• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Deadstar

Played some Resogun. What an awesome game! Looks incredible and is a lot of fun. Blowing up a bomb and watching all the little bits fly around is pure bliss.

Popped in knack and played almost to where the giant bomb quick look ended. Enjoying myself so far but my left thumb kind of hurt? I think my hands need to get used to the position of the sticks. Fun game though.

nataku

Kind of annoyed that I can't get the activity feed to not display my real name. I have a strange mix of my PSN ID and real name on various things I've done. It's used my real name for playing some games and completing levels in Resogun, but my ID for a Warframe achievement.

I don't have the privacy settings set up to use my real name at all, because I don't want it to. So what gives?

FroJay

Banned
Didn't like how the Killzone campaign started out in the first few levels, but now I'm starting to like it and the campaign gameplay quite a bit. Very happy PS4 purchaser today! Not sure how long the actual campaign is, but I'm dying to try Assassins Creed Black Flag as well! So glad next gen is here, and loving the PS4!

jwk94

I'm having trouble setting up Remote Play. For some reason, whenever I try to set it up, it says that it can't connect it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
That's what I'm hearing -- those shitty YouTube vids do it no justice.

I really love the way it looks, and plays... There some framerate issues here and there, and, some strang visual things like seeing targets I track through walls... No matter where they are, they're right on screen, not hidden as they go through alleys.

Meepo

Neo Member
Someone please answer this. So I'm online and everything. But I can't seem to access the social hub parts of the games. Like pressing down on the game icon and going into overview and being able to rate, see peoples screen captures and what not. Is it like this for anyone else?

ButchCat

Question for those who got a camera with their console. Does the camera require space or does it work well for say twitch streaming in a confined room?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My camera purchase was totally vindicated with Playroom. I died when a giant duck appeared in my room.

Does anyone know how to do the drawing thing with the Playstation app? I had it connected as a second screen during the robot game, but nothing happened.

The drawing app is "coming soon."

So how do I get to war thunder? I can't find it in the store.

No War Thunder yet, hopefully it'll be out before Dec.

My $0.02

+ Looks very nice on my entertainment center. My only minor quibble are the front facing USB ports ruining the look and the shiny black plastic top left being such a smudge magnet. With my Xbox One coming next week made entirely of glossy black plastic, I shudder to think how much cleaning that would require.

+ Performance as advertised. Games look great and the resolution jump hits you like a truck.

+ Best controller ever (until next week anyhow). I always preferred the 360s controller to nearly anything and never thought I'd say this about a dualshock.

+ Playstation Camera is suprisingly cool. The playroom isn't a system selling must have but its terrific fun and my girlfriend loves it.

+ I don't know why but Netflix and Amazon Instant look much better on my PS4 vs my Roku 3 (I'm guessing something to do with decoding hardware).

- The firmware is half baked. I had to restore the console from safe mode after installing 1.5 made my PS4 go into a catatonic state with a flashing blue light. Luckily safe mode worked and installing the update via the internet from there made things right again.

- Can be a bit noisy in games like Killzone with both fans and the BD going full blast.

- The UI needs some customization options and I'm sure they're coming. I'd rather they focused on stability first.

- They really should have done a better job at getting PSN ready for launch.

Overall I think it is looking like a console with tonnes of potential for years to come. If they'd gotten the firmware/PSN issues taken care of before launch I'd be inclined to call it perfect. It's probably the best example of Sony being one of the best at hardware and design and needing some improvement on software and services. I'm fully expecting my Xbox One next week to be the complete opposite. I expect underwhelming hardware (especially after the PS4) but a much better OS and Network experience.

If only Microsoft and Sony collaborated and released a joint console with Sony doing all the hardware and design and Mircosoft doing the OS and Network.....

BigDug13

Holy fuck Assassin's Creed 4 looks amazing on PS4.

The best part is the frame rate. Things that were difficult to pull off with the sluggish controls on a janky running game are now easy to accomplish on a completely smooth running game. Even in Havana which taxes PS3 badly and causes some of your control commands to go unanswered are just butter smooth now.

The framerate improvement actually makes it feel like a different game. A way better game.

bounchfx

Does anyone have an extra 1 month PS+ code I could have? I really want to buy a year worth but my card was lost and I still haven't gotten a new one in the mail, and the store wont take my paypal correctly... so does anyone have an extra code to spare, if they dont mind?

Also, where do we get the trials of the games? One of the biggest reasons I bought the PS4 is because they said you would be able to try every game for free first without purchase. I can't seem to find anything

Lmo911

I got mine from amazon. Warmed up BF4, got into the campaign because PSN was down...

