• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Weenerz

Banned
Games work great, but if I choose anything on the upper bar (PSN, Notifications, etc), it just shows a blue screen. I can use the PS button to take me back to the main bar, and the games still work, but nothing on that upper bar shows up. I have it sitting off right now, just want to see if this is common. It was in stand-by all night if that matters.

Here are my PS4 Impressions. at least with my limited time with it and also being incredibly ill. Seriously, I’m super sick (UGH)

The machine is super powerful, which you can feel from the moment you start playing a game. This thing sings. It’s a lil beast, but like most Sony hardware it still hasn’t quite managed to get the UI and PSN service just there yet. PSN has been having tons of problems, but honestly, that was to be expected. With over a million people all trying to log-in - it’s not a shock that PSN currently is iffy.

That said, with me paying a yearly fee now for PS Plus they need to step their game up. There are some seriously flawed things with the UI that bug me. The lack of no way to organize game downloads and not being able to use a wallpaper or at least change the UI color are frustrating the hell out of me. It’s my OCD at work.

The share and streaming features are a delight. Easy to use and powerful. This is a community builder for the PSN that was truly needed.

Voice recognition is half-baked at best, and at this point is almost pointless. Sony needs to invest more in it to be able to be usable for UI navigation and app starting, not just games. The browser still isn’t the best in the world but is certainly a step forward for Sony. It’s webkit based so can easily be upgraded.

The lack of MP3, MPEG4 and DLNA support is a bummer but it’s something that should be coming soon. Sony has been hammering the point across since Feb that the PS4 is a gaming system over and over again. They’re right. It’s a fantastic system that looks set to build a nice community around gaming. It’s easily the most powerful console out there but is that enough?

With Microsoft investing heavily in their servers and multimedia features; these are areas that Sony needs to address and soon. Having a Ferrari does no one any good if the interface to control this amazing machine is clunky. The PS4 currently feels slightly clunky. The seeds for a great experience are there; they’re just missing some UI features and navigation that feels almost like a no-brainer for the company. The evolution of the XMB is clearly here and it looks sound but needs a fair bit of tweaking to reach the potential that I feel Sony is going for. This is after-all day one and these systems are all about evolution. While Sony clearly holds the title for most powerful next-gen system, Microsoft is beating them to the punch in services that in the long run are going to define the experiences that consumers are going to have with their products. Here’s hoping Sony continues to address these concerns in their next few updates. The PS4 out the gate is smartly engineered machine that has the power to see it through this new generation of gaming, It just needs the user experience to match.

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I'm loving my PS4, the games look great and there's a lot there to play on day 1, but the UI needs some work. There's nothing that's a total deal breaker, it's just clunky in a couple of areas (no sort options, resetting your icon every time a psn error comes up, no support for DLNA or MP3s etc.) I think the foundation for the UI is sound, so I'm hoping that all of these little things are fixed over time. I really wish they would have had game suspend ready for launch =(

Love how you can just pause a app and go to a different one so easy. Went from Killzone single to a show on Netflix I paused earlier.

Believe if you hold down the ps button it'll take you to device options and you can

Yes, the multitasking capability is a fresh breath of air compared to the PS3.

coldfoot

Banned
Has this question been asked?
I swapped out the HDD and you need to put the system update on a USB. Any way how to do that on a Mac? I put in a flash drive, formatted it as FAT from disk utility, grabbed the PS4 Update file and put it inside PS4/UPDATE folder. But the PS4 doesn't like it. Do I have to use windows?

How soon is the next game for ps4 coming out? I feel like the list would have been bigger. What happened to divekick and some other indie games.

Games work great, but if I choose anything on the upper bar (PSN, Notifications, etc), it just shows a blue screen. I can use the PS button to take me back to the main bar, and the games still work, but nothing on that upper bar shows up. I have it sitting off right now, just want to see if this is common. It was in stand-by all night if that matters.

This was happening to me as well about 30 minutes ago. Since you're having the same issue, I'm guessing it's server related.

nataku

Hmmm, the real name integration is still a tad uncomfortable for me. I wish it wouldn't insist on using my real name instead of my username for telling my whether or not I've logged in. Always makes me unsure if I have name sharing disabled or not.

Yeah, same here. I see a mix of my username and real name on my activity feed, which is confusing. I have it set to disabled, so I don't want my real name showing at all, anywhere.

Cloudy

Banned
It's a speaker.

A good example in Resogun is alerting you that a keeper has spawned or a human has died. There's a lot going on in that game so the DS4 speaker kind of grabs your attention for those things.

Yeah I mean to say speaker. I wonder what kind of utilization we'll see in future games. Like maybe hearing a character's internal monologue that way...

