• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Azzokk

Neo Member
Left work, picked up said PS4, updated via USB, and played some Ass Creed 4...WOW! Tried out a little bit KZ:SF, but my console shooting skills suckkkkk!

I also gave the video recording, trimming and uploading a try and that got addictive, so much so that I got an funny tweet from a friend to stop posting. (Yes I made up the "gamer" section on facebook to upload too)

So all in all I am very very happy with my purchase.

Anyone willing to trade me a PC-redeemable code for 1 month of PS+ for my code which can only be used on the PS4 itself? I want to start dem downloads today while at work, and it's killing me :(

i have the 7 day trial from killzone. unsure if it works for the store

just be warned to cancel as it'll default you to auto renewal for 3 months. you can cancel that in the sen management page.

After reading about so many issues (BLoD oh nooo) I was scared to open my PS4 but I did it anyway and...

I'm impressed and I am excited for the future with this thing. Zero issues out of the box so far, extremely easy setup, and everything about it aside from the store (still laggy but maybe not quite as bad as on the PS3?) is absolutely slick.

Controller is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. I like it a lot more than the DS3. I didn't really mind the DS3 either besides the triggers. Anyway this controller is awesome 9 Ho hos out of 10. Why the hell is there no option to turn off that light?? The light itself does not bother me it's the simple fact there is no option to turn it off.

Netflix on PS4 is amazing. Extremely slick and fast. Even better than PS3 (unless it's been updated recently on PS3 as well I haven't checked).

Resogun is fantastic. I am NOT a fan of games like this usually but this is so simple and looks great and is very addictive almost immediately. VERY fun and a perfect launch title.

That's about it so far, only other complaint I have at the moment is that when I was on the Store it wasn't apparent that I was already a PS+ member. No '+' symbol by my name or anything. Plus games were still free and everything worked fine though.

I timed my downloads for the apps/games I grabbed. I started them all at once basically so they were all going at the same time which obviously probably effected the times (this is all over wi-fi):

Netflix: 1 minute
Contrast has 2 separate downloads
223MB download: 7 minutes 40 seconds
2342MB download: 41 minutes
Resogun: 461MB in 15 minutes

I have not stuck in a game/movie yet but will be doing so after I get some sleep. As for noise level it is very quiet. My opinion on this could well change though once I pop some discs in.

potam

Banned
i have the 7 day trial from killzone. unsure if it works for the store

just be warned to cancel as it'll default you to auto renewal for 3 months. you can cancel that in the sen management page.

The 7 day KZ trial doesn't work from a PC either, unfortunately :(

Derrick01

Banned
So my PS4 is currently sitting in a UPS facility 30 minutes from me but I have to wait until Monday because derp UPS doesn't work on a weekend. In 2014 (almost). I can't even pick it up personally. The amount of stupidity surrounding this launch is almost too much for me.

Phreaker

Anybody only get Error CE-35234-7 when trying to stream to Twitch? (The connection to the server has been lost.) - before it ever really start. I have tried most games and played with the quality settings for streaming, but nothing seems to work.

jaaz

I may be stupid, but I can't figure out to allow some PSN friends to share my game library. Do I have to add them as sub-users?

garrickk

Last night I put my PS4 in standby mode. This morning the system was turned off and I had to hit the power button on the console twice to cut it on. Freaked me out. It also stated that the system wasn't properly shutdown?
Mine installed quite a bit last night and was in standby this morning

Any chance you had a spurious power trip overnight?

Anybody only get Error CE-35234-7 when trying to stream to Twitch? (The connection to the server has been lost.) - before it ever really start. I have tried most games and played with the quality settings for streaming, but nothing seems to work.

Is your twitch account still associated with justin.tv? Thats the issue . Log into your account on a phone or pc and see if it redirects to justin.tv. If it does make a new twitch account

PS4 worked flawlessly from the start.

I'm loving this machine so far: KZ looks amazing, Resogun is awesome, the Netflix app is sooo good, everything seems fast and smooth, the DS4 is the best controller I've ever used.

