• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Kovet

i got some corrupted data error its making me re install bf4, other than that the 2 games i played on PSN were amazing amounts of fun, if sony can fix the firmware in these next few days ill be completely satisfied. Biggest fear was losing accuracy and feeling of 360 controller but ds4 puts that to rest while simultaneously giving a better dpad, face buttons, and r1/l1

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something I've noticed in Killzone, BF4 and AC4-

You can press X to skip past all the splash screens. I love this. I wonder if Sony made it a requirement.

I can see the XBone going the opposite direction, not only forbidding you to skip past splash screens, but throwing a few unskippable Arbys and AXE body spray ads every time you load a game.

Everything has been smooth for me. I tried trine 2 demo and it looks amazing. I only played resogun for a bit. Almost done bf4. I might not go multiplayer until they fix that. I kinda feel like I got nothing to play though. I wish I had street fighter. I hope games come out weekly now.

Steel

Banned
The light always being on the controller is really really really stupid and not worth the battery life.

I was wondering if it was just me, or if the controller light was completely obnoxious. At first I just thought I needed to get used to it, I mean the light on the 360 controller(especially when low on batteries) was obnoxious too, but now I'm thinking about getting the electrical tape.

Asking again. So, I never had any friends on the PS3 so I don't know how the activity stuff works. Do I need to do anything on my end to make sure that nothing gets spammed to my friends activity feeds? Like, are they getting trophy notifications, game started and stopped, Etc? I just added a bunch of people today and I don't want to spam them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I had no idea the PS4 had the kind of multitasking that it does. I had Blacklight counting down from 60 for the next mulitplayer map, so I checked out a few Twitch streams and got back in time for the next map to load. Pretty awesome.

Also fullscreen Youtube/GiantBomb vids look good and play smooth, thank gawd.

Asking again. So, I never had any friends on the PS3 so I don't know how the activity stuff works. Do I need to do anything on my end to make sure that nothing gets spammed to my friends activity feeds? Like, are they getting trophy notifications, game started and stopped, Etc? I just added a bunch of people today and I don't want to spam them.

Nah, you're good.

So the console is making noise and had a yellowish orange LED color when I switch to stand by mode. Normal?

Orange means standby, so yeah!

Musolf815

Sorry if this has been said, but is there a fix for the system randomly going to the dynamic menu? Or is there something me and my friends playing are doing wrong?

PTG

i got some corrupted data error its making me re install bf4, other than that the 2 games i played on PSN were amazing amounts of fun, if sony can fix the firmware in these next few days ill be completely satisfied. Biggest fear was losing accuracy and feeling of 360 controller but ds4 puts that to rest while simultaneously giving a better dpad, face buttons, and r1/l1

I got the same corrupted data error message for BF4. Did reinstalling make the error messages go away?

Seik

Banned
A friend came at my place with his PS4. Tried AC4, Resogun and NFS. All looked gorgeous.

Can't wait to have the thing, but I'm waiting for a bundle or something.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My launch day observations, for those on the fence:

+UI is incredibly slick and responsive. Very impressed with this. Just about everything is instant
+The graphics this machine are capable of is unreal. Killzone looks like a high end PC game for half the cost
+Install speed is quick and painless
+After playing the 360 for 6 years, I adjusted to the DS4 quickly. Excellent controller
+I've seen others with issues, but my PS4 has been dead silent all day

-Exclusive games are decent-good, not great
-PSN's been down most of the day
-The lightbar on the controller is stupidly bright. There really needs to be an option to turn it off
-While UI is very quick, there are some organizational issues

Overall, I really, really enjoy the system. I can't wait to see what's coming to the platform. I know others have had major issues, but I haven't had many problems at all. Very excited about the hardware.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I started my BF4 download and got a pop-up 15 minutes later saying download was ready to install. This seemed weird but I clicked on it anyways and now it says it's installing the application, and has been on this screen for 10 minutes.

Can I just get a few peoples experiences with install time? Need for Speed toke 7 hours installing.

I'm kinda thinking even though it says its installing its still downloading files and thats why it toke so long.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I decided to keep my PS4, which meant I needed games for it after all.
Then I went to Target and the only games they had were Battlefield 4, which I already have on PC, and Knack and Madden, which I don't want.
So it was off to Amazon. Oops, they're not matching B2G1 anymore even though it's still going at Target. Ditto for Fry's, who are a pain in the ass to match with anyway.
Welp, onto Craigslist it goes.
EDIT: Hmm, maybe I can just buy games I don't want now and exchange them for ones I want later... I'm torn.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Thing is fucking glorious. Been bingeing since 1 last night and kz and ac4 and fackin reso are all tops...and gorgeous.

I noticed in ac4 that if you hold r2 halfway or like 14 the way down you have levels of jogging you can do. Was that in 3 as well? Looks nice to not have to go from saunter to dead sprint all the time.

The level of on screen animation is crazy. Gifs didny do it justice. So ocean.

Crisco

Banned
Pretty smooth experience so far. Console works great, PSN downloads are fast as shit, Sony really nailed this launch. GG.

