• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

MilkBeard

Holy fuck Assassin's Creed 4 looks amazing on PS4.

Yeah my favorite part is that it runs at a steady framerate. And man, does the game look beautiful when you are up on top of the buildings with a big view.

Can't wait for the 1080p + AA patch. This game is gonna be a beaut.

Silurus

My early thoughts:

Postivies:

- Love the new controller!

- Love the UI and layout. Much friendlier and easier to navigate

- Console itself is gorgeous and much smaller then I expected.

- Resogun and killzone have been fun so far.

Negatives

- Only really one and its HUGE for me. I guess its partially cause I just bought an x51 last year but the graphics on all the games I've played have seriously and utterly disappointed me. Killzone most of all. I really don't think its all that impressive. I haven't played a whole lot but so far its been a monumental disappointment in the graphics department.

Overall Im not unhappy I bought the system but I do feel like I'm highly disappointed in the real world performance so far. I know it will get better but I feel like I ultimately am going to upgrade my computer sooner then I thought and probably only touch my ps4 for exclusives.

Did you not see videos of the gfx before you bought one? How can it be a surprise.

BigDug13

Huh. I see so many jaggies it's ridiculous. I actually thought it looked pretty bad in comparison to KZ and BF4.

I see "some" just like I see "some" in Killzone. I'm sitting 5' from my 60" LED TV in the bedroom as I was playing. I also use this same TV for PC gaming sitting the same distance away.

I thought AC4 looked pretty good compared to other PC games I've played with AA turned on.

But like I said, the real selling point of this is the framerate improvement which just shits on the previous gen versions of the game.

MilkBeard

Huh. I see so many jaggies it's ridiculous. I actually thought it looked pretty bad in comparison to KZ and BF4.

Yeah it does have some jaggies, but the game is actually going to be getting a 1080p patch plus a new method of AA will be applied. I'm really curious to see the result because the game already looks quite good for the most part.

Jonm1010

Banned
Did you not see videos of the gfx before you bought one? How can it be a surprise.
For whatever reason they seemed much better when I watched them on my computer. But my guess is going from a computer to my giant plasma is what did it.

I'm not mad I bought it because it's Sonys exclusives I'm investing in, but I'm just disappointed in the graphics is all.

Danziger

Was cleaning my entertainment center and took some pics of the PS family.
DSC_0017_zps609f6934.jpg
DSC_0023_zpsa6971ab5.jpg

This is a fantastic vision!!

missing only PSOne! :)

creyas

Was cleaning my entertainment center and took some pics of the PS family.

Maimed your PS2 tray for swap magic or just the logo missing? Can't make it out. I've done that to my launch console (regret), but still got the front tucked away. Something snapped when removing it, so i've got to glue it. :(

Just found my PSP which i thought was gone for good, PS1, PS2, PS3, (PS4), Vita and PSP reporting in for the tower of power.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
For whatever reason they seemed much better when I watched them on my computer. But my guess is going from a computer to my giant plasma is what did it.

I'm not mad I bought it because it's Sonys exclusives I'm investing in, but I'm just disappointed in the graphics is all.

Just gotta compare to another console.

It's already clear that this gen's consoles are not starting out of the gate more powerful than PC's, and they aren't going to get any more powerful. Optimization and exclusivity will prove whether anything on console is worth it compared to PC versions, but you can't expect your PC with a GPU nearing the cost of the entire console to be playing in the same league as said console.

Be happy you can say you've seen better and enjoy the experience. Resogun isn't on PC!

Keylow415

Maimed your PS2 tray for swap magic or just the logo missing? Can't make it out. I've done that to my launch console (regret), but still got the front tucked away. Something snapped when removing it, so i've got to glue it. :(

Just found my PSP which i thought was gone for good, PS1, PS2, PS3, (PS4), Vita and PSP reporting in for the tower of power.

Swap Magic for my Japanese games.

