• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So what is the furthest length someone has tried Remote Play so far with it still being playable? I know when mine comes in Wednesday or sooner I will be trying remote play from work ( 25 miles from home ). But would love to see impressions of far away remote play!

OK, so after playing around with it I have to say the shitty little mono mic is just fucking insulting. I'd rather have nothing. The thing barely works and it's an extremely sorry substitute for Sony brand headset compatibility. Shameful.

Synless

Gold Member
If this is the norm then I maybe temped to cancel my pre-order tbh.

Can others comment on the noise levels please?, what type of noise is it?, a 'whirring'?

Fan noise is a massive bug bear for me, my PC quietly hums even though Crysis 3.

My PS4 was only ever loud during the initial install of Killzone, after that it has been incredibly silent and I played it for over 6 hours last night. I am not hyperboling, it really very quiet.

wwm0nkey

Is there any way to make game and party chat audio come through my headphones?
There is a setting for this and I feel like you see it when you hold the PS button down.

Also put me down as someone who has had no noise issues at all, only ever got loud when starting Killzone and stops after I load the menu.

Nakazato

So what is the furthest length someone has tried Remote Play so far with it still being playable? I know when mine comes in Wednesday or sooner I will be trying remote play from work ( 25 miles from home ). But would love to see impressions of far away remote play!

Im working out of town next week ill try it ill be about 50-100 miles away

GQman2121

Banned
Here's what the mobile app looks like when you link it with the system. It basically becomes a controller and you can swipe the screen to move around the XMB (is it still called that?).

99T45Ng.png

LordK

I can get audio to come through the controller to my headphones, but it only comes to the left speaker. I'm using the elite headphones...

oxbear

Neo Member
I just set up my PS4 that UPS dropped off tonight.
It had no display issues with my Panasonic S60 plasma. Updated in Safe mode off USB with no problem. I'm playing Killzone with the PS4 right next to me and it is pretty silent. I have my system sitting vertically so that may help noise. So far so good.

sith ewok

If this is the norm then I maybe temped to cancel my pre-order tbh.

Can others comment on the noise levels please?, what type of noise is it?, a 'whirring'?

Fan noise is a massive bug bear for me, my PC quietly hums even though Crysis 3.

Mine runs nearly silent for the first 1/2 hour to hour of play. Once the fan kicks in, though, it is *loud.* It definitely is something I am disappointed in with the system. Installing is also loud, but that's to be expected.

Overall, I'm pleased with the system (network issues notwithstanding), but I expected the fan to be quieter.

Zabka

Mine's running fine so far. 1.5 Update only took 5 minutes to download.

It's a beautiful system but by far the best feature is the controller. It just feels right.

So I assume if a game from disc is still "installing" (loading circle on the icon), I can still switch games and it will install the rest next time, right? They don't make it clear, or even tell you, at all.

I am really, really impressed with the streaming integration -- I can see myself spending hours and hours watching peoples' streams. Will be a great way to decide whether to purchase games or not.

Now, if only I had a physical disc to play -- stupid PSN being down!

Unpacked, examined, hooked up, booted up, updated, downloaded Contrast and Resogun, put in Killzone disk, connected to PSN, etc.

Everything worked flawlessly.

When the PS4 restarts, it clicks. Doesn't seem like a big deal. I think a lot of electronics do that.

Currently standing up fine with no stand. Will probably pick one up later.

Inital DS4 charge lasted about two and a half hours before console prompted me to plug it in. Gonna assume that it just wasn't fully charged.

Killzone is awesome!

Drive is mostly silent. I think I may have heard it once when I first loaded the disk. I'm sitting about six feet from the console. Turned my computer on, and it's mostly watercooled. 200mm top case fan on a Corsair Obsidian 650D is louder than anything coming out of the PS4, and it's not that loud...

Mononoke

Banned
So the...Call of Duty Ghosts update that is 700mb, that is the 1080p single player patch? Just got it right now.

EDIT: Yep, i guess they said that an hour ago.

Remf

Loving it so far. I can attest that it has been quiet since i hooked it up and running since noon today. Luckily I downloaded everything before the servers were crushed. I also used my own hdmi cable just in case.

Deadstar

Is there a way to have the ui show my psn name only and not my real name? I'm not talking about sharing it with friends but how it appears to me on my own ps4.

DoomGyver

Unpacked, examined, hooked up, booted up, updated, downloaded Contrast and Resogun, put in Killzone disk, connected to PSN, etc.

Everything worked flawlessly.

When the PS4 restarts, it clicks. Doesn't seem like a big deal. I think a lot of electronics do that.

Currently standing up fine with no stand. Will probably pick one up later.

Inital DS4 charge lasted about two and a half hours before console prompted me to plug it in. Gonna assume that it just wasn't fully charged.

