• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Watched a video on youtube, it sounded like talking in a cellphone when they talked to each other in the Party Chat...But it was miles better than I experienced on PS3 =P

That could be YouTube. The quality was great for most of us. We did have one person who could not get their own headset to work right. Bad sound and an echo from them. The rest of us were using the mono mic.

fade_

So the controller is always on? Even while I watch Neflix or a BD, the controller stays on? That's so weird.

You can have it turn off after 10 min idle in power savings options. Turn on the HDMI option on the ps4 to use your tv remote if it has that feature.

Rey

Anyone else feel like the menus and UI were influenced by Polyphony Digital and Gran Turrismo? Some of the noises sound eerily reminiscent...

YES, that's what I was thinking when I was watching the Giant Bomb stream yesterday night. The UI sound sounded exactly like GT3 I believe on PS2.

Bradach

Can you see a video stream of what friends are playing from the PS4 UI?
Remember Shu did that at gamescon. He watched a stream of his friend and then joined the game

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
hmm what do you mean by gamesharing? buying a game on 1 console, then using that account on a different console and redownloading the game?

Yes, but in a different way

You can't do the PS3 GS trick, of 2 activations of the account

So you have to trick the system

You buy BF4 with your buddy, you both put in $30 each
He goes first and DL's BF4, makes the account the primary holder for that PS4, finishes all of BF4 installation
Now the other person goes to SEN website and deactivates the account
Your friend can never ever go into that account again (try to sign in or w/e, he will lose access)
You now go through the same process and the account holding BF4 as the primary

So in a sense, 2 PS4's will have the same account as their primary

So both of you can play at the same time and earn trophies on your main account
The BF4 is just a secondary account on both your PS4's

The one who went second has the luxury of deleting/reinstalling the game as many time as they like, the first one just gets one shot at it

So you can even do $40-$20 to make the cost a little cheaper or even $35-$25 for the person who went first, cause if anything happens, like a hardware failure or hdd fucks up or hell deletes it to make space, they're shit outta luck

Can you see a video stream of what friends are playing from the PS4 UI?
Remember Shu did that at gamescon. He watched a stream of his friend and then joined the game
Go to their activities on the friends section, it shows up in their timeline. It does some weird preview thing where it only lets you watch for a minute or so then it ends and sends you to the Now Live app, which you can find it there too.

Jobbs

Banned
Finally starting on PS4 stuff. Tried earlier but PSN was down.

Initial thoughts.

1) Glad there's a "Library" tab. PS3 had a conspicuous lack of any quick go to listing of all the games you own (whether or not they're currently installed).

2) The controller is outstanding. Sony has basically never changed the controller shape before this, and it's long overdo. We've finally got something modern and ergonomic. The sticks are a bit shorter which makes them feel more precise, and the lip helps. The handles are round and comfortable. The big stand out, though, is the dpad, which is unquestionably the most effective and precise dpad I've ever used. Using the dpad on either 360 or PS3 controller feels difficult and unwieldy by comparison. The dpad on the DS4 is truly a joy.

3) It's nice to surf the PSN store without stuttering. :)

4) Is Warframe worth my time? Same question for this Blacklight thing. Completely unfamiliar with both.

About to try some Killzone. Tomorrow it'll be AC4 and NFSR. I'm hearing good things about AC4 from my friends who are fans of the series (both of whom weren't too keen on AC3 and both of whom held off until PS4 to play this one).

Finally starting on PS4 stuff. Tried earlier but PSN was down.

Initial thoughts.

1) Glad there's a "Library" tab. PS3 had a conspicuous lack of any quick go to listing of all the games you own (whether or not they're currently installed).

2) The controller is outstanding. Sony has basically never changed the controller shape before this, and it's long overdo. We've finally got something modern and ergonomic. The sticks are a bit shorter which makes them feel more precise, and the lip helps. The handles are round and comfortable. The big stand out, though, is the dpad, which is unquestionably the most effective and precise dpad I've ever used. Using the dpad on either 360 or PS3 controller feels difficult and unwieldy by comparison. The dpad on the DS4 is truly a joy.

3) It's nice to surf the PSN store without stuttering. :)

4) Is Warframe worth my time? Same question for this Blacklight thing. Completely unfamiliar with both.

About to try some Killzone. Tomorrow it'll be AC4 and NFSR. I'm hearing good things about AC4 from my friends who are fans of the series (both of whom weren't too keen on AC3 and both of whom held off until PS4 to play this one).

you should get Battlefield 4 for the multiplayer. it is amazing.

Anyone give me a bit of a hand on PSN. Is it down or what?