Death. :(

Blinking blue light, no fixes working. I continue my battle with Sony on the morrow.

wait until they patch it to 1080p. it might blow you away even more.

Is this true?

The only thing I see as an upgrade right now is more characters on screen. 1080p should be interesting though I swear I thought that's what I was playing. I know shit about resolution.

Anyway, does anyone know how to look at their friends broadcast live
The best part is the frame rate. Things that were difficult to pull off with the sluggish controls on a janky running game are now easy to accomplish on a completely smooth running game. Even in Havana which taxes PS3 badly and causes some of your control commands to go unanswered are just butter smooth now.

The framerate improvement actually makes it feel like a different game. A way better game.

I'm not seeing an improvement in controls. Dude still comes to a halt when I font want him to. Collission detection is awful in places. Minor quibbles but overall very pleasant to look at.

Hex

Banned
Ok very stupid question, when a game says ready to install do I have to do anything?
I have been just going in and playing.
It installs itself right?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Sharing features are very cool and seamless. I'm guessing some multiplayer counts are low because like myself, people cannot get into the store to redeem codes.

daegan

Are anyone else's ds4s just stopping responding randomly? I keep getting stuck spinning in killzone or running one direction in FIFA. Very frustrating. Both controllers are doing this.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Ok very stupid question, when a game says ready to install do I have to do anything?
I have been just going in and playing.
It installs itself right?

I think it begins install when you pop in the disc. Soon, sometimes ready within 10 seconds

JABEE

I'm really happy with everything so far. Knack looks pretty damn great. I'm not sure what people were talking about when they said it looked like a current gen game, unless the demo was worse.

Also, where is the damn download list? I want to download my Warframe DLC bundle that I got for preordering.

Kevitivity

No issues with my Amazon ordered PS4 once I was able to get onto PSN. At first I thought the light bar on top was faulty until I realized a friend had turned the unit uside down!. It's in standby mode now download NFS. I'm going to bed.

Razdek

Banned
I've had a few freezes when browsing through the UI and especially coming out of a game. is anyone else experiencing freezes?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Does Remote Play work over Bluetooth? Or Wi Fi only? I have a headache if Wi Fi is working, so i'm not using it.

I dunno if it uses bluetooth, but there is a direct connection option that does not use wifi, that I know for sure.

Remote play is insane though! Played Resogun with no noticeable lag (from what I could tell). My only gripe is the back pad being subsituted for buttons, but I guess there was no other way.

Jeels

My camera purchase was totally vindicated with Playroom. I died when a giant duck appeared in my room.

Does anyone know how to do the drawing thing with the Playstation app? I had it connected as a second screen during the robot game, but nothing happened.

I have the same issue, no prompt to draw. They demo'd it during Jimmy Kimmel so it has to be there, I just can't seem to find it...

BigDug13

So AC4 is asking me for an online pass code. I thought Ubisoft wasn't going to force that.

So the online pass is still one time use per purchase?

N.Domixis

Banned
My $0.02

+ Looks very nice on my entertainment center. My only minor quibble are the front facing USB ports ruining the look and the shiny black plastic top left being such a smudge magnet. With my Xbox One coming next week made entirely of glossy black plastic, I shudder to think how much cleaning that would require.

+ Performance as advertised. Games look great and the resolution jump hits you like a truck.

+ Best controller ever (until next week anyhow). I always preferred the 360s controller to nearly anything and never thought I'd say this about a dualshock.

+ Playstation Camera is suprisingly cool. The playroom isn't a system selling must have but its terrific fun and my girlfriend loves it.

+ I don't know why but Netflix and Amazon Instant look much better on my PS4 vs my Roku 3 (I'm guessing something to do with decoding hardware).

- The firmware is half baked. I had to restore the console from safe mode after installing 1.5 made my PS4 go into a catatonic state with a flashing blue light. Luckily safe mode worked and installing the update via the internet from there made things right again.

- Can be a bit noisy in games like Killzone with both fans and the BD going full blast.

- The UI needs some customization options and I'm sure they're coming. I'd rather they focused on stability first.

- They really should have done a better job at getting PSN ready for launch.

Overall I think it is looking like a console with tonnes of potential for years to come. If they'd gotten the firmware/PSN issues taken care of before launch I'd be inclined to call it perfect. It's probably the best example of Sony being one of the best at hardware and design and needing some improvement on software and services. I'm fully expecting my Xbox One next week to be the complete opposite. I expect underwhelming hardware (especially after the PS4) but a much better OS and Network experience.

If only Microsoft and Sony collaborated and released a joint console with Sony doing all the hardware and design and Mircosoft doing the OS and Network.....

In a perfect world with one console, Sony makes hardware, Nintendo makes software, and Microsoft makes OS.

Top Bottom