• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I'm super sensitive to spoilers for games. But spoilers for game announcements? C'mon now.

no, not because of spoilers. I'm just thinking why they would blow their load early instead of giving us everything during the actual event for maximum hype.

RetroMG

So I need to have some dental work done this week. Nothing major, but enough to justify taking a day off to my boss. So I go to the dentist at 8 on Friday, and the rest of the day is mine to play PS4.

Krakn3Dfx

fd6zeAh.gif

-SD-

Banned

Dune1975

Banned
I had planned my entire Friday out and was all set to just sit at home all day till the mailman cometh, but sadly my History Prof. announced we have an exam on that day now throwing my plans into chaos. So now I have to run to my college which is like 45 mins away, take a 15 min long exam, only to then to back home in 45 mins and hope I didn't miss my delivery in that time. Mannnnnnnn......

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
no, not because of spoilers. I'm just thinking why they would blow their load early instead of giving us everything during the actual event for maximum hype.
I don't care about the spectacle, I care about the games.

Okay, maybe I like the spectacle, too.

Boyzi

Banned
All the best to my American and Canadian brethren for next Friday's PS4 release...from a VERY jealous English gamer LOL :)

olimpia84

I'll be checking the amazon package tracker like a madman next week even though there isn't a whole I can do about until I get out of work lol

wizzbang

Banned
Guys.

Do you realize that, AT LAUNCH, ALMOST ALL OF US will have access to:

The Playroom
Blacklight:Retribution
Warframe
Resogun, and
Contrast

WITHOUT PAYING AN EXTRA CENT?! There is so much I need to download.

Can those be queued up yet? I know on the US store you can "pre-order" Warframe - can you do it for EU?

...not like this...

why can't they just save everything for the event? ugh, might have to avoid gaf now till ps4 release :(

If he handles it like the VGA's, which is likely how it will be handled, then you shouldn't expect anything to specifically be said/shown aside from "We'll show a new inFamous/DRIVECLUB trailer". The new game announcements will only be hinted at through clues or short videos like they did with The Last of Us, MGSV and Dark Souls 2. So, there really wouldn't be any reason to avoid the forum until the release. Well, unless you don't want to hear about new trailers debuting for games that have already been announced.

Dartastic

Resogun and Contrast (the replacement for Driveclub) are only free if you have a PS+ subscription. The others you listed are indeed free. Also (as many know) most free to play games do not require PS+ for MP, but as Sony said, that's at the developer's discretion.
If you own a PS3 and you don't have a PS+ subscription at this point you're doing it wrong.

demigod

Just checked my Gamestop order and its Value shipping, anyone know if it'll arrive on the 15th or way later?

Loudninja

If he handles it like the VGA's, which is likely how it will be handled, then you shouldn't expect anything to specifically be said/shown aside from "We'll show a new inFamous/DRIVECLUB trailer". The new game announcements will only be hinted at through clues or short videos like they did with The Last of Us, MGSV and Dark Souls 2. So, there really wouldn't be any reason to avoid the forum until the release. Well, unless you don't want to hear about new trailers debuting for games that have already been announced.
Yep!

a916

Other than the console launching during that time :p

Sorry to quote me, yet again but does literally no one care about any of the obscure simple little things? I'm dying to know about a heap of this shit. I know very well it's more powerful than the Xbox One, it's been stressed in 10,000 damn threads, what I don't know is the little things. :{

Alot of things you have asked have been covered somewhere

Ill give you some answers, but im too lazy to track down sources for them.

What type of headset can be plugged into the DS4 controller (will an iphone / android headset work in stereo?) -- if it does work, can you do voice chat AND game audio through headset at the same time?

Any 3.5mm headset with the 3 bands should work. Game audio should be able to be sent to them as well.

Has anyone yet got the camera plugged into a PC? Is it actually USB with a proprietary shaped plug or not?

The camera plug is proprietary

Is anyone aware of a team / guy / group writing a "proper" DS4 driver for PC yet? Full BT support, Sixaxis, trackpad, BT, rumble etc (I believe it's theoretically possible)

No rumblings as of yet, but give it time. Its in relatively few hands at the moment.

Does the provided headset come with a mute button?

No

What does the speaker on the DS4 do? Is that classed as yet another audio output device for the PS4 (which would then have theoretically 3, headset voice output, main HDMI speaker / game audio output and the mini controller speaker?)

Same as the Wiimote. So yes, your evisioned scenario could come to pass.