Is it safe to apply the PS+/$10 credit that I got for buying the console on the online store?

If I buy something form the online store will it automatically start downloading on the PS4 even if I cannot access the store on my PS4?

It got buried before, but does anyone know how to remove your full name from the dashboard, and go back to using ONLY your userid?

The full name is always visible on your end from what I understand. It does not mean it is visible to everyone else.

GraveRobberX

It got buried before, but does anyone know how to remove your full name from the dashboard, and go back to using ONLY your userid?

I think you keep your full name no matter what

Click on your profile, look for the icon with a face and finger on their mouth, should be next to the folder icon
That's privacy settings, use your password and go in and fiddle with all the options that you did at the start when you booted up the PS4 for the first time

I got 2 people asking me to show me my real name, I was like Da' Fuck?
Declined, cause I have no clue who they were, I know they were GAFfers, but I didn't know them like that

Only you can see your own name, no one else can see it unless you want to broadcast it out there
Other people on your FL have to request you to see your real name

Having trouble getting into the Store. Should I just give it a few more tries or what?

Try early tomorrow, I think people are hammering the shit out of PSN

Maybe try in say 4+ hours if you can do it, most late night players should be Zzzzing by then and not many will be on playing in the morning time

Very random thoughts...

I am very happy with the machine. The PS4 itself looks amazing. It was a lot smaller than I was expecting when I took the thing out of the box. It is really quite small. The controller is perfect. I'm really impressed by the quality of the speaker in the controller; the audio logs in Killzone sounded really good coming through that.

I like the UI. It could use some customization options and sorting options, but it works well. That said, the menu bar on the top is wonderful. Remote Play works fantastic. I was in my bed playing Killzone with no obvious lag for a bit while I let my DS4 charge which was pretty awesome. Also, Killzone is fantastic.

I downloaded everything I could today and it all installed seamlessly, which was nice. All in all everything that been pretty painless. I'm impressed, Sony. I'm impressed.

They did a fantastic job.

fade_

Only you can see your name unless you allow people to see it manually. Even if you have it set to nickname only you still see your name on your console.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
My PS4 seems fine. Managed to cruise through the firmware update without problems but got stuck after that with all the PSN shenanigans. It's a little silly that even elements like the library can't seem to function without connecting to PSN. Once PSN was responding again, put a few hours in with Resogun and Shadowfall and haven't had any problems, except on. Shadowfall crashed once in the forest level but it did so fairly gracefully - no hang, just straight back to the OS and it even popped up an error report to send to Sony.

I must've missed it when they announced they were only putting a mono headset in the box. Really disappointed to discover that was the case.

GraveRobberX

Anyone know how to get the mic to work with Astro A50s? I have sound but mic doesn't pic up in party chat

I don't think you can use those yet

They need a new fw update

Right now only the mono headset that plugs into your controller is the way to talk and listen, unless you bought that operator version which was a little more

Even Sony pulse don't work

Anyone thats managed to download and play sound shapes, are the trophies cross platform like they are between Vita & PS3? Could be first PS4 platinum if it is :)

Lucky bastards, still got a 2 week wait here in aus.

GraveRobberX

Anyone thats managed to download and play sound shapes, are the trophies cross platform like they are between Vita & PS3? Could be first PS4 platinum if it is :)

Lucky bastards, still got a 2 week wait here in aus.

Yes Sound Shapes is Insta-Platinum
Proof of me getting it:
0lm1k37.png

http://psnprofiles.com/GraveRobberX

Just cloud sync your game and watch all those Silver Trophies Ping

*DAT PING!*

You also get one of the new DLC packs for free
1 is still unavailable, I still haven't played it yet, that another 15 silver trophies

PS3 + Vita + PS4, 5 silvers each, BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHA!

I pre-ordered a PS4 after excitement over E3. After things calmed down, I realized I didn't want one immediately after launch and I'd rather upgrade my PC. What to do with it? Sell it, make a bit of profit if possible and add that to PC fund. I opened my box today to test the PS4 before selling on Ebay after hearing of those with defective units....btut my god, the system is so damn gorgeous. And the feel of the controller in my hand. And that UI. I don't know if I can give this baby up.

Anyone give me a bit of a hand on PSN. Is it down or what?

Is it safe to apply the PS+/$10 credit that I got for buying the console on the online store?

If I buy something form the online store will it automatically start downloading on the PS4 even if I cannot access the store on my PS4?

The full name is always visible on your end from what I understand. It does not mean it is visible to everyone else.

