• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

SRTtoZ

NBA 2K14 is taking forever and a day to install. I think I will have to get it done overnight while I sleep.

Its a huge install and by far the longest install out of all the games I own. Its worth it though, make sure you restart the game after the install (if you're playing the demo mode) or else you wont get all the options.

Currently standing up fine with no stand. Will probably pick one up later.

Thats what I'm doing. I put it up on its side when I was rearranging my entertainment center and noticed it was very sturdy. Fuck the stand.

graywolf323

Can someone explain to me why Knack has gotten some of the worst reviews in recent memory but every stream I watch, every person I read about who owns the game on any forum, all LOVE it. Is there something I'm missing?

I wouldn't go as far as to say I love it but it's definitely better IMO than the reviewers made it sound like

no way is it a 4/10, I'd give it a solid 7

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So when in the main system screen with all your recent stuff, my cursor goes back to my recently playing item. Anyone else experience this at all?

Fracas

#fuckonami
There is a setting for this and I feel like you see it when you hold the PS button down.

Also put me down as someone who has had no noise issues at all, only ever got loud when starting Killzone and stops after I load the menu.

I'm wanting to do a setup like this (I really hate the earbud, lol)

-Use my gaming headset for all incoming audio (it's connected via the optical port)
-clip on the mic/earbud thing to it and just use that as a mic while connected to the Dualshock 4

Is that possible?

Roto13

Well I set up my friend's PS4 and played the one launch game I'm interested in, Resogun. "Conveniently" it was the only game that would download.

It's pretty rad. But I think I'm ok playing Super Stardust HD and saving $400. At least until InFamous: Second Son comes out.

Is there any way to pause downloads? So many downloads going and my Download speed isn't really fast enough to handle it. Also I hope we get the ability to put up some wallpapers or steam. The background is looking a bit blind.

bob page

Can someone explain to me why Knack has gotten some of the worst reviews in recent memory but every stream I watch, every person I read about who owns the game on any forum, all LOVE it. Is there something I'm missing?

The press missed really bad on Killzone, too. I'm having a really good time with it (and the graphics are jawdropping).

It is strange. I can't recall an instance like this before. Glad I got the game for free. Maybe the low scores has reset any hype expectations and people like it for what it Is? Or different difficulty settings?

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
How do I get PSN to stop thinking I'm not yet a PS+ subscriber and having me pick a plan? I'm downloading my free games since I've been a subscriber for months, but it doesn't appear to have fully "registered" in the PSN store that I'm already a member. There are all these "Join Now" ads and windows.

Exokell

Banned
how the fuck did verge of polygon give this machine a 7.7/7.5. Its fucking awesome. Super quiet, controller and console are fucking gorgeous, it doesnt get hot, everything is snappy as fuck.

njean777

Ghosts is really pissing me off, I download the update and then go try to play online, and then it just restarts downloading the update again.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I got Killzone. Maybe it's because I've been a high end PC gamer, but not as visually impressive as I thought it would be. There are parts that are good (like the start of chapter 4), and other areas that look like a PS3 game with some upgrades.

I will say that the console OS and design is superb. Quiet, fast, virtually no ads, good cooling, fairly compact (especially considering it's the first rev), fast updates. Looking at future games, it has a lot of potential both natively and with ports to PC.

Strider

Just tried out the "download to PS4" feature using the web store. Worked like a charm.

I already love this console. So happy with my purchase right now.

SRTtoZ

It is strange. I can't recall an instance like this before. Glad I got the game for free. Maybe the low scores has reset any hype expectations and people like it for what it Is? Or different difficulty settings?

No idea, but even last night as I was going to bed (well, 8am this morning), I got my iPad, typed in "Knack" on twitch and watched a stream playing on the hardest difficulty, and everyone watching (a few hundred viewers) were all saying how cool it was. Really weird.

I would say its both of these, its an average game that got alot of lukewarm/negative reception, hard mode is actually fun.

how the fuck did verge of polygon give this machine a 7.7/7.5. Its fucking awesome. Super quiet, controller and console are fucking gorgeous, it doesnt get hot, everything is snappy as fuck.
We don't really have anything to compare their score too. After next Friday we'll have a better idea.

ocadman

Just installed warframe. It tried to update but locked up. I had to unplug and tried to update again and no problems. Whew!

CoD in 1080p, I hate to say it, but it actually looks gorgeous. Everything is so clear. Wow. Just wow. Much pixels. Many ps.

I would take N64 games if they ran in 1080p. so much detail. so clear. so sharp. like knife cutting through butts WOW
Totally agree. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw it last night, was the first game I played on my PS4. The PS3 version looks like a different game practically, I couldn't even see the enemies half the time.

Anival

Banned
Finally got to try out the share function and the first 15min it saved was Assassins Creed 4, I got tackled through a door and fell through the map and could swim around.

DoctorZ

I am not liking my Rocketfish stand I got at Best Buy. I decided to just get it there since it seems to be the only one and I had a $10 credit to use. But its pretty light and I feel like its actually easier to topple over with the stand than just the console. The console has prefectly flat sides while the stand's rubber feet are not as flat and it wobbles a bit.

