• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Gunbike is damn awesome guys. You race on a bike that can transform into a mech to destroy stuff. You also have boss battles for when you are a mech. You should definitely check it out!

gunbike-1.png
gunbike-10.png
gunbike-11.png
gunbike-15.png

Made by inti creates

i just bought a copy based on the name, inti creates, your description, and screens alone lol

Khaz

Another Inti Creates? Love & Destroy is a twin-stick Mech fighting game with a fully destructible environment, a massive amount of animated cutscenes and a hint of dating-sim. The first battle is in a Japanese suburban city against giant worms and mysterious alien spheres floating in the air: you shoot at everything, and everything explodes, the city just ends up in ruins after your victory. The "dating" part seems to be mainly related to which girl you decide to take as copilot for each mission, which in turn unlocks specific cutscenes and various endings. It's not a visual novel.

I can't find a decent review on the English-speaking Internet. The controls are really neat and smooth (it's your typical twin-stick FPS, but with a mech), the game is beautiful, the cutscenes are really well done and the action is quite obvious even if you don't understand Japanese (I don't).

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1aQF2GMYQw
Attract cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHOZn8eGuo
First cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mERI3oPs_kI
First mission gameplay: https://youtu.be/db8AeUaOM6w?t=4m46s

Love & Destroy[...]

That gameplay looks really fun. I have a couple of questions:
This might sound dumb, but does it actually use both sticks? I know you said it's a twin-stick game, but I remember a lot of games only using the left stick and doing absolutely nothing with the right stick.
Also, any idea of general playtime length?

EDIT: Nvm. Just found the answers to my questions in an FAQ.

Teknoman

Japan is a never ending source of greatness.

The only thing I had to go off was that fast import youtube video, and what I already know have translation patches (Policenauts...which I still need, Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, and Tales of Phantasia).

Khaz

That gameplay looks really fun. I have a couple of questions:
This might sound dumb, but does it actually use both sticks? I know you said it's a twin-stick game, but I remember a lot of games only using the left stick and doing absolutely nothing with the right stick.
Also, any idea of general playtime length?

EDIT: Nvm. Just found the answers to my questions in an FAQ.

It is a twin stick shooter, the left stick is to move and strafe, and the right stick controls your viewpoint. Except you're in a third person mech instead of a first person grunt.

Ordered it this morning for around $17. Wish I could find Gunbike for a decent price too.

Liking these recommendations. Always love discovering more old games to import.

Khaz

3320_front.jpg

I just received Elemental Gearbolt.

It gives me strong vibes of Panzer dragoon / Rez / Gamera2000, with a different universe of course, having the camera moving forward constantly while enemies keep jumping at you. I used the normal controller at first and I tried very hard to use an imaginary lock-on targeting system (control pad gameplay would have been greatly improved with it.) You can use the analogue stick if your controller has it but the controls are still one-speed digital, don't expect finer controls.

The game really shines however with a light gun controller, as it makes the whole gameplay smoother. You can choose between three types of shot with different properties (charging speed, spread, damages...) and can change at will at the press of a button. There is no need for reloading either, so no shooting offscreen or hiding behind a crate. And no civilians, so fire away Even though it's a lightgun game, it really feels different than Time crisis or GunBullet thanks to these mechanics. Don't ask me which one is better, all three are great and their own uniqueness makes them essential for a lightgun lover or an arcade gamer in general.

The presentation itself is really good with 3D backgrounds and sprite targets, and a hefty amount of animated cutscenes. [edit] Oh, and there is an XP system. I'm not quit sure how it works yet.

Here is a video review from the Happy video game nerd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfj8NViltt4

ElementalGearbolt-AssassinsCase.jpg

I would love to try the developers previous attempt at a lightgun game, Project horned owl, but it requires me to buy yet another lightgun controller, Konami's Justifier, and I have too many already!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Goddamn @ Elemental Gearbolt. Nice find. May I ask how much you paid for it?

