• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Jobbs

Banned
My brother went to Meijer this morning, who were sold out after a couple hours. They said they got 18 PS4's in, and when they opened at 6am there were only 11 people waiting in line. The remaining systems sold out over the next hour. So -- if someone really wanted one bad it wouldn't have been hard. At least not around here.

So with Warframe it froze the entire system the first time I tried installing had to Reset using the power button. After I reset it went into safe mode then I was able to update warframe and play with no issue.

And every other game seems to work great too =]

everyone please stay far, far away from this game until we are 100% sure it is not causing issues.

Grimløck;90000077 said:
Are the avatars the same as PS3's?
ya, such a joke.

Jachaos

So on the PSN Store (accessed from within the PS4) I've just found
  • PlayStation Protection Plan PS4 Accidental Damage 36 Months, 59.99$
  • PlayStation Protection Plan PS4 Non-Accidental Damage 36 Months, 49.99$
Does the former include the latter ? If I buy the 59.99$ does it also cover Non-Accidental Damage and so I don't have to buy the 49.99$ one ?

Smokey

I don't know if this is the best place to ask (due to how the thread's moving), but...how's NBA2K14? If I'd ever have the possibility of picking the platform this Holiday seasons, that's the title I'm most interested in.

I mean: I read the reviews and all, but I'd like impressions by who's playing with the actual game now.

You just missed me streaming it. I'll get back on in 30 minutes or so. It looks good. If you've played 360/ps3 versions it feels heavier. I think it's due to that foot planting technology they've implemented.

Vizzeh

Banned
Yesterday was very busy for me. They decided to move year end inventory to last night. I also had a CD release party for a friends band 1 hour away in San Francisco and the Midnight launch at Fry's to pick up my console.

Got to Fry's around 12:25am with hardly any cars in the parking lot. Went in, they told me they were doing the B2G1F deal as well, but only on certain titles. My amazon shipment was slated to arrive today, but actually arrived yesterday. The only title I was interested in that I didn't receive and was still in stock was Need for Speed (and it wasn't part of the promo). The girl suggested I buy two copies of NfS and then pick a free game "and just give the other copy of that game to a friend as a gift". They also mentioned for one day only, they dropped the price on the 2 year extended warranty from around $150 to $59. I seem to remember a few tweets from certain people suggesting that it was worth it to get the extended warranty so I went for that.

I had to put down a $100 deposit for the system and apparently they gave the system specifically held for me for someone else, so when they went to check me out the credit wasn't working, saying it had already been used. No one at the registers could remember the guy who helped bring me forward's name other than he was "the chinese guy" so no one knew who to talk to. One of the head people finally came forth and brought another piece of paperwork which made the discount work, so I paid for it. When the receipt printed out, my name was on the payment page I had to sign for, but it replaced my name with someone else on the main part of the invoice. The manager just kept saying "That really doesn't matter, the only thing they need is the invoice number." The other employee said "But if he uses the warranty, won't there be a problem with it being a different name when he brings it in?""No, no, it will be fine." So I left figuring at least if there was a problem for 2 years, I'd be covered.

Went home, set up the system, installed the update off USB drive and put the system in standby mode and set a few games to download and went to bed. This morning I was checking to see if they downloaded ok and noticed on the system I can get 3 years of "accidental damage" for $59 or 3 years of just extended warranty without accidental damage for $49. So, same price as Fry's but for 3 years instead of 2.

Should I try to cancel/refund the Fry's extended warranty? I mean, it's nice that I can go locally and just swap it but for the same price I can get 3 years instead of 2, it'd just take longer to replace if needed.

Suggestions/input? :)

Good story. Id personally keep the 2 year warranty especially given that launch could be difficult or long to get a replacement. If you can just walk into the shop and swap thats great.

I guess that final year is basically their profit :) - after 2 years worst case scenario, new PS4 of some description would be out and likely you wouldn't mind a newer model :)

Guys, so what is the consensus best launch game?

Depends on what you like, as always. If you're into big open world adventure, Assassin's Creed is your best option. If you want a shooter, you've got 3 options in Killzone, COD: Ghosts, and Battlefield 4. If you're into racers you've got NFS: Rivals. If you want a twitch old school shooter, Resogun has you covered.

MrMephistoX

Woot just got it from UPS abs the update installed! Reboot black screen freaked me out but I guess it's normal and booted fine.