Edgeward

I booted up my PS4 from standby and I had no sound. Completely no sound from the main menu to when I activated warframe. Just complete silence. I had to then just shut off the PS4 completely and turn it right back on and then the sound came back. It was pretty weird

BigDug13

I booted up my PS4 from standby and I had no sound. Completely no sound from the main menu to when I activated warframe. Just complete silence. I had to then just shut off the PS4 completely and turn it right back on and then the sound came back. It was pretty weird

I've had sound issues as well, especially after making a sound setting change like unchecking DD and checking DTS. It's like it needs a soft reboot to standby and back at least to make the changes kick in.

I am happy that the optical cable and HDMI can output sound simultaneously, so that's a nice upgrade from PS3's "either-or" setting.

Jobbs

Banned
I want to marry this controller.

Warframe is a pleasant surprise, too, I tried it out on a whim and had a really good time (so far). Feels like PSO in space and with guns. Wait.. Okay, it feels like PSO but a bit different.

HORRORSHØW

That's been happening to me off and on, too.

Vizzeh

Banned
Compared to PS3 since I redbox'd it on PS3 first:

AC4 has MUCH smoother framerates on PS4. Even in the city of Havana which was notoriously bad for framerates on PS3, causing you to have a tough time wrestling with the controls to get your character to do simple thing is completely eliminated. It was a breeze in comparison to do the roof running, jumping, fighting, etc.

Better weather effects and water. Higher res textures and fantastic AA (AA is so good that nobody even noticed it was 900p until Ubisoft told us...I see less jaggies than the campaign of Killzone almost (though the graphics are obviously not at the same level overall, but still...))

More flora/vegetation.

That's about it, but it's not a small difference. The framerates are so improved from current gen consoles that it feels almost like a new game. A PC with beefy hardware will obviously do better, but it's a solid framerate that is superior to current gen console performance by a mile.

I believe UBI, said it has a 1080p patch (either day 1 or coming, cant remember but deffo)

Also Ubi designed a better AA for it, also included in the patch

when you guys do get your PS4's i suggest taking a look at the HDMI port before you slam a cord in. I noticed one of the shielding tabs was a touch high in comparison to the other one. it really did look like it might catch on the male jack of HDMI cord..

59ar.jpg

Checking in now since I just got unbanned..

Got my 2 PS4s from Amazon on Friday at about 11am, swapped the stock drives out for HGST 1.5TB drives and had a scare, when I tried to do the updates on both of them I had it say "an error has occurred" and I was unable to update them. Turns out that the PS4s didn't like my Corsair USB 3.0 USB flash drive and I went out, got a cheap Lexar thumb drive and it worked fine. It took an ETERNITY to download all of my purchased games once the PSN finally went up but they eventually made it and I've been enjoying them,

COD Ghosts looks gorgeous post-patch. Whoever says 1080p doesn't matter hasn't seen this game in 1080p.

Knack has impressed me. It's a difficult game, the jumping can be a pain, but it's growing on me.

Killzone's SP is fun as hell to me. I love how open ended it's been so far and can't believe it got reviews as low as it did. Still waiting on the Multiplayer download to finish though.

Battlefield 4 SP looks as great as the original 60FPS trailer did to me. I'm blown away by it and am grateful to finally be playing it on a console at 60FPS.

fl0wer is godly at 1080p/60.

I am loving the UI and the way everything works.

I have to wonder how people with 500GB drives will manage their storage later down the line though when their collections of games accumulate. It could be difficult with how big these games are. I don't know why Sony didn't think that through and build the console with a full size drive bay so we could put 4TB drives in it. They're discouraging people from buying a large amount of games.

Brashnir

I have to wonder how people with 500GB drives will manage their storage later down the line though when their collections of games accumulate. It could be difficult with how big these games are. I don't know why Sony didn't think that through and build the console with a full size drive bay so we could put 4TB drives in it. They're discouraging people from buying a large amount of games.

It's like a fridge.

I've checked and double checked this now and I am certain:

My PS4 is not outputting RGB Full Range correctly, even when the settings are Full in the settings menu. It's stuck on Limited no matter what I do.

Please fix this, Sony.

