• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

diggler41

I am having a great time with mine. At the in-laws now and just wanting to split and get back to my PS4. Also Love 2k14 but kinda disappointed there is no Association mode. :(

Kai

PSN is still down for everyone right? Nothing comes up under the what's new section. I can't review my trophies to synch and trying to play nBa 2k is a nightmare right now (can't use online features and the game is hitching).

PBY

Banned
PSN is still down for everyone right? Nothing comes up under the what's new section. I can't review my trophies to synch and trying to play nBa 2k is a nightmare right now (can't use online features and the game is hitching).
Same.

StoopKid

Nope I'm online .

Eusis

Seems to just be rocky as hell.

... I fully expect similar with the XB1 launch next week, and for everyone to be VERY thankful Microsoft backed down on that DRM.

Majanew

Banned
Nice to see Sony stuck with the stupid NAT Type 2 shit instead of just saying it's open. Hadn't played PS3 in 2 years, had to look up what Type 2 was again.

StoopKid

Are you sure? My system "looks" online too. But try to look at your friends recent activity or the what's new section. PSN seems to be down.

The live from play station streams and store still work though.

Just checked I have friends online playing ps4 games.

But the what's new section won't load.

Zee-Row

Banned
The Camera seems to be selling well , all my friends including me have one. A lot of people are using it in the Live from PlayStation section as well.

I've read a few posts complaining about the orange standby light, but I actually think it is a soothing, mellow color. It doesn't distract me the way the blue LED's do on my other devices. And I don't think it's a bright orange, it's warm and near amber. Good design decision IMO.

I've read a few posts complaining about the orange standby light, but I actually think it is a soothing, mellow color. It doesn't distract me the way the blue LED's do on my other devices. And I don't think it's a bright orange, it's warm and near amber. Good design decision IMO.

I agree. I was surprised how dim it actually was when the lights were off in my room. I thought it would be a lot brighter.

I'm a first time Sony gamer, can someone explain to me how the f I install the call of duty ghosts patch? It says it was downloaded, but there's no option to install it.

Thanks!

oatmeal

Banned
Two questions...

1. Do we expect Madden to go on to PS store?
2. Are PSN cards region locked? I live in States but do Christmas in Canada...and it'd be nice if I could ask for PS cards.

Elginer

Here are my PS4 Impressions. at least with my limited time with it and also being incredibly ill. Seriously, I’m super sick (UGH)

The machine is super powerful, which you can feel from the moment you start playing a game. This thing sings. It’s a lil beast, but like most Sony hardware it still hasn’t quite managed to get the UI and PSN service just there yet. PSN has been having tons of problems, but honestly, that was to be expected. With over a million people all trying to log-in - it’s not a shock that PSN currently is iffy.

That said, with me paying a yearly fee now for PS Plus they need to step their game up. There are some seriously flawed things with the UI that bug me. The lack of no way to organize game downloads and not being able to use a wallpaper or at least change the UI color are frustrating the hell out of me. It’s my OCD at work.

The share and streaming features are a delight. Easy to use and powerful. This is a community builder for the PSN that was truly needed.

Voice recognition is half-baked at best, and at this point is almost pointless. Sony needs to invest more in it to be able to be usable for UI navigation and app starting, not just games. The browser still isn’t the best in the world but is certainly a step forward for Sony. It’s webkit based so can easily be upgraded.

The lack of MP3, MPEG4 and DLNA support is a bummer but it’s something that should be coming soon. Sony has been hammering the point across since Feb that the PS4 is a gaming system over and over again. They’re right. It’s a fantastic system that looks set to build a nice community around gaming. It’s easily the most powerful console out there but is that enough?

With Microsoft investing heavily in their servers and multimedia features; these are areas that Sony needs to address and soon. Having a Ferrari does no one any good if the interface to control this amazing machine is clunky. The PS4 currently feels slightly clunky. The seeds for a great experience are there; they’re just missing some UI features and navigation that feels almost like a no-brainer for the company. The evolution of the XMB is clearly here and it looks sound but needs a fair bit of tweaking to reach the potential that I feel Sony is going for. This is after-all day one and these systems are all about evolution. While Sony clearly holds the title for most powerful next-gen system, Microsoft is beating them to the punch in services that in the long run are going to define the experiences that consumers are going to have with their products. Here’s hoping Sony continues to address these concerns in their next few updates. The PS4 out the gate is smartly engineered machine that has the power to see it through this new generation of gaming, It just needs the user experience to match.

scosher

Anyone else not like the Options button on the DS4? Feels really awkward to press. I dunno if that's just cause of years of muscle memory from where the Start button used to be, or the lack of any good tactile input from it.