Anyone know if the touch pad can be set up to control the UI? Seems like it could be cool for the keyboard and app launching.

blahness

Quick question, why is it showing my real name all over my dashboard? I made it so it would just show my PSN name but all I'm seeing is my real name.

I see the same thing. I went into party chat and it was showing my real name. I did not see any way I can prevent that or could not tell if others see my username or real name in party chat.

Loakum

Banned
Greatness has Arrived..at 12:03am

StS4df0l.jpg

Flower looks and feels fan-fucking-tastic! It's a noticeable different to my eyes and the DS4 gyro control is highly responsive - more better than Sixaxis control. I had already bought it, so it was free for me. Despite not being a new game, it's certainly a nice showcase for the hardware. I can see why Sony made the effort to port it.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm guessing I'm doing this wrong. But...how do you do updates on games? So far I've put the game in, I've let it run (it installs). Then I have to CLOSE the application. Then i reopen it and only then does it install the update/patch.

That can't be right.

JFunky

Quick question, why is it showing my real name all over my dashboard? I made it so it would just show my PSN name but all I'm seeing is my real name.
Having the same problem. If you want try sending me a message and I'll let you know how your name pops up. Hoping it just shows our real names on our own systems. My psn is same as gaf name.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Got everything setup and SSD working properly now. First order of business: downloading RESOGUN! So fast, blazing speeds, wow.

Mononoke

Banned
Checked HDMI port, everything is as it should be. Tried on three TVs, no go.

So now the question, do I set up a return through Amazon, or contact Sony?

Amazon will be quicker. Go through them. Contact them ASAP and request a replacement because of a defective product. Do it while they still have stock.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Got everything set up smoothly - only issues are PSN is still getting hammered so a lot of 'Please wait...' but that's fine, whatever.

BZIlcLqCAAE6m3k.jpg

Checked HDMI port, everything is as it should be. Tried on three TVs, no go.

So now the question, do I set up a return through Amazon, or contact Sony?

Amazon.

Why am I not surprised that you do not have the mysterious bent pin and/or metal piece. Can you post a picture of the HDMI port please. Not doubting you, I'm doubting Sony. I find it to be rather hard to believe that a bent HDMI pin and/or metal piece in the HDMI port would make it past QA. Does your HDMI cable plug all the way in?

Odrion

Banned
Okay, so the PS4 won't acknowledge my credit card, and while the PS3 supports Paypal, the PS4 doesn't.

Well, I can always use the website.

RPG

Joyous. Been sitting here for over an hour fiddling with my PS4, trying to get it to pick up on HDMI and stop glowing blue. It went white once, saw the PS logo on screen, and then black screen for 10 minutes. This sucks...

Arclight

My PS4 arrived from Amazon a little while ago, but before I opened it I noticed the clear seal on the box been broken and then taped over with blue tape with PS4 logos. Has this happened to anyone else?

Everything seems to be in order and my PS4 is up and running, but before I broke the second seal I took a close-up photo, just in case.

I just received my PS4 via Amazon - but I too noticed that the clear tape had been covered over with blue PS Logo tape....anyone know what they could have done....?

Amazon will be quicker. Go through them. Contact them ASAP and request a replacement because of a defective product. Do it while they still have stock.

Says none available for replacement. Fuck me.

Amazon.

Why am I not surprised that you do not have the mysterious bent pin and/or metal piece. Can you post a picture of the HDMI port please. Not doubting you, I'm doubting Sony. I find it to be rather hard to believe that a bent HDMI pin and/or metal piece in the HDMI port would make it past QA. Does your HDMI cable plug all the way in?

I'll try to get a good picture.

Dave_6

Guess I got lucky today. Went to Walmart at lunch to pick up my pre-ordered one. The store manager personally brought it out to me and said "Do you want to know how hard it was to get this for you?" Evidently this store, along with many others, didn't even get any in and the district manager had to go pick them all up himself and deliver them to the stores.

Hope the damn thing actually works once I get home and get it hooked up! :D

BF4, KZ, CoD, and AC4. I'm so overwhelmed, don't know where to even start. I tried them all for 15 minutes each and they're all awesome. So instead I'm just watching the GiantBomb stream while my PS4 is idling.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've found greatness.

http://distilleryimage10.ak.instagram.com/26c53e084e2711e38ce00e4d3238112a_8.jpg[IMG]

It lights up too! Vid here: [url]http://instagram.com/p/gvww4II9v5/[/url][/QUOTE]
What is it?

Top Bottom