• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Fracas

#fuckonami
1. Yep. Don't understand why that isn't there and I can't believe their OS is just a long line of icons. Worse than the new Toyota Corolla.

2. Those are there.

3. :)

4. Doesn't it have it? It has OS-based cross-game chat so is that what you mean?

5. Yeah, XBL has that and PSN could use it...but to be entirely honest, I never find it that useful. "Friends playing this game," is kinda vague.

6. Yeah, WTF.

My NAT is closed (I'm on a campus connection) so maybe that's why I'm not getting notifications when friends come online? I've never seen them. As for in-game chat, people were talking about in the Killzone thread earlier; it seems you can't talk to anyone in-game, only in party chat.

And yeah that light bar is killing me! I like to play games in the dark (at least at night) and it's like a duller flashlight. Such a huge oversight, I feel.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm very surprised that not many others are having credit card issues like I am. Is it because a lot of you guys already had your credit information in from PSN+ before?
My debit card never worked. I finally figured out for some reason I needed to use the zip+4 zip code that my bank had for my address as the billing zip code. Once I did that it worked perfectly.

satam55

Banned
Looks like you can tell the PS4 to get into standby via Voice commands:

M2JgeFX.png

bbtankc

Neo Member
And yeah that light bar is killing me! I like to play games in the dark (at least at night) and it's like a duller flashlight. Such a huge oversight, I feel.

Ivan sure others have said this, but the solution is 1 min of your time plus duct tape.

meanspartan

The controller battery life is good enough, but def a lot less than PS3. I think I am getting about 7 hours or so per charge. I'd get easily more than twice that with PS3's controllers.

I hope in the future they had an update that allows you to turn off the light on the controllers except for camera games that need it. I kinda feel like the reason the battery life is lower is because that damn light is always on.

AngryBird

Banned
Has anyone been able to log onto Blacklight Retribution? I haven't been able to since I downloaded it yesterday.

i just quit playing that game 30 min ago , so yes.

In the beginning it failed, but after i did something ( i think I closed blacklight and re-opened) and i was able to.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The controller battery life is good enough, but def a lot less than PS3. I think I am getting about 7 hours or so per charge. I'd get easily more than twice that with PS3's controllers.

I hope in the future they had an update that allows you to turn off the light on the controllers except for camera games that need it. I kinda feel like the reason the battery life is lower is because that damn light is always on.
I think I read somewhere that DS3 batt. Life was 30 hours. If true, disabling lights wouldn't give you 30 hours, but, it would help the life per charge.

AngryBird

Banned
Ivan sure others have said this, but the solution is 1 min of your time plus duct tape.

Why would you resort to duct taping your new hardware? It will look bad. That's not a solution even short term.

They need a patch to be able to completely turn off, as it doesn't serve any purpose )most of the time)

meanspartan

I think I read somewhere that DS3 batt. Life was 30 hours. If true, disabling lights wouldn't give you 30 hours, but, it would help the life per charge.

It's fine if it never matches the Ds3 life, but ya like you said the light is just giving away battery life for pretty much no reason.

Grinchy

Banned

M2JgeFX.png

You don't even need a camera, apparently. You can just use the mic that goes into the controller (just tested it).

One of the options was even to take a screenshot, so I guess you can use voice to take screenshots during a game if you don't have the energy to hold the share button?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's fine if it never matches the Ds3 life, but ya like you said the light is just giving away battery life for pretty much no reason.

I agree. In all seriousness though, lets say the game dev used the light bar tied in with the game in some way.. For .. Who knows what, like, a warning of an enemy, or, whatever(poor example, I know). You wouldn't necessarily know this in advance, and keep the light off by default. You would never know unless the dev put something on screen saying something like, your controller light is off, please turn it back on for reasons.

bbtankc

Neo Member
Why would you resort to duct taping your new hardware? It will look bad. That's not a solution even short term.

They need a patch to be able to completely turn off, as it doesn't serve any purpose )most of the time)

I am not sure what duct tape you use, but it wouldn't look bad at all with some black electrical tape and a bit of care pasting the tape on. In fact, I am sure you would not even notice the tape since it is on the back and angled downwards.

Also, you can keep asking for a patch to fix this no problem. But if it bothers you NOW, then it just takes 1min of your time.

Downhome

I just stopped at a Family Video on our way home and to my shock they did have PS4 games to rent. I picked out Need for Speed and Knack. I am not a member, never rented things there only bought used BDs, and they told me new members must put a $20 deposit down for each game rented. I didn't do it, blah.

