• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

My hype levels are dropping with the reports of faulty consoles and psn tanking. What a fucking joke, this shit is unacceptable. I took the day off work, now I gotta hope my console functions properly. This is the first sony console I'm getting on launch, we're not off to a good start on our new relationship sony!

Mondy

Banned
So is everyone using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 or rather going with a third party cable?

I saw a post on Twitter saying the cable provided with the system is causing damage to the HDMI port on the system and wanted to know if anyone had experienced this issue.

I'll definitely be playing it safe on the 29th and ditching the provided cable for one of my own. These reports are way too widespread to ignore.

My hype levels are dropping with the reports of faulty consoles and psn tanking. What a fucking joke, this shit is unacceptable. I took the day off work, now I gotta hope my console functions properly. This is the first sony console I'm getting on launch, we're not off to a good start on our new relationship sony!

Did you really think an online feature of a heavily hyped thing would go well? I can't think of a single time a game or service launched that didn't have online problems.

bob page

You thought PSN was going to work flawless on launch day? And faulty consoles don't seem to be widespread at all- very isolated, just like they said.

Aeroangel

Banned
really? I can view this thread on PS3 no problem & that scored 80 vs the PS4's 358, that makes no sense.

Thankfully it's super easy to upload with the Share button, so I can show you =) This is what happens after I click on this thread on the PS4 :

BZIC0-EIcAAZz1x.jpg:large

Gamespawn

Backstory: Long time ago I hooked up this chick with my extra Armin Van Buuren ticket through Facebook. Fast forward to today; PS4 launch day. I didn't pre-order a PS4 cause I wasn't planning on getting one at launch initially. However, the hype got to me and I drove to multiple stores just to have them tell me that they were all accounted for. So I put up a facebook post as well for the hell of it. 10 minutes later, the same chick hits me up and tells me that her boyfriend picked up an extra PS4 and he'll sell it to me. I immediately take out $450 cash and go meet them up for the exchange.

The exchange: I meet them with cash in hand and hand $450 to him. He counts it, smiles and says "I'll tell you what. You made our night a while back with that free Armin ticket so I'll sell you this PS4 for $200." At this point my mind goes blank for a second and I'm thinking he's fucking with me. He repeats the same thing again and it sinks in a bit further. At this point, I start to tear up a bit, tell them they're gonna make a grown ass man cry and bear hug the living hell out of both of them. I held them for like 15 good seconds to the point of awkwardness because this shit left me completely flabbergast. He hands me the rest of the money and only takes $200. I kept thanking them afterwards haha.

Finally we parted ways, me with my brand spanking new PS4 in hand. Drove home with the biggest fucking smile on my face and still misty eyed. So here I am, back at home with a brand new PS4 that I got for $200 cash. I'm still in disbelief a bit and can't wait till I swap the drive with my spare SSD at hand and set this baby up. What a great day it has been so far. An act of kindness goes a long way and I'll never forget this day. Hope you guys are enjoying your PS4s as well. :)

Would you agree then that it's "A Perfect Day...." ?

Jeels

Is PSN going really slow or what, even through menus.

Also, why is my Ps4 light white when in use, I thought ir was supposed to be blue

I wouldnt worry about it. Myself and many others here are having a great launch experience. Psn issues will be coming and going for the next few days thats a given.
When you unbox your ps4 check where the hdmi cable cable plugs into the back of the ps4, is anything sticking out? Does your hdmi plug in flush?

Also dont download warframe until their update process gets fixed.

Xenon

IdU81Be.jpg

The only thing that divides them is Halo. Halo2's metal case to be exact. :)

Update was fast. Now I just need to decide which game to download Battlefield 4 or Knack. Something tells me Knack is going to be on plus within a month or two.

Aeroangel

Banned
Is PSN going really slow or what, even through menus.

Also, why is my Ps4 light white when in use, I thought ir was supposed to be blue

I'm not having any issues with the store or any other part of the interface, so far everything is pretty quick! My PS4 light is also white, but then again I haven't looked at it while playing a game so maybe it changes?

