• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Vespene

Seems that after 8 years, Sony still hasn't thought it's important to be able to join a friend's multiplayer session.

I'm rather disappointed with the lack of cohesiveness between video apps. There seems to be no default keyboard between the different apps.

On the upside, typing with six axis is wonderful.

Overall I think Xbone's UI is aesthetically superior. We'll see how it compares functionally in the coming weeks.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
God damn Resogun, I love you so much.

My left thumb is developing the smallest of blisters. Stop hurting me because I love you.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How do I check the status (%) of a game (disc) install?

Put your disc in and boot up the game, you will see the %

Like when I upgraded my BF4 from PS3 to PS4

When it was DL'ing the full game, I inserted the disc, went in and it showed that Campaign was 100% ready to go but everything else was like @83%

Which was awesome to see, same thing for Ghosts

Just like how you can pick and choose to DL the MP or SP portion, on the upgrade side, SP goes first and MP follows suit

I am fucking in love with this console

Yes, same here loving this thing already. :)

Not sure if it's been asked but can anyone confirm 3d bluray and mp4 video playback are in fw1.5 or not?

No luck with a couple I tried so far.

But on the topic of 3D, Trine 2: Complete Story is out and the game indeed works in 3D, pretty gorgeous!

Holy fuck Assassin's Creed 4 looks amazing on PS4.

Just started it and totally agree, I need to play more of it tomorrow. Too many games :D
Dredd still does not work, just like it does not work on the ps3. The disc cannot be recognized. It really pisses me off, but whatever. The other 3D movies I tried went off without a hitch.

No idea on mp3s, sorry.

Which 3D blu-ray movie(s) worked for you? I had no luck with either Man of Steel or Iron Man 3, will try some older ones tomorrow.

GraveRobberX

Word, I've been playing this more then everything else played wit my cousin earlier and playing wit ma brother now.

Have you tried Veteran mode, Holy Shit!

That multiplier goes away so fucking fast ; ;

You literally have to learn the fucking pattern and be on the right side when those special things spawn to unlock the humans from the boxes....

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooking earbuds into the ds4 and getting game audio is a killer feature, omg

Yes!

This is a huuuge feature to me. Was playing Killzone with headphones while my wife fell asleep on the couch lol.

I'm 5 or so hours into Killzone and am enjoying the game. It's obviously not perfect but I don't see how the game is scoring pretty low. Should be 8+ in my book. Oh well, doesn't matter because I'm enjoying it and I'm sure lots of you are too.

Madden 25 Sucks though I like Madden 13 better, but maybe I just need more time. Seriously disappointed in the graphics, not a strong effort on Tiburon's part.

I keep thinking about how amazing the games will be in a couple years with this hardware, plus the quality library of games the PS4 will have. I'm looooving this console, really couldn't be happier!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
5 hours later, and my BF4 download has gone from 10 gig to 14 gig.

This better be because PSN is slammed. This is exactly like my PS3 at this point.

Donos

I had no intentions to buy a PS4 before 2014 but seeing all this twitch streams with the UI and games, the techgeek in me is screaming to crash my bank account. And damn NBA 2k14 looks insane even on the stream.

mollipen

Know what? Video apps need to be removed from the library category. They already have their own permanent fixture. They don't need another one.

I disagree. Having them in the Library is fine, if we're considering that the Library is basically "here's everything you've bought or downloaded". They don't need to be removed, that Library needs proper filtering options. Say, Games / Apps / DLC / Other, or something along those lines.

Biggest UI problems I have as of right now are:
* No easy way to instantly find what game disc is in the system
* No easy way to instantly find what game is suspended
* No sorting of main interface list beyond "last used" sorting
* No way to better organize that main list
* No filtering for Library
* No real concept of Pins/Favorites
* Some actions take too many clicks (such as accepting requests)
* No option for changing background color
* Other things I'm forgetting at the moment

Simplest fix, in my eyes, is to give downloaded games a category box, like video services have. If absolutely nothing else was done, that would make it so that the main list of boxes would be short enough that you wouldn't have to hunt for things after downloading more than a few items.

I mean, I'm at I think four downloaded games at this point, and I already feel that list is getting too long and chaotic.

