• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games on PS4 : The list

Ravage

Very cool news. I hope all of these PS2 RPG releases are doing well so that we can get a bunch of the Xenosaga/SMT/Star Ocean style games. I missed out on so many great RPG's during that generation.

Have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of jrpgs in the list. Aside from SE who had never supported PS2 Classics, I'm now expecting most of my favorite games to appear over time.

Wild Arms 3 for PS4 launches May 17 in North America

Wild Arms 3 will launch for PlayStation 4 via PS2 emulation in North America on May 17, the latest PlayStation Blogcast reveals.

The Media Vision-developed RPG first launched for PS2 in 2002. Here’s an overview, via PlayStation.com:

Wild Arms 3 delivers everything RPG gamers expect: an in-depth storyline, puzzling dungeons & a unique battling system. Journey along with Virginia, Jet, Clive and Gallows and discover the mystery behind the Prophets to revive the memories of Filgaia. Explore dungeons to unlock secret pathways and find mythical treasures. Gun Blazing shoot-outs deliver intense cinematic battles. Wild Arms 3 embodies tried-and-true elements of a role-playing classic.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/wild-arms-3-ps4-launches-may-17-north-america

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
So I have not read the whole thread but has there been any news on siren ? Like release date or something ?
Also really hoping games like god hand or yakuza 1 and 2 get to be in the list.

Oemenia

Banned
I asked this in another thread but got no replies but how are the controls on the GTA games since the DS4 does not have pressure sensitive face buttons?

Given the cost of these games I really wish Sony would let us use a DS3.

gwailo

Banned
I asked this in another thread but got no replies but how are the controls on the GTA games since the DS4 does not have pressure sensitive face buttons?

Given the cost of these games I really wish Sony would let us use a DS3.

I've played most of the way through GTA3 and it plays fine.

BTW the GTA games are on sale until the store gets its' new stuff today.

5taquitos

I'm ashamed to admit that I never played any of the Wild Arms over the years,aside from a few hours on the first. I've always been interested though. Is 3 an OK place to jump in?

Kinan

Thanks guys, updated the OP with Wild Arms3 and Kinetica. The "upcoming" list is getting smaller, but where is my Psychonauts? "Spring" is almost over.

Hobbun

I really hope we get Grandia II for the PS4. Would be really great if we could get the Anniversary edition released last year on Steam.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm ashamed to admit that I never played any of the Wild Arms over the years,aside from a few hours on the first. I've always been interested though. Is 3 an OK place to jump in?

Having never played a Wild Arms game until this one, yes, it's simply a very solid JRPG with some puzzle elements that isn't directly related to the other games.

I really hope we get Grandia II for the PS4. Would be really great if we could get the Anniversary edition released last year on Steam.

Would need Ubisoft's blessing, right? At any rate, it would need someone's as it's not Sony's game.

Would love to play it myself.

Rymuth

"In particular, Rockstar Games has been having tremendous success with their hit PlayStation 2 titles such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Bully, which are now available for download on the PlayStation 4, via the console's emulation technology."
San Andreas still kicking so much ass after all these years.

Toki767

I wonder if other publishers will read that and pile in. I'd like to see a pretty comprehensive selection of PS2 games on PSN.

I really do wonder which third party devs have shown interest in this. A lot of games so far are Sony published games. Rockstar seems to be the third party publisher that is embracing it the most.

I really do wonder which third party devs have shown interest in this. A lot of games so far are Sony published games. Rockstar seems to be the third party publisher that is embracing it the most.

Indeed, it's pretty odd that we've seen so little support from other publishers thus far. Rockstar are the kind of creme de la creme bigwigs of the industry that you'd expect to jump on board last, but instead they've gone all in from the beginning.

Wiggy

I wonder what san andreas is at in life time sales now. Didn't it hit 30~ mill on ps2 alone? With all the platforms its on must be huge.

aadiboy

Atlus put up their entire PS2 catalog up on the PS3 store, so I imagine it's only a matter of time until the same goes for the PS4. Probably not until a while after Persona 5 comes out.

mdzapeer

So, PC emulation or PS4 emulation, which is a better experience?

I know one advantage with PS4 is the trophy support.

But what about the Visuals quality, audio etc?

There is something I don't understand... PS2 classics work only on ps3 ? But some on PS4 ? What is the difference between, say, Persona 3 FES (PS3) and Wild Arms 3 (PS4) ?

sheaaaa

There is something I don't understand... PS2 classics work only on ps3 ? But some on PS4 ?

Two separate types of releases. PS2 games on PS4 have trophies and other enhancements, and are a separate library from what's been released for PS3, meaning if you've bought a PS2 classic on PS3, and they rerelease it on PS4, you have to buy it again.

Two separate types of releases. PS2 games on PS4 have trophies and other enhancements, and are a separate library from what's been released for PS3, meaning if you've bought a PS2 classic on PS3, and they rerelease it on PS4, you have to buy it again.

Ok, I think I get it. So PS2 classics are not planned for PS4 then ?

I've yet to play any of these games on PS4, but I can tell you from experience that PS2 emulation on PC is real hit and miss. Scaling PS2 assets up to HD resolution with no custom touch-ups results in some unavoidable graphics glitches. For example, I played Dark Cloud 2 on an emulator recently and in certain dungeons the fidelity was so high that I would see literal seams between pieces of the geometry, whereas they would have been invisible in standard definition. I've never encountered anything game-breaking, but there are constant reminders that you're not playing the game the way it was intended.

PS2 emulation can be a bit of a pain to configure, as well. You can mess with settings until you're blue in the face and still feel like something's not quite right. If I had a desire to play any of the games on this list I would sooner buy it on PS4 than mess around with PCSX2.

Hobbun

Would need Ubisoft's blessing, right? At any rate, it would need someone's as it's not Sony's game.

True…

So what do you think the chances are of that? Not asking in sarcastic sense, but really not sure what their willingness would be to do that.

I mean they already went through the trouble of sprucing the game for the Anniversary edition, this would just be a re-release. Sony would implement the trophies themselves, correct?

Heartfyre

Another advantage is that it's no-grey-area, 100% legal, if you decide you don't want to feel any moral compunctions around BIOS reappropriation.

Visual quality gets a significant leap up from the originals, with double the internal resolution and the rest upscaled to 1080p. It's possible to emulate games on PC to higher resolutions if you have the horsepower to pull it off, I suppose, but the games look as good as they can when scaled correctly, and when the max resolution available is 1080p. I don't notice any improvement in audio, but considering it's the same library program that would have been burned onto discs a decade and a half ago, that's to be expected.

radaxian

Rad to see Okage get a release in PAL territories. I saw it on the AU store keen to try it out

Yeah imported a copy of the US version a few years ago and was amazed to see this pop up. I noticed it still hasn't been rated either, though they slapped a PG on it in the store. As I expected we didn't get Manhunt though.

Top Bottom