• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Im super impressed with the thermals on this thing. I had a 120 MM fan spliced into a usb cable to help keep my ps3 cool in my entertainment center. I left there and have it blowing across the back of the ps4. After 3 hours or so of killzone, the thing is still cool to the touch on top and there is only a bit of heat coming off the back. Its also whisper fkn quite. Good times.

Silly question but I'm not really that great with tech. Would the experts recommend turning the unit off (if its for more than an hour or two - overnight for example) or placing it in standby?
I'm not one of "the experts" but I'm turning mine off. I can't sleep with that orange standby light (even if it isn't nearly as bright). Pressing the PS button on the controller still turns the system back on, even if it's off.

megalowho

Been really enjoying the PS4 so far. Love the design, can't notice the fans (no discs), controller melts in your hands, UI is snappy and easy to navigate. Remote play works well, faster downloads, headphone jack on the controller sounds good and the ability to suspend between games and apps is key - was jumping between Assassin's Creed and the Celtics game without skipping a beat.

Have only spent money on two games so far (AC4 and NBA 2K14) but have quite a bit to mess around with thanks to PS+, cross buy and F2P. Installing was a little confusing for certain games but all is currently working as intended. The social features and customization options included feel a bit spartan, I like the idea of an activity wall but the content isn't all that interesting (time for everyone to copy Miiverse). System has a lot of potential though, looking forward to watching it grow over time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not one of "the experts" but I'm turning mine off. I can't sleep with that orange standby light (even if it isn't nearly as bright). Pressing the PS button on the controller still turns the system back on, even if it's off.

Light bugs me. And I can also hear a slight hum from a fan or something.

The "PS Dynamic Menu randomly popping up" bug is driving me crazy. It seems to happen when I first start or leave a game I'm playing. I haven't had any other issues so I have a lot to be thankful for so far. That bug just keeps happening though!

SRTtoZ

Man, hard-wiring really is the way to go. On wifi I was getting bout 2-3mb/s, now with an Ethernet cable I'm getting 7-8mb/s. I just wish my router wasn't downstairs :/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, I spoke too soon.

After the initial 6 gig download for BF4, it continues to load the rest of the 40 gigs. Looked like I was getting about 1-1.5 meg per second during the initial download... now it's going at about 70-100k/s. UUGH.

I don't even see a way to control the download at all... the only option I have is to "delete", and that looks like it will delete the whole BF4 game.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
After dealing with UPS, I am now ready to shoot some polygons in the face. What is the worst day one patch offender so far?

edit - looks like I'll leave BF4 for Monday. Damn.

Noof

So I've been playing for a few hours now and I've been having trouble with the display/audio. They'll both suddenly stutter, then the video comes back but the audio doesn't. I have to unplug the hdmi and plug it back in for the audio to come back.

This is with the pack-in hdmi cable. I'm gonna try another cable later that I know works. I hope it's a faulty cable and not something with my console.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its pretty wild that by simply pressing the share button i instantly save a 900 meg 15min 1080p video of my session. Incredible actually.

Okay, got about 5 hours of gaming in and i'm able to log into the PSN at least. Let's see...

Warframe: it looks better than my PC copy, plays very similar. Curious to see if controller aiming will hold up in the long run vs mouse aiming that i'm used to.

Battlefield 4: I.... think this is the best looking launch title. Ninehundred P, schminehundred P. A real jaw-dropper.

LEGO Marvel: good dumb LEGO fun. Great for co-op.

Killzone: looks pretty. I like how broad some of the level design is. Great, huge vistas now and then. Gunplay is... eh... it's Killzone.

Resogun: YES PLEASE. I suck more than I thought I would, but this scratches that "pick up and play" itch really well.

iamjohn

My PS4 has arrived at my house, but it's technically my birthday present so I won't get it until mid December. Hearing all of these reports about defective consoles, should I test out my console briefly just to make sure it works properly? What do you guys think?

I am, I kept thinking I was pushing something by accident...

Same. It's always for the PSN maintenance message.

Also...

ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED to multi tasking with Netflix and Resogun currently.

Biggest game changer for me so far and is making me consider more digital games. Not sure if you can do this (and as quickly to boot) with disc games?

It's supposed to be able to download updates and stuff so i would assume....need to test it.

Cool. I put it in Standby with three things downloaded so I'll know in the morning...

Also, for the games with Playgo, once the initial download is done and it's playable, does it continue to download in the background? Killzone isn't showing up in my download list, but it's only downloaded the first two levels. Do I have to be in the game to have it continue?

TheExodu5

Banned
The UI makes no sense to me. The top bar is fine, but the bottom one with the most recently used apps is a cluttered, disorganized mess.

Edgeward

Got my ps4 all set up with no troubles using the packed in hdmi cord.

Thing is super slick. Resogun is amazing and remote play works so far from the other side of my house to my room!

Can't wait for more games to come out especially rpgs so I can really try this baby out.

Arklite

Streaming music during play works beautifully so far, and the headphone jack on the controller plays back everything with good quality for discreet play. Surprisingly the giant blazing light on the front of the pad hasn't given me much glare issues, but it sure is bright.

Great launch. Was able to quickly download the update and install the two games I bought on PSN, plus the two freebies. Then I downloaded some demos including FIFA. All the while in Party chat with my bud and it never dropped us once. I am loving my PS4 right now!

So UPS guy arrived in front of my house today.

Idled there.

Did not come out of the truck (I was at my door waiting for the package).

Then left and marked it as delivered despite not actually doing so.

Relatively sure the UPS guy stole my PS4?!

reKon

Banned
What the fuck. I've been playing Killzone SF for the past hour or so. I'm trying to use my PSN + Trial code and I keep on getting stupid errors. I wanted to apply the code online, but it said that this MUST be redeemed from the PS4 (I'm using the 7 day trial that came with Killzone). I then go to enter in my debit card info and I kept getting an error saying that that this information is not valid. I switch to my credit card and finally allows me to go through, but now it's saying my fucking address is not valid. What the hell is this Sony?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
1 TB HDD installed:
FPlvjxQ.jpg

Seems to be more than anticipated

Helscream

Banned
It's supposed to be able to download updates and stuff so i would assume....need to test it.

I can confirm it works. Last night after trying several times to log into PSN. I was finally able to begin downloading Killzone Shadow Fall. I went to make sure the game was downloading and then just put my PS4 into standby. By the time I woke up it had downloaded all 39 gigs and fully installed the game.

Top Bottom