Banfield

Neo Member
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but this is a big thread. If you turn on HDMI cec, the console will wake up from standby when you switch to its input.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
it is. no worries.

I hope so. I'm reading people in this thread who seem to have downloaded the whole thing in an hour or so, though. On my connection, I should be able to grab 36 gigs in an hour and a half.

I really need to switch out my drive ASAP. Between BF4 and NFS, it'll take me about 2 days to get those games again once I switch.

Seems that after 8 years, Sony still hasn't thought it's important to be able to join a friend's multiplayer session.

I'm rather disappointed with the lack of cohesiveness between video apps. There seems to be no default keyboard between the different apps.

On the upside, typing with six axis is wonderful.

Overall I think Xbone's UI is aesthetically superior. We'll see how it compares functionally in the coming weeks.

You can join their session. You just go to their profile and join session lol.

Keylow415

Was cleaning my entertainment center and took some pics of the PS family.
DSC_0017_zps609f6934.jpg
DSC_0023_zpsa6971ab5.jpg

GraveRobberX

So what's different/improved if you get Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 instead of something else?

The sails are more clothy!

DAT WIND GUST!

Sry if this was asked before, but are there any demos of (retail)games on PSN?

Crazy enough I don't think so

Only thing out there that even is remotely demo oriented is the F2P stuff, but you need to DL the whole game lol

ILoveBish

All of the talk of defective systems was scaring the crap out of me. Thankfully, of the 4 systems between myself and family members, 0 defects, all working perfect. I got all my games que'd up and put it in stand-by mode for it to download them while in low power. I'll check up on it in a bit to make sure its downloading. So far, extremely impressed with the hardware, the speed of the ui is blazing, and i just really love it. Just need some games to finish downloading so i can play!

Oh and remote play is insane, works flawlessly.

Mr.Fresh

Have you tried Veteran mode, Holy Shit!

That multiplier goes away so fucking fast ; ;

You literally have to learn the fucking pattern and be on the right side when those special things spawn to unlock the humans from the boxes....

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea we were playing coop and doing it and trying to save all the humans. Lol I see my self playing this for the rest of this gen.

broony

Can anyone who has made the switch from xbox comment on how they are finding the ps4 party system for multiplayer? How has it compared to the xbox experience?

Neverfade

Can anyone who has made the switch from xbox comment on how they are finding the ps4 party system for multiplayer? How has it compared to the xbox experience?

Cross party chat is great and works fine.

How games handle joining as a group seems to be a on a per game basis. I've heard (not experienced) that its fine in Killzone, but its a goddamn nightmare in Battlefield -- although I suspect its more DICE/EA's fault. Not sure.

NoTacos

Can someone explain to me how game saves work on PS4? Are they locally stored or uploaded to the cloud via PS+?

Asking because when SEN went down for maintenance earlier, I tried accessing single player on BF4 and it started the campaign from the beginning.

Plumpman

Anyone have trouble with PSN account information being stuck in "limbo"?

My brother tried creating his new account, it borked halfway through with a network error.
Now he can't sign in (says incorrect password), and when he goes to create an account, it says the email is in use already.

Anything he can do?

PS. I tried Sony live chat support, and they did absolutely nothing except say "use different information". Seems like a poor solution, he wants to use his main email address.

Bradach

Go to their activities on the friends section, it shows up in their timeline. It does some weird preview thing where it only lets you watch for a minute or so then it ends and sends you to the Now Live app, which you can find it there too.

And does my friend have to be broadcasting their game or is it just streamed automatically?

(I'm very patiently awaiting the EU PS4 launch btw)

george_us

Man I haven't stayed up this late playing video games in a long, long time. Probably the most fun I've had with a launch console since the Dreamcast.

Seik

Banned
Was it confirmed if GTAV comes to PS4?

Trying the console today made me wonder how beautiful and fluid this game would be. Damn.

The only thing I'm noticing is shutdown times when powering off. Longer than I'd normally expect to wait, it throws me off.

I just timed it... I guess it's only 13 seconds...

BigDug13

So what's different/improved if you get Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 instead of something else?

Compared to PS3 since I redbox'd it on PS3 first:

AC4 has MUCH smoother framerates on PS4. Even in the city of Havana which was notoriously bad for framerates on PS3, causing you to have a tough time wrestling with the controls to get your character to do simple thing is completely eliminated. It was a breeze in comparison to do the roof running, jumping, fighting, etc.