Killzone is awesome!

Drive is mostly silent. I think I may have heard it once when I first loaded the disk. I'm sitting about six feet from the console. Turned my computer on, and it's mostly watercooled. 200mm top case fan on a Corsair Obsidian 650D is louder than anything coming out of the PS4, and it's not that loud...
Mine makes that same noise on startup. Doesn't matter if I have a disc in the drive or not.

Has anyone done a temperature test vertical vs horizontal?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
So the...Call of Duty Ghosts update that is 700mb, that is the 1080p single player patch? Just got it right now.

EDIT: Yep, i guess they said that an hour ago.

I don't know. Does it look any better?

Go look at a brick's textures... they sure went all out for next gen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CoD in 1080p, I hate to say it, but it actually looks gorgeous. Everything is so clear. Wow. Just wow. Much pixels. Many ps.

I would take N64 games if they ran in 1080p. so much detail. so clear. so sharp. like knife cutting through butts WOW

Sakura

Damn we sold all 144 of our PS4s this morning. Funnily though we only have sold 3 copies of Killzone and 6 copies of Knack so far.

I don't really know where to post this but after spending a day with this machine I'm absolutely floored. Every game I've played looks beyond amazing. I'm playing on a 60 inch Vizio.

I normally game on pc. I have a 290x equipped Comp with a 2560x1440 monitor and I swear I've yet to see a game compete with what I'm seeing out of NBA 2k and kill zone. Battlefield looks and runs great as well.

I'm so Friggin impressed. What a beautiful start to this Gen.

FHIZ

So, mine's working fine, aside from that freeze mid update on Warframe, which I guess I'll just avoid.

My PS4 is doing one weird thing though. Often, it just goes back to the home menu like I pressed the PS button my controller. I'll go back to the game, but sometimes it'll go back to the menu like two seconds later. it seems really random when it actually happens. Anyone know what's going on?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
CoD in 1080p, I hate to say it, but it actually looks gorgeous. Everything is so clear. Wow. Just wow. Much pixels. Many ps.

I would take N64 games if they ran in 1080p. so much detail. so clear. so sharp. like knife cutting through butts WOW

Play BlackOps 2 on PC pls. so textury. so optimalized. so bettered.

BadAss2961

Really like how slick downloading, installing, loading, and switching back and forth through games and the OS is on PS4. Very tablet-like, if not simpler and even more user friendly. Even the games themselves are designed to get to their main menus much quicker than before, especially Killzone.

Such a jarring step up after being used to PS3.

Somehow my Battlefield save data became corrupt and the PS4 decided to redownload a bunch of updates I already had.

Not sure what is going on. I'm headed to bed. I'll leave this shit on standby.

Have you tried BF4? The giant bomb guys on-stream were saying that BF4 looks a lot, lot better than Ghosts, FYI.

My receiver does not like the ps4

Games I've tried (Assassins Creed and resogun) default to stereo or prologic and refuse to be dts or even Dolby digital

I don't get it

CF22

Not liking any of the singleplayer in KZ thus far other than the very pretty graphics. Haven't played the multiplayer though.

Same as me. I don't usually play first person shooters but though I'd give KZ a try, it is pretty but as boring and uninspiring as all the other FPS out there. NFS is quite fun and will play ACIV later; so far I'm liking my PS4, a lot.

SRTtoZ

Can someone explain to me why Knack has gotten some of the worst reviews in recent memory but every stream I watch, every person I read about who owns the game on any forum, all LOVE it. Is there something I'm missing?

viveks86

LOL. And what about the alleged frame rate issues? Are they resolved as well?

Can someone explain to me why Knack has gotten some of the worst reviews in recent memory but every stream I watch, every person I read about who owns the game on any forum, all LOVE it. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes. The people that like the game were not being paid to review games. There seems to be some major disconnect between what professionals want to see in games and what the general population wants.

leehom

Does anyone know why my PS4 won't recognize my USB drive so I can install a new HDD?

I have it formatted in FAT32. Folder files are PS4 > UPDATE >

Loudninja

I really have no idea.

The game is fun,plain and simple!

Not sure if it's been asked but can anyone confirm 3d bluray and mp4 video playback are in fw1.5 or not?

Dredd still does not work, just like it does not work on the ps3. The disc cannot be recognized. It really pisses me off, but whatever. The other 3D movies I tried went off without a hitch.

No idea on mp3s, sorry.

Hooked mine up no problems. Played a game of madden, now I'm watching man of steel on Blu.

All I can say is my god.

Going to get Killzone, FIFA and NBA tomorrow. This machine is a beast!!!!

I used the included HDMI cable no problem
Downloaded the patch no problem

Everything has been peaches baby.

Top Bottom