• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

They could have booked additional server capacity/network capacity over for example Amazon cloud services only for the launch week. WouldN#t have been cost as much as bad reports about what happens now. Don't you agree?

No AWS servers on the scale your talking are incredibly expensive and it's way cheaper to shrug your shoulders and say try again later

Anyone want to swap some codes? I've got the 30 days of Plus, along with two 7 day trials that I have no need for that I'm happy to swap for the $10 code. Shoot me a PM.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yea, i'm used to HDMI being stupid (which is why I tried a capture card, it'll give me at least a read if it's getting something. But it's just getting no signal at all.

Next step after I call sony is to pull out my volt meter and start testing the pins :p

I'm curious to see if anythings making it down the cable.
Let us know what you find.

It has arrived.

ibgt9x14CnslG.gif

I just dinged +1 generation.

Briarios

To those who have theirs set up -- how loud is the fan? My system is really quiet -- I'm a little worried the slight whirring I hear is just the HDD ... and, with these reports of fans not running ...

Boke1879

They could have booked additional server capacity/network capacity over for example Amazon cloud services only for the launch week. WouldN#t have been cost as much as bad reports about what happens now. Don't you agree?

There really is no way to prepare for something like this. We literally have 100's of thousands of PS4's trying to connect at one time. Now I'm sure Sony is working to resolve this, but I think time is more the solution. Maybe late sunday going into Monday things might be a bit smoother.

Mifune

Mehmber
I kinda wish people would stop complaining about the PSN when there are people here who can't even get their console to boot up.

Tonidayo

Hey guys, i got a questions to those of you who managed to get a ps4 and to play a game or two. Considering you also game in a tiny room surrounded in somber darkness, i wanted to know your returns on the fact that the DS4 lights. I personally would think it would be very annoying to play a game late at night in the dark and have the blue DS4 light ruin the whole experience or provoke reflections on screen.

So once again what are your reactions to that, and what are you solutions if that annoyed you too, if you have found a solution, thanks

How do you tell the Vita to connect directly to the PS4 and not over your home network? I have "connect directly" checked in the PS4 menu but when I fire up the Vita app I can't tell if it's connecting directly or over the network.

Kolgar

Spent five hours with my new toy.

I'm underwhelmed.

The controller is nice, the game installs are unobtrusive, and the UI runs fast. But the overall experience seems like it could have used some more time in the oven.

I'm pretty easy to please as far as game visuals, but the graphics here seem a modest upgrade over last-gen. Sure, the frame rates are faster, but there's still texture pop and shimmer, and Killzone exhibited some of the worst aliasing I've ever seen. The big flyby leading up to your first real mission showcases a set of steps that strobe so bad with aliasing that I literally thought I was seeing a poor representation of fluorescent lights.

Battlefield 4 brought me AI friendlies who mindlessly jostled me as I peered out a window, resulting in me doing the slow, glass-floor sock slide until I was staring at a wall. And one of the walls that exploded as I ran by fell apart in huge chunks that landed with all the weight of big pieces of styrofoam.

Perhaps the technology is here, but the artists and game designers need time to catch up. These are launch games, after all.

Yes, I am sure things will get better from here. And, hey. In the meantime, there's Remote Play and Resogun!

JohngPR

I got in once and was setting up my profiles and got an error message halfway through it. It only made me want to try even more!

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

I'm underwhelmed.

Battlefield 4 brought me AI friendlies who mindlessly jostled me as I peered out a window, resulting in me doing the slow, glass-floor sock slide until I was staring at a wall. And one of the walls that exploded as I ran by fell apart in huge chunks that landed with all the weight of big pieces of styrofoam.!

That's just Battlefield 4 in general. DICE fucked that one.

Downloaded 1.5 last night. This device should be waiting for me when I get home, so how long will it take to install 1.5 off of a USB? Does AC IV require much of a patch? What about KZ?

Have a good launch day everyone, i woke up to this :/

That sucks and it's why I always go retail. Well that and a potential dud unit. I have terrible luck and would be livid if I had to wait for that kind of thing.

PS4 is pretty worthless without PSN

Yeah I discovered that last night. It works to play a game but that's about it. Almost all the other functions in the UI require you to sign in. I couldn't even watch a blu-ray.

I'm underwhelmed.

The controller is nice, the game installs are unobtrusive, and the UI runs fast. But the overall experience seems like it could have used some more time in the oven.

I'm pretty easy to please as far as game visuals, but the graphics here seem a modest upgrade over last-gen. Sure, the frame rates are faster, but there's still texture pop and shimmer, and Killzone exhibited some of the worst aliasing I've ever seen. The big flyby leading up to your first real mission showcases a set of steps that strobe so bad with aliasing that I literally thought I was seeing a poor representation of fluorescent lights.

Battlefield 4 brought me AI friendlies who mindlessly jostled me as I peered out a window, resulting in me doing the slow, glass-floor sock slide until I was staring at a wall. And one of the walls that exploded as I ran by fell apart in huge chunks that landed with all the weight of big pieces of styrofoam.

Perhaps the technology is here, but the artists and game designers need time to catch up. These are launch games, after all.

Yes, I am sure things will get better from here. And, hey. In the meantime, there's Remote Play and Resogun!

You're comparing a finely aged wine to a new batch of wine, yet to be bottled.

Erekiddo

The launch day promo of getting $10 when you sign up for PS+.. Does that have to be done from the PS4 itself? Because I've had this thing since noon, unable to log in.

SRTtoZ

Just for giggles as I was arranging my entertainment center, I put the PS4 no its side (without a stand) and noticed that its VERY sturdy. It doesn't wobble or anything...

Patryn

Well... when I do get a response from logging in, I get the Sony Entertainment Network is down for maintenance (NP-35000-8).

Well... when I do get a response from logging in, I get the Sony Entertainment Network is down for maintenance (NP-35000-8).

I've had "An Error has Occurred" and "The Sign On Has Timed Out" as well as "The network connection has been lost" (personal fav)

Try to catch them all

Lemonz

Don't wait. Either back out and retry if possible, or restart the console (nothing bad happens). Keep retrying. Don't wait longer than like a minute.
Thanks for the info. I've turned it off, unplugged it for 16 seconds, turned it back on. I was able to get through, but now, I'm getting "ongoing maintenance".

I really can't do anything or play any games until Sony gets it's servers fixed.

My system is working great so far.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel you man. Work til 630 with the ps4 waiting at home. Crying for me to play it. What games did you get?

What really sucks, is that we were supposed to have had this game finished and submitted about two weeks ago, but it got pushed back for more polish(mobile game development at Beeline/Capcom). So now we have to come in PS4 weekend. I had this whole thing planned out, and now it's scrapped!

I'm hoping we don't have to stay until 9. If we get off a little earlier than that, I can get home with enough time to go grocery shopping with my wife, set up the PS4, and play some stuff.

I got:

Killzone
Assassin's Creed IV
Battlefield 4 (not really interested in this one, but it was the only other game worth a damn left at Target for their Buy 2, Get 1 deal).

I'm going to download LEGO Marvel, since I can't find it anywhere near me in Los Angeles, and I'm getting the PS+ freebies.

I might also snag Trine 2, and games I already own on PS3/Vita like Sound Shapes and Flower.

updated to 1.5 no problems, tried to connect to PSN it said PSN is under maintenance, tried again and it says please wait, should a wait or force it back?

Top Bottom