Vizzeh

Banned
I've checked and double checked this now and I am certain:

My PS4 is not outputting RGB Full Range correctly, even when the settings are Full in the settings menu. It's stuck on Limited no matter what I do.

Please fix this, Sony.

This gonna be a balls for me, Since I use VGA on the back of my TV for absolutely no input lag/post processing.....

VGA = Needing full

AmyS

Okay, I am prepared to try PSN. I do not have a PSN account yet. I've got the PlayStation Plus 30 day trial, as well as the $50 1 year I bought with the system.

I'm assuming I should start with the 30 day trial, and that they do not stack, correct ?

I also assume it would be better to sign up for PSN on my PC rather than with the PS4 itself, correct?

Let me know.

It's currently 5:12 am CST / 6:12 EST

ILoveBish

Okay, I am prepared to try PSN. I do not have a PSN account yet. I've got the PlayStation Plus 30 day trial, as well as the $50 1 year I bought with the system.

I'm assuming I should start with the 30 day trial, and that they do not stack, correct ?

I also assume it would be better to sign up for PSN on my PC rather than with the PS4 itself, correct?

Let me know.

It's currently 5:12 am CST / 6:12 EST

Use the 30 day first then the 1 year. They will stack in that order.

I wanted to test this but was unsure how to view images on the PS4. does F:\PS4\photos still work on USB drives?

It should, but all you have to do is turn the PS4 on and look at the PlayStation logo against what should be a black background. Alternatively, start Killzone and look at the Guerilla Games logo against what should be a black background. It's quite blatantly gray instead of black for me in these cases. I know it's not my TV, receiver, or other sources because everything else in my home theater is set to Full Range and works correctly, including my PS3.

Loving the console and have had no real problems. But there quite a lot of things that are just plain odd and feels a bit rushed.

And it boggles my mind that there is no other theme for the console. It seems to be a given that it would be there.

My big wants are:
- themes... Or atleast no blue.
- smaller icons, whys it so big?
- no folders or any organization... What is with this trend of just throwing everything in a big pile? Who likes this?! Do people get intimidated by organizing?
- you have to shutdown your game to run netflix
- the worst most horrible thing: usb sticks dont work. I would run video off usb practically every day on ps3... Now i have to keep my ps3 ready until it is fixed

Also, no demos? Weird. And some things take way too many button presses to get to. Also some things are so confusing! "This program is ready to install!!" Click it and takes you to notifications, then you go and click on the thing "this is installing" no loading bar. Then "its ready to install!" Then it says installed. But has the notification still there. Then some games just play without installing... Where do you install? Is it already installed? Is it installing while I play? Why wont you tell me anything?!

Overall I am happy. These things can be fixed easily.

AC4 really helps sink in how much nextgen is needed and it feels like a lastgen game, which is so weird! And it does seem higher res than ac3 for sure... But it isnt 1080? Is it 900? Hmm...

Logistic

Is anyone having issues with the PSN Store being down?

I didn't buy any launch games and all of PSN was down last night (for a few hours). Went to bed and this morning I still can't browse the store.

ILoveBish

I didn't buy any launch games and all of PSN was down last night (for a few hours). Went to bed and this morning I still can't browse the store.

It was down for me about 6 hours ago. It went back up 2 hours later and I was able to que up my games. They are still downloading while system is in standby.

Logistic

It was down for me about 6 hours ago. It went back up 2 hours later and I was able to que up my games. They are still downloading while system is in standby.

Are you able to currently browse the store? I'm getting "down for maintenance" messages on the PSN Store.

Thanks!

X-Frame

I am trying to set my console up for the first time and I am trying to log into my PSN name, but I have been at the "Please wait..." screen for about 15 minutes.

How long should I leave it like this before I back out and try again?

Logistic

I am trying to set my console up for the first time and I am trying to log into my PSN name, but I have been at the "Please wait..." screen for about 15 minutes.

How long should I leave it like this before I back out and try again?

I also set up my PS4 this morning. It took a few minutes to accept my PSN info (definitely not 15 though). I believe they are still having network issues this morning.

Top Bottom