• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I got one from Costco and they seemd to have quite a few of them
Yeah, I caved, walked into Costco at noon and they had 25 sitting there. How could I not buy one?? Lol. Bundled with an extra controller an a year of PS+ for $489. I might just play free games for awhile because I have several X1 games preordered.

Been skimming this thread, are there any new reports of bricked consoles? Curious if the actual retail versions (not tacobell/reviewer units) are having the same problems.

TriGen

Does anyone know how to get into account management on PS4? I don't see it. I changed my account to turn auto renew off online, but I still would like to be able to get into my account from the console.

AmyS

My system update went fine, used the USB method.

I still refuse to try PSN for anything at all until more reports start flowing in.

Been playing single player BF4, so awesome.

Dual Shock 4 is the best console controller I've ever used.

Greatness Offline Arrived ---- Greatness Online Still Awaits ????

Vizzeh

Banned
Watch out for import duty :(

I've been stung before.

Edit: ^^ Aha, all covered, good job :) I need to find out how to go into stasis for two weeks :/

Yeah, I was anxious when going through the order importing to the UK, but worked out well:
Its not all awesome until I get it, but I do feel for those in UK/EU waiting another 2 weeks, I guess I got lucky,

amazonps4shippingnow.jpg

EktorPR

Has anyone mentioned the fact that there's no online/offline friend notifications? I kind of miss those... Unless I'm missing something.

Most of these problems don't sound hardware related, and are often exposed after the 1.50 update. Maybe there is something wrong with the file system read, and more specifically, the writing?

evil ways

IKjUjIM

Just cracked it open, turned it on and so far so hood. Except I keep getting a "Cannot Download" message whenever I try to get the 1.50 update.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Just got mine and I'm having problems. =\
I turned the system on and the blue light at the top is fading on and off but I can't get a picture on the TV. Tried changing HDMI cables and slots but still nothing and the system won't turn off either. Anyone have any ideas? Starting to get worried now!

I turned the system on and the blue light at the top is fading on and off but I can't get a picture on the TV. Tried changing HDMI cables and slots but still nothing and the system won't turn off either. Anyone have any ideas? Starting to get worried now!

Check the HDMI port, see if the port is misshaped or something.

Phanservice

Neo Member
I walked into kmart. had plenty 9 total in stock and got it without a hassle. i cam ten min before store opened. one hour later i walked into sears to buy another one to sell. pretty easy to get so far. Was the shortage not as bad as people expected? Demand seems normal. very tiny lines (like4 people at kmart and 2 people at sears ahha)

Broman1978

Way better quality. And why are some of you having trouble connecting? After the 2 hours it was down last night it's worked ever since.

Sounds great! My biggest concern by far for my PS4 (EU)
Been playing on Xbox Live for 7 years now and moving over to play primary on PS4 for my multiplayer games so GOOD Party Chat was crucial for me=)

MercuryLS

Banned
IKjUjIM

Just cracked it open, turned it on and so far so hood. Except I keep getting a "Cannot Download" message whenever I try to get the 1.50 update.

Install via USB. That's what I did.

I tried to install through the system and I think it downloaded half the file and tried to update, the whole console freaked out during the reset process and I kept getting flashing snowy screen. I thought I bricked it, but eventually it rebooted normally and tried again to download the update. I stopped it and did it with USB , no issues.

Loudninja

Try this:
When I initially hooked up my PS4 it pulsed blue for a while and gave no signal. I held the power for 7 seconds to let it turn off, then turned it back on, and I got the white light but still no signal. I then reseated the HDMI cable in my receiver and it worked perfectly. It seems like the PS4 is very finicky about HDMI handshakes.

It sounds like you've tried plenty of options to diagnose that though...

edit: I have an Amazon PS4.

Smidget

Same exact problem. I had no luck getting it to work and waiting 40 minutes to talk to someone at Sony. Amazon said they could just only refund me since they had none in stock. Awesome morning.

IKjUjIM

PSN is getting hammered. Try downloading it from the Playstation website. Format a USB drive to FAT32. Create a folder named "PS4" with a folder inside named "UPDATE" and download the update file to it.

Turn off the PS4, plug in the USB, and then hold down the power button for 7 seconds, and it'll boot into safe mode.

evil ways

PSN is getting hammered. Try downloading it from the Playstation website. Format a USB drive to FAT32. Create a folder named "PS4" with a folder inside named "UPDATE" and download the update file to it.

Turn off the PS4, plug in the USB, and then hold down the power button for 7 seconds, and it'll boot into safe mode.

Will do, thanks.

Just woke up. Got my PS4 last night. Had no issues getting it hooked up. Update was downloaded and installed without a hitch. Logging into PSN was giving me trouble. Kept getting an error and then my PS4 started giving me a "cannot connect to internet" message every time.

I had to power the system completely off and back on for it to establish connection again. After about an hour, was able to log into my PSN account and started downloading all the free games.

Resogun was the first one I downloaded and jumped on it immediately. Decided to broadcast the gameplay and had a buddy check it out. It worked great but he said the quality was pretty poor, I may need to upgrade my internet connection if I plan on streaming on a regular basis.

The PS4 has left quite the impression on me. The dualshock4 feels amazing, vastly improved over the ds3. I got my hands on it at E3 but that wasn't ample time to really get a feel for it. One drawback is the lightbar on the controller. I have the newest Sony Bravia which has a very reflective screen so it sticks out like a sore thumb. I ended up playing on the floor so the light doesn't show on the screen. I hope there will be an option in the future to shut the light off if you want. I could make my own cover for the controller so it's not that big of an issue.

The UI is very slick - simple, smooth and fast. Was moving around like a pro after a minute. It doesn't look as fancy as the xbone's UI but it's functionally elegant. Looking forward to putting in ungodly hours of playtime for the next three days.

DBT85

This will sound ridiculous, but I just tried the text input via gyroscope feature and it is freaking amazing! It's really sensitive, but once I got used to it (took a few seconds) I was typing in text way faster than using the analog sticks or d pad.

All this makes me want, if it's really that good, is gyro aiming in FPS games. People thought it might not work because when it was on Vita you had the screen right there too, but if you can type that fast with it it must be accurate enough.

kyoakuma

Banned
Verdict in on whether or not USB is the 'safer' route?

I updated via the net, but i plugged mine in through an actual cat5 cable.

Runs fine. Got mine from gamestop

Downloaded a few things, turned it on and off a few times. Played two levels of Ghosts and a MP game.

fantastic/

Also so NO slow downs on MP myself.

Top Bottom