• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Man Valkyrie Profile costs a bit I was planning on getting it soon for a first go through. ): Since 2 was so cheap I was expecting something in that range.

CamHostage

Sort of a side-question on this thread that I was going to ask in the thread about the Console Classics company releasing PS1 games on PC...

I'm curious, why are we not seeing (and historically have not seen) much of a modification and "remastering" scene for PS1 games? Professionally or bootleg, these games have just come and gone, whereas NES, SNES, even PS2, PSP and GameCube games have been cracked into and pulled apart and rebuilt in spectacular and/or interesting ways.

We've seen text translation MODs of games on pretty much every archival platform, and while PS1 isn't left out, it is surprisingly slim in translation projects considering its popularity and title slate. We have seen graphical MODs where textures are replaced for higher definition (though if I'm tallying, I think most if not all of those projects were PC ports of console games.) We have had games MODed to offer totally new stages or new characters or new ways of playing. We did see in the very early days PS1 emulation application of texture filtering and other features, but that's been a long time and yet has as far as I've come across amounted to only a light slathering compared to how toyed with other platforms have gotten. And of course, we've seen professional HD remasterings of classic games, but I can't think of a PS1 game that has been retrofitted and re-released (maybe Parappa for the PSP game?) and the few games that have been revisited have been full remakes like Tomb Raider Anniversary and Twisted Metal Head-On.

wipeout3.0.gif

Wipeout Model Viewer (from PC assets)

I just thought we'd see more cool experiments or professional remasterings of PS1 games over the years. Games pulled apart, remastered, hacked, done dirty, etc.

And with HD remastering a thing for a long time or now that Steam re-releases are picking up, it feels like there should be more PSX-era reworkings out, even if they are only as simply done as Final Fantasy VII PC. (Where's the similar treatment of MGS or Soul Reaver or Tomb Raider, especially since all of those have PC builds to base a retro-remaster on?) This Console Classics company is simply flipping the ISOs back out in an emulator wrapper, and while it's great that at least somebody is re-licensing these old games, it seems like there'd be a small cottage industry in reworking these old games to be shown off in a new light.

Digging in, there's more than I was ever aware of on the MOD scene, such as SpyroEdit texture MOD and the cartoon shader or the SF Snow MOD or the Tekken 3 Custom Edition BG hacks or the 3D stereoscopic patch or the or the widescreen hacks or the z-buffer patch to cut down on texture perspective shimmer/mismatching. There's work out there to be appreciated. (Then again, in the end, the games often still have qualities in the original form that's worth playing as it was or with minimal modification... I'm not saying I want nothing but bad filters and fan edits, it just felt like those options should be out there and/or more well known.)

**I kind of answered my own question in the process of writing out a long thread, but I still figured I'd still inquire as well as share.

This console generation is a lot more work to bring up to modern standards, I think. SNES and NES are 2D and therefore scale well, PS2 and PSP are both modern enough and have the horsepower for a pretty modern experience, so it's not as difficult.

CamHostage

This console generation is a lot more work to bring up to modern standards, I think. SNES and NES are 2D and therefore scale well, PS2 and PSP are both modern enough and have the horsepower for a pretty modern experience, so it's not as difficult.

I myself don't want "modern standards", though (although it'd be a much tougher sell trying to get people to buy say Gran Turismo 1 or Jet Moto with just some texture swaps and filters than the PS2-to-PS3 remaster releases, even if they released digitally.) I want "classic standards" with as high of quality presentation as we can make them today. We just never figured out a way to do that (and package it) with this PSX generation of games, not like we did with SNES/classic arcade or PS2-era games. It's this weird middle ground that's too primitive to release as is but too complex to easily remake.

Like imagine if the Halo Anniversary approach had been taken with MGS, and you could swap between PSX and Twin Snakes graphics. Or if Wipeout was released with a track editor that a lot of racers have and also that Super Mario Maker is repopularizing. Or a Tomba dual pack that had a polygonal-modeled character option to replace the ACM-rendered sprite ala the Wii remake of Klonoa. Or hell, release Ape Escape with a garish cartoon filter that I could turn off and just enjoy the old game wrapped in a new 1080p-displaying widescreen engine versus the 480p game that it's stuck being in its original form.

Retro games are being revisited all the time. PS1 unfortunately isn't often being invited to that party, but maybe there are ways of making it more enticing?

This thread has already made a number of great claims that simplistic low-poly graphics like from PSX can be beautiful. The question still on the table is: how to take those qualities and make them sellable again?

Anyone been keeping an eye on PSIO? It's starting to look a lot more real. They're sending out a (closed) beta release, sounds like not much longer 'till its out.

9xYx2Ap.png

Might be a bit pricey, but would be nice to have a long term viable way to replace the disc drive.

Valkyria

Banned
Anyone been keeping an eye on PSIO? It's starting to look a lot more real. They're sending out a (closed) beta release, sounds like not much longer 'till its out.

9xYx2Ap.png

Might be a bit pricey, but would be nice to have a long term viable way to replace the disc drive.