I especially hate how they moved Triangle as the options/menu key in the XMB to the Options button.

Sorian

Banned
I'm a first time Sony gamer, can someone explain to me how the f I install the call of duty ghosts patch? It says it was downloaded, but there's no option to install it.

Thanks!

On the top layer of the dashboard, you should have a notification tab with a 1 (or how many notifications you have unread) go in there and it should say Call of Duty blah blah ready to install, just click it.

okay, so I was just playing Killzone and all is well, and then I stopped that (closed the application through the ps button.

I clicked on Resogun to play that (I installed it yesterday, but haven't played it yet) and now its just frozen at a black screen with the resogun ship icon in the lower right corner.

Not sure what to do, I'm nervous to try and do anything, but its just been hanging there for 5 minutes...

Sorian

Banned
okay, so I was just playing Killzone and all is well, and then I stopped that (closed the application through the ps button.

I clicked on Resogun to play that (I installed it yesterday, but haven't played it yet) and now its just frozen at a black screen with the resogun ship icon in the lower right corner.

Not sure what to do, I'm nervous to try and do anything, but its just been hanging there for 5 minutes...

Anything that involves checking PSN can cause a hanging screen, now I admit I don't know if that is the case here but it is plausible. I've gotten a few hanging screens like that and I've been able to get out of them by holding the ps button, sending it to standby mode, waiting for it turn "off" and then just popping it back on. Maybe it is in my mind but it seems to be better than just turning it off cold. Haven't seen any damage that way so far.

angrygnat

Are people still having trouble? Other than some instability the first night, I haven't had any PSN problems. My BF4 crashed and lost all my kids single player progress this morning. But I'd say that's a BF4 problem.

Sorian

Banned
Are people still having trouble? Other than some instability the first night, I haven't had any PSN problems. My BF4 crashed and lost all my kids single player progress this morning. But I'd say that's a BF4 problem.

PSN is certainly still going in and out but, otherwise, I've been having no issue.

Spasm

Thanks!
On the top layer of the dashboard, you should have a notification tab with a 1 (or how many notifications you have unread) go in there and it should say Call of Duty blah blah ready to install, just click it.

You may or may not have to highlight the game, hit options, and close the application first, too.

Foxix Von

Hmmm, the real name integration is still a tad uncomfortable for me. I wish it wouldn't insist on using my real name instead of my username for telling my whether or not I've logged in. Always makes me unsure if I have name sharing disabled or not.

angrygnat

Hmmm, the real name integration is still a tad uncomfortable for me. I wish it wouldn't insist on using my real name instead of my username for telling my whether or not I've logged in. Always makes me unsure if I have name sharing disabled or not.
Yeah I wanna get rid of my Facebook name and avatar. It sucks.

ckohler

When livestreaming, is it possible to output the game full screen to viewers but then be able to view the comments only on your TV? If I want the comments to be on my TV, it seems that viewers have to see them also.

Even though it's old news to people the fact that I can currently quickly switch to watching Twitch streams while I wait for a game like 2K14 to finish installing to crazy. That real net gen feeling. I'm loving this console.

When you set it up you can tell it not to use your real name. It's the first thing that happens.

When livestreaming, is it possible to output the game full screen to viewers but then be able to view the comments only on your TV? If I want the comments to be on my TV, it seems that viewers have to see them also.

I don't think you have that option. its either one or the other (no comments or with comments).

I know I have been streaming full screen and then using a laptop to view the chat. Kind of counter intuitive but oh well.

Hi yall, not getting a PS4 until sometime next year but had some questions related to the streaming.

If anyone has 6mb download, 500kb upload speed and tested the twitch option, does it work? I wanna know if I'll be able to stream at all or not.

Also, you can archive to twitch then upload it to youtibe yes? If yes, what is the minute limit for this?

Oh and when you decide to share the last 15 minutes or whatever, can you not save it to facebook/twitter and instead save it to your PSN profile so anyone can look it up and see it? It sounded like this was case prerelease but I'm not sure.

I think thats all the questions I have. Just curious to see if I can stream at all.

Anyone else not able to redeem the free 30 days of PS Plus you got with your console? Is it not stackable or something? I already have PS Plus.

Love how you can just pause a app and go to a different one so easy. Went from Killzone single to a show on Netflix I paused earlier.
Can I turn off the voice stuff in the controller?
Believe if you hold down the ps button it'll take you to device options and you can

TheMink

Warframe causing freezing?

Edit:

When frozen how do i restart? The power button doesnt seem to do anything

Double edit:

Lol i can still here my friend even though its frozen

zedge

Anyone played Blacklight Retribution yet? I will never log in for me..

*edit.. as I post this it works..lol

Also is there a way to adjust the headset volume?

Top Bottom