• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Mikey Jr.

You know what?

The PS4 has an AMAZING foundation in terms of UI and the system in general.

Everything works pretty damn well. Its just 2 or 3 patches away from being amazing. Its just missing some stuff that has to be there. I honestly think in a years time, any problems with the PS4 will just be splitting hairs.

hows everyone like their PS4?

while i like mine i am just not blown away like i thought that i would.

Love it. The hardware is pretty nice and the UI works well.

I'm not that blown away by the leap in generation either, but then I'm primarily a PC gamer. Killzone looks good, but I've definitely seen better. There are some nice lighting and partical effects going on - but other than that you could have probably fooled me by calling it a late-gen PS3 game.

But I really do like having a console or two around for variety and the exclusives. That said, I have absolutely no regret in building my Steam box 6 months ago. I expect it's still going to see plenty of playtime.

I would say the biggest leap in this gen so far is the controller (perfection) and the integration of streaming.

BadAss2961

What's with the PS4 randomly bouncing me back to the UI menu? I can't even successfully browse the store for more than 1-2 minutes before being sent back to the new XMB.
Most likely a PSN issue with the servers being hammered at the moment.

You know what?

The PS4 has an AMAZING foundation in terms of UI and the system in general.

Everything works pretty damn well. Its just 2 or 3 patches away from being amazing. Its just missing some stuff that has to be there. I honestly think in a years time, any problems with the PS4 will just be splitting hairs.

agreed. they managed the basic for launch and they'll be fine after some updates

Kyoufu

I'm not that blown away by the leap in generation either, but then I'm primarily a PC gamer. Killzone looks good, but I've definitely seen better. There are some nice lighting and partical effects going on - but other than that you could have probably fooled me by calling it a late-gen PS3 game.

Nah.

Cess007

What's with the PS4 randomly bouncing me back to the UI menu? I can't even successfully browse the store for more than 1-2 minutes before being sent back to the new XMB.

It happened to me once, but never again. It was strange, but didn't think much of it. What really bothers me more is the fact that the MEX PS Store won't be up for another week :(

I have device link enabled or whatever for my TV and with the PS3 this works fine, lets me control the PS3 with my TV remote with no issues.

But for some reason on the PS4, when I have the TV link enabled, it changes my audio output on my receiver to the TV every time I press the PS button.

Anyone else getting this?

dubq

Happens outside the store as well though. I could be browsing the Settings menu and sometimes it'll just transport me right to the games row for the new XMB. Essentially like a phantom press of the PS button.

lol, not even close

Jharp

Man I am really worried about so many people saying they're systems are running silent.

Did some of us just get a bad batch?

If this is an issue, I sincerely hope my system craps out at some point in the next year, before the warranty runs out. I just hope this doesn't become this gen's RROD.

Warframe just crashed the hell out of my system lol. 100% froze during the initial update, power button wasn't even responsive. Had to unplug the AC, which rebooted the system into safe mode to check the disks, and finally rebooted normally but giving me a message saying "dude seriously don't unplug the AC you'll fuck this shit up."

kamicowzi

Banned
Random question...does the chat headset seem really quiet to anyone? I haven't had the chance to try any MP yet but both the stock headset and the Turtle Beach communicator I picked up seem super quiet when I mess around with the chat headset settings.

JohngPR

i doubt you will have issue with this product ;P unless UPS tosses over a fence.

i think you get a full 3 years rather than 1 limited + 2 year. on psn store it says 36 months and starts on day of console purchase

on site it says 24 months and only extends http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/

so that's that?

Ohhh ok, thanks. They didn't advertise any of the PS plus stuff for it at all so I didn't know that. Cool!

Anyone else going to get one? I don't usually go for that sort of thing but with some of the HDMI stuff that's been out there, I figure it's a good idea for peace of mind.

tirminyl

Dear Diary,

Day 2 of the PS4 launch, I wake to find that my release day PS4 has finally arrived from Amazon's shipping facility to our local UPS center. I was filled with a moment of glee and excitement. The possibilities of what the day would hold for me changed drastically. That is until I realized that the shipping center is closed today. Now my day is filled with worrying thoughts of my PS4 left all alone in a big warehouse with me being so close, yet so far away. I must stay strong and true to my faithful PS4. I must not sour myself with devilish temptations that taunt me to scour the electronic isles of B&M. I've left that past behind me. I must resist. I must abstain for great things comes to those that wait.