I think Sony didn't expect the sales they were getting on some level. They knew they had to do a certain level of prep on PSN but the day one sales exceeded their best estimates. I wouldn't doubt the news of PS4 sales will be tied to the PSN story next week.

yitdadee08

Neo Member
As a first time PS owner, I'm very disappointed thus far. So many features I came to expect out of my Xbox360 aren't even present on PSN.

I can't see when friends sign online or begin playing the same game I am, I have to "sync" trophies for some reason just to view them, game updates need to be installed separately from downloading them, etc.

I really don't want to, but I may return my PS4 within a few weeks if this is what I should expect. With the holidays coming up, I can think of much better ways to spend $400 than trying to sign into PSN all day long.

It's comments like these that have me scared for the future of video games. Are you that lazy to where you need the PS4 to install an update for you? Does your computer install programs by itself also?

I love my PS4 and what Sony has done with it, making it a video game console. I'm not even bummed by the early selection of titles. I purchased a PS4 for the games in the future: Infamous: SS, Thief, Watcher 3, Destiny, MGS5, etc.

I really feel like if Sony can continue to make the PS4 "4 The Gamers" then we could really be in for something similar to the PS2 run, as far as the selection and quality of games go. I really want to see the reemergence of mid-tier games.

It's comments like these that have me scared for the future of video games. Are you that lazy to where you need the PS4 to install an update for you? Does your computer install programs by itself also?

I love my PS4 and what Sony has done with it, making it a video game console. I'm not even bummed by the early selection of titles. I purchased a PS4 for the games in the future: Infamous: SS, Thief, Watcher 3, Destiny, MGS5, etc.

I really feel like if Sony can continue to make the PS4 "4 The Gamers" then we could really be in for something similar to the PS2 run, as far as the selection and quality of games go. I really want to see the reemergence of mid-tier games.

I think its just mostly early adopter woes, or maybe first time being an early adopter woes dunno. I do agree though, anyone going into this headlong should've known that the first week for most console launches is always like this. I predict the same thing will happen to Xbone.

You don't even need a camera, apparently. You can just use the mic that goes into the controller (just tested it).

One of the options was even to take a screenshot, so I guess you can use voice to take screenshots during a game if you don't have the energy to hold the share button?
Or change share buttonoption where you just press it to take picture

bbtankc

Neo Member

I am okay with him raising these complaints as they are feedback which may eventually improve the usability ofbthe console. However, I think i am not the only one who thinks that using this as a reason to return a console he purchased is just a tad preposterous.

Whooter

Yeah it's the wireless I keep up with stuff on here but do we have word on when that will be patched in I dont remember reading it

If you're talking about the official PS3 one from Sony, I don't think it will be. At least not based off what I was reading the FAQ.

Edit: Here it is:

RyS9hMK.jpg

Another edit: I guess the Sony PULSE headsets will work after a future system update. Just not the plain jane PS3 headset.

mollipen

Really, thats it? lol
You do realize the system has been out like almost 2 days? Not seeing friends login will likely show up soon....thats obvious. Give it time...it just launched.
If thats gonna bother you, you might as well get rid of it

I think the "it's a new system" excuse is being used too much. There's a difference between "features that will take time" and "low-level expected features that are simply missing".

Seriously, we should not have systems come out that can do far less than the systems that they're replacing. If you can't have features ready day one that other systems have had for 6+ years, that's kind of pathetic in my eyes.

Take the PS4's Library. How are there NO filtering options? How could that feature not be ready day one? People have been bitching at Sony for YEARS due to there being no filtering for purchases/downloads on the PS3.

Anytime you do a full reset, there's some level of things that'll take time to get re-implemented. I think a number of features missing from this month's next-gen console releases go way beyond that.

IJoel

Got my system last night and have played some KZ, and Resogun. Some impressions:
The good:
+ Speedy Menus
+ Controller is finally great. Never a fan of previous PS controllers, but this one is great. A quirk with it...
+ Easy and painless setup
+ Love the channels with all the people broadcasting.
+ Great of Sony to provide the PSN+ trial and $10 to use in the store. Now, to find the store open...

The not so good:
- Menus are rather simple with no customization. Lack of pinning games/apps in a Favorites menu that the system could default to when power on.
- That quirk about the controller: the options/share buttons are really in an odd position compared to the track pad. I find myself hitting the track pad when I want to select options all the time.
- PSN store is down all the time.