Anyways I'll probably just keep it as I don't want the side of my PS4 to get scratched like my PS3 slim has since I just put that on its side without a stand. learned my lesson on that.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Got my system around 2:30. Downloaded and played Resogun first while other free downloads installed. Then installed and played a bit of Killzone, NBA2K14, Marvel, and BF4. Taking a break now before some Knack. Everything is running so smooth, and the UI is so tight, I don't think I can go back to PS3 and Xbox 360. I'm already spoiled.

Hopefully PSN is solid tonight, so I can try out the media apps.

How do I get PSN to stop thinking I'm not yet a PS+ subscriber and having me pick a plan? I'm downloading my free games since I've been a subscriber for months, but it doesn't appear to have fully "registered" in the PSN store that I'm already a member. There are all these "Join Now" ads and windows.

It's doing that to everyone it seems.

Dredd still does not work, just like it does not work on the ps3. The disc cannot be recognized. It really pisses me off, but whatever. The other 3D movies I tried went off without a hitch.
There was apparently a bad batch of Dredd discs. It's discussed at length on Blu-Ray.com's thread for the movie.

SRTtoZ

I am not liking my Rocketfish stand I got at Best Buy. I decided to just get it there since it seems to be the only one and I had a $10 credit to use. But its pretty light and I feel like its actually easier to topple over with the stand than just the console. The console has prefectly flat sides while the stand's rubber feet are not as flat and it wobbles a bit.

Anyways I'll probably just keep it as I don't want the side of my PS4 to get scratched like my PS3 slim has since I just put that on its side without a stand. learned my lesson on that.

The stand is looking like its really useless. What I mean by that is it will take the same amount of force to knock over the PS4 stand-less than with the stand.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Somehow my Battlefield save data became corrupt and the PS4 decided to redownload a bunch of updates I already had.

Not sure what is going on. I'm headed to bed. I'll leave this shit on standby.

Was your save backed up to PS+? Does it do that now? I can't tell.

lantus

OK I feel kind of stupid. I'm trying to get remote play set up to where I connect directly through the PS4 but I think it keeps on connecting through my router. So I'm in my Vita's wi-fi settings trying to connect to my PS4 and it says I need a password to connect, the only thing is I don't know what it is or where to find it, help!

I dint buy the Ps4, but my friends cusin did and he is having problems adding the PSN trial code, due to needing a credit card. He went and bought a debit card at walgreens, but no matter how many times he puts the correct card info, it keeps saying invalid card. Apperantly he is not the only one having this problem, saw a few threads at the sony support forum with the same issue. Anyone here having those problems? He wanted to play Battlefield 4 badly, at least warframe is playable online without plus.

SRTtoZ

OK I feel kind of stupid. I'm trying to get remote play set up to where I connect directly through the PS4 but I think it keeps on connecting through my router. So I'm in my Vita's wi-fi settings trying to connect to my PS4 and it says I need a password to connect, the only thing is I don't know what it is or where to find it, help!

Why are you in the Vita settings? You just need to go to remote play on PS4, enable it, then go to the PS4 app on your vita, and type in the number, and wallah.

DoctorZ

The stand is looking like its really useless. What I mean by that is it will take the same amount of force to knock over the PS4 stand-less than with the stand.

Well I remember on the Giant Bomb E3 stream Adam Boyes brought the stand, which I assume was the official one. Brad commented that it was pretty heavy and it seemed really stable. That's why I was upset that the official one is only in Europe and the only ones in NA arae licensed ones.

I mostly got it because I don't want the side to get scratched. I move my console backa nd forth from my gf's place to mine and like I said my PS3 has a ton of scratches on the side where I stand it upright. The only place to put it at her apartment is behind the monitor on her desk as she doesn't have an HDTV. Over time it accumulated a lot of scratches. I want to keep my PS4 in as nice of condition as I can.

leehom

I had the same problem, it worked when I tried a different USB stick.

I think the PS4 can't read USB 3.0 memory. I tried a USB 3.0 memory stick and portable hard drive. Had to use a USB 1.0 and just installed the software. It loaded up pretty fast. It's working now after rebooting it like 20x.

sounds like it is asking for the router password, which is generally your wifi key.

JaxJag

Banned

Usually when people pay a lot of money for a new console they need to try and convince themselves that it was a worthy purchase.

Which would explain the terrible Knack reviews versus the ok word of mouth it's gotten.

MercuryLS

Banned
I didn't think that 1080p native would be a massive difference, but it's a massive difference. Everything I've played on the machine looks so fucking crisp and beautiful.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I notice I have to turn my receiver up much higher to get the same level of sound I usually do from my PS3...

Somehow my Battlefield save data became corrupt and the PS4 decided to redownload a bunch of updates I already had.

Not sure what is going on. I'm headed to bed. I'll leave this shit on standby.

The Giantbomb guys had their saves get corrupted when playing a multiplayer match on their stream today too. Idk if its something wrong with BF4 or the PS4 :/

Top Bottom