Guys I have a couple questions about PS4 now that's we've hit day 2:

Firstly...there's really no purchase history/list like on PS3? How would I re-download pre-order DLC or stuff like that if they got deleted? Seems odd. Is it just hidden away somewhere?

Secondly, I'm only showing up on my What's New feed. I have friends using PS4 though. Is this a setting somewhere or is it just PSN being PSN?

Thirdly...How is Super Motherload (lol). Looks neat but I want some impressions.

AmyS

Played more MP BF4. I'm terrible at it, but all I can say is WOW,

I' LOVE Paracel Storm when I can get on that map!

Anyone else unable to get into Conquest matches in BF4? I can play every other mode fine and use any other online feature of hte PS4 without a hitch (remote play works GREAT btw!) but for some reason I just can't join a damn Conquest game.

Dysun

Anybody try the Rocketfish PS4 headset, or other similarly cheap alternatives. Cant use this pack in headset, it drives me insane falling out of my ear constantly

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Guys I have a couple questions about PS4 now that's we've hit day 2:

Firstly...there's really no purchase history/list like on PS3? How would I re-download pre-order DLC or stuff like that if they got deleted? Seems odd. Is it just hidden away somewhere?

Secondly, I'm only showing up on my What's New feed. I have friends using PS4 though. Is this a setting somewhere or is it just PSN being PSN?

Thirdly...How is Super Motherload (lol). Looks neat but I want some impressions.

I'm pretty sure the "library" header in the store shows purchase history.

It shows all the PS4 games I've bought in there...

Super Noob question, so I can pretty much install my madden disc onto my Ps4 and sell my hard copy? Just making sure I'm understanding installing game right

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe they still make you manually install stuff after it downloads, I thought that was something they got so much crap about that they would change. At least it seems that if you leave it alone long enough it just does it on its own, but it's still clumsy from what I've seen. No status bar to show how long installs will take, no real indicator of how long before it automatically installs for you...

I leave BF4 to download overnight, check it this morning and find out that the download was stopped at 2GB 10 minutes after I went to bed. FML

Does anyone else feel like the analog sticks are the best ever in a controller? I feel like there's no need for aim assist anymore, especially after playing a few hours of Killzone sp and mp and I was disappointed when BF4 had some minor aim assist.

Danziger

Does the dualshock 4 light indicate if it's fully charged? I'm charging from a PC right now.

If PS4 is on, To check the charge level of the battery with the screen displayed by holding down the PS button for at least 1 second.

If PS4 is in stanby modality, the light bar blinks slowly in orange. When the battery is fully charged, the light bar is turned off.

This is reported in the online manual PS4...

If PS4 is on, To check the charge level of the battery with the screen displayed by holding down the PS button for at least 1 second.

If PS4 is in stanby modality, the light bar blinks slowly in orange. When charging, the light bar is turned off.

This is reported in the online manual PS4...
I know, and I wanted to know if anything is indicated by the lightbar if it's fully charged when not connected to a PS4.

I just got my answer, the light comes off.

you would think the servers "being hammered" would have been something Sony was prepared for? I mean it is launch weekend after all. they knew exactly how many consoles were out there and should have been ready for each and every one of them to connect (even if some small percentage of them never will).

Sorian

Banned
Hmmm yeah I thought I had it wrong :lol, so does installing games just help them run smoother? Or..

The force install allows devs to have more happen in game because the data is being streamed from the HDD (or SDD) instead of through the blu-ray from the disc which caps out at a low download rate.

Whooter

you would think the servers "being hammered" would have been something Sony was prepared for? I mean it is launch weekend after all. they knew exactly how many consoles were out there and should have been ready for each and every one of them to connect (even if some small percentage of them never will).

Then you end up with millions of dollars worth of servers and infrastructure that never get used again after launch weekend.

TheExodu5

Banned
Super Motherload is a fun little grind...but it really should have been $10. Both it and Soundshapes seem a bit pricey for what they are.

Sorian

Banned
Why is the controller light red when playing Fifa?

Was it a second player? My girlfriend and I have played a couple games together and it seems like blue is player 1 and red is player 2.

Oh ok thanks, I totally misunderstood the situation haha.

It's cool, the UI totally makes me want to just not swap discs. Finished one play session then wanted to play Knack and I scrolled over to play and got an angry message about how the wrong disc was inserted :p

Top Bottom