• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Anyone else having this issue?

In my game library, it shows all my games but once I click on one there is no infor or picture for the game I clicked on. I also cant seem to install some games.

for new page

i'd appreciate if anyone could say if this happens to them or not, please. regarding the first part

I've never streamed anything before, despite having a twitch account for chat rooms on other peoples' streams.

The PS4 makes it so easy to stream gameplay that now I stream just about anything I'm playing in case someone wants to watch.

is PSN down for PS4 only?
i can get logged in on both my PS3 and Vita, but since i brought home my PS4 it either silts on the "please wait" screen or tells me that PSN is under maintenance.

anyone else have problem?

Geeun

I got some great rumble off it while playing Flower last night, it'll be different from game to game.

That reminds me - for those that haven't, PLAY FLOWER. It's awesomely beautiful and only $6.99. Really interesting to go back go it now and see the roots of Journey in there. Oh and if you already bought it on PS3 it's free on PS4!

I picked up flower using the $10 voucher included with the system. I'll definitely check it out in a bit and also see how the rumble is.

mhayze

I decided to wait until the next day to post on my first day experience, just to give the experience time to settle.

First impressions - A+ on the physical design. Console looks great - the original PS3 still looks more advanced to me, somehow, but it's by a hair. Love the new design. DS4 is a big improvement to me.

Then you hook it all up, and the first few niggles surface. The OS looks totally sterile. I actually think the PS3 OS is slightly more polished at this point, putting aside new features. There's a lot missing - options that used to be present for video output, the inability to connect to my media server, slower Blu-ray playback (maybe due to network slowness?), inability to organize my games. These will all be fixed over the next few months, but day 1, it's a little disappointing.

Glitches and freezes - they're there. Biggest problem for me right now is that when the PS4 reboots, my receiver glitches out, and can't sync the signal any more. I have to physically shut it off and turn it back on. If you run a lot of apps including the browser, it gets very laggy and requires a reboot. The browser feels last gen - slow, laggy and clumsy. I know games are the primary focus, but I don't see the point of including a feature but doing it really badly - IMHO. Day 1 PSN issues - totally expected, but still slightly embarrassing for Sony. Also, why display a 'maintenance' message (which sounds like a planned outage)? Are they really doing 'maintenance' day 1? Still I could log in, setup my profile, download the patch, download free games, all in the first day, so no big knock there.

Games - Killzone looks pretty but it's a disappointment to me so far. Resogun is fun, but I don't see anything that looks like it couldn't be done on the PS3. I really wish Sony had done their planning a bit better and included a system seller in the box. The controller light is a little distracting if you play with a projector or in a darkened room (haven't looked into whether this can be turned off), and the battery life seems quite short from first impressions. I went from 3 bars to 1 in a few hours.

Things I really liked - the background processing, downloading and installing of games is very cool. The sharing feature could become compelling once there's enough content and people on there, and I look forward to the first few non-ported, designed for PS4 AAA games.

Day 1 score: B-

Megasoum

Banned
I got some great rumble off it while playing Flower last night, it'll be different from game to game.

That reminds me - for those that haven't, PLAY FLOWER. It's awesomely beautiful and only $6.99. Really interesting to go back go it now and see the roots of Journey in there. Oh and if you already bought it on PS3 it's free on PS4!

Hopefully they'll do Journey too, it's the only game from ThatGameCompany that I would realy want to re-play.

AmyS

So far I'd rate my entire overall PS4 launch experience as a 9.0 / 10.

-Had no problem walking into GS to secure a console even tho I never pre-ordered

-My unit has worked extremely well thus far. No overheating, no HDMI problems and no excessive fan or BD drive noises.

-Dual Shock 4 is just an amazingly good controller

-The PS4 console itself is beautiful

-The UI is very, very good. So fast and responsive.

-Even though I was scared to try PSN, I did this morning and with minimal issues, the ones I did have are really related to EA' / Origin / DICE servers for BF4 and even that hasn't been anything like bad. I'm using Comcast XFINITY, hardwired to the PS4.

-Can only judge the graphics by what I've played of BF4 SP and MP. They're not completely and utterly mindblowing but still really damn impressive. I've noticed NO framerate dips in SP or what little of MP I've played. It'll be interesting to see how framerate really holds up with large numbers of players on large maps with tons of particles, smoke, explosions and other effects happening at once.

-Resogun is really cool for what it is. Have to play more of it later.

Greatness is just beginning and I haven't even opened up Killzone: Shadow Fall, nor have I bought Need For Speed Rivals.

Welp, back to BF4.
I need to drive a tank and start blowing shit up, then play more Paracel Storm!

Sorian

Banned
I also hear the fans running in standby, least the last time I tried it out.

