• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So UPS guy arrived in front of my house today.

Idled there.

Did not come out of the truck (I was at my door waiting for the package).

Then left and marked it as delivered despite not actually doing so.

Relatively sure the UPS guy stole my PS4?!

Tell me you called UPS and got this all figured out...

Mik317

Had a lot of fun today. Nothing groundbreaking but a new system and a bunch of new games is always a good time. Some impressions

2k14 - It's 2k. Game is pretty as hell. I am bummed out at some of the things they took out and some of the design choices. They made a lot of simple shit more complicated it seems but that's menus and such. Actual gameplay is strong. I can't defend for shit tho. Going to have tinker with some sliders regardless. the AI takes more 3s than they did in current gen which is great but the yalso bomb you out of the building lol. Good game but probably will be ruined by some personal naggles, they took out a lot of stuff, and from what I've heard MyGm isn't a great replacement of association mode. 2k15 better have all the standard modes back.

Need For Speed- Not big into racers but it is pretty. The tutorial lady is sure enthusiastic...It's a racing game. Probably won't keep for long. I can't turn for shit. Will dig in deeper later.

Lego Marvel - I had a big childlike grin on my face. Game is charming, it's fun and each hero seems to be different enough to make up for what will probably be repetitive gameplay. Writing is pretty good even if the Voice acting is meh (Tony and Fury...). Haven't seen the current gen version in person but the game is pretty.

Fifa- I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I AM DOING. After letting Messi down, I didn't play much because it was getting late. I need to read up on how to football it seems. Despite being confused as fuck, I had fun.

Killzone- This game is gorgeous. Once again it's late so I didnt get much playtime. Just did the first mission. Story is a bit scattershot. Like I have no clue what is even going on, so going to read up on that too.

Overall, good day after PSN stopped being a dick. I never expected any of these games to blow me away but they all seem like good games so far. Everything looks good. I am worried a bit about the incoming drought December to March as even if Driveclub hits in February, I'm not super interested in that. But oh well. Dont regret buying it at all. Going to try out some video services and see how the sound quality of headphones via controller are. I miss my ps3 headset so that may have to be a purchase down the line....so much money.

Venturer

Yeah, what the hell is this? Because My unopened Amazon delivered PS4 is staring at me and I'm scared

Yeh a sony rep has said amazon and tacobell batches were the ones having most of the issues. Sony store in denvor hadn't had one returned yet until Hi11zones which he got from tacobell though.

reKon

Banned
Most of the stuff from the PS4 has been impressing me..

Being able to hook up ANY headphone I want to it and listen to audio from there while swiftly mulitasking. I've been watching the Shield on Amazon Prime and in 5 seconds was able to get to all the playstation streaming because I wanted to check out what's going on.

The one thing that ruins everything for me though is the fact that I can't fucking redeem any of my PSN trial codes because PSN requires a Credit Card and it doesn't accept any of mine. It's infuriating that Sony has done nothing to resolve this over the years. I've done research and found out that people have had to wait up to 48 hours just to be able to try to enter in their card and address information hoping that it will actually go through.

I entered in my debt card/credit information PERFECTLY and it nothing would happen. So basically this means I can't play PSN for any of this weekend because Sony refuses to improve their authentication process for credit cards. Just incredible...

Yeh a sony rep has said amazon and tacobell batches were the ones having most of the issues. Sony store in denvor hadn't had one returned yet until Hi11zones which he got from tacobell though.

My tacobell one has been working fine so I assume that not all amazon/taco bell ones are defected right?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Pulse Elite phones sound really great through the controller jack. Shocked, but I guess native support will sound even better.

Joeki11a

Banned
Had a lot of fun today. Nothing groundbreaking but a new system and a bunch of new games is always a good time. Some impressions

2k14 - It's 2k. Game is pretty as hell. I am bummed out at some of the things they took out and some of the design choices. They made a lot of simple shit more complicated it seems but that's menus and such. Actual gameplay is strong. I can't defend for shit tho. Going to have tinker with some sliders regardless. the AI takes more 3s than they did in current gen which is great but the yalso bomb you out of the building lol. Good game but probably will be ruined by some personal naggles, they took out a lot of stuff, and from what I've heard MyGm isn't a great replacement of association mode. 2k15 better have all the standard modes back.

Need For Speed- Not big into racers but it is pretty. The tutorial lady is sure enthusiastic...It's a racing game. Probably won't keep for long. I can't turn for shit. Will dig in deeper later.

Lego Marvel - I had a big childlike grin on my face. Game is charming, it's fun and each hero seems to be different enough to make up for what will probably be repetitive gameplay. Writing is pretty good even if the Voice acting is meh (Tony and Fury...). Haven't seen the current gen version in person but the game is pretty.

Fifa- I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I AM DOING. After letting Messi down, I didn't play much because it was getting late. I need to read up on how to football it seems. Despite being confused as fuck, I had fun.

Killzone- This game is gorgeous. Once again it's late so I didnt get much playtime. Just did the first mission. Story is a bit scattershot. Like I have no clue what is even going on, so going to read up on that too.

Overall, good day after PSN stopped being a dick. I never expected any of these games to blow me away but they all seem like good games so far. Everything looks good. I am worried a bit about the incoming drought December to March as even if Driveclub hits in February, I'm not super interested in that. But oh well. Dont regret buying it at all. Going to try out some video services and see how the sound quality of headphones via controller are. I miss my ps3 headset so that may have to be a purchase down the line....so much money.

