comment on that.

I & II (Origins), IV(Chronicles), V & VI (Anthology), VIII & IX should be pretty cheap/easy to get. FFVII is probably going to run you 20-30 bucks no matter what. FFX through XII are cheap,

FF III, the only options you really have are getting a repro cart, a famicom cart translated, or buying the DS/PC/mobile remake. It gets a little trickier if you want to have EVERY version of the mainline series released though lol, but thats not really necessary.

Piggybacking off this question, anyone else know some SRPGs on PS1 that might have slipped through the cracks?

I've got:
Kartia
Final Fantasy Tactics

Looking at:
Saiyuki
Not really looking to keep it on the PlayStation side of things.

I want FF I for the NES in it's orignal case.
FF II (IV) SNES with original case.
FF III (VI) SNES with original case.
I already have FF VII, VIII and IX with their black label cases.
FF X, XI and XII for the PS2.
FF XIII for the PS3 I already have
and FF XIV for the PS4.

I imagine this will be more expensive.

I used to own it a long time ago and played the shit ton out of it. Funny story, I actually got it at Wal-Mart in '98 or '99 from a huge bin where they had a bunch of discounted PS1 games. I was looking at other games and my mom picked it up and said "hey why don't you get this, it looks like Gradius 3". It's one of my favorite shmups of all time now.

Visually it's a little rough but plays well, the frame rate can stutter quite a bit during two player co-op. I haven't played the arcade version nor the version packed into Taito Legends 2 for PS2 so I can't really comment on that.

Thanks. I actually have the Taito Legends 2 collection. I just don't have a PS2 hooked up. I remember liking what I played of it when I did have a working PS2. I did pick up the PS1 copy yesterday. It was $4 on Craigslist - why not?

IrishNinja

finally got a copy of Tobal no. 2 in for like $10 - looks great, so nice seeing a large color manual too! man, i wish the quest mode translation was on this disc though, haha

It will never happen, but I wish EA would release or sell the rights to Thrill Kill. The game is complete, it deserves to exist out in the wild. Collector's would be all over it, even as a Kickstarter campaign, it would definitely get funded. Time has tamed the once objectionable content of this game. It's time.

tumblr_kx7tvp1Yry1qaugrco1_500.jpg

I remember the controversy of this game. A lot of PlayStation mags wrote about it before release, hyping it as the most violent thing ever. Was there ever a fairly finished version leaked to the net to try?

IrishNinja

nah, it's the only fighter with ODB in it, so that alone ages it like fine wine™

visually the tobal games hold up well today animation is great and dat high resolution

agreed! crazy how early 1 was too, and i was totally one of the people who bought it for the FF VII demo & was then happily surprised by how much i liked it

Zing

Banned
It's about time Klonoa reached the value of deserves. It's the second best platformer, ever, second only to Yoshi's Island.

Top Bottom