The fans run for a few minutes after starting standby but they stop once the system gets to whatever its supposed internal temperature is supposed to be. Put it in standby last night and the fans were on when I went upstairs to bed (maybe 2-3 minutes after putting it in standby) but no fans on in the morning.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ok, I got to spend a few hours with the PS4 last night, at least 4 hours last night, and here are my impressions for anyone reading the thread that hasn't gotten one, or is on the fence:

Hardware: Got it set up with no hardware problems. I made sure to check the HDMI ports and cord itself. I used the one Sony provided. Works perfectly fine. The system UI is slick, and didn't take much time to get used to at all. It's still familiar, yet different. I'll have to spend more time with it to really discern if it's an improvement over the old XMB. Early thoughts are, yes, it is.

The controller, as I've stated in other threads, is phenomenal. I've had my DS4 for a good 2 weeks, and have been using it on my PC/Surface Pro, and PS3, but being able to use it on a PS4 proper has been excellent. I've always preferred the PlayStation controller to the Xbox controller, but the DS4 is hands down the best controller I've ever felt. The buttons are excellent, the triggers are finally not shit, and the analog sticks feel tight, and responsive.

Games: I own, Killzone, Assassin's Creed IV, LEGO Marvel, and Battlefield 4. Also a few PSN games that I haven't gotten a chance to try out yet outside of Flower.

Killzone: Graphically: Whoa. This game looks amazing. Yes, it's a launch title, and there are some graphical artifacts here and there (I've noticed a shimmering effect every once in a while in dark areas), but the game is most certainly a leap over what we have now. The controls are excellent, the story, so far, is intriguing, and I'm enjoying the atmosphere and tone of this game. I didn't realize there'd be so many collectibles per chapter, so that's going to be fun hunting them all down. So far, I'm getting a Killzone: Mercenary vibe from this game in terms of its design, which is making me very happy, as I think Mercenary may be my favorite of the bunch when it comes to design, and I love Killzone 2, 3, and Liberation. Framerate has been buttery smooth, and I haven't noticed any crazy aliasing or anything like that. Highly recommend this one. This was the first game I booted up on my PS4.

LEGO Marvel: Me and my wife played this, and what can we say? It's a LEGO game. We're loving it so far, and the game looks and runs excellently, and the story is fun and silly. The gameplay is LEGO, so anyone that has played any game in that series should know what's up, but as a big Marvel fan, I'm really getting a kick out of running around and bashing shit as my favorite heroes. Graphically, it looks great. Anti-aliased, post-processing, silky smooth framerate. If anything, going PS4 with this multi-plats has been worth it for the improved performance. I also highly recommend this, but again, I'm a LEGO game fan, and have played/owned every game in the series so far.

Assassin's Creed IV: Looks better than I thought it would. I played the MP at E3 earlier in the year, and I thought it looked really good, but that was months ago, and not single player. It looks polished, clean, with crisp visuals (900p or not, it looks really sharp). Didn't notice any aliasing, and the framerate was good so far. This is the title I spent the least amount of time with, because it was getting late. Story seems interesting, the main character looks like a scoundrel, and the naval battle stuff was awesome. I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since Brotherhood and Liberation on the Vita, so I'm not suffering from series fatigue. I skipped Revelations and 3, but as a comparison from Brotherhood to Black Flag, this seems like a nice improvement, but again, I'm not very far in it. I can't say if I recommend it or not yet.

I haven't even opened the shrink wrap on Battlefield 4, because I'm not really interested in it, but it was the only game left from the Target B2G1 they had in stock that wasn't crap (I hate CoD, and that was pretty much all they had. They didn't have Knack or Injustice, or I'd have grabbed one of those; probably Injustice).

I just woke up and booted up Flower, and holy moly, is this game gorgeous. Definitely sharper and cleaner than it was on the PS3. Also, the motion controls feel amazing, tighter, and more responsive than they did on the PS3 as well. I've always loved this game, but now it's making me ache for Journey PS4.

That's all I've got to do so far. I'm going to play a little more of Flower, then check out Resogun and a few other PSN titles I have before I head off for work. I'm still incredibly annoyed that they're making us come in for OT this weekend, but I hope they'll actually change their mind and give us tomorrow off. So far, my PS4 experience has been great.

Giggzy

I've been having a blast. My only problem has been with Music Unlimited. It seems to crash and stop playing songs in the background while I'm gaming after 5-10 minutes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm pretty surprised that PSN has held up. It was basically unusable most of yesterday afternoon but then they slowly started to get things working around 5-6PM Pacific time for me and its been pretty solid since then.

Good sign? Or are other people having issues and I'm just lucky to be connected? lol

domstah

Keep getting a network error when trying to use Twitch but Ustream seems to be working fine. Anyone else experiencing this?