Salex_

I started my BF4 download and got a pop-up 15 minutes later saying download was ready to install. This seemed weird but I clicked on it anyways and now it says it's installing the application, and has been on this screen for 10 minutes.

That means it's downloading an update and you can press "Back" then check the download list to see what's going on.

CF22

PSN working flawlessly now and the PS Store is feels very fast, what a difference over the PS3 Store. Loving the PS4, the little things will be fixed and functions added over time. Hoping Rockstar brings GTAV over at 1080p and a good frame rate.

Does anyone know how to remove your name from the dashboard? I tried the facebook integration for kicks, but now instead of my PSN name, it's my real name and PSN name all over the dashboard, no matter what I set the privacy settings to. I'm near tearing my hair out here, someone help =(

Grinchy

Banned
Awesome launch day with the PS4. I played the system form like 6pm - 2am with small breaks in between. I am now exhausted and have to get some sleep soon, but I'm dying to play more.

Killzone is awesome and so is Resogun. They are both so awesome that I haven't been able to pull myself away to try anything else.

a great launch day for me played some killzone and battlefield, downloaded resogun and contrast, went into low power mode and booted back up. ps4 stands up vertically, all without any problems. awesome! only complain psn, fix it please sony.

Noof

So I switched to a different hdmi cable and I'm still having this problem where my audio and video will stutter and then my video comes back but not my audio. Have other people been having this problem? I think I'm gonna have to send my console to Sony...

sirap

can anyone tell me how large asscreed is? that's going to be my first ps4 title (crazy, I know..considering i have titans that are more than capable of running the pc version)

i need an open world game to start my next gen journey. Wish it could have been infamous!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its kind of just hitting me now even after knowing it for months, but browsing channels streaming entire playthroughs of games through the Sony UI is kind of amazing. I mean they have really embraced the notion that these twitch streamers arent going away so rather than sue them, just make it part of the UI. I think that might be a big advertising tool for lesser selling games. Wonder how the sales of games overall get affected by this ecosystem. I could see them adding direct buy links on streams for the games etc

can anyone tell me how large asscreed is? that's going to be my first ps4 title (crazy, I know..considering i have titans that are more than capable of running the pc version)

i need an open world game to start my next gen journey. Wish it could have been infamous!

I believe its 20 gigs install. And if you mean game length then all ass creed games are gigantic. This with the island system is as large as ever.

ryanmac

Banned
Some people are saying gameplay clips DO have audio when using the Share button, but I'm not having this experience. I'm confused.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Looks like I jinxed myself; my PS4 apparently cannot run Battlefield 4. Crashes every time I go to the main menu. wtf

Cade

So, when I left it in standby doing things, it wouldn't display things on my TV after I hit the DS4's PS button to wake it up. I had to reboot it by holding the button down, but now everything is fine. Just buggy firmware?

Looks like I jinxed myself; my PS4 apparently cannot run Battlefield 4. Crashes every time I go to the main menu. wtf

Same thing was happening to me and some other people in the Battlefield thread. Download or Disc? Apparently a reinstall can solve it, but who knows. Originally I made the China Rising file install as soon as it was ready, but now I'll be waiting till after the rest is completely done. Maybe that'd help you as well?

CF22

Assassin's Creed requires 20GB. If you're looking for an open world game NFS is very good as well.

Anyone having problems signing in to PSN? I'm stuck at the Please wait screen and it's been five mins already......

Is there a fix for this?

After the maintenance I've had no problems, working great, it even downloaded the game updates and some other update while in standby. Before I would get a few error messages. Try turning off the PS4 completely and turning it back on, see if that works.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Same thing was happening to me and some other people in the Battlefield thread. Download or Disc? Apparently a reinstall can solve it, but who knows. Originally I made the China Rising file install as soon as it was ready, but now I'll be waiting till after the rest is completely done. Maybe that'd help you as well?

I reinstalled everything, plus redownloaded the update. I'm using a disc. I haven't redeemed the code for China Rising yet

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Short review: Setting up, making a new PSN or whatever account, redeeming PS+/Resogun/Contrast/$10 was flawless, YMMV. Knack is lol, just boring PS2 architecture and character design, you've done it before and were probably annoyed then too. Super Motherload has lost any semblance of design and charm that the flash game (perhaps inadvertently) had. Contrast might be good, and had some glimmers of cleverness in the first few scenes. Resogun is probably pretty good after I looked up what to look for while playing - the manual that didn't really load for several hours is kind of worthless. Flower is like, I guess? Was expecting more in the visual department. Controller is, from someone who skipped PS3 altogether, still a dual shock - still awkward for big hands, still have that constant feeling that I'm going to drop it, but after several hours I was totally used to it. Nevertheless my thumbs are oddly tingly, and it's not as xboxy as I'd like. Overall, a pretty good launch, nice UI, and generous digital goods makes for a solid B+.

Is there some reason the audio through the mic connected to the controller (using Iphone headphones) is only coming through one side? Sorry for my technical ignorance.

Top Bottom