• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

kaskade

Also my update started downloading I had it ready on my USB but it was pretty much done so I let it finish. I didn't even get a chance to figure out how to do it anyway.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This controller lives up got the hype. It's the best controller I've ever used, and I was a fan of the 360 controller.

Glad to hear it, I might pick one up before I get a PS4 in March.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How quiet are your consoles? I can't really hear anything, just slight noise, but that might be the HDD? Can you hear your fan clearly?0

I would say it is louder than my launch PS3 but quieter than the Super Slim and WAY quieter than my launch 360. Probably just a titch quieter than my non-slim 360 playing an installed game.

Install design for games seem to be all over the place. NBA2k14 offers you what is basically a demo until the game is fully installed. Killzine lets you jumpin to the single player relatively fast while it installs in the bbackground. Same with BF4. I was able to do pretty much everything in COD fairly quickly. I think Need for Speeds tutorial is so long that you don't notice the install.

Resogun had to download everytgibg before it would run for me while Contrast allowed installation after a small percentage was downloaded.

It's an interesting new feature of current gen abd I'm curious to see how it evolves over time.

I think designers will start designing for it. Short tutorial level and/or marginally interactive video sequence. Not sure what sports games and such will do.

Rocky

Banned
Got home from work and got my PS4 from the front desk. Hooked it up immediately to be sure there were no issues like I've been reading about. Got scared at first because after hitting what I thought was the power button, all I heard was three beeps. Realized I was pushing the eject button, I couldn't see any marking for buttons on the front lol. Update is installing right now.

DS4 feels awesome. There's a little more weight to it than previous dual shocks. I like it.

Update just finished installing, added my PSN login but PSN down for maintenance. Bleh. Guess I'll just keep trying. ;P

BadAss2961

My Killzone download randomly drops connection every 20 minutes or so, and I have to start it back up again manually. Downloads really, really need auto-retry -- the system should try again by itself every couple minutes or so if the user isn't there to fix it.

Now i'll have to babysit the download.
This controller lives up got the hype. It's the best controller I've ever used, and I was a fan of the 360 controller.

Very true.

First few impressions from setting this up:

Controller isn't as great as I hoped, doesn't live up to the hype. Feels awkward and still rather small for my hands. Maybe I'm just too used to the Xbox controller, gonna give it some more time but as of now, it's still a controller. Doesn't feel as natural as the Xbox 360.

System isn't as beautiful as I hoped it was, looked more flattering in the pictures. Not ugly, but doesn't look gorgeous.

PSN download speeds are still really slow it seems, downloading the system update. 300 MBs anywhere else is like 5 minutes at most, on the PS4 it's 30 minutes. Hope it's just because the servers are packed.

Only bought Ghost along with it, and have an hour and a half before work, hopefully I'll get in some more impressions before then.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I can't seem to download the system update via wifi. Keeps dying out about 1/3rd the way through with this error: "Cannot connect to the server within the time limit. (NW-31200-6).

Gonna do it the USB way (which downloaded fine :/)

JohngPR

I was able to log in again but after you select your options it initializes again and it threw up an error message. Might not be worth trying over and over right now since essentially you have to get lucky and connect twice to be "in".

BadAss2961

PSN download speeds are still really slow it seems, downloading the system update. 300 MBs anywhere else is like 5 minutes at most, on the PS4 it's 30 minutes. Hope it's just because the servers are packed.
Downloading from the store is way faster than that update. Whatever's serving that 300MB is getting hammered.

EvB

How does everyones optical drive sound? mine makes a horrible grinding anytime I put in a disc.

Do your discs look like this?
If so, then I think I know the problem

ConicalSandingDiscs_l.jpg

Is anyone else having problems adding a second account to your PS4?

I added my account, as the master account, last night when I got my PS4 home but I've been trying to add my brother's account all day today and I either get an infinite loading screen, a network error, or a general error.

Is the PSN just overloaded right now (I wouldn't think so because I can still log in to my account)?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would say it is louder than my launch PS3 but quieter than the Super Slim and WAY quieter than my launch 360. Probably just a titch quieter than my non-slim 360 playing an installed game.
Mine seems quite a bit louder than my non-Slim 360 was with installed games. I'm not sure if KZ is done installing yet, though.

Cess007

I'm was kinda expecting to PSN to have problems today with connecting issues an all, but i was hoping it was already sorted by this time now. I've just came home with my PS4 and well, now i gotta wait to play KZ online.

Oh well, may as well play a little big offline to get used to the controls.

SRTtoZ

Yea the controller absolutely lives up to the hype. As a huge fan of the PS3, but a fan of the 360 controller, its a good feeling to have the best of both worlds now. Its really almost *perfect*.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All right, ran my system for 4 hours, played some games, did some streaming and added some friends. No issues at all really, even PSN is downloading pretty fast for me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
First few impressions from setting this up:

Controller isn't as great as I hoped, doesn't live up to the hype. Feels awkward and still rather small for my hands. Maybe I'm just too used to the Xbox controller, gonna give it some more time but as of now, it's still a controller. Doesn't feel as natural as the Xbox 360.

System isn't as beautiful as I hoped it was, looked more flattering in the pictures. Not ugly, but doesn't look gorgeous.

Only bought Ghost along with it, and have an hour and a half before work, hopefully I'll get in some more impressions before then.

You are like bizarro me.

Pixels

Wait, how do I get the PSN free $10 for signing up with PS+ day one? I put in all the codes but I don't see the free $10.

If anyone is having problems with the PS Store not recognizing new Plus memberships, use the PlayStation App for iOS or Android. The app is recognizing Plus memberships and you can purchase free Plus titles from the app to add them to the PS4 download queue. Just did this with Resogun and it works.

Yea the controller absolutely lives up to the hype. As a huge fan of the PS3, but a fan of the 360 controller, its a good feeling to have the best of both worlds now. Its really almost *perfect*.

Same, got the comfort of the 360 controller and good triggers or whatever, but with a decet dpad, I really like it.

Mindlog

I can't seem to download the system update via wifi. Keeps dying out about 1/3rd the way through with this error: "Cannot connect to the server within the time limit. (NW-31200-6).

Gonna do it the USB way (which downloaded fine :/)
I had the update downloaded already so I went the USB route. Quick and painless. Highly recommend.

Looks like I'll be buying a controller cradle. Will be looking around for feedback on the units that are available. If anyone has impression then please post.

SRTtoZ

Guys, if PSN is down how come people are still playing online?

I'm on PSN right now. About an hour ago when I signed on I couldnt get on, so I started playing NBA2k14 and after a game, I came out and it automatically logged me in. Right now I can see all my online friends, most playing PS4 games and I can fully access the PS Store.

DTSAirmaN

Banned
Does anyone understand how the SHARE feature/button actually works? I finished a game of Killzone and wanted to upload a video... but it did not actually save any of the video from the previous hour of play...

It seems like if you push the share button once, you get a screenshot (Is that correct?)

I don't understand the video portion at all...

Reule

Yeah, this is my last console launch. Should've expected it but it's a lot nicer getting a new console and just enjoying everything it has to offer out of the box. I'm not down on the PS4 at all, it's awesome. Just feel like I could've had a better time if I had waited till early next year. Here's hoping everything clears up before the end of the weekend!

Top Bottom