• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

May have been covered already but I didn't see it when I jumped around a few pages. So I have the elite pulse headsets which I understood to work for both PS3 and PS4. Does the PS4 not read from the dongle correctly or am I doing something wrong. I know I could send all audio to the controller and then plug it into the controller directly but I feel that it was intended to work from the dongle, same as the PS3. At the moment, when I plug it in and turn on the wireless on the headset, I get a message saying "this device is not supported"

I have the Sony pulse elite headset and it doesn't work when using the dongle but, I plugged it onto the DS4 so I could watch a livestream at night so I wouldn't bother anyone, I accidentally pressed L2 and the voice activation bar popped up. So the mic works when plugged into the DS4 via the 3.5mm cord that came with it.

First time I played KZ I instinctively used L1/R1 to fire, but after a few minutes of using the L2/R2 I didn't have any problems and it feels just as good.

I always changed my controls to L1/R1 for shooting on PS3 but, now it feels better using the triggers on the DS4.

Hey, someone on Youtube told me that the ps4 booklet contains several codes.
30 days of PS+, 30 days of Music Unlimited and $10 PSN Code.

Is that right?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The controller talking to you in Resogun feels so immersive, its great. I never got that feeling with any Wii game that did the same thing, maybe because the speaker on this one is better.

Riddler

The controller talking to you in Resogun feels so immersive, its great. I never got that feeling with any Wii game that did the same thing, maybe because the speaker on this one is better.

That's exactly it! Not saying the speaker on the DS4 is vastly better but it's "good enough" to not pull you out of the experience.

Is there a way to "pin" applications to the front of your UI? I don't like how it prioritizes by last played. I imagine that once I get and play dozens of games it will be annoying to go through and find them.

Sorian

Banned

Ah perfect, I expected as much and I figured GAF would be the quickest source for me. Thanks!

I have the Sony pulse elite headset and it doesn't work when using the dongle but, I plugged it onto the DS4 so I could watch a livestream at night so I wouldn't bother anyone, I accidentally pressed L2 and the voice activation bar popped up. So the mic works when plugged into the DS4 via the 3.5mm cord that came with it.

This is also useful info, thank you as well.

Just keep reminding yourself that this is just day one. Imagine the second round of games, a year from now, three, five, maybe 7 years or more at the end of the generation. Good lord.

I know what you mean but I really hate this line of thinking. It is basically saying, " do not enjoy this too much, just think ahead in the future when it will be so much better "

Nah, sit back and enjoy what you got my friend. Don't worry about the future until you get tired of what your doing in the here and now.

This kind of line is used all the time. Say I am enjoying a game and I come on here or other boards and say " oh man this game is freakin amazing! " you can guarantee you will have many " just wait man ... " type answers lol.

So, the stuff that usually comes up under the games and in What's New is gone for me. I assume that's happening to everyone? A way to ease the strain on PSN?

Is there a way to "pin" applications to the front of your UI? I don't like how it prioritizes by last played. I imagine that once I get and play dozens of games it will be annoying to go through and find them.

I don't think so. I was hoping for a "quick menu" you could pop out with 4 or 5 programs you want pinned.

undecided

Logitech racing wheels definitely don't work.

It gets USB power and initializes, but there is nothing in the PS4 that acts like it detects anything.

Probably the same thing that prevents DualShock 3 from working.

Do any fight sticks work (or only specific ones)?

sajj316

Feel I'm doing a disservice to my PS4 playing in 720p. I need to upgrade my office room TV. Any recommendations on 24inch TVs? Greatness needs to be in 1080p!!!

Downhome

That's exactly it! Not saying the speaker on the DS4 is vastly better but it's "good enough" to not pull you out of the experience.

I forgot the controller even had a speaker. When I started up Resogun and the lady shouts out at the start "SAVE ALL HUMANS" or whatever she says, it scared the crap out of me.

Man, I hate the UI's "home" screen. It feels like a 360 or something. Random assortment of recent items in a single line and then a Library that just vomits everything onto a page.

