• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Journal entry #265

-- Still no UPS man. I question my sanity, as I have begun flinching towards the front door upon hearing anything resembling a large vehicle passing by. My time might be near, but the unknowing leaves me with a feeling of unease I have to this point never truly known. I remain vigilant .

Overall, I gotta say Sony did a great job with the PS4, as far as system and controller are concerned, anyway. The controller is hands-down the best Sony has ever designed with it feeling almost directly evolved from the original Dual Analog controller that preceded the Dual Shock 1. The longer handles and the nicer triggers go a long way toward getting someone who prefers the XBOX pad design into Sony's side of things....still prefer the asymmetrical analog placement of MS' preference, though. Generally positive about the system OS, though it feels a little too inspired by the last major Playstation Store design and worked backward through to the XMB. Still, better by miles than what was before. Thankfully the installations are automatic, but the affect it has on other things running or downloading seems similar to the clunkiness of PS3. Streams seem horribly limited in resolution/framerate so far, but the fact that it feels fairly seamless to broadcast is a great thing indeed. Sadly, it's just going to be my Resogun machine for the time being as the rest of the day-one launch software really doesn't do much to blow my skirt up. Good job, Sony. Get with the software now.

Alucrid

Banned
Sure thing, the reason PSN can't easily or quickly catch up to XBL is the same reason Apple couldn't catch up to Google Maps. It takes time and lots of money to build a network, Most of PS3's lifetime Sony invested as little as possible on PSN, whereas XBL has always been the center for Xbox. I don't like the Xbone or MS paywall, but it is what it is. MS has massively overbuilt capacity on their Azure network.

Also, lower quantities of Xbone produced and sold will make it easier.
Didn't call of duty bring down xbl in the past?

diggler41

Journal entry #265

-- Still no UPS man. I question my sanity, as I have begun flinching towards the front door upon hearing anything resembling a large vehicle passing by. My time might be near, but the unknowing leaves me with a feeling of unease I have to this point never truly known. I remain vigilant .

lol Same here brother.

Thank goodness I saw this thread, I thought I was going crazy with my PSN login just spinning and spinning...

It was like watching MS PR :/

I kid, somewhat

Having to install games even though it's a disc is fucking annoying, overall I've enjoyed my time with the system. There are problems I have but I see them getting resolved.

Dang wrong thing I forgot and I had this problem last niggt but eventually found it and it was in a dumb spot.
Im looking everywhere man. So the download list does exist for sure, ya?

2 strange things. Killzone wont let me upload screenshots and I cant seem to delete Playroom. Wonder how much space it takes up?

Edit. Its 564mb

mazillion

The whole OS feels so next gen. It's really fast and multitasking is great with it. I love that things like downloads and installations aren't a hindrance now, they just go on their own. I actually suspended BF4 (in the middle of an online game) opened the PS Store and downloaded resogun and then instantly went back in my online game. Everything was so fast.

Why couldn't they just put res0gun as a free pack in game, so I could be playing it right now instead of staring at this Please Wait... message, pissed off

So with PSN down and no disc-based games, is there anything I can do at the moment other than meditate to the soothing sounds of the menu music? I think they knew this would happen, hence why it's so relaxing.

coldfoot

Banned
Besides the infinite please wait cycle I've gotten a bunch of different error codes:
from SNE is currently undergoing maintenance (NP-35000-8) to connection reset to unknown error.

This doesn't apply to firmware update, as that's most likely a different server, by the time I set up the sound/video settings the fw was ready to install.

No Love

Banned
PSN gives me no error message. Trying to sign into my account (first time) and it just says 'Please wait...' Dang. Why the hell do all these major publishers/companies have so much trouble getting servers up to handle launch day load of popular products?

Razma1

PS4 arrives tomorrow but I have to go away for the weekend for my sisters birthday nooooooooooooooo.

My PSN is Razmatazz if anyone wants to game when I get back I resubbed to gamefly and am gonna bring in Killzone and whatever else is available.

Anival

Banned
Im looking everywhere man. So the download list does exist for sure, ya?

2 strange things. Killzone wont let me upload screenshots and I cant seem to delete Playroom. Wonder how much space it takes up?
Yes there is an actual download list, I was trying to figure out how to cancel an upload and eventually found it. There was a list for downloads/uploads. I wish I can help I'm at work sorry. I did find one though.

Sorry if it's been answered already, but anyone having problems redeeming stuff? A buddy of mine can't even buy a one year of PSN+ because his credit card (which is good) is supposedly not right. Plus he tried redeeming his 30 days free with PSN+ that came with the box and says it's not valid. (mine too says the same thing)

Shoulda seen this PSN clusterfuck coming, it's still unacceptable though. Likely to get worse as more people get their consoles and log on tonight. Sony needs to roll out its TOP MEN stat.

EvB

Sorry if it's been answered already, but anyone having problems redeeming stuff? A buddy of mine can't even buy a one year of PSN+ because his credit card (which is good) is supposedly not right. Plus he tried redeeming his 30 days free with PSN+ that came with the box and says it's not valid. (mine too says the same thing)

The servers are being killed. Try it another time

Jeels

How do you get the touch screen functionality in Playroom to work (I mean the second screen stuff where your drawings show up in the game)?

Got mine fired up and it works great so far! Big sigh of relief!

I have the 1.5 firmware update on my USB but it won't recognize my USB. Small issue though, I'll get it worked out.

So excited!

Top Bottom