• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Aerogamer

Neo Member
How did you get a deal?

I didn't do square trade for the ps4, I did have it on a Galaxy Note tablet and they replaced that promptly. They also have coupons from time to time and a 3 year warranty on PS4 is $53.99 and can be brought down by coupons. I just wanted to let people who wanted a warranty after purchase know they can still get one aside from Sony as long as it is within 30 days from purchase They also return the unit fixed or replaced with a week and a half.
As for the deal I got it was because of my credit card.

The_Afroman

If you use a USB key for the PS4 don't use this.. I needed needle nose pliers to get this out..

2f2oDsu.png

Jharp

Holy shit, I can already hear my fans whirring pretty fucking loudly.

I've been playing KZ Shadow Fall's campaign for like thirty minutes. Seriously, I haven't even gotten to proper gameplay yet. I'm right past the
prisoner exchange where the ISA dude gets sniped, and the rocket blows up the Helghast
and my fans are already going at it. The damn thing's been on for maybe an hour!

Looks like heat issues will once again be an ever present aspect of the new generation. Fucking whoopee.

For comparison, I've heard my PS3 Slim's fans once in the two years I've had it, and that was after very extended play. The PC I built last year has been silent ever since, through Crysis 3, and everything else I've thrown at it.

God fucking dammit.

My PS4 has been running as smooth as butter so far. I was not able to download the system update 1.5 when it prompted me to after accessing the Playstation Network. For now, I'll chalk it up to PSN getting hammered and instead spend time with my copy of NBA2K14.

Did anyone else really enjoy the little Dualshock tutorial? I was grinning ear to ear. I thought it was really fun.

molnizzle

I've been playing KZ Shadow Fall's campaign for like thirty minutes. Seriously, I haven't even gotten to proper gameplay yet. I'm right past the
prisoner exchange where the ISA dude gets sniped, and the rocket blows up the Helghast
and my fans are already going at it. The damn thing's been on for maybe an hour!

Looks like heat issues will once again be an ever present aspect of the new generation. Fucking whoopee.

For comparison, I've heard my PS3 Slim's fans once in the two years I've had it, and that was after very extended play. The PC I built last year has been silent ever since, through Crysis 3, and everything else I've thrown at it.

God fucking dammit.

Yeah, I was shocked at how loud the PS4 gets. It's louder than the goddamn Wii U optical drive. No bullshit. It's easily the loudest console currently on the market. Extremely disappointing. Good thing you can plug headphones into the controller, I guess.

kenjisalk

So my wife and I are trying to play through Lego Marvel, and she has her PSN account logged into controller two. For some reason, though, only I'm earning trophies.

Is there something I'm missing, or is only the first player going to earn them when couch co-oping?

People who updated via USB:

did you boot it up first with no internet, shut it down and then boot into safe mode to install or did you just boot it up into safe mode for its first boot and install it ASAP?

So i thought the PS4 was able to store your game state in memory after going to standby. Is this not true? Is that only when the console is on? Just tried it with killzone and my whole console had to basically restart to a degree.
That was a feature that ddnt make it in 1.5. They said it would come after launch.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah, I was shocked at how loud the PS4 gets. It's louder than the goddamn Wii U optical drive. No bullshit. It's easily the loudest console currently on the market. Extremely disappointing. Good thing you can plug headphones into the controller, I guess.

It comes down to the surrounding air environment i guess. Mine hasnt gotten too loud. I have good ventilation on it and my room temp is around 76 F. At least be glad the fans are working to make sure shit dont explode.

Joeki11a

Banned
Does Killzone graphics look better on Campaign?, online looks very flat in textures

but very sharp 60fps feel its in full effect,

FOV is not that great though, they need to patch that

Finally signed in to PSN. Then I realized I have no friends on PSN...lol (all on 360). My UI is so empty. So far I only have Killzone but feel free to add me out of pity: Ferrolla33.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I figured installation screens would be gone, but I've stared at quite a few already. Is it just with the disc games that you can play while it installs?

DoomGyver

People who updated via USB:

did you boot it up first with no internet, shut it down and then boot into safe mode to install or did you just boot it up into safe mode for its first boot and install it ASAP?

I had internet hooked up, USB plugged in, held down power button for 10 seconds entered safe mode and then updated via USB. Went smoothly.

That was the first time I ever turned it on.

People are going to have to get over the PS4 loudness. It's a 6X Blu Ray drive this time and the console is more powerful. The PS3 also got very, very warm. Some might even say hot.

So how does one actually utilize the free 30 day trial for ps plus? I redeemed the code, however when I launch BF4 it tells me I need a ps plus subsciption. I've clearly missed something.

Any reports on just the sound cutting out? its happened to me twice today and i've had reboot the system each time.

Switched out the default HDMI cable for a better one i had laying around just in case that was the culprit.

Anyone else seriously annoyed by how awful mics are? Everyone sounds like static ear rape. You can't even play anything online without having to mute everyone

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

If this is the norm then I maybe temped to cancel my pre-order tbh.

Can others comment on the noise levels please?, what type of noise is it?, a 'whirring'?

Fan noise is a massive bug bear for me, my PC quietly hums even though Crysis 3.

Samyy

Can others comment on the noise levels please?, what type of noise is it?, a 'whirring'?

Fan noise is a massive bug bear for me, my PC quietly hums even though Crysis 3.

I can't even hear mine, maybe this guys is faulty but mine is silent when im playing.

bob page

Should I be worried about putting my PS4 in a media cabinet? The front is exposed but the top, sides & back are wood-paneled. Seemed to have gotten kind of warm in there after 2 hours of Killzone.

Joeki11a

Banned

Its not loud

I think he hears the game installing, after thats done game runs from HDD
discs are just a boot disc

Alright new issue.

Redemmed the COD map code, but PSN kicked me out before I told it to download. Code says it's used. Fine.

Check SEN website and the code was redeemed, however when i try to queue the map up for the PS4, nothing happens.

And unless I'm missing it I see NO download history option on the PS4 UI.

ARGH.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm sure it's written in the fine print somewhere, but I'm assuming that the 7-day PS+ trials for Killzone and BF4 won't stack with current subscriptions?
It's a trial. Only works for people without any ps+

Those PS+ 30 day and 7 day trials only work if you don't have an active PS+ membership.

BigFwoosh

Is anyone else being randomly kicked back to the PS4 home screen? I'm not hitting the PS button or anything, but it's acting like I am.

Jeels

People are going to have to get over the PS4 loudness. It's a 6X Blu Ray drive this time and the console is more powerful. The PS3 also got very, very warm. Some might even say hot.

I have a question, I honestly don't know. Why would the Bluray drive even be spinning if all games are mandatory installs.

Hawk269

God fucking dammit.

I started playing last night at 12:15, stopped at 2:30am, no heat issues and only noise was when the blu ray drive started up. Today, played from around 10am to about 3pm and no heat or loud noise at all.

Top Bottom