• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

diggler41

After putting up for butt-ugly console designs for years I must say the PS4 really is a thing of beauty.

fo62OGK.jpg

Oooo That PS4 goes with that setup nicely.

Grinchy

Banned
After putting up for butt-ugly console designs for years I must say the PS4 really is a thing of beauty.

fo62OGK.jpg

It seriously is. It looks much better in person than in pictures. I always liked the design of my phat PS3, but now it looks like shit in my nice TV stand underneath the PS4.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Netflix is soooo much better on the PS4 compared to the PS3. Not only is the UI smoother, but on the PS3 it would take a few minutes for the movie to switch over to 1080p whereas on the PS4 it's instantaneous.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay, got my PS4, did the 1.5 update via USB, tried to sign in (yeah, I know PSN is down... so I'm waiting)

Question though

Noticed my PS4 makes a noise when I turn it on. Not the optical drive spinning up, I hear that too. But another noise. Maybe the hard drive? It's like a click noise. What sort of noises are you guys hearing when you turn yours on?

Note I keep my PS4 very near me when I use it, I know most people probably sit like 10 feet away on the couch or something. Mine is like 2 feet away so I notice sounds more probably.

Phreak47

Yep... can't even pair my Vita without signing into PSN. Can't do a whole lot. I guess I'll pop in AC4. I wasn't planning on doing that right away.

Raven77

Quick question, the box shows a PS3 and says you can stream PS3 games to your Vita.

Is this implemented yet??? Thought it was delayed to next year.

Why do I need to log in to use the web browser? LOL! The fact that I can't register my Vita without PSN is the most annoying part of all..guess I'll have to hope things are running another after the weekend.

Does anyone understand how the SHARE feature/button actually works? I finished a game of Killzone and wanted to upload a video... but it did not actually save any of the video from the previous hour of play...

It seems like if you push the share button once, you get a screenshot (Is that correct?)

I don't understand the video portion at all...

I don't understand the video either... The guide says when you press share it will take a screen shot and have the last 15 minutes of gameplay available for video, but I don't see the video anywhere. My last 15 min clip is from 4 hours ago... Anyone have any ideas?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Argh. I just totally sleepwalked into buying the PS4. I preordered on a whim. Launch day comes and I can't help but pick it up... Just to be a part of it, or eBay it, or whatever.

Now I'm on the SkyTrain on the way home and I just know I'm going to tear the box open when I get home. At least I can still return it to the store until January 7 (which I probably won't :p)

Muddimar

When I transfer my PSN to PS4, will my purchased ps1 & ps2 games transfer as well with the account? Or will I have to repurchase those as well?

Anival

Banned
Launch night wasn't as bad as I thought it would be everything downloaded fine even with my crappy internet. The only thing I hated was trying to figure out where the download list was lol.

Impressions: The controller is fantastic. Even coming from the 360 (although I have owned every Playstation)

I am a little disappointed in the OS. Everything is still so manual. Trophies need to sync, installs are not automatic. It really is just a cleaned up version of the PS3 OS plus sharing.

fo62OGK.jpg

Yeah it really is, I was shocked at how small the console's packaging was and then I took the PS4 out and was really taken back by how small it is. Fantastic design imo, it blends in but has enough to stick out. I haven't liked a design this much since the Dreamcast

Requiem

Okay, got my PS4, did the 1.5 update via USB, tried to sign in (yeah, I know PSN is down... so I'm waiting)

Question though

Noticed my PS4 makes a noise when I turn it on. Not the optical drive spinning up, I hear that too. But another noise. Maybe the hard drive? It's like a click noise. What sort of noises are you guys hearing when you turn yours on?

Note I keep my PS4 very near me when I use it, I know most people probably sit like 10 feet away on the couch or something. Mine is like 2 feet away so I notice sounds more probably.

I get the same noise on mine. I don't know what it is for sure but I'm thinking it's the power supply turning on/off

coldfoot

Banned
PSN failure is embarassing and does not bode well for the future of PS4. I bet there won't be any XBL outages when Xbone launches

Alucrid

Banned
I should have a ps4 in my hands in the next half hour. How bad is it? I, at most, want to get my psn profile, system patch and resogun

I should have a ps4 in my hands in the next half hour. How bad is it? I, at most, want to get my psn profile, system patch and resogun

Good luck ;( I've been trying to simply sign into my PSN profile for the last 90 minutes and haven't been able to do that.

Patched with USB though.

AmyS

I probably won't contemplate PSN until mid-January.

I very much do not want to take that chance of messing up this PS4, which I'm very happy with so far. Got mine from a GS in far northern Chicagoland (Lake County, IL).

I actually never thought much about pre-ordering either new console even though what is now last-gen lasted 7-8 years and will still probably go on for another 2-3 years or so.

I also didn't even know until yesterday morning that, just for the heck of it, I would try to get a PS4 day one. I guess I got lucky twice-- Got the console--Got a unit that seems to be doing fine so far.

Really love the DS4 as well as the UI.

The only thing I regret is not really making much of an effort to get Need For Speed Rivals. My GS was sold out so I figured, ahhh I'll just get the physical copy somewhere else or even maybe the digital release on PSN.

So I ended up getting just BF4 and Killzone: Shadow Fall. My first KZ game BTW.

Yeah, two FPS games.

This would be the fourth time I've bought a console at launch: SNES, PS1, Dreamcast, Wii and now PS4. I waited until 2009 to get a 360 and 2011 to get a PS3.

Alucrid

Banned
Good luck ;( I've been trying to simply sign into my PSN profile for the last 90 minutes and haven't been able to do that.

Patched with USB though.
Damn. I have the patch on a usb drive just in case. Not having my profile will suck, even though I have boxed copies of games.

Top Bottom