Better weather effects and water. Higher res textures and fantastic AA (AA is so good that nobody even noticed it was 900p until Ubisoft told us...I see less jaggies than the campaign of Killzone almost (though the graphics are obviously not at the same level overall, but still...))

More flora/vegetation.

That's about it, but it's not a small difference. The framerates are so improved from current gen consoles that it feels almost like a new game. A PC with beefy hardware will obviously do better, but it's a solid framerate that is superior to current gen console performance by a mile.

cdkee

Banned
Compared to PS3 since I redbox'd it on PS3 first:

AC4 has MUCH smoother framerates. Even in the city of Havana which was notoriously bad for framerates on PS3, causing you to have a tough time wrestling with the controls to get your character to do simple thing is completely eliminated. It was a breeze in comparison to do the roof running, jumping, fighting, etc.

Better weather effects and water. Higher res textures and fantastic AA (AA is so good that nobody even noticed it was 900p until Ubisoft told us...I see less jaggies than the campaign of Killzone almost (though the graphics are obviously not at the same level overall, but still...))

More flora/vegetation.

That's about it, but it's not a small difference. The framerates are so improved from current gen consoles that it feels almost like a new game. A PC with beefy hardware will obviously do better, but it's a solid framerate that is superior to current gen console performance by a mile.

Huh. I see so many jaggies it's ridiculous. I actually thought it looked pretty bad in comparison to KZ and BF4.

Jonm1010

Banned
My early thoughts:

Postivies:

- Love the new controller!

- Love the UI and layout. Much friendlier and easier to navigate

- Console itself is gorgeous and much smaller then I expected.

- Resogun and killzone have been fun so far.

Negatives

- Only really one and its HUGE for me. I guess its partially cause I just bought an x51 last year but the graphics on all the games I've played have seriously and utterly disappointed me. Killzone most of all. I really don't think its all that impressive. I haven't played a whole lot but so far its been a monumental disappointment in the graphics department.

Overall Im not unhappy I bought the system but I do feel like I'm highly disappointed in the real world performance so far. I know it will get better but I feel like I ultimately am going to upgrade my computer sooner then I thought and probably only touch my ps4 for exclusives.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Negatives

- Only really one and its HUGE for me. I guess its partially cause I just bought an x51 last year but the graphics on all the games I've played have seriously and utterly disappointed me. Killzone most of all. I really don't think its all that impressive. I haven't played a whole lot but so far its been a monumental disappointment in the graphics department.

Overall Im not unhappy I bought the system but I do feel like I'm highly disappointed in the real world performance so far. I know it will get better but I feel like I ultimately am going to upgrade my computer sooner then I thought and probably only touch my ps4 for exclusives.

Killzone impressed me and I played Crysis 3 at mostly high/some ultra, I play BF4 at ultra settings.

Do you really not find it impressive? What about it do you find lacking? I think it's incredible for a console title personally.

Do you guys put the ps4 in standbye mode at night or turn it all the way off?
I turn mine Off off. Force of habit, really, but it's also not in it's final location in the game center at the moment. Until there are new games being steadily released where I'll want them to wake the system and download, I'll continue to avoid standby.

I disagree. Having them in the Library is fine, if we're considering that the Library is basically "here's everything you've bought or downloaded". They don't need to be removed, that Library needs proper filtering options. Say, Games / Apps / DLC / Other, or something along those lines.

Biggest UI problems I have as of right now are:
* No easy way to instantly find what game disc is in the system
* No easy way to instantly find what game is suspended
* No sorting of main interface list beyond "last used" sorting
* No way to better organize that main list
* No filtering for Library
* No real concept of Pins/Favorites
* Some actions take too many clicks (such as accepting requests)
* No option for changing background color
* Other things I'm forgetting at the moment

Simplest fix, in my eyes, is to give downloaded games a category box, like video services have. If absolutely nothing else was done, that would make it so that the main list of boxes would be short enough that you wouldn't have to hunt for things after downloading more than a few items.

I mean, I'm at I think four downloaded games at this point, and I already feel that list is getting too long and chaotic.

Here's hoping those will appear on a future firmware update. tweeted yosh about your concerns?

Top Bottom