• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Petrie

Banned
Everyone taking about how this hasn't even caught up with basic 360 features has me worried. I've been soiled for awhile and don't know if I can handle taking steps back from basic last gen stuff. Is it overblown or is their truth to this? And please don't say how they "can patch it in later".

Thoughts and input appreciated.

Kyoufu

I just can't believe they didn't take the opportunity to show it at the GT show. Eye tracking instead :/

They're obviously saving it for a bigger event when their software is ready. I wonder if the picture of Ueda and a VR headset (Oculus Rift?) means anything regarding TLG and VR controls...

Cloudy

Banned
Everyone taking about how this hasn't even caught up with basic 360 features has me worried. I've been soiled for awhile and don't know if I can handle taking steps back from basic last gen stuff. Is it overblown or is their truth to this? And please don't say how they "can patch it in later".

Sony is sorely mistaken if they think people (especially 360 converts) are gonna be satisfied with this when online isn't free anymore

Played with a buddy for several hours last night on the same team against the computer. Great stuff. Ball physics and crowds really blew me away

Really enjoying Knack too

Ogre123

Neo Member
So I've read that the DS4 Mic input can also be a headphone output. Is it possible to have 2 channel stereo sound output and use it as a mic input as well? it would be a nice setup for late night gaming.

I think most headsets I see are single channel output and input though.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Overblown. The only 360 feature that MS could really laud over Sony was Party Chat and now Sony has that.

As a first time PS owner, I'm very disappointed thus far. So many features I came to expect out of my Xbox360 aren't even present on PSN.

I can't see when friends sign online or begin playing the same game I am, I have to "sync" trophies for some reason just to view them, game updates need to be installed separately from downloading them, etc.

I really don't want to, but I may return my PS4 within a few weeks if this is what I should expect. With the holidays coming up, I can think of much better ways to spend $400 than trying to sign into PSN all day long.

It takes 2-3'seconds for trophies to sync, and you can view them while they are syncing. It does notify you when friends sign online, check your notification options. These are some pretty petty reasons to return a new console, but hey whatever you want to do.

So I've read that the DS4 Mic input can also be a headphone output. Is it possible to have 2 channel stereo sound output and use it as a mic input as well? it would be a nice setup for late night gaming.

I think most headsets I see are single channel output and input though.

Yup, just go to settings, sound/screen, audio output, and change output to headphones to all. (If that's what you were talkin about lol)

What OS features were you used to and loved on 360? I can't think of anything from that console the PS4 doesn't have at the moment.

Why is my "What's New" always show....nothing..?

Enjoying the games and some new options in the UI but it seems like there's just some better, more refined, things in the PS3 UI. Some shit just seems so convoluted.

panty

Enjoying the games and some new options in the UI but it seems like there's just some better, more refined, things in the PS3 UI. Some shit just seems so convoluted.

It's heavily integrated to PSN and since it's down it takes a long time to show anything?

Whooter

I've heard that Sony possibly disabled it temporarily to try and help the PSN situation.

Aeroangel

Banned
Warframe. Holy shit. I, for one, welcome our new free to play overlords.

I second this. However, would be nice if the game gave more reference on what you get when you buy something (not that I have any intention of buying anything any time soon) I want to try a different class, but I guess I have to find more info on the classes on the interwebs vs. in the game itself ><

Gxgear

How's warframe, anyway? I have yet to actually play it XD I guess I should probably ask more specifically what your problem with updating it is, though.

I haven't actually had a chance to play it yet, but my friends seem to enjoy it. Heard it's pretty grindy though.

There's a known issue that it hangs while updating. Current solution is delete game and reinstall after a hard shutoff (safe mode).

If I use the Share button to save a screenshot, what's the easiest way to get that Screenshot to my PC without sharing it to Facebook or Twitter?

I tried to log into my PSN account from my browser, but I don't see any of my screenshots there. Do I need to use a USB stick?

It's heavily integrated to PSN and since it's down it takes a long time to show anything?