Need to decide what game to get next. Got my PS+ freebies, the FTP games, and KZ.

dantehemi

Trying to sign in to psn network for the first time, and it says it's under maintenance. I'm trying to use my ps3 sign in and am unsure what to do, I want to start playing and download resogun...and I missing something here?

Also unless I sign in to my account on psn, I shouldn't jump too deep into any games...correct? I will lose all progress once I get my account actually working?

Anyone willing to trade me a PC-redeemable code for 1 month of PS+ for my code which can only be used on the PS4 itself? I want to start dem downloads today while at work, and it's killing me :(

Do you mean the one that came with the system? You can have my code if so. Just pm me

EGOMON

After reading about so many issues (BLoD oh nooo) I was scared to open my PS4 but I did it anyway and...

I'm impressed and I am excited for the future with this thing. Zero issues out of the box so far, extremely easy setup, and everything about it aside from the store (still laggy but maybe not quite as bad as on the PS3?) is absolutely slick.

Controller is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. I like it a lot more than the DS3. I didn't really mind the DS3 either besides the triggers. Anyway this controller is awesome 9 Ho hos out of 10. Why the hell is there no option to turn off that light?? The light itself does not bother me it's the simple fact there is no option to turn it off.

Netflix on PS4 is amazing. Extremely slick and fast. Even better than PS3 (unless it's been updated recently on PS3 as well I haven't checked).

Resogun is fantastic. I am NOT a fan of games like this usually but this is so simple and looks great and is very addictive almost immediately. VERY fun and a perfect launch title.

That's about it so far, only other complaint I have at the moment is that when I was on the Store it wasn't apparent that I was already a PS+ member. No '+' symbol by my name or anything. Plus games were still free and everything worked fine though.

I timed my downloads for the apps/games I grabbed. I started them all at once basically so they were all going at the same time which obviously probably effected the times (this is all over wi-fi):

Netflix: 1 minute
Contrast has 2 separate downloads
223MB download: 7 minutes 40 seconds
2342MB download: 41 minutes
Resogun: 461MB in 15 minutes

I have not stuck in a game/movie yet but will be doing so after I get some sleep. As for noise level it is very quiet. My opinion on this could well change though once I pop some discs in.
Nice, thanks for the impression dude, looks like PS4 is really that good :)

Smidget

Hmm, it says I uploaded a video to Facebook but I don't see it on my Facebook on the computer. Does it take some time to get there?

So, is PSN up, but the PSN store down? I keep getting that E-82000002 message since yesterday. I was briefly able to log in to download contrast/resogun, but not since. No netflix or dlc for me.
East coast here.

So my PS4 is currently sitting in a UPS facility 30 minutes from me but I have to wait until Monday because derp UPS doesn't work on a weekend. In 2014 (almost). I can't even pick it up personally. The amount of stupidity surrounding this launch is almost too much for me.

your shipping center isnt open on Saturdays for pickup? Though I guess if you haven't already put a Will Call on your package the day before then wouldn't hold it for you :/

Anybody know how to turn off the controller while watching a movie or when the system is on and you aren't playing a game? When I hold the ps button, I don't get that option like on the ps3.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
While watching Blu-Rays is it like on PS3, that you are going to be logged of from PSN and have no Notifications or are they now plopping in, like on Xbox 360?

TheMink

This is, without a doubt, the best UI i have ever used.

Also side note, any people who's main accounts are technically sub accounts?
My main is a sub that i didn't realize was a sub at the time, it wasn't ever a problem until i tried to share a vid.

It says I'm not allowed to do it as a sub account, i went to the master and it said that my sub account was allowed to share and look at vids. Went back to my account and it still didnt work.

Anyone else? I suspect this isnt a very common problem though because of the whole sub account thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Not sure if it's a glitch or if my PS Button is faulty or something but:

So sometimes when I'm in a game or something it would back out and go to the very first item on the XMB. A lot of times it does this when I go on the top part of the menu it would just go straight back to the first item which only happens when you press the home button.

It would also do the PSN is under maintenance after some of these trips back to the first item.

Is this normal?