Wow, didn't know about this thing. Could be a game changer. I have two psx with the port required to use this.

Wow, didn't know about this thing. Could be a game changer. I have two psx with the port required to use this.
I made sure to bring my wife's PSX back from Japan so that I'd have a compatible one. Unfortunately my poor little PSOne isn't compatible.

It's be cool to see an ODE for PS1/2 at some point in the future. That would likely give compatibility for all models.

oldmario

I made sure to bring my wife's PSX back from Japan so that I'd have a compatible one. Unfortunately my poor little PSOne isn't compatible.

It's be cool to see an ODE for PS1/2 at some point in the future. That would likely give compatibility for all models.

it is compatible with the PSOne also but i think it requires extra soldiering and a different unit, i'm sure there's also one for the PS1 models without the port

it is compatible with the PSOne also but i think it requires extra soldiering and a different unit, i'm sure there's also one for the PS1 models without the port

Huh, didn't realize that.

What about the PSone/SCPH-900x PlayStation's?
The PSone (Sony's re-designed mini PlayStation 1) and SCPH-900x series, will not be plug-and-play since they do not have a Parallel I/O port.
To get around this, we have a special version that will not include the PIO header connector on the PCB.
You will be required to solder 41 wires from PSIO's custom pin design to the PSone or 900x mainboard manually.

No thanks!

I started playing lunar 1 on my ps2 today and I swear there is screen tearing in the upper 10% of the screen when scrolling horizontally.

Does anyone else have the game to test this out? It's bizarre that this would happen in an old ps1 game.

9xYx2Ap.png

Looks awesome.

The problem I have is that a lot of disc image software and modern DVD drives don't read PlayStation 1 games well. I've tried ripping some of my games and a lot of them failed. Imgburn at least can't handle them well.

Zing

Banned
I started playing lunar 1 on my ps2 today and I swear there is screen tearing in the upper 10% of the screen when scrolling horizontally.

Does anyone else have the game to test this out? It's bizarre that this would happen in an old ps1 game.
Have you tried other games? Playing (most) PSone games on a PS2 will put your TV into 240p mode, which a surprisingly high number of digital display do not handle well.

I no longer have the game, but I did play it and recall nothing odd.

Yuterald

I've been trying to catch up on 2D/3D (preferably 3D) platform/adventure games on the PSone. I just bought Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time and Sheep Raider and I'm currently playing both for the first time and LOVING them. I own/have played most of the essentials, I believe. I'm sort of looking for potential hidden gems I may have missed over the years. I'm actually now particularly interested in licensed titles that are surprisingly decent (like these Looney Tunes games).

Here's what I own/have played:

Crash 1, 2 and 3 (all 100% completed)
Spyro 1, 2 and 3 (all 100% completed)
Klonoa (100% completed, my all-time favorite platformer)
Ape Escape (100% completed, aside from unlocking those stupid Monkeys in Boxing...)
Pac-Man World (100% completed)
Tomba 1 and 2 (100% completed)
Rayman (100% completed)
Medievil 1 and 2 (completed 100%)
Croc 1 and 2 (100% completed the original, not the sequel yet)
Glover (have yet to complete)
Phix the Adventure (100% completed)
Punky Skunk (100% completed)
Jersey Devil (have yet to complete)
Gex 1, 2 and 3 (played these back in the day, but need to replay them at 100%)
Floating Runner (have yet to complete)
Skullmonkeys (have yet to complete)
Jumping Flash 1 and 2 (100% completed the original, not the sequel yet)
Pinobee (have yet to complete, don't really like it though)
Monkey Magic (have yet to complete, don't really like it though)

Looking to buy:
Pandemonium 1 and 2
40 Winks
Kingsley's Adventure
The Adventures of Lomax
Rayman 2 (have played all versions of this game, but I like it so much I'll grab all versions)
Blasto (I guess...collection filler)
Rascal (I guess...collection filler)

Any suggestions?

Yuterald

My suggestion is don't waste money on "collection filler."

True, but they're so inexpensive and I like checking out shit-games/the bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to exploring a system's library, so I'm inclined to throw them on the list.

Was going to recommend Monkey Hero, but I'm presuming that Monkey Magic is the same game for the NTSC region. Definitely pick up Pandemonium and 40 Winks though. Lomax is pretty good, but damn hard.

Whatever you do, don't go near Iznogaud. Even as collection filler. Possibly THE worst PS1 game ever.

EDIT: Actually, it seems Monkey Hero is a different game...I'd recommend it! Here's a quick overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBnHYTy0Wk

Yuterald

Was going to recommend Monkey Hero, but I'm presuming that Monkey Magic is the same game for the NTSC region. Definitely pick up Pandemonium and 40 Winks though. Lomax is pretty good, but damn hard.

Whatever you do, don't go near Iznogaud. Even as collection filler. Possibly THE worst PS1 game ever.

EDIT: Actually, it seems Monkey Hero is a different game...I'd recommend it! Here's a quick overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBnHYTy0Wk

Owned Monkey Hero before, but need to get another copy. Yeah, it was a decent B/C-tier Zelda-like, right?

