• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games on PS4 : The list

Kinan

OP is again up to date. :) Not that much happened in the last month. :/ Hope for Ape Escape 2 next week with August PSN update.

Strangely enough, there's a page for Grandia III on the NA PS4 store under the PS2 section. It's still listed as a PS2 classic for PS3, though.

kevin1025

Banned
Strangely enough, there's a page for Grandia III on the NA PS4 store under the PS2 section. It's still listed as a PS2 classic for PS3, though.

I think it's either they had the PS3 version sitting around and just released it before they release the PS4 version, or someone messed up.

Legend of Legaia 2 has just been rated for Europe :)

http://gematsu.com/2016/07/legaia-2-rated-ps4-europe

Very cool! With this and now Ape Escape 2 getting trophies, there's some decent PS2-PS4 news finally. I wish it wasn't so dry between releases, but they're slowly trickling out, at least.

kevin1025

Banned
Unless I'm forgetting something, it sounds like only three games are now unknown for release:

Ape Escape 3
Indigo Prophecy (which almost came out but then was delayed)
Legaia 2

Hopefully more start to get rated or rumored soon.

Tsunamo

Are all new EU releases in proper 60hz now?

I recall Ape Escape 2 being really slow when I played it years back but i'm not sure if that was due to being 50hz only or not at the time, so I might be cautious and wait for the US release.

Edit: Bit the bullet on it, so i'm positive this isn't 50hz going by how fast it is compared to what I remember playing and it also seems to be the US version (main character is called Hikaru instead of Jimmy) and having only played Rogue Galaxy on PS4 i'm kind of shocked, it has the option between selecting proper 4:3 and widescreen/16:9 modes. The game itself looks great too, really pleased so far.

I can't wait for 3! Fingers crossed you US folks get it pop up on your store soon!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Is this version of Bully the Scholarship Edition or the original version? The game is on sale this week and I was hoping to pick it up.

RedBoot

Huh, I missed the news about Legaia 2. I know Eidos released it in the US, and Wiki tells me they did the same for Europe. So who would have the rights? Square Enix or Sony? Sony presumably owns the IP, but Ape Escape 2 gave us an example of what happens with a Sony IP that got published by a different company.

On the same note, where's Legend of Legaia for the PS1? Sony shouldn't have any rights issues there.

Hobbun

Huh, I missed the news about Legaia 2. I know Eidos released it in the US, and Wiki tells me they did the same for Europe. So who would have the rights? Square Enix or Sony? Sony presumably owns the IP, but Ape Escape 2 gave us an example of what happens with a Sony IP that got published by a different company.

On the same note, where's Legend of Legaia for the PS1? Sony shouldn't have any rights issues there.

There is actually a game-breaking bug with Legaia 1 on the PS3 when playing the disc. I am guessing that bug would still happen on the PS4 (digitally), but then I'm not really sure.

RedBoot

There is actually a game-breaking bug with Legaia 1 on the PS3 when playing the disc. I am guessing that bug would still happen on the PS4 (digitally), but then I'm not really sure.

Wow, weird, never heard about that. It's got to be some sort of bug with the emulator. I suspect if they ever made it available digitally, they'd look into a fix, but that might be more effort than they'd be willing to put forth.

Clearly the solution is to enable PS1 games on the PS4, where the glitch might not happen due to the different hardware. And if it did happen...well, enable PS1 on PS4 anyway. Won't hurt. :p

radaxian

Metal Slug Anthology just released in PAL regions. I hope this is the 60Hz/NTSC version because the PAL PS2 release was terribly optimised and the controls were significantly laggy.

So when are more PS2 games coming to PS4 Sony?
This seems to have trickled now to about 1-2 releases every other month. There's such a huge library on ps2 I feel we'all never get to see again. I wish more devs would jump onboard. Onimisha, Suikoden, Dragon Quest VIII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean 3, Grandia 2 and so forth.

Still waiting for...

latest

Suzzopher

So when are more PS2 games coming to PS4 Sony?
This seems to have trickled now to about 1-2 releases every other month. There's such a huge library on ps2 I feel we'all never get to see again. I wish more devs would jump onboard. Onimisha, Suikoden, Dragon Quest VIII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean 3, Grandia 2 and so forth.

It's weird how only Rockstar and SNK are the only third parties supporting this.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Imagine if we got Sega, Capcom and Konami PS2 games on PS4...

Then we'd have things like the onimusha series, latterday megaman x games, maximo games, clover stuff like god hand and viewtiiful joe, a bunch of cool contra and castlevania games, sonic heroes, a bunch of gems.

radaxian

Then we'd have things like the onimusha series, latterday megaman x games, maximo games, clover stuff like god hand and viewtiiful joe, a bunch of cool contra and castlevania games, sonic heroes, a bunch of gems.

It might not be exactly what you want, but they did re-release heaps of those games on the PS3 so that's still an option to play them on modern TVs for people who have that platform.

lupinko

Yakuza 2 (runs very poorly on my PCSX2) and God hand.
Thanks in advance.

Yakuza 2 was already remastered on PS3. That's better than an emulated PS2 version, and since Yakuza 1 was remade with Kiwami (even after it got remastered on PS3 and Wii U prior), it's somewhat likely that Sega will just end up remaking Part 2 on PS4 after Part 6.

Co-sign on god hand!

This has been nothing but a disappointment. If it really is trophies that's causing the delays they need to drop them and reduce the price since it involves less work

This has been nothing but a disappointment. If it really is trophies that's causing the delays they need to drop them and reduce the price since it involves less work

Trophies are the only reason I want them though :p

I could play SMT3 right now on PS3 but I'd rather wait and see if it gets a PS4 version with trophies.

Top Bottom