• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is Blacklight Retribution any fun? Is it even worth looking into if I'm already getting Killzone and Battlefield?

I think this is the first time in gaming history where a Company is making major new game announcements hours before their new console goes on sale. Pretty exciting Sony really planned everything out this time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is the first time in gaming history where a Company is making major new game announcements hours before their new console goes on sale. Pretty exciting Sony really planned everything out this time.
Is it confirmed that they're making major announcements, or is that just speculation? I haven't followed that thread / news at all.

Is it confirmed that they're making major announcements, or is that just speculation? I haven't followed that thread / news at all.

Sorry I misinterpreted "world premiers". I wish someone would come out and be clear if this is "world premier of new footage of already known games" or World premier of actual new games. But don't expect Geoff Keighley to clear up any confusion his career depends on people tuning in.

I obviously can't speak for every location, but my Gamestop had a lot of their PS4 games in stock and were willing to sell me my pre-ordered copy of Knack when I went in today.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
PS3 kiosk has been removed from my Gamestop. You had a good run but your time is over, old friend.
irfjJ7ZhymPxM.png

Give me a new Infamous trailer and power reveal and I'll be happy.

Zoator

Shuhei Yoshida says no, although his exchange with Geoff Keighley makes it hard to tell whether or not he's trolling. I wouldn't expect much, though. Most likely just some new info and footage for games that have already been announced.

I expect Sony to trickle out major announcements from now until E3. It was obviously their strategy from the start and it will make a very interesting six months or so.

Qvoth

Is Blacklight Retribution any fun? Is it even worth looking into if I'm already getting Killzone and Battlefield?
I played it for a month or so a few months ago
I had fun, too bad the game is limited to 8v8
I like my multiplayer games to be crowded

Krafter

My plan is to wait an entire year before jumping in, to kill the PS3 backlog and to wait for the kinks to be worked out, but damn am I getting pumped up now.

Izayoi

Banned
Guys, please keep in mind that the SSHD test linked earlier was very carefully set up.

Especially with how huge next-gen games are and will be, the performance gains will NOT be as significant as they are in that video.

Ultimately, other than maybe booting the console a bit faster, a 5400RPM SSHD is going to be just as fast as a 7200RPM HDD in most use cases.

Papacheeks

Banned
Theoretically Does anyone know if people going to midnight launch who haven't preorderd will be able to pick a system up, at Gamestop or Target?

I'm asking because my roommate didn't preorder as I did?

P.S. we live in a small town.

Damaniel

Banned
Guys, please keep in mind that the SSHD test linked earlier was a very carefully set up.

Especially with how huge next-gen games are and will be, the performance gains will NOT be as significant as they are in that video.

Ultimately, other than maybe booting the console a bit faster, a 5400RPM SSHD is going to be just as fast as a 7200RPM HDD in most use cases.

This is my concern, and the reason I haven't jumped on board yet. The SSD portion of those SSHDs is only 8GB. Only a fraction of a single game can be cached to the SSD part at a time, and so most data is still probably going to come off the platters.

We'll know in a week if SSHDs make a difference. If they do, I'll probably get one (I'd consider an SSD if I could afford a 500+GB one, but if I could afford one of those, it would go into my desktop, not my PS4...)

tripleV

I'm debating on taking my son to pick up my pre-order at midnight or watching the PS4 All Access event on television to further extend my hype level. On one hand I end the torture of waiting, but on the other I get to avoid a potential mugging in front of my son.

Izayoi

Banned
This is my concern, and the reason I haven't jumped on board yet. The SSD portion of those SSHDs is only 8GB. Only a fraction of a single game can be cached to the SSD part at a time, and so most data is still probably going to come off the platters.
Exactly the problem. In a few years when the SSD portion is 32GB or 64GB it might be a different story, but right now you might even be gimping yourself by going with an SSHD over a 7200RPM drive.

They're great for OS drives and app-heavy environments like desktops, but when dealing with games the gains are significantly less.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm scared. I've had my PS4 pre-ordered since July, but obviously money issues weren't a problem back then. I can pay for the pre-order with no problem, however, buying a PS4 would be an extremely irresponsible purchase at this point when I'm trying to save money. I honestly should go to Amazon and cancel it, but I want it so badly. ;__;

I'm scared. I've had my PS4 pre-ordered since July, but obviously money issues weren't a problem back then. I can pay for the pre-order with no problem, however, buying a PS4 would be an extremely irresponsible purchase at this point when I'm trying to save money. I honestly should go to Amazon and cancel it, but I want it so badly. ;__;

Buy it and sell it to a gaffer at cost+shipping. There is bound to be someone who missed out on preordering it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
...not like this...

why can't they just save everything for the event? ugh, might have to avoid gaf now till ps4 release :(
I'm super sensitive to spoilers for games. But spoilers for game announcements? C'mon now.

wizzbang

Banned
Where is the best place to ask the obscure questions? I've tried multiple times to bounce a thread of mine which no one seems to have interest in.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700981&highlight=camera
(That's fine sure I guess :/ )

I really want to know though, where a good Q&A regarding little specific things can be had? Does anyone have any suggestions? Moderators? Even if the questions I ask below are all somehow answered in reply to this, it would be nice to have a definitive Q&A or FAQ thread, I'm not sure this should be it surely?

Questions ahead, sorry if some seem petty and unimportant but you know I'm curious about the little things:

What type of headset can be plugged into the DS4 controller (will an iphone / android headset work in stereo?) -- if it does work, can you do voice chat AND game audio through headset at the same time?

Has anyone yet got the camera plugged into a PC? Is it actually USB with a proprietary shaped plug or not?

Is anyone aware of a team / guy / group writing a "proper" DS4 driver for PC yet? Full BT support, Sixaxis, trackpad, BT, rumble etc (I believe it's theoretically possible)

Does the provided headset come with a mute button?

What does the speaker on the DS4 do? Is that classed as yet another audio output device for the PS4 (which would then have theoretically 3, headset voice output, main HDMI speaker / game audio output and the mini controller speaker?)

Where / when is there going to be a UI demonstration?

Will there be any changes to the web based PSN service (Which has slowly got better) when the PS4 launches? http://us.playstation.com/psn/signin/

Is there any way to "force" the install of the games to the drive, before launching the game? How do we know the install of a game is complete? (It's been confirmed by the guy who took a PS4 home from the warehouse that Killzone was slightly slower for a while at the start while it was installing the game - and yes this guys story sounds pretty plausible, first guy to leak box pics)

I can probably think of dozens more, if anyone knows of a thread covering this kind of specific little things please let me know <3
Thanks all and good luck next week, I'll be wrapping up work about 11pm your time and rushing home to hopefully (?) tune in to GiantBomb around 7pm my time.

Sorry to quote me, yet again but does literally no one care about any of the obscure simple little things? I'm dying to know about a heap of this shit. I know very well it's more powerful than the Xbox One, it's been stressed in 10,000 damn threads, what I don't know is the little things. :{

Guys.

Do you realize that, AT LAUNCH, ALMOST ALL OF US will have access to:

The Playroom
Blacklight:Retribution
Warframe
Resogun, and
Contrast

WITHOUT PAYING AN EXTRA CENT?! There is so much I need to download.

Resogun and Contrast (the replacement for Driveclub) are only free if you have a PS+ subscription. The others you listed are indeed free. Also (as many know) most free to play games do not require PS+ for MP, but as Sony said, that's at the developer's discretion.

Andvary

I won't be able to buy the console at launch but I want to say I'm very excited about it and I think Sony has done a great job so far.

Top Bottom