True, but they're so inexpensive and I like checking out shit-games/the bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to exploring a system's library, so I'm inclined to throw them on the list.

I agree. I think "collection filler" is stuff that ultimately stays on the shelf. I've bought a lot of "crap" games for super cheap and I've made a habit of sitting down and playing around with them for about 30 minutes or so. I usually have a lot of fun with them and they're definitely a worthwhile purchase for me. A lot of it has to do with what you're looking for. I'll buy Easter Bunny's Big Day but pass on Syphon Filter as a filler title because I'm more likely to enjoy the weird experience of EBBD.

Owned Monkey Hero before, but need to get another copy. Yeah, it was a decent B/C-tier Zelda-like, right?
Yep, fun little Zelda clone. I know you're looking for platformers, but it's an obscure gem in general.

More recommended 2D platformers: Disney's Hercules, Disney's Tarzan, Tai Fu

Yuterald

I agree. I think "collection filler" is stuff that ultimately stays on the shelf. I've bought a lot of "crap" games for super cheap and I've made a habit of sitting down and playing around with them for about 30 minutes or so. I usually have a lot of fun with them and they're definitely a worthwhile purchase for me. A lot of it has to do with what you're looking for. I'll buy Easter Bunny's Big Day but pass on Syphon Filter as a filler title because I'm more likely to enjoy the weird experience of EBBD.

Yeah, I'm with ya'. Rainy day gaming, ha! I I tend to find some value in games that are generally panned. They're always good for a laugh, if anything.

Mzo

I try out games that get panned or aren't popular all the time (mainly because I don't trust the vast majority of reviews or popular opinions), but I don't think of it as padding a collection. I don't consider myself a collector and the number of games I own for a system itself is irrelevant. My library of games is curated. If they're fun, good, or interesting in some way, then they can stay.

Yuterald

I try out games that get panned or aren't popular all the time (mainly because I don't trust the vast majority of reviews or popular opinions), but I don't think of it as padding a collection. I don't consider myself a collector and the number of games I own for a system itself is irrelevant. My library of games is curated. If they're fun, good, or interesting in some way, then they can stay.

Maybe I misspoken when I said "collection filler" because I definitely don't collect for the sake of collecting. I am also not one to keep games sealed. Everything I buy I intend to check out. There are some genres, however, that speak to me more than others, so I tend to try and play/buy anything and everything within that scene (2D/3D platform/adventure games, for example). A game like Blasto (which I've played before, but have never owned) is the type of game I'd pick-up/check-out after I buy/play what I would consider are my priorities. I've noticed I'm more appreciative of things as I get older, so maybe I'll find something to like about Blast again when I return to it
probably not though because I think it's pretty shit lol

is there a big difference in the rarity of ps1 games that are eother original or greatest hits versions? because i have a collection of new crash bandicoot games but they are the greatest hits version

Teknoman

I think I might've asked this before...but does the original Spyro trilogy still hold up? I know Crash does. Also what else did Sucker Punch do before Sly?

I think I might've asked this before...but does the original Spyro trilogy still hold up? I know Crash does. Also what else did Sucker Punch do before Sly?

I actually just played through the first Spyro last week ( Vita ) and really enjoyed it. I hadn't played it in YEARS and just felt the urge to do so recently.

There are some camera issues at times, but this can be sorted by just double tapping the triangle button.

I would personally recommend playing through it. I haven't played through the next two yet, as I jumped straight on to playing the original Crash Bandicoot. Man, that game is tougher than I remember.

Yuterald

Definitely. Some of the best platformers on the system. Sucker Punch did Rocket Robot on Wheels, a great 3D platformer for the N64 (arguably better than Sly 2 & 3, imo). Sly 1 is still the best though.

is there a big difference in the rarity of ps1 games that are eother original or greatest hits versions? because i have a collection of new crash bandicoot games but they are the greatest hits version

It depends.

For the most part, the GH versions are more common than their black label counterparts. Of course, that doesn't mean that the black label versions are particularly hard to find because a game had to sell 150-250k copies to reach GH status to begin with.

There are a few notable exceptions. For example, the GH version of Digimon World 3 is actually less common than the original run. On the other hand, Square has never stopped printing some PS1 games like Chrono Cross, FF Origins + Chronicles, and FFIX, meaning that the GH copies probably outnumber the originals by a lot.

It depends.

For the most part, the GH versions are more common than their black label counterparts. Of course, that doesn't mean that the black label versions are particularly hard to find because a game had to sell 150-250k copies to reach GH status to begin with.

There are a few notable exceptions. For example, the GH version of Digimon World 3 is actually less common than the original run. On the other hand, Square has never stopped printing some PS1 games like Chrono Cross, FF Origins + Chronicles, and FFIX, meaning that the GH copies probably outnumber the originals by a lot.

and IIRC some of the later GH releases don't even have black bottom discs; they're shiny like regular CDs.

Top Bottom