• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Tsundere

Banned
Think I found a nice Easter Egg in The Playroom.

If you play the AR Robots portion, do this:
  • Keep the robots in the controller
  • Enter "Controller Mode" by swiping down on the touchpad. This will show you the inside of the controller with the robots.
  • Press down on the Touchpad to hear a sound.
  • Keep pressing it (and holding it) and eventually you'll hear either
  1. The Playstation 1 Boot Sequence
  2. The Playstation 2 Boot Sequence

Fedele

I started going to stores around SF/Bay Area at 10 AM today. I believe I visited over 20 stores between Walmarts, Best Buys, Kmarts, Gamestops, Targets and Sony Stores. Couldn't find a single unit.

The guy at the Sony Store told me they have an Interest List for when they receive the next batch... around Christmas!

Expected, I know, but I just can't help but feel sad. :(

kurbaan

Banned
I started going to stores around SF/Bay Area at 10 AM today. I believe I visited over 20 stores between Walmarts, Best Buys, Kmarts, Gamestops, Targets and Sony Stores. Couldn't find a single unit.

The guy at the Sony Store told me they have an Interest List for when they receive the next batch... around Christmas!

Expected, I know, but I just can't help but feel sad. :(

Amazon had a bunch in stock today. Look at Costco i've heard they have units in a lot of areas.

Ran rp

xd56l.gif

v5cfz.gif

Flower is too damn pretty.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ yep. I was skeptical it would look any better on PS4, but it does.

Bring on Journey 1080p.

Everdred

Impressions:
I purchased Knack and Killzone, enjoying both so far. Already beat Killzone. I played for about 12 hours straight yesterday. Had PSN disconnect a couple times but no other issues. Hardware is running like a champ, no lock ups or anything.

Only issue I had was I'm unable to stream content yet, I'm assuming it's because PSN is getting hit hard.

I absolutely love the OS. People might think it's bare bones but that's what I like about it. It's super simple and fast and everything is in a very logical spot. I did party chat with 2 friends and that worked flawlessly. It seemed like my trophies were syncing by themselves. Whenever I went into trophies my count went up before the sync, even though it still said it was syncing. Installing games is super fast, put the disk in, launch it and it took about 30 seconds to get going. PSN downloads were fast as well, I downloaded Resogun, Flower and Contrast in less than 10 minutes.

I wish you could sort trophies in different ways.

I also love the What's New content stream. It displays things like "______ achieved their highest Kill count in Killzone" Or "_______ got a new high score in Resogun!" It's cool to see what your friends were doing since you were last online.

Going to a friends profile and joining his game was awesome. A friend was playing Killzone and I picked "Join" and it showed how many people were in that server, what map and how much time was left, all right from the profile. I picked join and jumped straight into the match. Didn't load anything.

Jinto

Just unboxed my PS4 and getting ready to set it up. Quick question for anyone who knows...

If I hook up the PS4 to my TV with HDMI, and have an optical audio cable going from my tv to receiver, will the PS4 output surround? I just got a 360 awhile back, and it didn't work with that set up, so I had to connect it directly to my receiver. I don't have anymore room on the receiver, and it takes a bit of work to move everything around, so I wanna avoid the hassle of testing it out if I could.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
They really nailed the performance of the interface on this. Bouncing between a post game lobby, joining a party, and connecting my phone through the Android app was instantaneous.

I'm really starting to wish for an upgraded port of GTA Online. The game would be a ton of fun with more than 16 players on the map, and all sorts of crazy shit could be captured and shared.

Got my PS4 yesterday. Played a bit of KZ, Resogun and Warframe. Reso really is the current GeoWars contender imo. I like Warframe a ton, remind me of PSO kind of, which is great. KZ is kind of a pile of poop in my opinion. I'm a much bigger fan of set matchmaking and games with a competitive structure. While I appreciate their drive to add a deeper narrative to the campaign, but it comes off as forced. Not to mention the lackluster voice work. Too top it all off, my PS4 is doing the pulsy blue light garbage. Blargh.

Just unboxed my PS4 and getting ready to set it up. Quick question for anyone who knows...

If I hook up the PS4 to my TV with HDMI, and have an optical audio cable going from my tv to receiver, will the PS4 output surround? I just got a 360 awhile back, and it didn't work with that set up, so I had to connect it directly to my receiver. I don't have anymore room on the receiver, and it takes a bit of work to move everything around, so I wanna avoid the hassle of testing it out if I could.

Doubt it will work with PS4 if the 360 didn't.

Weenerz

Banned
I bought Flower from PSN, but it doesn't show up on the main bar, it shows up under Library and when I press it, it takes me back to the main bar but it doesn't do anything. In the PSN store, it shows that I bought it but no download button there. And there isn't a downloader in the notification section. Help!

I had a PS4 on preorder since June and I didn't know what to do with it until it came to my doorstep. Even then I considered returning it unopened because I really didn't have much to play on it. I'm so HHNNG about Second Son but I thought the launch was weak. I gave into hype and opened it, but just as I was unwrapping it I got some serious buyers remorse right then and there :p

Figured why not, it's opened, may as well hook it up. I don't know if it's my Wi-Fi or PSN is slow but dear lord I'm getting flashbacks to 2003 when I'm downloading. It takes SECONDS for one megabyte, and my wi-fi signal frequently drops. The firmware update straight up took an entire half hour. In the meantime I got to see an undercooked UI with plenty of...weird things about it, many of them not great. Why can't I see a byte count of my downloads when I highlight and press X? Why do I need to highlight, press Options, then Details? And when I'm there, why can't I see my download speed? Why is there no option to change even the color of the background? What happened to the organization between apps and games, why is it all throw in one category? Why is Twitch so slow? Why is the Pulse Elite not supported out of the box? It's a PLAYSTATION branded product ffs!