Going back to the PS3 to play Rocksmith felt like a breath of fresh air.

How exactly are these installs/updates working? I was playing some AC yesterday, and I think it was installing as I played. I finished, took the disc out, put in KZ and played that for a while and it did the same thing. When I finished, I took that disc out as well. Now my screen has an AC and a KZ icon. I guess I've gotta put the discs back in to complete the install? This new way it's done confuses me a bit.

ufo8mycat

the game play was just like run around and shoot people. no strategy at all. now while i'm not great at though kind of games i know that i don't suck that bad.

Your post make it sound like this is your very first time playing Battlefield, COD or FPS games in general?

This is pretty much what the gameplay is like for most FPS :)

Feel I'm doing a disservice to my PS4 playing in 720p. I need to upgrade my office room TV. Any recommendations on 24inch TVs? Greatness needs to be in 1080p!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61t5pvXSb%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

it has a 9ms lag based on displaylag.com which is excellent.

bumpkin

Speaking of the PSN freebies with the PS4, I already have Plus and don't give a crap about Music Unlimited. Does anybody want either of the promo codes?

How exactly are these installs/updates working? I was playing some AC yesterday, and I think it was installing as I played. I finished, took the disc out, put in KZ and played that for a while and it did the same thing. When I finished, I took that disc out as well. Now my screen has an AC and a KZ icon. I guess I've gotta put the discs back in to complete the install? This new way it's done confuses me a bit.

It will do it in the background when the disc is in the system. The icon stays there regardless unless you delete it (along with what you have installed, you don't want to do that).

Downhome

Do I understand correctly that you can do Vita remote play over WiFi even when not on the same local network? Meaning, I could bring a Vita to someone else's house, work, whatever and still be able to do remote play?

Sweet Ivy

Got my PS4 from EB Games yesterday morning with Shadow Fall, Ghosts and Black Flag, then decided to be crazy and went to Future Shop in the afternoon (had a old gift card to burn) and got Knack, Battlefield 4 and Marvel Superheroes.
They were out of cameras but were stocked of PS4s so you could just walk in and grab one. EBGames told me they only had the pre-ordered ones.

Only managed to play a little:

Resogun: oh my gosh, I couldn't stop, totally addictive! And the voice from the controller is cool.

KZ: ShadowFall (multi): great feeling, so beautiful, like the customizable matches. Plays so smooth. It was just a quick match, but I enjoyed it. Can't wait to see all the maps, and try to SP

Warframe: really pretty cool, controls are slick, maybe just the blade goes frenzy a little too easily. Style is top-notch and I can't wait to play more.

Black Flag: multiplayer wasn't working? Graphics look awesome and the characters very detailed, I look forward to going online.

Knack: only started it but I'm liking it a lot so far. Looks wonderful and plays very smooth. The feeling I had was of playing an animation movie with me (the character) starting my adventure while the events unveil around me. As in the 1st of Hollywood 3 acts: story introduction.

Obviously doesn't matter for + members with cloud saves, but save data is not tied to the installed game data, is it? That's the worst thing about the Vita.

Logitech racing wheels definitely don't work.

It gets USB power and initializes, but there is nothing in the PS4 that acts like it detects anything.

Probably the same thing that prevents DualShock 3 from working.

Do any fight sticks work (or only specific ones)?

I guess the wheel won't work in the game either?

Steel

Banned
Do I understand correctly that you can do Vita remote play over WiFi even when not on the same local network? Meaning, I could bring a Vita to someone else's house, work, whatever and still be able to do remote play?

Yes, results will vary though. Ping is key.

XJF

Has it been mentioned why the console light is white? From all promotional images I thought it would be blue most of the time. Only seems to be blue while booting up

potam

Banned

I'm not sure, but it may have completely finished the install already. I know there is a bar that fills as it's doing the minimum install for each game, but I'm not sure if there is a way to tell whether or not it is 100% there.