Those PS1 graphics make me all nostalgic. Is it weird that I think they look good? :D

I remember seeing this game available for rental in a video store years and years ago. I was with my boyfriend and his friend, and we decided to rent something else and maybe try this one next week.

...Next week, it was gone from the shelf for some reason. And we never saw it again and never played it. :(

Khaz

Goddamn @ Elemental Gearbolt. Nice find. May I ask how much you paid for it?

$51, I didn't really try to get a low price for it. I was looking for what lightgun games the PS1 had, having recently obtained GunBullet, and stumbled upon the video review I linked. I just thought I had to have it and went to eBay to get the lowest BIN I could find.

...Next week, it was gone from the shelf for some reason. And we never saw it again and never played it. :(

You're definitely missing out. I believe it's a must have If you have a CRT and a light gun.

Won an eBay auction for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure CIB (JP release) for $8 last night. Feel pretty good about that. Buy Now prices are a lot higher, but almost no one is bidding on the auctions for them.

Lynd7

I am leaning towards tracking down a PS1 sometime. It would have to be an NTSC one, maybe with a mod chip, just to ensure any disks I get can be made to have playable backups for a bit of future proofing in case disk rot becomes a problem down the line :S

I'd like to find a good condition system, should I just check eBay? Probably won't for awhile, Im still collecting all the N64 stuff I want.

Khaz

Someone told me Ghost in the Shell was cool. He was right.
Though the guy who sold it to me cleverly hid the fact that the manual had all its pages stuck together due to water damage. Oh well.

PS1_USAa.jpg

46.png
91.png
35.png

(emulator screenshots with a strange aspect ratio?)

woodypop

I would love to try the developers previous attempt at a lightgun game, Project horned owl, but it requires me to buy yet another lightgun controller, Konami's Justifier, and I have too many already!
I wouldn't put too much effort into Project Horned Owl. The pace is very slow, and I find it pretty dull.
Though the guy who sold it to me cleverly hid the fact that the manual had all its pages stuck together due to water damage. Oh well.
Reminds me of the copy of Strider 2 I got off Ebay years ago. It was advertised as complete, but only had the front cover of the manual. =/

Fantastic game. Been routing a speed run for it on and off.

It's the sort of title where anyone can pick it up, but really getting the hang of it takes some time, patience, and coordination.

Though the guy who sold it to me cleverly hid the fact that the manual had all its pages stuck together due to water damage. Oh well

Those screenshots look like 16:9 was enabled in the options menu in-game and then the emulator displayed the game in 4:3.

The sprites look normal because they always remain in 4:3, meaning they are stretched when the game is set for and displayed on a 16:9 display.

i think zastbat was running it a while ago. maybe has the default wr lol

yeah, there are a handful of people who run it that I've found. I'm almost certain there aren't any real glitch hunters who've taken on the game though, so the route is pretty much just optimization within the intended routes afaik.

Mzo

Jimmy Hapa's import reviews got me fired up on some games I never pulled the trigger on.

Just got Nekketsu Oyako, can't wait to try it out! Beat-'em-ups are my favorite and I don't know why I slept on this one so long.

Jimmy Hapa's import reviews got me fired up on some games I never pulled the trigger on.

Just got Nekketsu Oyako, can't wait to try it out! Beat-'em-ups are my favorite and I don't know why I slept on this one so long.

Definitely check out Panzer Bandit. It's basically Guardian Heroes for the PS1. The disc is pricey, but it can be had for 600¥ on JP PSN. Hell, you could probably get a discounted PSTV and the JP PSN download for less than the price of a physical disc.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

It's ok. Pretty standard fare as far as brawlers go imo.

RedSwirl

So what's the best way to play PS1 games on modern PlayStation hardware?

My backlog of PS1 games is a mix of discs and digital games from PSN.

I have three systems that can play these games: A PS3 (for all of them), a PS2 (discs only), and a PSP (digital only).

