• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Holy shit, I can already hear my fans whirring pretty fucking loudly.

I've been playing KZ Shadow Fall's campaign for like thirty minutes. Seriously, I haven't even gotten to proper gameplay yet. I'm right past the
prisoner exchange where the ISA dude gets sniped, and the rocket blows up the Helghast
and my fans are already going at it. The damn thing's been on for maybe an hour!

Looks like heat issues will once again be an ever present aspect of the new generation. Fucking whoopee.

For comparison, I've heard my PS3 Slim's fans once in the two years I've had it, and that was after very extended play. The PC I built last year has been silent ever since, through Crysis 3, and everything else I've thrown at it.

God fucking dammit.
I was having the same issue as well. The PS4 was REALLY loud. Even without any discs spinning. And then after awhile it chilled out. I don't know why, I don't know how, but it did. Maybe too much stuff installing and downloading at once. Or maybe I just had to break it in. I don't know if that's even a possibility but the system has definitely settled down. Hopefully yours will too.

Piggus

CoD actually looks pretty nice after the 1080p patch. Really nice IQ. I'm not sure how some people can't tell when twice as any pixels are on screen.

pargonta

Is anyone else being randomly kicked back to the PS4 home screen? I'm not hitting the PS button or anything, but it's acting like I am.

I asked this earlier in the thread. nobody answered but i think i have figured it out.

when PSN is down, or goes out of service... it seems to kick you back to the first tile on the home page. at least, that is one conclusion i see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a trial. Only works for people without any ps+

Those PS+ 30 day and 7 day trials only work if you don't have an active PS+ membership.

I rather assume if I got a code from Amazon's bundle I should just wait out the trial period before entering the code? Or does that one expire or something?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Screw ya'll! Gonna have me some fun with Ratchet Into Nexus while you people play on dat PS QUADRA.

CoD actually looks pretty nice after the 1080p patch. Really nice IQ. I'm not sure how some people can't tell when twice as any pixels are on screen.
I can definitely tell in movies the difference between 1080 in Netflix and 720.

Not as easy for me with games. But still noticeable

Anival

Banned
I started playing last night at 12:15, stopped at 2:30am, no heat issues and only noise was when the blu ray drive started up. Today, played from around 10am to about 3pm and no heat or loud noise at all.
Mine as well and my house gets hot and I played all night and didnt hear anything. I don't know why some people make it seem like a jet plane or something.

BigFwoosh

I asked this earlier in the thread. nobody answered but i think i have figured it out.

when PSN is down, or goes out of service... it seems to kick you back to the first tile on the home page. at least, that is one conclusion i see.
I saw some other people mention it in the PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting thread thinking it's an issue with the 1.5 firmware. Annoying either way.

Dave_6

Hooked mine up, works great. Downloaded Resogun, Flower, Warframe, Contrast, played some KZ MP for about an hour. It then decides to freeze up when I was browsing my friends list. Had to hold down the 'power button' to force it off. Haven't turned it back on yet but hope it's okay.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Question regarding PS+:

PS+ currently gives you Jak HD collection for free on the PS3... Can you somehow download it on your PS4 and play it on that console?

Kinda bummed that I went with the upgrade/digital download version of Ghost now. The update installed fine but haven't been able to get onto PSN to do the upgrade portion. Seems to be working fine on my PS3 too.

It's kicking you out to tell you that PSN is down for no fathomable reason. I KNOW it's down, can I get on with playing my game now? Stop telling me over and over!

Is anyone else being randomly kicked back to the PS4 home screen? I'm not hitting the PS button or anything, but it's acting like I am.

I think it's that stupid SEN is currently undergoing maintenance warning that keeps kicking us back out. Really annoying.

Otherwise pretty sweet stuff. Some rough edges but otherwise happy with it.

PSVita remote play is awesome. Live from Playstation is kinda neat too. Really easy to see other people play (live I presume) and join their game if you want to.

Definitely thinking about Hard drive upgrade.

The Twitch streaming is totally magical, seamless setup and it really is just one button and you're broadcasting. Amazing. I think this is a potential game-changer and Xbox One better have something similar because I can see this being a huge draw.

I had a ton of fun broadcasting Resogun today and chatting with people who were watching. I had no interest in the PS camera but I'm gonna get one now. Love it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't hear anything at all when using my console... no fans or drive noise, and I've stuck my ear right next to it.

So far I've fully installed both AC4 and Killzone and played them for about 3 hours.

It almost makes me nervous... are my fans not working?

I hate the mic. I hate the ear bud type of mic period.

I plugged in my SkullCandy's and they work FLAWLESSLY. I can hear clearly and loudly. No more far away shit. And because they're "studio" type headphones, no worry about the bud falling out of my ear.

I had to take a break. I had the system on since early this morning. Non stop. hours in KZ SP, hours in KZ multi, some netflix, some UI chillin, downloading and what have you. Even streamed some KZ multi.

Roughly 12 hours of the system being on, and NOT ONCE did I hear the fan go loud. Hell, I heard the disc drive a bit, but this thing is ridiculously silent.

Streaming, party chat and game joining...this system is amazing.

I'm gonna chill out for a bit, try and sleep, give up on that, grab a couple of beers from the fridge and get back on.

Happy Gaming ya'll!

viveks86

I don't hear anything at all when using my console... no fans or drive noise, and I've stuck my ear right next to it.

So far I've fully installed both AC4 and Killzone and played them for about 3 hours.

It almost makes me nervous... are my fans not working?

LOL. You can find out by feeling up your PS4 after a few hours of play. If it's piping hot, then you have a problem. If it's just warm, then you are all set for the next generation. :)

Should I be worried about putting my PS4 in a media cabinet? The front is exposed but the top, sides & back are wood-paneled. Seemed to have gotten kind of warm in there after 2 hours of Killzone.
I'd keep it better ventilated since the air is exiting through the back of the system.

viveks86

I hate the mic. I hate the ear bud type of mic period.

I plugged in my SkullCandy's and they work FLAWLESSLY. I can hear clearly and loudly. No more far away shit. And because they're "studio" type headphones, no worry about the bud falling out of my ear.

I had to take a break. I had the system on since early this morning. Non stop. hours in KZ SP, hours in KZ multi, some netflix, some UI chillin, downloading and what have you. Even streamed some KZ multi.

Roughly 12 hours of the system being on, and NOT ONCE did I hear the fan go loud. Hell, I heard the disc drive a bit, but this thing is ridiculously silent.

Streaming, party chat and game joining...this system is amazing.

I'm gonna chill out for a bit, try and sleep, give up on that, grab a couple of beers from the fridge and get back on.

Happy Gaming ya'll!

Nice! Did you have to recharge your controller after the first full charge? At what point?

Yup, getting that a lot. Okay I'm buying it.

And I'm keeping mine. I was on the verge of returning my copy the day before launch when I decided "Screw the reviewers. Let's wait and see what Gaf has to say." Seems like I made the right call. Will find out for myself on Monday

Joeki11a

Banned
you know I didnt believe the whole upgrading the HDD recommendation

after installing 6 games and the PS+ games all that took 200+ gigs WTF

devs need to lower that Game data install size in future games

This Bluray Drive is faster than the PS3!

yeah people harp on the negative reviews but some sites did call it the " PS4's showcase title ".

I see 4,000+ people watching others play it on twitch too. Most popular PS4 title!

Knack is fun, it's also more difficult than I thought it was going to be...which is great!

Played some co-op Resogun, it makes an already insane game that much more. I did notice some framerate issues in co-op, but that could be the connection between myself and my co-op partner.

Top Bottom