Haha my copy of Need for Speed won't boot up. It was working fine yesterday, but now every time I try and play, it just sits on the splash screen forever. I've closed the application, and retried many times.

Dubz

I bought NBA 2K14 on the PSN store. This thing is going to take all day to download. Retail disks for me until I can get 100mbps download here in the states....ie in 3-5 years:(

Pbae

I bought NBA 2K14 on the PSN store. This thing is going to take all day to download. Retail disks for me until I can get 100mbps download here in the states....ie in 3-5 years:(

Live and learn man. I'm in the same boat and I don't think I'll be going digital unless it's an indie or no other choice.

Jagxyz

Anyone know how to get splitscreen online to work in COD? Whenever I try to use a second controller it asks it to log in and connect to PS+ to play.

zedge

Warframe causing freezing?

Edit:

When frozen how do i restart? The power button doesnt seem to do anything

Double edit:

Lol i can still here my friend even though its frozen
Hold the power for like 30 secs till it restarts. Happened once to me. Will go into safe mode and do a HD check. Then restart.

Why am I having no luck getting headphones to work via the controller. Every pair I've tried doesn't do a thing. The headphones get no audio and the headphone volume bar on the ps4 is greyed out.

Redmoon

Has this question been asked?
I swapped out the HDD and you need to put the system update on a USB. Any way how to do that on a Mac? I put in a flash drive, formatted it as FAT from disk utility, grabbed the PS4 Update file and put it inside PS4/UPDATE folder. But the PS4 doesn't like it. Do I have to use windows?

I was told to use FAT32, which worked.
Also, I don't think the OS would matter unless they format differently, but try windows if it still fails under fat32.
Just my own suggestion, but, do a full format, not a quick one.

getting ultra rare trophies:

franco-so-good.gif

Pbae

Why am I having no luck getting headphones to work via the controller. Every pair I've tried doesn't do a thing. The headphones get no audio and the headphone volume bar on the ps4 is greyed out.

Did you make sure to turn the option on for all audio output? The default is just chat support.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How does downloading the rest of a downloadable title work?

For instance, BF4 needs an initial DL of 6 gigs... then it lets you play 1 level of the campaign before it has to download the rest.

Does the secondary download start happening immediately after the first is finished, or do you need to start playing the game first?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hmmm, the real name integration is still a tad uncomfortable for me. I wish it wouldn't insist on using my real name instead of my username for telling my whether or not I've logged in. Always makes me unsure if I have name sharing disabled or not.
Only people that can see your real name are the ones who you can see their real name. No exceptions.

How does downloading the rest of a downloadable title work?

For instance, BF4 needs an initial DL of 6 gigs... then it lets you play 1 level of the campaign before it has to download the rest.

Does the secondary download start happening immediately after the first is finished, or do you need to start playing the game first?
The former. It will auto download the rest like a regular auto download.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Have you gone into the PS4 settings> Audio options> Switch to headphones?

dkeane

So is the store down for everyone or just me. Really annoying. Not only is Battlefiled fucked but the store is trash too.

Seth

Anyone unable to stream to twitch? Keeps telling me connection to the server has been lost everytime. I can use ustream without issue.

Logistic

I didn't purchase any launch games; figured I would just play Resogun and Contrast. Received console last night @ 7 pm - PSN was down for several hours. Went to bed as I couldn't even set up the PS4.

Woke up at 5 AM today and have been trying to connect to the PSN Store - continuing to receive the "This service is currently undergoing maintenance. (E-82000002)".

After receiving this message for several hours, I decided to go buy FIFA in the store to play with my brother. Unfortunately, I'm unable to redeem the free 30 day code, or a 3 months card, for PS+. These codes must be entered on the console.

I finally called Sony (wait time 1 hr) and explained that the store has been down for over 18 hours. They stated the store isn't down and it's just congestion. When I mentioned I tried at 5 AM EST, he said it was still congestion and I need to be more patient.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I didn't purchase any launch games; figured I would just play Resogun and Contrast. Received console last night @ 7 pm - PSN was down for several hours. Went to bed as I couldn't even set up the PS4.

Woke up at 5 AM today and have been trying to connect to the PSN Store - continuing to receive the "This service is currently undergoing maintenance. (E-82000002)".

After receiving this message for several hours, I decided to go buy FIFA in the store to play with my brother. Unfortunately, I'm unable to redeem the free 30 day code, or a 3 months card, for PS+. These codes must be entered on the console.

I finally called Sony and explained that the store has been down for over 18 hours (wait time 1 hr). They stated the store isn't down and it's just congestion. When I mentioned I tried at 5 AM EST, he said it was still congestion and I need to be more patient.
I bought and activated PS+ though the store online website. Next time I signed in, PS+ was active

Top Bottom