I think you keep your full name no matter what

Click on your profile, look for the icon with a face and finger on their mouth, should be next to the folder icon
That's privacy settings, use your password and go in and fiddle with all the options that you did at the start when you booted up the PS4 for the first time

I got 2 people asking me to show me my real name, I was like Da' Fuck?
Declined, cause I have no clue who they were, I know they were GAFfers, but I didn't know them like that

Only you can see your own name, no one else can see it unless you want to broadcast it out there
Other people on your FL have to request you to see your real name

Try early tomorrow, I think people are hammering the shit out of PSN

Maybe try in say 4+ hours if you can do it, most late night players should be Zzzzing by then and not many will be on playing in the morning time

Only you can see your name unless you allow people to see it manually. Even if you have it set to nickname only you still see your name on your console.

Well shit. That's going to make recording PS4 a bunch of fun, be terrified of the dashboard, jeez.

GraveRobberX

Its not working, damn X_X

Has your account ever had PS+ before?

That maybe why Yonda

I have PS+ 2018 and tried using my code to stack an extra month but wont letme, even the 7 day trials I think will not work

Yonda do this, use that code on a new account, just create a new shitty one
Make sure to make it a primary as your PS4 account, then just DL all game and play MP for 30 days off that account on your main account

Tell me you called UPS and got this all figured out...

Well, "figured out." All they were willing to say is that they'll start an investigation, which will take around eight business days. Amazon would only say they won't do anything until Monday.

Yeah, I'd be on the phone right now cursing up a storm.

I was. At some point the district office just stopped answering. Even before that, their only response was "Call the 1-800 numbers" whose only response was "Call Amazon." Boy, was I ever pissed.

He didn't steal it, but sometimes they are too lazy to deliver. You probably live in an apartment?

Nope! I live in a house on a street. The UPS truck stopped in front of my house, then left.

Though according to UPS's investigation team, for some reason they did list my address as an apartment in their delivery message. There's no way to get my address confused with an apartment.

fade_

Well shit. That's going to make recording PS4 a bunch of fun, be terrified of the dashboard, jeez.

They actually have a thing where they blur out notifications while youre streaming which is cool. But I assume you mean with your own hardware as you cant stream the UI over twich or anything.

Yondy604

Banned
Has your account ever had PS+ before?

That maybe why Yonda

I have PS+ 2018 and tried using my code to stack an extra month but wont letme, even the 7 day trials I think will not work

Yonda do this, use that code on a new account, just create a new shitty one
Make sure to make it a primary as your PS4 account, then just DL all game and play MP for 30 days off that account on your main account

NM i got it to work! thanks a ton man! i had 2 put it on old account lol

GraveRobberX

I was under the impression that the dashboard could not be streamed via PS4 options. Now if you have a capture card that is completely different.

You can only stream games, no UI/Dashboard stuff

Also there's a 5 sec delay from your live feed and what people are seeing on ustream and twitch

I had my laptop open watching my channel and chatting with people who were watching me play

GraveRobberX

NM i got it to work! thanks a ton man! i had 2 put it on old account lol

If you need an extra for next month let me know, I'll give you mine, next month, just create a new account and repeat the process

Also Black Friday Famestop is having an uber deal for PS+ for 1 year for $30, be good for some of you to pick up a few cards, they stack!

I think amazon might even price match it, might!

They actually have a thing where they blur out notifications while youre streaming which is cool. But I assume you mean with your own hardware as you cant stream the UI over twich or anything.

The things that get blurred are friend requests, messages from someone on your FL or trophies that the dev think would be spoilerish, so the viewing public can't see them

I was streaming NF4 and a Trophy popped for the first mission, I watched on my laptop 5 seconds later it get that box, so I was like ah that's a reason it shows up

It's hilarious PS Eye had voice commands, simple commands but so hilariously awesome

UberTag

Ran into a unique issue with trophy syncing that nobody else seems to have run into.

Although the weird part about it is that it was impacting the local trophy data on the PS4 and I was actually seeing synced updates from trophies unlocked on my PS3 while this error was happening.

Because nothing seemed to correct it and nobody else seems to have encountered this issue, I've resorted to deleting my profile and re-initializing my PS4 in hopes of correcting it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Know what? Video apps need to be removed from the library category. They already have their own permanent fixture. They don't need another one.

Does the DVD player upscale stuff? I'm not in the place to check right now.

GraveRobberX

For people who are buying extended warranties...where are you buying them from? Sony? Squaretrade?

I bought 2 extra years from Squartrade for my PS4, Extra Controller and PS Eye, I think it cost me $50 total for 2 years for all 3

I think if you have PS+ you can get PS4 2 year warranty for $45 no? and if you do it with-in 30 days you can grab the accidental one for $60?

Top Bottom