I also have two displays available: A 46" LCD, and a 14" CRT. Oh and the PSP screen. It goes without saying that the PS2 will go to the CRT, but I'm also thinking of connecting the PS3 to the CRT for some of the games.

The thing is, I actually like the way the PS3 upscales certain PS1 games to 1080p. I think it makes the full 3D games look clearer and more vibrant. Even if it does add lag, that doesn't matter all that much for non-twitch games like action RPGs. I also want to maintain the original console experience these games had rather than miniaturize all of them to a handheld. I also don't know which games would be most affected by the loss of one stick and two shoulder buttons on the PSP.

Timu

So what's the best way to play PS1 games on modern PlayStation hardware?

My backlog of PS1 games is a mix of discs and digital games from PSN.

I have three systems that can play these games: A PS3 (for all of them), a PS2 (discs only), and a PSP (digital only).

I also have two displays available: A 46" LCD, and a 14" CRT. Oh and the PSP screen. It goes without saying that the PS2 will go to the CRT, but I'm also thinking of connecting the PS3 to the CRT for some of the games.

The thing is, I actually like the way the PS3 upscales certain PS1 games to 1080p. I think it makes the full 3D games look clearer and more vibrant. Even if it does add lag, that doesn't matter all that much for non-twitch games like action RPGs. I also want to maintain the original console experience these games had rather than miniaturize all of them to a handheld. I also don't know which games would be most affected by the loss of one stick and two shoulder buttons on the PSP.
PS2.

Day 2 of NERG (North-East Retro Gaming) convention. They had so many PS1 games on sale, including some rare ones, but they were very aware of their crowd so the prices were insane.

CH73Jv7WEAAyBKh.jpg:large

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I love me some Working Designs! I have their entire catalogue of games in my collection. My copy of Elemental Gearbolt is one of my prized gems... you know, since the man himself (Victor Ireland) signed it!

PSone games look great on a CRT but do you really want to hook a PS3 up to a CRT? I prefer PSone games on the PSP for portability and it looks pretty good(plus suspend mode). Emulation on a PS3 is pretty good but once I played PSone on a PSP thats my go to now.

EDIT: I have the TV out cable for my PSP 3000 and I used this to play PSone games before I got my PS3 and that look good as well.

Mzo

PS1 games on a PSP don't have analogue stick support, though, which could be a negative depending on the game.

Day 2 of NERG (North-East Retro Gaming) convention. They had so many PS1 games on sale, including some rare ones, but they were very aware of their crowd so the prices were insane.

That is pretty much the case with all conventions now. Sellers have pretty much realized that people will just buy stuff because of the excitement so have no reason to list things at even ebay prices.

That is pretty much the case with all conventions now. Sellers have pretty much realized that people will just buy stuff because of the excitement so have no reason to list things at even ebay prices.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense for them. Thankfully there was a few to choose from, some of which would put their prices down or sell cheaper if you bought a few games together. One guy was just looking to clear as much as he could as he just got married! So there were good deals to find, but you had to find them.
Sadly, I think too many people just bought things at sticker value.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I ended up finding a copy of Ehrgeiz at my local game shop yesterday. I only got to play it in the arcades once and then I never saw/played it again, so I was pretty excited to run across a copy. Well I popped it in my PS3 last night and was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is! The fighting side of the game is actually pretty solid, but the RPG side of the game is the part I love the most! I've spent most of the night and this morning playing it, haha.

So I ended up finding a copy of Ehrgeiz at my local game shop yesterday. I only got to play it in the arcades once and then I never saw/played it again, so I was pretty excited to run across a copy. Well I popped it in my PS3 last night and was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is! The fighting side of the game is actually pretty solid, but the RPG side of the game is the part I love the most! I've spent most of the night and this morning playing it, haha.

Haven't heard of this one. Looks pretty interesting.

Top Bottom