2K restarted and the foundation is pretty solid

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow

I can't believe how fast the 1.5 update went. Within less than 5 minutes it downloaded and fully installed.

RkOwnage

Anyone get Madden and having trouble creating online games with friends? Everytime I try and make a game, it freezes on me. Reset the system, running into the same issue.

So, I never had any friends on the PS3 so I don't know how the activity stuff works. Do I need to do anything on my end to make sure that nothing gets spammed to my friends activity feeds? Like, are they getting trophy notifications, game started and stopped, Etc? I just added a bunch of people today and I don't want to spam them.

viveks86

Oh GAWD, the Logitech G930 wireless headphones work on PS4, voice chat and in-game audio.

@_@

Too bad you can't adjust the audio volume, it's set at a default value.

I read earlier on Gaf that you can adjust it from some settings that comes up when you hit the PS button. No idea how this is done. I still don't have the console, but thought I'd put it out there

Most of the stuff from the PS4 has been impressing me..

Being able to hook up ANY headphone I want to it and listen to audio from there while swiftly mulitasking. I've been watching the Shield on Amazon Prime and in 5 seconds was able to get to all the playstation streaming because I wanted to check out what's going on.

The one thing that ruins everything for me though is the fact that I can't fucking redeem any of my PSN trial codes because PSN requires a Credit Card and it doesn't accept any of mine. It's infuriating that Sony has done nothing to resolve this over the years. I've done research and found out that people have had to wait up to 48 hours just to be able to try to enter in their card and address information hoping that it will actually go through.

I entered in my debt card/credit information PERFECTLY and it nothing would happen. So basically this means I can't play PSN for any of this weekend because Sony refuses to improve their authentication process for credit cards. Just incredible...
Can you maybe do it on the SEN store/website? I'm not sure if you can, just an idea.

Who was the person who said they hear a loose screw rolling around their system when they move it around? My brother's system from Amazon is doing the same thing ughh.

Anyways, 3 PS4s are working well. Mine (Gamestop), my brother and my friend (both from Amazon). Yay.

SRTtoZ

I just got the "your battery is low" warning after about 15-18 hours of having it on, gaming and non gaming (but still on). Keep in mind, this was out of the box, I didn't charge it except for a couple minutes when I had to hook it up to sync it. I cannot see this being 8 hours on a full charge. Also, since I got the warning ive played 2 games of NBA2k14, and its still not dead.

iamjohn

Yeah, what the hell is this? Because My unopened Amazon delivered PS4 is staring at me and I'm scared

I am as well....might have to say screw the birthday gift idea and make sure this thing works. A non-working PS4 on my birthday would just be the absolute worst thing to happen

reKon

Banned
So my ps4 is turned on and I complete all the set up procedures until the system update is finished. Now I'm staring at a blank screen (flashing blue light on console) but my monitor is telling me it still has a signal. What do?

I read earlier on Gaf that you can adjust it from some settings that comes up when you hit the PS button. No idea how this is done. I still don't have the console, but thought I'd put it out there

Yup, hold down the PS button and go into something like 'manage devices', volume control is there.

PARANO1A

Just a few initial impressions from someone whose primary game console was the 360 last gen. The controller is great. I'm still trying to get used to not having a start or select button, but it's super comfortable. I hate the Dual Shock 3 with a passion, so I was surprised at how comfortable the DS4 feels. The bumpers feels a little bit small, but the triggers and analog sticks are leaps and bounds above the DS3. And that D-pad. I'll eventually get an Xbox One, but the d-pad is fucking amazing.

Download speeds seem pretty fast too. One of the reasons I hated the PS3 was because it took forever to download updates or to install games. The play game after a certain amount has downloaded is awesome.

And this is something completely arbitrary, but by far it's the coolest looking console I've ever owned. Dat light makes it look so awesome and it's so sleek looking. I'll wager 50/50 that the light thing is going to not work in six months, but until then it looks cool.

Great impressions from someone in a similar boat. Thanks.

SRTtoZ

so a friend of mine was streaming NBA 2K but the game audio wasn't on the stream at all, it's not universal because then she tried Resogun and the game audio came through just fine

anyone else having that problem with NBA 2K?

Seems to be an issue with NBA2k14. Its the only game I have where there is no sound when I stream.

Any specific activities that are messing with defected ps4s I should know about? downloading certain things and the like. Or is it mainly the hdmi issue thats mucking things up? Installed 1.5 a couple of days ago and played knack with no problems and today I downloaded and played contrast and resogun. Just want to make sure im not sitting on a messed up console without realizing it.

viveks86

Oh GAWD, the Logitech G930 wireless headphones work on PS4, voice chat and in-game audio.

@_@

Too bad you can't adjust the audio volume, it's set at a default value.

Yup, hold down the PS button and go into something like 'manage devices', volume control is there.

Thanks! :)

mindblown, took a crap while playing BF4 Vita remote play

wow

LOL! That was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking about remote play. The idea of buying a vita is now officially on the table!

Having some trouble downloading Flower.

For some reason it just says "purchased" where the download button should be. That's it, it won't let me download it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It still hangs for me on the blue screen when I click on the store, then tells me the service is undergoing maintenance.

My camera purchase was totally vindicated with Playroom. I died when a giant duck appeared in my room.

Does anyone know how to do the drawing thing with the Playstation app? I had it connected as a second screen during the robot game, but nothing happened.

I foolishly downloaded Warframe and Contrast at the same time before I knew there was no way to manage the queue. I kept receiving notifications that the games were ready to install before they finished downloading...I sat there while the "Installing" logo spun and...nothing?

Top Bottom