In a perfect world, you could test another controller but others have been reporting this as a PSN glitch. It keeps signing people in and out and kicking them to the menu, simulating a PS Home press.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just played random games for like 9 hrs straight. Ps4 is everything I expected and some. Its not all perfect, but i look forward to seeing where the next few firmware updates take us. And I can't wait for more indie games.

Going to sleep now.

Anybody know how to turn off the controller while watching a movie or when the system is on and you aren't playing a game? When I hold the ps button, I don't get that option like on the ps3.

There is a setting to turn the ds4 off after a set time of inactivity. That's why I did. Set it to 10 min

j-wood

In a perfect world, you could test another controller but others have been reporting this as a PSN glitch. It keeps signing people in and out and kicking them to the menu, simulating a PS Home press.

I think the problem is SEN going in and out. Every time that happens to me the maintenance message pops up. So fucking annoying.

undecided

According to the search engine of this board, you're the first who mentioned the word "wheel" in this thread. I guess the chances of someone buying NFS and owning a wheel are pretty slim. A damn shame, as I'd love to know the same.

I have NFS and a Logitech ps3 wheel. I hadn't considered trying it, but I will and will post the results in a bit.

Sorian

Banned
May have been covered already but I didn't see it when I jumped around a few pages. So I have the elite pulse headsets which I understood to work for both PS3 and PS4. Does the PS4 not read from the dongle correctly or am I doing something wrong. I know I could send all audio to the controller and then plug it into the controller directly but I feel that it was intended to work from the dongle, same as the PS3. At the moment, when I plug it in and turn on the wireless on the headset, I get a message saying "this device is not supported"

hows everyone like their PS4?

while i like mine i am just not blown away like i thought that i would. i played call of duty and battlefield last night and while the graphics are great, the game play was just like run around and shoot people. no strategy at all. now while i'm not great at though kind of games i know that i don't suck that bad.

now played nba 2k last night and spent the most time with that. game is great. only thing i don't like about it is they changed all the menus. on and i tried playing online and it was supper choppy.

killzone was pretty nice. played a round online and it was nice. graphics were good and it had some strategy to it. going to try the campaign later today.

maybe i just expected a lot more than i got, i don't know. wondering if the Xbox One will be better now, i don't know.

just a few little thoughs.

DTSAirmaN

Banned
I finally made it into Warframe this morning. I enjoyed it! Played with 3 others...made it through the first mission. Pretty solid controls as well.

Ran Ran

Just played ghosts, wow does it look better than PS3. Also, does it feel natural for anyone else to use the DS4 triggers for shooting now instead of L1/R1?

First time I played KZ I instinctively used L1/R1 to fire, but after a few minutes of using the L2/R2 I didn't have any problems and it feels just as good.

Loudninja

May have been covered already but I didn't see it when I jumped around a few pages. So I have the elite pulse headsets which I understood to work for both PS3 and PS4. Does the PS4 not read from the dongle correctly or am I doing something wrong. I know I could send all audio to the controller and then plug it into the controller directly but I feel that it was intended to work from the dongle, same as the PS3. At the moment, when I plug it in and turn on the wireless on the headset, I get a message saying "this device is not supported"
Coming in a update
Wireless Stereo Headset
Pulse Wired Stereo Headset
Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite Edition
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Downhome

I tells ya the controller is goddamn amazing and Killzone looks like god's loving touch oh yiissssssss

Just keep reminding yourself that this is just day one. Imagine the second round of games, a year from now, three, five, maybe 7 years or more at the end of the generation. Good lord.

TheMink

This is, without a doubt, the best UI i have ever used.

Also side note, any people who's main accounts are technically sub accounts?
My main is a sub that i didn't realize was a sub at the time, it wasn't ever a problem until i tried to share a vid.

It says I'm not allowed to do it as a sub account, i went to the master and it said that my sub account was allowed to share and look at vids. Went back to my account and it still didnt work.

Anyone else? I suspect this isnt a very common problem though because of the whole sub account thing.

Reposting in case someone has an idea

rSpooky

I had the issue as well, but strangely it occurred way more while trying remote play. Maybe a connection related issue of the UI. I am sure we will see some patch for that soon.

Top Bottom