Smidget

WTF. Hmmm... can't get it to show up through my receiver at all. I even unplugged my working 360 HDMI and then plug that same cable into the PS4 and it's not showing up... am I missing something stupid?

fritolay

New PSN user, I have a question.

Does the free PSN+ is that for the console or is that just for one login?

Can I create a login for both myself and a family member, and then both of us try PSN+?

wwm0nkey

WTF. Hmmm... can't get it to show up through my receiver at all. I even unplugged my working 360 HDMI and then plug that same cable into the PS4 and it's not showing up... am I missing something stupid?
Check tbe inside of your HDMI cord and the HDMI out on the PS4. Might ne a loose connector in there.

Megasoum

Banned
lol the PSN store is still slow to navigate... Not as terrible as on the PS3 but still kinda slugish.

Also it's not really well designed. For like 10min I thought it was not registering my PS+ sub when in fact I had to move OVER the big "Please subscribe to PS+" page that they show you even if you're already subbed.

ckohler

Thankfully it's super easy to upload with the Share button, so I can show you =) This is what happens after I click on this thread on the PS4 :

Do you get the mobile site? If so, then try using the preferences on the mobile site to disable gifs, avatars, etc.

Smidget

maybe you have a faulty ps4 HDMI port

Crap... I mean I know the cable is working, so it can't be that... so it must be the port. Or something to do with the handshake between receiver and PS4? Guess I'll try it on a different tv directly in....

mazillion

So I looked out the window and saw a golf cart lugging around a little trailer with a ton of boxes in the back. It was like a flat pallet on wheels. It's raining outside and all the boxes were getting soaked. They weren't covered at all. I was like "Wtf? Noooo, it can't be..." but sure enough, he walks up to my house and leaves my amazon box at my door all soaked and soggy :/ at least he put a bag around it when he left it at the door.

Good news is the ps4 box isn't really that wet at all and MY PS4 IS HERE!!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

vv28c.jpg

but crazy considering the RAM differences, as you can see PS3 handles it fine.

Jachaos

So I've heard that there's been issues with getting online, downloading updates, HDMI ports - what should I do as soon as I get it in a couple hours ? Plug in my own HDMI cable and stay offline ?

TriGen

Alright, everything is finally setup. Downloading Resogun and Contrast now. My Amazon retail games shipment should be here soon as it's on-route for delivery.

Milennia

So are people with full headsets able to connect them to the jack on the controller and get full game audio, as well as chat? Like can you use the mic?

For the "Please Wait" PSN issue. I found this at the PS Community forums (Credits to Kikoshi)

1. Hold the Home button and turn off the PS4.
2.Turn it back on and you can skip this part.
3. Go to Settings and factory restore the settings, don't confuse this with Formating. Just restore its settings.
4. Enter everything again and things should work perfectly for you know
Worked for me.
worked for me. thanks

Pretty annoyed at the news that the Playstation 4 will be sold for around 562 USD here in Malaysia. Problem is it's only around 480USD in Hong Kong, and that was the price I was planning for. Now with this, i have to choose from not buying either a 1TB hard disk, a new router, or a few games :(

I hate customs tax.

NoTacos

So I just completed an 8 hour gaming binge overnight. Aside from initial update and psn issues, the hardware is solid, no problems.

What this I hear about Warframe bricking consoles? I downloaded it but have yet to touch it.

Elchele

Pretty annoyed at the news that the Playstation 4 will be sold for around 562 USD here in Malaysia. Problem is it's only around 480USD in Hong Kong, and that was the price I was planning for. Now with this, i have to choose from not buying either a 1TB hard disk, a new router, or a few games :(

I hate customs tax.

I paid 700USD. don't cry

spannicus

For the "Please Wait" PSN issue. I found this at the PS Community forums (Credits to Kikoshi)

1. Hold the Home button and turn off the PS4.
2.Turn it back on and you can skip this part.
3. Go to Settings and factory restore the settings, don't confuse this with Formating. Just restore its settings.
4. Enter everything again and things should work perfectly for you know

Worked for me.

THANKS!

Top Bottom