That's what I figured, but is it down?

Its been "spotty" to me. Like, I can sign in, but no Whats New...or it signs me in, but reverts to my PSN icon not my Facebook integrated photo.

I feel like its an upgraded PS3-2006 UI and were gonna, again, need a year or two to refine and tweak it.

I honestly would take the PS3 UI with the Streaming Icon and Party Chat Icon and would have been happy. Now I feel like I'm jumping all over the place and such to do simple shit.

Love the games, despising almost every bit of the UI and such.

If I took a pic or video with PSEye, it be under a certain media icon, like if I uploaded audio files...I don't see any of these things. Where thr shit is all the icons?

ILoveBish

Its great as it is, everything works like a modern system. 0 complaints.

EagleEyes

What's missing? /confused
I'm definitely enjoying my PS4 but its still not the all in one package, no pun intended lol, when I have to turn my 360 on to watch my 3 favorite apps, ESPN, HBOGo and Xfinity. But gaming wise its been all gravy so far except the cheap headset and how loud it gets when playing graphically intensive games like Killzone.

Kyoufu

I'm definitely enjoying my PS4 but its still not the all in one package, no pun intended lol, when I have to turn my 360 on to watch my 3 favorite apps, ESPN, HBOGo and Xfinity. But gaming wise its been all gravy so far except the cheap headset and how loud it gets when playing graphically intensive games like Killzone.

I think MS have those apps on lockdown, so I guess you'll be paying for XBLG just to use apps for quite some time.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow that companion app for AC4 is REALLY cool. You can see the map in real time, set markers and stuff like that. You can also check the "codex" and the treasure maps you find in the world (great for me who has a terrible short term memory lol).

EagleEyes

Is it just me or the PS4 is incredibly loud due to its fans?
Its not you. It depends on the game cause when i'm playing something like Contrast its perfectly quiet but when I play Killzone it sounds like its getting ready to take off the runway lol. I think the small design really forces the fans into overdrive to keep it cool. Reminds me a lot of my HP laptop when i'm playing games on it.

Do you always have to go back to the UI to answer messages?

There's no quick press overlay that comes up over top the game? I was in game last night recieving messages and would have to PS button to the UI, go to messages, open it up etc...
On PS3 UI it was a quick press, over to message box, etc..

I also checked my storage and saw it said I had sceenies and vids (some how) how to I open or vkew those videos? Where's the Picture/Video media icon?

Also, pairing my Galaxy S3 to PS4...my PS4 is hardwired to my router and my phone is connected to it via wi-fi...but it says "No PS4 found"...wtf?

Iacobellis

Do you always have to go back to the UI to answer messages?

There's no quick press overlay that comes up over top the game? I was in game last night recieving messages and would have to PS button to the UI, go to messages, open it up etc...
On PS3 UI it was a quick press, over to message box, etc..

I also checked my storage and saw it said I had sceenies and vids (some how) how to I open or vkew those videos? Where's the Picture/Video media icon?

I wish Sony would just copy Microsoft and allow us to instantly open a notification with a press of the PS Button. About photos/videos, you have to press the Options button and then Preview. Very counterintuitive.

I think MS have those apps on lockdown, so I guess you'll be paying for XBLG just to use apps for quite some time.

That's some serious bullshit. ESPN is by far the biggest cable channel in the states, how much is Microsoft paying them for exclusivity? That would be like if ESPN only appeared on dish network. I cannot believe that they are making more money by being xbox exclusive. MS pulled the same shit with Netflix. I remember they got around it by putting the PS3 app on a disc until their digital exclusivity deal with MS ran out.

Played with a buddy for several hours last night on the same team against the computer. Great stuff. Ball physics and crowds really blew me away

Really enjoying Knack too

First time for me playing FIFA, extremely hard. My girlfriend and played against each other for 3 games and neither of us made a single goal.

Debating trying to return it but I have no idea of what I would want to use the money towards since I have a lot of the launch title games.

Top Bottom