• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Backstory: Long time ago I hooked up this chick with my extra Armin Van Buuren ticket through Facebook. Fast forward to today; PS4 launch day. I didn't pre-order a PS4 cause I wasn't planning on getting one at launch initially. However, the hype got to me and I drove to multiple stores just to have them tell me that they were all accounted for. So I put up a facebook post as well for the hell of it. 10 minutes later, the same chick hits me up and tells me that her boyfriend picked up an extra PS4 and he'll sell it to me. I immediately take out $450 cash and go meet them up for the exchange.

The exchange: I meet them with cash in hand and hand $450 to him. He counts it, smiles and says "I'll tell you what. You made our night a while back with that free Armin ticket so I'll sell you this PS4 for $200." At this point my mind goes blank for a second and I'm thinking he's fucking with me. He repeats the same thing again and it sinks in a bit further. At this point, I start to tear up a bit, tell them they're gonna make a grown ass man cry and bear hug the living hell out of both of them. I held them for like 15 good seconds to the point of awkwardness because this shit left me completely flabbergast. He hands me the rest of the money and only takes $200. I kept thanking them afterwards haha.

Finally we parted ways, me with my brand spanking new PS4 in hand. Drove home with the biggest fucking smile on my face and still misty eyed. So here I am, back at home with a brand new PS4 that I got for $200 cash. I'm still in disbelief a bit and can't wait till I swap the drive with my spare SSD at hand and set this baby up. What a great day it has been so far. An act of kindness goes a long way and I'll never forget this day. Hope you guys are enjoying your PS4s as well. :)

Fantastic story, enjoy it!

Plumpman

Anyone know the reasoning behind the 2 file downloads whenever you nab a game?
Is the initial download just for the "Game Overview" Icon on your bar, and the 2nd file the actual game?

Seems odd that you can even try starting the game without it being downloaded, should just be 1 file unless they have some use for it in the future with 2 files.

Outside of PSN, mines working fine.

However, a buddy of mine bought his at Target. Once he got home and downloaded the update, he's only getting sound, no picture. Hard reboots, switching cables, switching TVs, etc. He's pretty burnt out. :(

Spacebar

Is anyone having issues buying games off the psn store? I'm trying to get Injustice from the upgrade program, but it says unavailable for purchase.

Guys I bought Battlefield 4 Premium (PS3/PS4 crossbuy) during the spend 50/ get 10 deal, and Battlefield 4 on PS4 doesn't seem to recognize that I own it, it wants me to buy it again.

Anyone else getting this? Any suggestions?

BadWolf

Backstory: Long time ago I hooked up this chick with my extra Armin Van Buuren ticket through Facebook. Fast forward to today; PS4 launch day. I didn't pre-order a PS4 cause I wasn't planning on getting one at launch initially. However, the hype got to me and I drove to multiple stores just to have them tell me that they were all accounted for. So I put up a facebook post as well for the hell of it. 10 minutes later, the same chick hits me up and tells me that her boyfriend picked up an extra PS4 and he'll sell it to me. I immediately take out $450 cash and go meet them up for the exchange.

The exchange: I meet them with cash in hand and hand $450 to him. He counts it, smiles and says "I'll tell you what. You made our night a while back with that free Armin ticket so I'll sell you this PS4 for $200." At this point my mind goes blank for a second and I'm thinking he's fucking with me. He repeats the same thing again and it sinks in a bit further. At this point, I start to tear up a bit, tell them they're gonna make a grown ass man cry and bear hug the living hell out of both of them. I held them for like 15 good seconds to the point of awkwardness because this shit left me completely flabbergast. He hands me the rest of the money and only takes $200. I kept thanking them afterwards haha.

Finally we parted ways, me with my brand spanking new PS4 in hand. Drove home with the biggest fucking smile on my face and still misty eyed. So here I am, back at home with a brand new PS4 that I got for $200 cash. I'm still in disbelief a bit and can't wait till I swap the drive with my spare SSD at hand and set this baby up. What a great day it has been so far. An act of kindness goes a long way and I'll never forget this day. Hope you guys are enjoying your PS4s as well. :)

Man that's awesome.

Atilac

Guys I bought Battlefield 4 Premium (PS3/PS4 crossbuy) during the spend 50/ get 10 deal, and Battlefield 4 on PS4 doesn't seem to recognize that I own it, it wants me to buy it again.

Anyone else getting this? Any suggestions?
You sure premium was a crossbuy?

tirminyl

Awesome story dude!

Streaming Killzone Shadow Fall now. www.twitch.tv/slasherjpc Started from the beginning.

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a twitch stream thread or something to watch everyone play until I got mine.

So, after trying to log into PSN for a couple hours last night, I was finally able to get on. Even then, things were only half working, but it was enough to download Resogun and try out many of the features. Here's my take so far:

System: Massive improvement from PS3. So fast and fluid, and I feel like things are grouped better. Background downloads and installs are seamless and actual downloads (not PSN sign-in) worked very fast. Jumping from the game to dash to game was flawless. I'm not a fan of the shape of the shell but it's well made and seems to cool properly. I tried watching a blu-ray and it looked like it was going to start but all I ever got was a black screen. System wasn't locked up but it wasn't doing anything either. I don't know if you can hide the icons for Music Unlimited or not but if not, that's a con.

Controller: Massive improvement from DS3. Buttons, triggers, and d-pad all feel great. Sticks are improved. I would still prefer the offset location for the sticks, but this is doable. I feel the shape on the tops of the sticks is a little small and uncomfortable. Might invest in some 'toppers" of some sort. I did not think the light on the controller was too bothersome in the UI, but while playing KZ last night it turned green and the reflection was pretty obvious on the TV. Might cover up the light. Honestly, light shouldn't even come on if you don't have the PSEye hooked up.

Store: Much faster and therefore less frustrating than before, however I feel that the layout is still a massive clusterfuck. I don't want to scroll through your giant promo cards to get to any of the "real" lists at the end, Sony.

Killzone-SF: Seems okay so far. Graphics are good but as a PC gamer they aren't anything to write home about. I've gotten pretty used to higher framerates. 30FPS is starting to become annoying.

Resogun: It's fine. Beat the first two bosses. Nice take on Defender but I doubt I'll play it much, honestly. Didn't grab me. Some significant slowdown when tons of particles onscreen. Possibly intentional.

ZeroAKA

Which PS4 launch games support local (split-screen) multiplayer? And are there any games that support local multiplayer with the Vita as a second controller?

BizzyBum

Has anyone managed to connect their Vita?

Was able to control the TV but the Vita screen was black, then the system got that CE error, now I tried to go back into it and my system is frozen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The system design is truly beautiful. It is bold and powerful all while appearing modern and sleek. It almost has this like...contrapposto appearance to it. My new waifu

how can you quickly check your controllers battery life? i haven't updated to 1.5 yet, but right now it seems i need to hold the ps button down in order to get a battery display. also, how do you know when the controller is done charging? does the controller itself give you any kind of feedback?

Has anyone managed to connect their Vita?

Was able to control the TV but the Vita screen was black, then the system got that CE error, now I tried to go back into it and my system is frozen.
yes, worked fine for me. if your ps4 is on a lan, be sure to also set up wifi.

Smidget

Anyone having any luck getting a PS4 in stores at Kmart or anything this morning? I cannot believe my one from Amazon isn't working :/ I just want it for the weekend already and then get a full refund from Amazon at this point :/

Should we make an official NEOGAF PS4 Stream thread. And maybe have a self publish excel file where gaffers update what time and what game they are streaming.

Top Bottom