• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I was wondering the same thing about the sound.

It should be fine in emulator. Aquas (guy who raced it in AGDQ) ran it on emu up until a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I've found similar stories. Tried it out in NesterJ (on the PSP) and that seemed to work as well. Guess it's a non-issue.

This video rubs me the wrong way. It feels like a young guy barging into an old dudes house, touching all his stuff like he was already dead. He's showing us a lot of treasures, but they need to be properly documented, not like this. I don't know how to express this properly, but the guy just feels rude.

For context that might help ya understand it better: this is just clipped highlights from probably a full day of hanging out with the subject. The actual full interview would be in one of the several hundred page tomes the interviewer has put out, which are just interviews with all these Japanese industry guys telling stories and such. You are right about the interviewer being a little nuts, but in channeling that passion, we've gotten a couple of amazing game history resources. Nobody else would know the questions to ask or get their subjects to talk to so much, so it's pretty darn properly documented.

I can't recommend the books enough for anyone who might be into game history.

alf717

MLIG's latest vid in on PS1 video output
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk

I had no idea PSP could output 240p to TV on PS1 download games, lol

Good video. I have been going through this myself for a while and decided on the 1001 being the best for my setup. On the topic of Gimmick I wonder why they didn't choose to stream the original audio from the disc like Capcom did with Rockman. If I'm not mistake I think this helped with load times in FFIV for the US as well.

MLIG's latest vid in on PS1 video output
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk

I had no idea PSP could output 240p to TV on PS1 download games, lol

I love these so much

Will edit with reactions
Looks like they didn't mention the checkerboxing for composite video for sync.
Holy shit I also didn't know about that PSP trick. Guess I'll play some games via POPs when I'm feeling lazy.
What game is that at ~7 minutes with the blond kid?

I think I'll start linking this to people asking how to play PS1 games. Definitely seems to hit all the major questions and options.

Khaz

Looks like they didn't mention the checkerboxing for composite video for sync.

Wasn't this debunked a while ago? If you see a checkerboard pattern, it means you are looking at a Composite video signal and the RGB pins are unused. TVs need an additional +5V to switch automatically between Composite video and RGBS.

Wasn't this debunked a while ago? If you see a checkerboard pattern, it means you are looking at a Composite video signal and the RGB pins are unused. TVs need an additional +5V to switch automatically between Composite video and RGBS.
We've been over this, yes. We also disagree. And it doesn't change the fact that a composite video for sync cable will give you a checkerboard on the framemeister. I've yet to find someone who tried this and didn't have a checkerboard.

alf717

I'm curious, does the SCPH-1000 Japanese PS models produce a better picture via the dedicated s-video jack then when using the multi av out on the same unit? I'd like to get my hands on one but don't think I'll be able to budget one in yet.

Peltz

I'm curious, does the SCPH-1000 Japanese PS models produce a better picture via the dedicated s-video jack then when using the multi av out on the same unit? I'd like to get my hands on one but don't think I'll be able to budget one in yet.
I don't see why it would.

PS1 has very clean output through the default jack.

Edit: I've only used SVideo on my PSOne and PS2 Slim so take that with s grain of salt.

I'm with Peltz on this, I wouldn't expect any meaningful change. That said, I don't understand the PSX's board terribly well. If you google around I imagine you'll probably find some people advocating for both ports, which generally means they're comparable. If you don't, however, find that there's people on both sides and instead find that a lot of people are advocating for one over the other, let us know. I'm always interested in getting better picture for PSX games.

Tapejara

So a few months ago my PSOne's disc drive broke, which wasn't a problem because I could just use my PS3 (I know, I know; input lag, but it was better than nothing) for playing disc games. Do you guys think it's worth getting repaired or should I just buy a new one? i really want to replay MediEvil 2, but the PS3 has problems emulating it. Plus, it'd be nice to have a working PSOne again as I start to get into collecting games. It's an SCPH-101.

Peltz

So a few months ago my PSOne's disc drive broke, which wasn't a problem because I could just use my PS3 (I know, I know; input lag, but it was better than nothing) for playing disc games. Do you guys think it's worth getting repaired or should I just buy a new one? i really want to replay MediEvil 2, but the PS3 has problems emulating it. Plus, it'd be nice to have a working PSOne again as I start to get into collecting games. It's an SCPH-101.

Trusted repair-people are far more rare than the hardware itself at this point that I'd just opt to replace it rather than fix it. But your posting in a thread with a lot of "do it yourself" people (and God bless them for that) so I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one.

I'd grab a ps2, honestly. Bit more reliable. PSOnes can be found for 20$ though so your call.

Tapejara

Trusted repair-people are far more rare than the hardware itself at this point that I'd just opt to replace it rather than fix it. But your posting in a thread with a lot of "do it yourself" people (and God bless them for that) so I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one.

Makes sense. I'm not much of a DIY guy, so I might just opt for a new console. Or...

I'd grab a ps2, honestly. Bit more reliable. PSOnes can be found for 20$ though so your call.

