• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games on PS4 : The list

KalBalboa

Banned
Psychonauts is under $6 this week on the US PSN.

Any good articles or general impressions on it? So far I've been real happy with the PS2 on PS4 catalog in terms of performance.

Kinan

Destroy All Humans is up

Hmm, its a confusing case. It is not in the PS2 section of the US store and doesn't have a "This title has been converted from the original PlayStation®2 version to the PS4™ system" phrase in the description. Its also more expensive than PS2 emulator games. Are we sure its a PS2 version?

Grabbed Psychonauts on sale yesterday and played for about 30 mins. I already forgot how much I loved playing it back on my ps2 when the game launched.

Jocund

Hmm, its a confusing case. It is not in the PS2 section of the US store and doesn't have a "This title has been converted from the original PlayStation®2 version to the PS4™ system" phrase in the description. Its also more expensive than PS2 emulator games. Are we sure its a PS2 version?

I believe THQ Nordic ported/remastered the game themselves and released it as separate from the PS2 on PS4 initiative, hence the ridiculous price.

LancePrime

Neo Member
Don't know if this has been asked earlier in the thread, but is there ever going to be a chance of getting Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant on the PS4?

Don't know if this has been asked earlier in the thread, but is there ever going to be a chance of getting Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant on the PS4?
I hope so as those are 2 of my favorite ps2 games. I'm a bit concerned about the rights ownership since Atari went out. I think multiple companies may own the series.

Billfisto

Thirding this - I really would like to play the Shadow Hearts series again. Heck, get From the New World on there, too.

Andrefpvs

Pretty much every PS2 on PS4 game has received an update with the only patch note being "Bug fix".

Any idea what this is about?

the chris

I was thinking the other day how much I would love to play through The Suffering again the other day on the PS4. I wonder who owns the rights to that game since Midway went under.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Is implementing flags for trophy support and (I assume) needing re-certification a much more arduous process than how PS1 Classics were done? I imagine so, looking at the list of PS2 Classics on PS3.

tumblr_o3drwrFgsU1tkurtqo1_500.gif

Seeing the meagre list of PS2 on PS4 titles
it just seems like there's been no significant desire to release any aside from Sony itself and Rockstar Games. It's a tiny list that isn't getting larger at any appreciable rate. If that's the list of PS2 titles I can't see a PS1 list happening any time soon.

Not to mention PS2 on PS4 titles aren't released in Japan.

It stands in stark contrast to the number of PS1 Classics 3 years after launch on PS3:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PS_one_Classics_(Japan) -> Japan had many, and early on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PS_one_Classics_(PAL_region)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PS_one_Classics_(North_America) -> in 2009 it really kicked into high gear.

Heavy hitters like the Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot titles and Insomniac's Spyro the Dragon trilogy are up on PSN for PSP, PS3, and Vita for every major region (except for the Vita in North America). I was hoping I could play certain PS1 games I had missed or just want to play again, but it seems everyone without a PSP or PS3 is screwed in that regard.

Drayco21

I was thinking the other day how much I would love to play through The Suffering again the other day on the PS4. I wonder who owns the rights to that game since Midway went under.

The vast majority of Midway stuff was acquired by Warner, so it's probably there.

Pancake Mix

Legaia 2: Duel Saga and Ape Escape 3 are still coming I take it, but have there been any new leaks from ratings boards about upcoming titles?

I hold insane levels of nostalgia for the original Legend of Legaia on PS1 and Ape Escape 2 was a really solid game. I hope there's a platinum trophy for 3.

Rymuth

Samurai Shodown VI is up (as well as a stealth release of Red Faction)

BTW Destroy All Humans have now been placed under the PS2 category, so if you wanna add that, OP.

Kinan

Samurai Shodown VI is up (as well as a stealth release of Red Faction)

BTW Destroy All Humans have now been placed under the PS2 category, so if you wanna add that, OP.

Thanks for heads up, updated. Cannot find the Red Faction though, see only PS3 versions everywhere.

Rymuth

Destroy All Humans 2 is up.

We should be getting Red Faction next week if the early release page is to be believed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
God, the PS2 selection absolutely blows.
It does it indeed, minus a few gems it's been nothing but back bargain bin games (and I mean bargain bin when they was originally released)
I find it insulting how much Destroy all humans is.
I saw that for 2 quid within months of its original release

KalBalboa

Banned
Noticed a few of my PS2 on PS4 titles got patches this past week. Vice City, Max Payne, and Twisted Metal Black all got patched with no specific notes to highlight what was altered.

Maybe some sort of PS4 Pro bug fixes?

Oemenia

Banned
This was a feature that I was really excited about but I have to say it's not been as good as I hoped and PCSX2 is still the way to go.

The GTA trilogy has a nasty stretched aspect ratio which ruins the look of the games. Its unfortunate because it would make SA the best version available since the PS2 version has all the original graphical effects. I also bought the Metal Slug Anthology but the emulator has no filtering options. That's pretty lame when both PS3 and even PS2 did.

xHiryu

How do we know we games are coming up next? Would kill for SSX, Jak and Daxter, and Viewtiful Joe.

Just bought War of the Monsters and the fact that you can play with a buddy online is amazing! Checking out Ape Escape 2, GTA:SA, The Warriors and Rogue Galaxy to relive my PS2 days, except for Galaxy and Ape Escape which I've never played.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How do we know we games are coming up next? Would kill for SSX, Jak and Daxter, and Viewtiful Joe.

Just bought War of the Monsters and the fact that you can play with a buddy online is amazing! Checking out Ape Escape 2, GTA:SA, The Warriors and Rogue Galaxy to relive my PS2 days, except for Galaxy and Ape Escape which I've never played.

Dark Cloud 2 is the better game compared to Rogue Galaxy. Rogue Galaxy came out later though

BigEmil

Dark Cloud 2 is the better game compared to Rogue Galaxy. Rogue Galaxy came out later though
I disagree I think Rogue Galaxy is better than Dark Cloud 2 though I have finish Rogue Galaxy recently but not Dark Cloud 2 yet, I think I stopped at the part just when they left the city and the girl joins you and can put gems into weapons

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I was eyeing Dark Cloud 2 but was wondering if the first was necessary?

No, Dark Cloud 2 isn't even technically the second in the series. It was originally called Dark Chronicle in Japan, as a spiritual successor to Dark Cloud. Think Demon Souls to Dark Souls.

The universes are completely different, and IMO, the first game is a clear downgrade anyway(having come out a while before) so there's no reason to play it

Rogue Galaxy builds on certain gamplay aspects already introduced in Dark Cloud 2, but fumbles hard on the story aspect, and generally gives you a feeling of 'what i'm doing right now is pointless'.

Pancake Mix

I would recommend Rogue Galaxy over either Dark Cloud by an enormous margin, so you've done well.

Rogue Galaxy is a fantastic action RPG developed for a slightly older audience that has some slight Treasure Planet and Xenoblade vibes. Give it a shot.

Dark Cloud 2 isn't really that good, nor is its predecessor. Level-5 got better with time. Rogue Galaxy came out after they did Dragon Quest VIII so they were at peak performance level by that point.

Holmes

Dark Cloud 2 is in the same universe as the first game. There are characters from the first that make appearances in the second.

Top Bottom