• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Juice

I've managed to sign in a few times, but it never makes it all the way through the setup process without dumping me out and making me start over.

Hook up a keyboard, kids... you might be entering your credentials many times before this clears up.

Didn't realize keyboards worked.

Venturer

Guys if your PS4 is faulty phone your local Sony store not the helpline for the ps4 specifically if you want to get it replaced or repaired quicker. Get your local sony store number then use Option 4 - Other enquiries to speak to the store. They can either replace it if they have stock there and then, if not they can take it in for repair.

Information was received while listening to Hi11zone on twitch, I heard him live speaking to his local Denver Sony store over Skype and he was told if your PS4 is faulty you can go to your closest Sony store with a tech department.

Edit: He's driving there now, they said they'd replace it

(Regardless of where you bought it, as long as you have proof of purchase.)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Disappointing that they somehow handle GTA or CoD launches on 80 million PS3's, but crash under a few hundred thousand PS4's.

Maybe the PS4 PSN isn't the same as the PS3 PSN as in they are rebuilding the entire server network. In that case it isn't crazy they are experiencing problems, but in the long run it will probably be a better service I hope.

CaptPete

Neo Member
Well mine showed up early this morning from Amazon. I had to go home this afternoon to meet an applicance repair guy (our new dishwasher died) and so had some time to set it up and play around with it. Some impressions:

- The controller is really nice and feels very comfortable.
- Why the F&!*&K are the (only 2!?!) USB ports stuck so far back on the front? I downloaded the firmware update last night, but the USB stick I put it on is too fat to actually fit.
- Thankfully the firmware update downloaed without any real drama and installed quickly enough.
- The UI seems nice enough and is responsive.
- I can't really say much more than that, since I spent the rest of the time waiting for PSN to connect and finally had to pull out the PS4 and hook the PS3 back up so that the family can watch Netflix while I headed back to work.
- the underside of the PS4 was toasty when I pulled it out my entertailment system. I'm going to have to add some feet to it to try and get some airflow underneath it.

Also, did anyone that pre-ordered from Amazon get a mail about the `buy a PS4 and 1 year of PSN and get a $10 PSN bucks' promo? Amazon was listed as a participating retailer this morning, but I haven't heard anything from them. Since they're no longer listed as being a participating retailer though my guess is that they decided not to?

Got mine today and everything is working with the exception of signing into PSN. I was able to play a little bit of the Killzone story, but I'm waiting to play again until I connect. I figure I'll wait a few hours and see if I can get through then.

Seda

Setting up my console currently, no hardware or display issues but I can't log in. Guess I'll try again later and settle for last-generation games for another night.

AdamMPSP

Oh man, PSN has let me start to setup my profile twice, but then kicks me out at the very end. So sucky. Any advice besides just keep doing it?

TheRefresher

Neo Member
I continue to be excited about the prospects of the PS4, but if Sony wants to keep online multiplayer behind a pay wall like XBL they need to step up their game with respect to PSN. Sony will have a lot to answer for if PSN does not improve this generation.

Mine just arrived, I've unboxed it but haven't hooked it up yet.

Controller feels perfect. And this is coming from someone who has never liked Sony controllers, from the original PlayStation's all the way to the DualShock 3. Since I expect the PS4 will be my primary console this gen, I'm happy/relieved they've fixed everything I hated about past versions.

Bizazedo

It downloaded the update 7 times, failed each time. I let it keep trying and hit my HDMI switcher to play with the 360, checking back every few times.

PS4 understood the unsaid threat and succeeded on the 8th time to install the update.

Grinchy

Banned
Was it Lucas dad

Yep, that asshole. I hope he learns his lesson for yelling at me.

Playing killzone disc version, any else's fans like...small vacuum loud ? Lol just wondering if I should be worried

I have been playing for about 45 mins and I can't even hear my PS4. Though, my PC is in the same room and I'm sitting at it, so that could be why. PS4 definitely not loud though.

AdamMPSP

Does anyone know if I ignore PSN right now, and then set it up later, if I'll lose any trophies I earned, because it wasn't linked to my PSN yet?

It downloaded the update 7 times, failed each time. I let it keep trying and hit my HDMI switcher to play with the 360, checking back every few times.

PS4 understood the unsaid threat and succeeded on the 8th time to install the update.

The update downloaded immediately and really fast for me (I almost thought too fast lol). It's just luck when you hit it with everyone trying to get it at once right now I imagine.

x-Lundz-x

Call me crazy but as of the last 10 mins I still can't get in but I notice my circle spinning slower like it's trying to communicate.

In other news I'm an expert at entering my password now,

Call me crazy but as of the last 10 mins I still can't get in but I notice my circle spinning slower like it's trying to communicate.

In other news I'm an expert at entering my password now,

I get to where the circle back button goes away now, like it's getting further in.

Downhome

Well I got it home, set it up, updated and installed the update in just a couple minutes, but I can't for the life of me sign into PSN. Ugh!

Darksol

Does anyone know if I ignore PSN right now, and then set it up later, if I'll lose any trophies I earned, because it wasn't linked to my PSN yet?

You'll keep them. I earned several trophies in Knack before I got my PSN profile up and running. Still got the trophies.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Got my PS4. Hooked up. Downloaded firmware. And... PSN is down. Facepalm.gif

So quick Q. Is there a way to save my PSN identity login info I don't have to friggin' re-enter ALL the details everything every time I want to try to see if PSN is up?

Another Q. If I play a game *without* being logged in to PSN with my account will my progress/trophies eventually carry over when I eventually AM allowed to log in, or will I have to do it all again?

Knack is completely meh so far btw. Truly boring, last-gen regurgitated mix of God of War & Ratchet & Clank (with Sonic's double dash attack and Batman:AA's slowdown finishing hit). Has their been a launch platform mascot this fugly in recent memory?

Brashnir

And it happened again. Got in and it wouldn't save my profile. "An error occurred when communicating to the server." Back to not being able to log in at all.

I should have put this piece of shit on ebay.

Top Bottom