...I might just do this. I've been meaning to pick up a PS2 for a while, so might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the input guys!

Makes sense. I'm not much of a DIY guy, so I might just opt for a new console. Or...

...I might just do this. I've been meaning to pick up a PS2 for a while, so might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the input guys!

If you do get a ps2, looking in to HD Loader and FMCB might be worth your while. Not really for PSX titles but definitely for keeping your laser in good condition (less usage by playing ps2 titles off a hard drive).

alf717

It is a crap shoot when buying laser unit replacements online and unless the seller can verify they took the laser from an actual working PSone unit you are probably getting a cheap knock off. Some have had success while others like myself have not had any luck with the so called KSM-440BAM replacements. Out of curiosity are you planning on tossing the PSone unit out or will you be hanging on to it?

I don't see why it would.

PS1 has very clean output through the default jack.

Edit: I've only used SVideo on my PSOne and PS2 Slim so take that with s grain of salt.

I'm with Peltz on this, I wouldn't expect any meaningful change. That said, I don't understand the PSX's board terribly well. If you google around I imagine you'll probably find some people advocating for both ports, which generally means they're comparable. If you don't, however, find that there's people on both sides and instead find that a lot of people are advocating for one over the other, let us know. I'm always interested in getting better picture for PSX games.

I'll dig around for more data. I tested a PSone and a 1001 unit with s-video and can tell the PSone does produce a brighter image.

Tapejara

It is a crap shoot when buying laser unit replacements online and unless the seller can verify they took the laser from an actual working PSone unit you are probably getting a cheap knock off. Some have had success while others like myself have not had any luck with the so called KSM-440BAM replacements. Out of curiosity are you planning on tossing the PSone unit out or will you be hanging on to it?

Whatever I decide, I'm going to be hanging on to it. It was my first console and I have a lot of memories tied to it.

i don't know you fellow ps1 GAFer's found this but i discovered a long time ago there's a prob with ps1 games playing on PS3 off a hard disc vs playing ps1 gms purchased digitally.

A and B'd them a while ago and sent it to Kotaku but they never responded...

basically playing them off the disc (no smoothing or any enhancements) looks worse than running a digital copy of an identical game from psn on a same PS3 system, fat or slim: some games it's more noticeable than others.

either there's an issue with the hardware of the ps3 playing ps1 discs or there's an added undefeatable filter on digital ps1 games.

don't mean to unnecessarily bump this up:

but anyone double dip and have an identical disc + digital copy of a ps1 game running off a ps3? Curious to see your thoughts.

Khaz

I always thought the PSP Go was a neat little machine. I really liked the form factor and most of the criticism at the time were about how you couldn't use your UMDs and had to rebuy your games on the online store. I was quite disappointed when they didn't follow up on the Xperia Play, which was a promising concept, but sadly was lacking on both gaming and phone sides, and was panned by the critic for it. Unfortunately Sony didn't understand the criticism, only saw the poor sales and threw the concept away altogether, which is a shame imo.

Timu

I have the 1st PSP...I now need a PSP 2000 or better to play them PS1 games in the correct res without that annoying input lag that makes it a pain to play PS1 games on PS3!

I should get that Double Dragon fighting game!

I have my 3rd PSP coming this week (lol). Mostly going to load it up with shooters and play it on the bus. Might try out the PS1 options but with my current set up it doesn't really offer me any advantage over what I have.

Teknoman

i don't know you fellow ps1 GAFer's found this but i discovered a long time ago there's a prob with ps1 games playing on PS3 off a hard disc vs playing ps1 gms purchased digitally.

A and B'd them a while ago and sent it to Kotaku but they never responded...

basically playing them off the disc (no smoothing or any enhancements) looks worse than running a digital copy of an identical game from psn on a same PS3 system, fat or slim: some games it's more noticeable than others.

either there's an issue with the hardware of the ps3 playing ps1 discs or there's an added undefeatable filter on digital ps1 games.

They actually talked about this in the recent My Life in Gaming video. Used Breath of Fire IV as an example, and I had no idea! That being said, I think im gonna turn off smoothing for PS2.

They actually talked about this in the recent My Life in Gaming video. Used Breath of Fire IV as an example, and I had no idea! That being said, I think im gonna turn off smoothing for PS2.

thanks Teknoman, i haven't seen the video, i'll take a look at it.

(the video may have covered it) turning off smoothing really shows: playing off disc is inferior to having a digital copy. something is wrong with the ps3 hardware.

i tested with a phat and slim 2nd gen model ps3 just to be sure it wasn't isolated.

Teknoman

Heres a straight link to the section if you just want to skip to that segment:

https://youtu.be/f7fCTHu99bk?t=11m36s

BuwExDq.png

Peltz

how the hell is there extra dithering on ps3 off disc? lol

I think the bilinear filtering is turned for the download version and off for the disc version in the menu. They should look exactly the same if the user simply turns off the bilinear filtering in the advanced options.

Top Bottom