The installs should stay there until you manually delete it, though.

sajj316

Why aren't more people talking about this then? It seems like a true evolution or game changer to me. Heck, it comes close to pushing me over the edge and running out and buying a Vita now.

I will be testing this on Monday in the office. It is a game changer for me. Killzone in the crapper ...

Battlefield 4 says my save game file is corrupted.lol I knew the game crashed alot (I've had a ton of them) but save game bugs? LOL

I'm having fun even with the issues. This is my first launch day console. I'm a proud beta tester. hehe

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why aren't more people talking about this then? It seems like a true evolution or game changer to me. Heck, it comes close to pushing me over the edge and running out and buying a Vita now.

You answered your own question! Nobody has a Vita. :)

Sorian

Banned
So, my impressions:

Picked mine up at midnight since I knew that I was going to have in-laws over for a lot of the day on Friday and wanted to get some fun in. Set up when off without a hitch, day one update good to go. Got into the store and started (and completed rather quickly) downloads for contrast and resogun). UI feels slick and much smoother and the coding is obviously working better since this was easily pulling a faster D/L rate than the PS3 ever does in my apartment. Popped in Knack and was playing the game within a minute or two and was having a blast. Obviously, not the game of choice to show off how realistic graphics can be but the particle effects were indeed as good as advertised and the game was very very vibrant and colorful (something my girlfriend commented on when she walked in to me playing the game). After the in-laws cleared out on friday, the gf asked if we could play lego marvel (B2G1 at two different places made me get quite the selection of games) and while nothing super impressive graphics wise, I was impressed to see that this game was even faster from disc in tray to start menu. I am also loving that once you hit that start menu in either game that I've tried, there has been no hint of loading. I've still yet to try netflix, hulu, or vudu but all three looked like they had a new coat of paint and I look forward to less issues since tests show, so far, that the D/L (and thus the stream) rate are going better.

10/10 would buy again, etc. etc.

Fake edit: People do worry me a ton about whether the system will break or have some issue in the near future. As I said, my 2 DS4s and the system itself have all had no issues and the most I see is that it starts to run the area that I have it a little hot but the system itself just feels slightly warm to the touch, properly ventilated, etc. etc. but I worry. I don't want another red ring fiasco.

Phreaker

Is your twitch account still associated with justin.tv? Thats the issue . Log into your account on a phone or pc and see if it redirects to justin.tv. If it does make a new twitch account

I have logged into my twitch.tv account on the PC and no I am not redirect to justin.tv. Here's my empty channel: http://www.twitch.tv/phreaker

But this is all I get when I try to stream:

EDIT: For grins I created a new Twtich account and it worked just fine. I'd really like to use my other one, hopefully they get it fixed. Thanks for the tip.

JohngPR

As far as the PS Protection Plan, were supposed to be getting a discount on it if were PS Plus right? Or did I imagine that?

Thanks man! Looks good. However, the last thing I want is an Amazon shipment :)

i doubt you will have issue with this product ;P unless UPS tosses over a fence.

As far as the PS Protection Plan, were supposed to be getting a discount on it if were PS Plus right? Or did I imagine that?

i think you get a full 3 years rather than 1 limited + 2 year. on psn store it says 36 months and starts on day of console purchase

on site it says 24 months and only extends http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/

so that's that?

Ouch, I should have seen that one coming, lol.

My post from another thread:

Chiming in about remoteplay.

It's fucking fantastic.

My PS4 is upstairs and I was using it all night downstairs playing Resogun and Contrast and watching some stuff on Crunchyroll. I dunno what the exact distance is from my living room to my ps4, but it's still impressive to me.

Lagless experience except when first connecting. It seems to take a few seconds to stabilize but then it's flawless.

Ok, this may be a silly question. I signed into PSN under the default user set up on the PS4(user1). Its not saying that I have PS+(anywhere I can see) and I know I have it. Must my PS4 username be the same as my PS3 username?

Top Bottom