Where / when is there going to be a UI demonstration?

Doubtful beyond what has been shown, there will be one before launch. I reckon Playstation access might have a big one before the EU launch though as they are UK based and more machines will be in the wild by then

Will there be any changes to the web based PSN service (Which has slowly got better) when the PS4 launches? http://us.playstation.com/psn/signin/

Probably not at first. Resources are more likely going to be focused on the PSN app. Makes more sense to get that right first then get back working on the web store.

Is there any way to "force" the install of the games to the drive, before launching the game? How do we know the install of a game is complete? (It's been confirmed by the guy who took a PS4 home from the warehouse that Killzone was slightly slower for a while at the start while it was installing the game - and yes this guys story sounds pretty plausible, first guy to leak box pics)

Games are not installed. They are cached to the hard drive. Whether you can cached the whole game before you play is unknown.

wizzbang

Banned
Alot of things you have asked have been covered somewhere

Ill give you some answers, but im too lazy to track down sources for them.

What type of headset can be plugged into the DS4 controller (will an iphone / android headset work in stereo?) -- if it does work, can you do voice chat AND game audio through headset at the same time?

Any 3.5mm headset with the 3 bands should work. Game audio should be able to be sent to them as well.

I was under the impression the 3/4 bands are non standard - it's not all as simple as it sounds. Infact to do microphone you need 4 bands I'm sure of it, not 3.

As for the game audio, I know game audio works (thanks, sorry!) - but I'm curious if Game audio AND voice can be done, then if you do need to remain relatively quiet, you can basically game all night on your console with a single headset in, for game & voice.
Sounds potentially cool.

Has anyone yet got the camera plugged into a PC? Is it actually USB with a proprietary shaped plug or not?

The camera plug is proprietary

I know that (sorry again) - what I want to know is, is it USB just misshapen. I think the Kinect and several other "proprietary" peripherals are like that (Xbox 1 controllers) - no the REAL Xbox 1, not the Xbox One

Does the provided headset come with a mute button?

No

You sound clear on that - thanks dude, appreciate it.

What does the speaker on the DS4 do? Is that classed as yet another audio output device for the PS4 (which would then have theoretically 3, headset voice output, main HDMI speaker / game audio output and the mini controller speaker?)

Same as the Wiimote. So yes, your evisioned scenario could come to pass.

Thanks again ♥

Is there any way to "force" the install of the games to the drive, before launching the game? How do we know the install of a game is complete? (It's been confirmed by the guy who took a PS4 home from the warehouse that Killzone was slightly slower for a while at the start while it was installing the game - and yes this guys story sounds pretty plausible, first guy to leak box pics)

Games are not installed. They are cached to the hard drive. Whether you can cached the whole game before you play is unknown.
:(
This kills me, and about .... X thousand SSD owners, really want this answer.

Thanks so much for replying, there's so many questions I see browsing GAF across dozens of threads and not much solid for answers. I mean I guess I'll have most of them in 7 days but who knows, I suspect a lot of people won't check all the stuff I'm asking for cause it's somewhat obscure.

Thanks again.

I think this is the first time in gaming history where a Company is making major new game announcements hours before their new console goes on sale. Pretty exciting Sony really planned everything out this time.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember Gamescom? We were expecting major announcements then also. I'm not getting my hopes up.

tensuke

I was under the impression the 3/4 bands are non standard - it's not all as simple as it sounds. Infact to do microphone you need 4 bands I'm sure of it, not 3.

As for the game audio, I know game audio works (thanks, sorry!) - but I'm curious if Game audio AND voice can be done, then if you do need to remain relatively quiet, you can basically game all night on your console with a single headset in, for game & voice.
Sounds potentially cool.

On TRRS connectors (3 colored bands) you usually have left channel, right channel, mic, and ground (tip, ring1, ring2, sleeve), versus TRS connectors (2 colored bands) that are just left channel, right channel, and ground (tip, ring, sleeve).

Yes you can do voice chat and game audio from a 3.5mm headset at the same time--after all, a (mono) headset is included in the box to do just that!

Koyuga

Guys.

Do you realize that, AT LAUNCH, ALMOST ALL OF US will have access to:

The Playroom
Blacklight:Retribution
Warframe
Resogun, and
Contrast

WITHOUT PAYING AN EXTRA CENT?! There is so much I need to download.

This makes me not feel so bad about not being able to buy any of the launch games!

Top Bottom