• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

SRTtoZ

I had to use my cell to take the screenshots because PSN is acting a fool right now, but you get the idea:

KgVQ4Sp.jpg

oTRqaOw.jpg

Hawk269

What are some of you averaging on battery life of the controller? I started gaming at 10am this morning with a fully charged controller and at around 3pm I was down to 1 bar. Is this about normal?

Outside of that and the issues with PSN, so very happy with my PS4. NBA 2K14 is very good. BTW...Don't pass up on Knack, it is a very good game, but should be played on Hard or you will just blow right through it.

Another question, if I plug the controller into my laptop while using to play the PS4, will it charge the controller as I play? I keep my laptop next to the sofa, but the PS4 is about 7' away and that cable is way too short, so wanted to plug the usb cable into the laptop, but not sure if it is charging or if it will charge being plugged into a laptop while still being used to play on the PS4.

Pop

I had the spinning Please Wait for at least 30 mins a little after midnight. All I did was turn off my console, turn it back on and it worked fine. I was able to get into the dash and connect immediately.

Gotta say I'm really loving the Ps4 design. So fast and sleek. Streaming is really what's caught my attention early on. The ability to watch or stream lightning fast is incredible to me. Also, PSN downloads have been fast for me. My friend downloaded all f2p/ps+ titles in a matter of hours this morning(minus DCUO). That one takes forever or did on the Ps3.

Edit: I got about 8 hours of battery life before I was worried it was going to die on that one bar.

So trying to update to 1.5, the system rebooted, installed the software, then on its reboot it got hung on a black screen with the light pulsing blue. I let it sit for 15 minutes, and nothing happened. Then, I unplugged the system (the power button wouldn't do anything, even after holding it for a while) and it booted into Safe Mode. I chose to restart the PS4, it restarted into Safe Mode, then restarted itself again automatically, and then logged into the PS4. It's showing 1.5 installed, but it displays an error notification that 1.5 couldn't be installed. So, I restarted the system again, and it restarted just fine, but it still shows a notification that 1.5 couldn't be installed... despite the system saying that it is running 1.5.

It seems to be working correctly now, but who knows!

Sorry if it's been answered already, but anyone having problems redeeming stuff? A buddy of mine can't even buy a one year of PSN+ because his credit card (which is good) is supposedly not right. Plus he tried redeeming his 30 days free with PSN+ that came with the box and says it's not valid. (mine too says the same thing)
Make sure to enter billing address EXACTLY like it is on your card statement.

So I got the firmware installed via USB, and everything seems golden - except the setup process didn't have me setup an account, or do the Facebook linking, or even ask me for my PSN info. After doing the basic setup (set the time, network info) it dumped me to the desktop.

Did I miss something? or is this just because PSN is down? What happens if I play Killzone and get several achievements? Will they sync up with PSN when I finally can add my account or are they lost? Hmmmm.

Moofers

20 minutes into Killzone and I have to say I'm pretty floored. Great opening sequence establishing story, visually stunning, so far its a total winner.

Also messed around with The Playroom. More charming than I had imagined.

Just need PSN back up now so I can get CoD Ghosts upgraded, and the rest of my stuff!

Almighty

Well played around with it for about four hours and I am happy. So far(knock on wood) none of the problems people were talking about has effected me. Well minus PSN being down, but that was expected by me at least. I was able to get Resogun and Contrast so that was all i really wanted PSN for and Black Flag and Killzone arrived via Gamefly so i am set for some weekend gaming.

coldfoot

Banned
Google Play Store or the iTunes store doesn't go down when new hardware is launched, just saying. And iPhones sell a shit ton more than consoles.

Sorry, PSN is a second tier network compared to the big boys.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hopefully these issues are cleared up by the EU launch. Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying your consoles despite the problems. Can't wait.

Got mine fired up and it works great so far! Big sigh of relief!

I have the 1.5 firmware update on my USB but it won't recognize my USB. Small issue though, I'll get it worked out.

So excited!

Just an update, tried another USB stick and it worked.

PS updated to 1.5 successfully!

I really feel bad for the people stuck with bricks. I've had that happen to me in the past. Keep your heads up guys and gals!

What do you mean "it's not like you need to"?

My internet is pretty bad and being used by 3 other people. Bandwidth is a major issue.

this. I always pause downloads cause my bro uses the internet in my home and there's no point in taking up bandwidth and making both of us slow.

kinda a bummer if you can't pause downloads

Can someone help me here . Whenevrt i quit a game instead of resume starting from the last checkpoint it begins at teh start of the level . Happened in both bf4 and killzone

Nymphae

Banned
Installing 1.5 right now, so excited!

I have never seen a unit or touched a controller until just now, and god DAMN. Everyone was right about the DS4, friggin' unbelievable how good it feels.

Most psn issues are mainly during the initial setup, it seems. Once you get past that, things improve considerably. Maybe there are specific servers used for that as opposed to normal psn use.

kurahadol

I've been connected and downloading since this afternoon with no issues (thankfully). Played some Resogun, Killzone, and Battlefield, goddam I love this machine so far.

Got everything going except I can not login to my PlayStation account. I also had trouble with the console pushing past the DS4 screen initially. I don't understand why I can't log in I'm ready to rock some kzsf.

Top Bottom