Make sure you have a twitch.tv account, not a justin.tv account. Sounds silly but make sure by login in to twitch via a web browser and take a look.

chidrock

Finally got my PS4 hooked up and am too excited to find the answer to this...should I just start it up and go through whatever update screens pop up, or should I download something to a USB drive and update the system before letting it go online? I just don't want to have a brick on my hands...

I had the system hard lock on me last night during remote play of Resogun. Booted into safe mode. Made me nervous, i've had the sound cut out twice too and wouldn't come back until reboots.

Overall, a bit disappointing but perhaps my expectations where a bit too high for an error free launch.

I still find it hilarious that PSN went down the second the east coast started selling units, but the PSN issues really don't seem to be too bad.

Order

Get out of that screen .. Go into system settings and go into the update option. I made that mistake as well. It will not update from the download screen.
I keep getting an error everytime it reaches 300 mb in the update screen now. This is so stupid

vehn

i plugged in my Astro A50 with the optical and the game sound / mics from other people in party chat work. But the mic on it does not work until I plug in the USB, but then the mics from other people in party chat get muted. Anyone know of a fix?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Finally got my PS4 hooked up and am too excited to find the answer to this...should I just start it up and go through whatever update screens pop up, or should I download something to a USB drive and update the system before letting it go online? I just don't want to have a brick on my hands...

I did update online in a few mins online, others say it took forever. That, and PSN keeps going down for maintenance

RedAssedApe

Banned
Make sure you have a twitch.tv account, not a justin.tv account. Sounds silly but make sure by login in to twitch via a web browser and take a look.

I was able to login to twitch.tv from my browser. I don't think I have a justin.tv account but I'm not sure. Is there somewhere I can check definitively?

jwk94

This real name thing is confusing me. The PS4 refers to me by my real name everywhere I go, even on my profile page where my PSN name is listed underneath my real name. How do I know that people on PSN aren't seeing my actual name?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'd really like to change the background theme from Blue to Red. Red would go so much better in my Cincinnati Reds themed room. And Red is my fav color while blue least fav.

Also more in depth with remote play its now not working a well has is was yesterday, so far I've had remote play lock up my console twice today, which almost gave me a heart attack since my PS4 was made in the factory from hell described in the other thread.

Is it something within my network structure that is limiting the PS4 and Vita? I haven't quite figured out how to change the way remote play connects or if I need certain ports wide open on my router. Anyone know?

This real name thing is confusing me. The PS4 refers to me by my real name everywhere I go, even on my profile page where my PSN name is listed underneath my real name. How do I know that people on PSN aren't seeing my actual name?
Talk to someone on your friend list and ask them what they see.

RedAssedApe

Banned

they won't be able to unless they've sent you a name request and you've approved it.

Spasm

Go to Setting -> PSN -> Privacy Settings -> Name and Profile Picture

Reule

The fans run for a few minutes after starting standby but they stop once the system gets to whatever its supposed internal temperature is supposed to be. Put it in standby last night and the fans were on when I went upstairs to bed (maybe 2-3 minutes after putting it in standby) but no fans on in the morning.
Good to know, maybe I'll put it into standby more.

BadAss2961

Really the only thing that definitely needs to be changed is this music/video unlimited crap. It's not going to cut it. We should be able to play our own media like we did for the past 7-8 years.

chidrock

I did update online in a few mins online, others say it took forever. That, and PSN keeps going down for maintenance

Thanks... From the little I've got to read I thought a lot of the issues people were having popped up as a part of the system update. I thought I saw some people saying it would be better to update using a flash drive.

sajj316

I keep getting an error everytime it reaches 300 mb in the update screen now. This is so stupid

Is this during the install of the FW or download ... Install should be x% complete. Seems you are still downloading. Could be issues with PSN ..

is PSN down for PS4 only?
i can get logged in on both my PS3 and Vita, but since i brought home my PS4 it either silts on the "please wait" screen or tells me that PSN is under maintenance.

anyone else have problem?

weird thing is if i deliberately put in wrong password it immediately tells me. so it's checking against a server.

anyone else?

Megasoum

Banned
I REALLY REALLY love the DS4 but it will take me a bit to get used to it. My left thumb still always go to the upper left position by default haha.

dubq

What's with the PS4 randomly bouncing me back to the UI menu? I can't even successfully browse the store for more than 1-2 minutes before being sent back to the new XMB.

Baconbitz

Banned
Everytime I try remote play on my one connection it drops the connection. I don't know why. Do the PS4, and Vita have to be on the same connection to work?

Maxim726X

I would love to use the fucking thing but I can't log on to PSN.

Frustrating as shit. Should I just cancel and retry until I get it?

Top Bottom