• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Dante316

So far loving ps4, had few issues that resolved itself. The only thing that's rracking my brain is I really Shouldve got AC4 ...a good single player game is always sweet..

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno if it uses bluetooth, but there is a direct connection option that does not use wifi, that I know for sure.

Remote play is insane though! Played Resogun with no noticeable lag (from what I could tell). My only gripe is the back pad being subsituted for buttons, but I guess there was no other way.
Direct mode still uses WiFi, just not going through your router.

SRTtoZ

Someone was asking earlier how to find out the battery level on the controller and I just figured out you need to hold the PS button on the home screen, then look at the bottom and it shows you.

Diagol

Man, I'm absolutely LOVING the PS4. It seems like such an incredible upgrade after coming from the PS3.

Got Assassin's Creed IV, Contrast, Resogun, Flower and Trine 2. I think I'm set for a good while. :)

I also like how you can see patch notes for each individual game. I found it by clicking Options when highlighting a game, then selecting Update History.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So far loving ps4, had few issues that resolved itself. The only thing that's rracking my brain is I really Shouldve got AC4 ...a good single player game is always sweet..

Its one of the rare few that was a huge last gen release and the cross-gen release for ps4 actually improves everything with a smooth framerate. Most of the time they end up having more problems and feel more janky.

megamerican

Finally got logged in and played some Killzone. Very impressed with both the system and the game. I really like the interface and the install was a breeze. The controller is a massive improvement over the DS3. I love the grips and the triggers, I'm still undecided on the sticks, kind of prefer the 360 sticks but I may grow on them. Very happy that I got this thing.

Jagxyz

I downloaded DCUO from the PS store and I have two DCUO files downloading, one 5gb the other 7gb - is that normal? I've been hearing a lot about DCUO being buggy, so I'm curious.

And if I want to download a game overnight, I should leave the system on and not in standby yeah?

Dante316

Its one of the rare few that was a huge last gen release and the cross-gen release for ps4 actually improves everything with a smooth framerate. Most of the time they end up having more problems and feel more janky.

Only reason I didn't get it was that AC3 really really bored me but I loved AC2 lol.

Is there no secret to actually accessing the store? I'd like to download some games.

I just went to the store from the browser on my PC, "bought" the free apps, and had them download to the PS4. Only tricky part is that it said I didn't have a license -- a quick logout and log back in on the PS4 fixed that.

-PXG-

Besides being kicked back to the dash here and there, my experience so far has been nearly flawless. I guess I'm lucky.

Even if you sign out of PSN, you can still get kicked to the system menu. Is pretty annoying. Other than that, it's fantastic.

Activated ps plus on my bros account how come i cant play online or downloaded game on my account ?
Because you activated it on your bros account.

That said, there are probably a ton of PS Plus members who don't even need their 30 day trials. I'm sure someone could hook you up.

SRTtoZ

I downloaded DCUO from the PS store and I have two DCUO files downloading, one 5gb the other 7gb - is that normal? I've been hearing a lot about DCUO being buggy, so I'm curious.

And if I want to download a game overnight, I should leave the system on and not in standby yeah?

Yes its normal.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Holy shit Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is an incredible game. I haven't played an AC game since AC2, so maybe that has something to do with why I love it so much, but this is such an incredible game to the point I'm kinda shocked it hasn't gotten a bigger response.

SGRX

Got two systems from Amazon, and both updated and are working perfectly. I love the system so far, it's everything I expected it to be. I don't think the rumble is working on my DS4, but I don't use or particularly care for that feature so I don't consider it an issue.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just went to the store from the browser on my PC, "bought" the free apps, and had them download to the PS4. Only tricky part is that it said I didn't have a license -- a quick logout and log back in on the PS4 fixed that.
Yeah, I thought about doing that. I just don't get why the store constantly says it's undergoing maintenance when it seems like it's not.

EDIT: full system reboot fixed it.

Dysun

Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap headset that will work with the PS4?
I was looking at the Best Buy branded Rocketfish headset, anyone tried it out? The pack-in keeps falling out of my ear and driving me insane

Logash

Was waiting for DCUO to finsh so I could sleep. After it was done I realized that the orange light meant that it was on stand by and could have downloaded everything in that mode...

The light on the dualshock is way too bright.

Agreed. They could cut the brightness in half and it would probably still be too bright. When I have the lights off it acts like a beacon for my cats. They want to chase the damned beam all over the place. Which sucks cause its normally pointed in the direction of my TV. Thanks Sony.

Side note, where is my PS Store. Does the PC store work on the PC? I would love to enter in my PS Plus so I could play some multiplayer. Would like to get Resogun too.

Remote play on the Vita is so freaking cool. I've been a happy Vita owner for over a year but having this feature available is icing on the cake.

Thoughts about my entire experience so far:

Twitch.tv streaming is God-like. Was very fun playing and having a few friends hop online and check my stream out. No lag on my end or anything.[/LIST]

Setup and update of the console was smooth as silk, no issues.

I'm very disappointed with some aspects of the UI. Especially for the PSN Store. It's laggy,choppy and not smooth at all. They really need to work on that.

My killzone game crashed. But was fine after restarting it.

The light always being on the controller is really really really stupid and not worth the battery life.

Fnord

So what is the furthest length someone has tried Remote Play so far with it still being playable? I know when mine comes in Wednesday or sooner I will be trying remote play from work ( 25 miles from home ). But would love to see impressions of far away remote play!

I can't speak to over-the-Internet Remote Play, but internal network Remote Play is out-fraking-standing.

Anyone put any time into Super Motherload? I really can't find any impressions out there. There was a demo in the PS4 retail demo units, should have messed around with it.

I've put about 2 hours into it. Definitely a good chill out game. Reminds me a lot of Steamworld Dig, which I loved (I played that before knowing about Motherload). One of the cooler hooks is the smelting system, even though it's pretty vague. Example - if you drill Bronze, then Silver, it becomes Sterling Silver, and you get around $200, instead of $160. There's a shitload of combinations, and you don't get much hint as to what they are.

And the soundtrack is fantastic.

malaphorically

Neo Member
So is every screen shot I take supposed to be automatically shared to my friends in their what's new? I don't think whats new is working correctly yet...

Odrion

Banned
I'm surprised at the lack of downloadable titles on PSN, I swear there was suppose to be more there. Did a significant amount of downloadable games get delayed?

blackflag

I can't even believe how good the DS4 was. I was a total Xbox controller fan boy but I've never felt sticks this precise before. They are just perfect. Triggers are great too.

Remote play has less range than I thought it would but I had a lot of fun playing assassins creed while my son played Lego marvel on the Xbox. Hopefully they can work on the range. Maybe I'll try to set it up differently. I think I was using direct connect

Top Bottom