So far I'm having fun with it. I also got BF4 and AC4 but haven't had a chance to play either of them.

bbtankc

Neo Member
I think the "it's a new system" excuse is being used too much. There's a difference between "features that will take time" and "low-level expected features that are simply missing".

Seriously, we should not have systems come out that can do far less than the systems that they're replacing. If you can't have features ready day one that other systems have had for 6+ years, that's kind of pathetic in my eyes.

Take the PS4's Library. How are there NO filtering options? How could that feature not be ready day one? People have been bitching at Sony for YEARS due to there being no filtering for purchases/downloads on the PS3.

Anytime you do a full reset, there's some level of things that'll take time to get re-implemented. I think a number of features missing from this month's next-gen console releases go way beyond that.

Well, personally, I would rather they release the system earlier and have core features in place so that I can enjoy them sooner, rather than have the system available 6 months to a year later. I understand your point of view, but you can always buy the system a year later than the rest of us when all the features are in place.

th4tguy

Trying to determine how good the wifi receiver is for the system. On my laptop using speedtest.net, I get 30 down and 5 up sitting right by the ps4. When I do the network test on the ps4, it gets about 5 down and 2 up. Are these results consistent with other people? Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with PSN? If it's me, what could I do to get a better speed from my ps4?

Has anyone got the Pulse Elite headset to work at all? I know there's no support for it right now (thanks, sony...), but is there some workaround with the 3.5mm headjack on the controller or something?

Boost

Banned

M2JgeFX.png
You don't need the camera, it can be done with the mono headset included.

I've put it in

Standby
Take Screenshoot
Turn Off
Start A Game
Home Screen
Manuever Home Screen

It's pretty good too. I wish voice comands worked for the upper XMB (IE: notifications, profile, friends etc.)

rSpooky

For those with solid working ps4's how "noisy" is your unit? Do you hear slight rattling? or spinning or whirring or just a soft hum of a fan?
I hear a slight rattling/knocking sound,especially when (what I think is) the fan runs at lower speed. But the unit seems to disspate it's heat well, just had a marathon session without issues I'd love to get other peoples impressions, of those who did not have any issues.

Does anyone else have this issue with the stream Broadcasting to Twitch on the PS4 not showing up on Twitch's search results? If I go to my username I see the channel and stream, but if I search it by name it doesn't come up. Also, under the stream's title, it doesn't say "username is playing game." Do I need to enable something?

Boost

Banned
Also for the love of god, how did Sony miss displaying your friends when the sign in and out of PSN?

That should have been first and FOREMOST IMO.

Anyone else not seeing stuff in the what's new section? Also when I select games from my library is crashes right back to the front screen. If this a PSN thing?

mollipen

Well, personally, I would rather they release the system earlier and have core features in place so that I can enjoy them sooner, rather than have the system available 6 months to a year later. I understand your point of view, but you can always buy the system a year later than the rest of us when all the features are in place.

We're coming off of one of the longest console generations ever. It isn't like they were rushed into getting a console out.

And basic things like sorting, filtering, and alphabetization aren't nearly as basic as you get when it comes to an OS interface. Again, I'm talking about things that should be there from day one, not the various things that logically might not be ready for launch.

Boost

Banned
For those with solid working ps4's how "noisy" is your unit? Do you hear slight rattling? or spinning or whirring or just a soft hum of a fan?
I hear a slight rattling/knocking sound,especially when (what I think is) the fan runs at lower speed. But the unit seems to disspate it's heat well, just had a marathon session without issues I'd love to get other peoples impressions, of those who did not have any issues.
Mine is quite, you could hear a pin drop from a mile away.

fritolay

One thing I like best about the PS4 at launch: Free games.

Free games to try out the system is fantastic. Usually at launch you feel like you have to pony up for 60 dollar games otherwise you are not using your newly purchased system as it should. So you end up buying a bunch of barely polished launch games, in genres you would never buy. Add that DC Online is F2P day 1 and that is pretty cool for those who haven't played it either. The free 30 days PS+ and 10 dollars is a good deal.

Boost

Banned
If you're talking about the official PS3 one from Sony, I don't think it will be. At least not based off what I was reading the FAQ.

Edit: Here it is:

RyS9hMK.jpg

Another edit: I guess the Sony PULSE headsets will work after a future system update. Just not the plain jane PS3 headset.
Sucks I can't use my Jabra headset, this mono one sucks.

Mikey Jr.

I just listened and watched Jonathan Blow play games and answer a fuck-ton of questions for an hour.

Love that it is so easy for someone to hop on there and just interact with the community. Hope way more people do that.

Top Bottom