• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

ClearData

So are the ports for USB as thin as they look? I have my update primed and ready to go, and my USB isn't that think to begin with, but I am beginning to worry that it won't fit in the thing when the time comes.

Maybe I am just being a worrywart but that IGN HD Upgrade vid now has me nervous. If my USB is to big I am at the mercy of PSN for my update.

Bruno

PVJutO6.jpg

Greatness is here!

Downhome

We need a thread where people can post a reply if they have an issue, have the OP update with usernames and issues, and then update it when others update their problems.

Mine was just delivered to my office from Amazon. It's killing me not being able to play it or test it out. The Dualshock 4 is really nice. It's going to be hard to make it till 5:30...

Downloading the day one update! I've gotten systems around a month after launch, but never on the actual launch day and this is the first time I've gotten a Playstation console before it was 3 years old, this is kinda exciting!

I don't have a PS4 myself, but going through all the problems. they seem to be one of two things. 1 being a lot more common than the other.

1. HDMI Handshake/Seating issues (uncommon)
  2. HDD Writing Errors (common)

All of these PS4's are crashing at times where the HDD is being accessed for either A) caching or B) Installing. The "Red Line of Death" video shows that the guys PS4 crashes as his console is accessing the HDD. Many people are trying to install games or updates, causing the system to crash. Warframe causes a crash during install... etc.

I'd like to think that >50% of HDD's aren't faulty (that would be bad news for Sony AND the HDD company because Sony would want peoples heads) so I'm going to go with my initial statement of it being related to file system and HDD writing/caching.

Any thoughts?

ClearData

Mine was just delivered to my office from Amazon. It's killing me not being able to play it or test it out. The Dualshock 4 is really nice. It's going to be hard to make it till 5:30...

UPS is so damn slow in my area. It'll be a miracle if I get it before 6 PM. This is after attempting a pickup when an idiotic customer rep told me not to expect my system until the 18th! Amazon has the tracking as out for delivery today. Normally UPS is solid but this lady did not know what she was talking about despite working for UPS.

So are the ports for USB as thin as they look? I have my update primed and ready to go, and my USB isn't that think to begin with, but I am beginning to worry that it won't fit in the thing when the time comes.

Maybe I am just being a worrywart but that IGN HD Upgrade vid now has me nervous. If my USB is to big I am at the mercy of PSN for my update.

It should have no problem fitting.

As someone who can't yet afford a PS4, any good launch videos going on? I just kind of assumed Giant Bomb would do a big deal like I recall they did with the WiiU, but I don't see anything (unless it is subscriber only). Got any recommendations if anything is going on?

ClearData

I don't have a PS4 myself, but going through all the problems. they seem to be one of two things. 1 being a lot more common than the other.

1. HDMI Handshake/Seating issues (uncommon)
  2. HDD Writing Errors (common)

All of these PS4's are crashing at times where the HDD is being accessed for either A) caching or B) Installing. The "Red Line of Death" video shows that the guys PS4 crashes as his console is accessing the HDD. Many people are trying to install games or updates, causing the system to crash. Warframe causes a crash during install... etc.

I'd like to think that >50% of HDD's are faulty (that would be bad news for Sony AND the HDD company because Sony would want peoples heads) so I'm going to go with my initial statement of it being related to file system and HDD writing/caching.

Any thoughts?

If HDD problems are widespread that blows but it at least is mitigated by the fact that you can replace it with any drive pretty much. During November sales cheap 1 TB HDD drives flow like water.

Now if the Xbox should have HDD problems... ugh... that would be bad.

Tip for people stuck at "preparing to install" for the 1.50 update...if you are seeing this under "notifications", try backing out to the main menu and running the update from the System Settings menu. This worked flawlessly for me

If HDD problems are widespread that blows but it at least is mitigated by the fact that you can replace it with any drive pretty much. During November sales cheap 1 TB HDD drives flow like water.

Why would it be bad if the XB1 HDD has a problem? You can get connect an external HDD to the XB1.

Billen

Banned
Yeah, I was anxious when going through the order importing to the UK, but worked out well:
Its not all awesome until I get it, but I do feel for those in UK/EU waiting another 2 weeks, I guess I got lucky,

amazonps4shippingnow.jpg

Wow, I am happy for you. Here in Scandinavia, and I wont be getting a launch unit. If Amazon were to list some new units I would order a PS4 and as bunch of games right away. :D

Stronty

All this makes me want, if it's really that good, is gyro aiming in FPS games. People thought it might not work because when it was on Vita you had the screen right there too, but if you can type that fast with it it must be accurate enough.

Sounds awesome, now we just need very visible reticle choices in hi vz color options to see what we are aiming at. I imaginge gyro aiming could have a 'snap' option that will snap to the nearest target when you get close enuff.

I'm pretty sure my DS4 is broken. After a couple minutes the controller doesn't respond to inputs. I reset the controller with the pinhole button and it works for a while and stops again.

I don't think it has an HDD issue. I think it's something software/firmware related causing writes or the like to cause issues. I fixed my post to reflect that. I had the wrong semantics in my post lol.

Not quite. In fact I'm having a bit if buyers remorse.

I've bought kz, nba and Fifa. Beautiful games but kz is standard fair to me and I'm not sure buying a new console for the latter two warrants buying immediately. The UI and psn disappoint me personally. :(

Interesting, thanks for the feedback...That's what my gut tells me when watching gameplay previews...Still might buy one, knowing myself, if I see one when out shopping with the wife and kids tomorrow, I'll probably grab it...But thank you for the feedback; makes me feel better if I can fight the urge and hold off.

As someone with a high end PC, I'm not being blown away graphically. Games look good, but outside of physics/particle effects, I'm not really seeing anything I haven't seen before.

That being said, I'm loving the system. The UI, the responsiveness, and precision of the controller...I really can't fault the PS4 for much right now.

Nice, I'm a PC gamer also, and probably the reason I haven't been blown away by the gameplay vids...But that's great to hear about the UI and the controller...

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone having trouble logging into the PSN Plus section of the Store?

I wants my Rezogun!!

for me it looked like I wasn't logged in as a + member cause they still show you tons of ads for the service but actually if you highlight the "Playstation Plus" line and then hit R1 you wil get to Resogun and Contrast. It's a terrible page design.

Mik317

UPS trolling begins

;_;

also Target was a huge bust every Target in Philly only had AC4 (which a friend is getting so I'll borrow that from him) and fucking Just Dance.

Went to game stop and shanked my wallet and bought 3 games. Mario will be the last game I buy this year and probably for a few months.

Top Bottom