So many missing features. Yeah it's a launch, but a LOT of what they promised doesn't look like it'll be here anytime soon. Even simple shit like making their own Playstation-branded headsets work have no date other than "yeah, later". That and the delay of Driveclub (was looking forward to that one...) just makes me feel like the whole thing was rushed.

I went off to download Resogun (ugh, the PS Store is identical to the PS3's, extremely slow, janky UI and all) and went away to cool off for a bit. Came back to see it downloaded and everything just started clicking.

I've always had a soft spot for Housemarque games but this is on another level. The way all the mechanics work together, from the human saving to keeping your multiplier alive, it all makes for a really frantic game. The soundtrack is sublime, the basic mechanics really satisfying, beautiful with the insane amount of voxels everywhere, and plenty of replay value to boot. My "let's play this for a bit" ended up lasting 3 hours. My terrible first impressions aside, Resogun alone is making the giant $400 (for me anyway) purchase justified. I'm thinking of getting Killzone and let those two games hold me over until Second Son, or maybe some other game. Then again it's the only game out of the lineup that even remotely interests me. I'd rather get 3rd party multiplats for the PC, and Knack looks like it got the concept of "boredom" down to a tee.

Seriously, though, the main interface is half-assed. They need some MAJOR work on the everything around the system. All I got was 3 hours with Resogun and it made it all the better, but I think if I had spent the night with any lesser game the whole system would've been sent packing back to Amazon.

EDIT: Just one last rant, they fucked up the software for launch so bad. So bad. It's absolutely baffling why they didn't make Ratchet & Clank, Puppeteer, and Gran Turismo 6 cross-gen titles rendered at 1080p and possibly 60fps (making GT6 PS3-only releasing in December is especially foolish, in light of the Driveclub delay and XB1 launching with Forza).

just played a bit DCUO, had a great time, was much better than I expected. It looks good and is really smooth.

anyone else try uploading pics to twitter? i keep getting an error.

wumpy

Banned

the optical audio cable would go from your ps4 to your receiver, should work fine that way

Brashnir

I'm using this setup. It outputs surround over optical.

GQman2121

Banned
How do link your PSN account with Twitter? I was only asked about FB.....

edit: Never mind. I found it buried in the PSN settings. Weird that it's not apart of the initial setup.

The Lamp

I had a PS4 on preorder since June and I didn't know what to do with it until it came to my doorstep. Even then I considered returning it unopened because I really didn't have much to play on it. I'm so HHNNG about Second Son but I thought the launch was weak. I gave into hype and opened it, but just as I was unwrapping it I got some serious buyers remorse right then and there :p

Figured why not, it's opened, may as well hook it up. I don't know if it's my Wi-Fi or PSN is slow but dear lord I'm getting flashbacks to 2003 when I'm downloading. It takes SECONDS for one megabyte, and my wi-fi signal frequently drops. The firmware update straight up took an entire half hour. In the meantime I got to see an undercooked UI with plenty of...weird things about it, many of them not great. Why can't I see a byte count of my downloads when I highlight and press X? Why do I need to highlight, press Options, then Details? And when I'm there, why can't I see my download speed? Why is there no option to change even the color of the background? What happened to the organization between apps and games, why is it all throw in one category? Why is Twitch so slow? Why is the Pulse Elite not supported out of the box? It's a PLAYSTATION branded product ffs!

So many missing features. Yeah it's a launch, but a LOT of what they promised doesn't look like it'll be here anytime soon. Even simple shit like making their own Playstation-branded headsets work have no date other than "yeah, later". That and the delay of Driveclub (was looking forward to that one...) just makes me feel like the whole thing was rushed.

I went off to download Resogun (ugh, the PS Store is identical to the PS3's, extremely slow, janky UI and all) and went away to cool off for a bit. Came back to see it downloaded and everything just started clicking.

I've always had a soft spot for Housemarque games but this is on another level. The way all the mechanics work together, from the human saving to keeping your multiplier alive, it all makes for a really frantic game. The soundtrack is sublime, the basic mechanics really satisfying, beautiful with the insane amount of voxels everywhere, and plenty of replay value to boot. My "let's play this for a bit" ended up lasting 3 hours. My terrible first impressions aside, Resogun alone is making the giant $400 (for me anyway) purchase justified. I'm thinking of getting Killzone and let those two games hold me over until Second Son, or maybe some other game. Then again it's the only game out of the lineup that even remotely interests me. I'd rather get 3rd party multiplats for the PC, and Knack looks like it got the concept of "boredom" down to a tee.

Seriously, though, the main interface is half-assed. They need some MAJOR work on the everything around the system. All I got was 3 hours with Resogun and it made it all the better, but I think if I had spent the night with any lesser game the whole system would've been sent packing back to Amazon.

EDIT: Just one last rant, they fucked up the software for launch so bad. So bad. It's absolutely baffling why they didn't make Ratchet & Clank, Puppeteer, and Gran Turismo 6 cross-gen titles rendered at 1080p and possibly 60fps (making GT6 PS3-only releasing in December is especially foolish, in light of the Driveclub delay and XB1 launching with Forza).

The UI is fine and your Internet sucks. :p no download issues on my end.

Jinto

the optical audio cable would go from your ps4 to your receiver, should work fine that way

That's what I was afraid of. I wanna avoid unhooking the optical cable from tv, since that's the only way I get surround sound from the USB input on my tv.

I'm using this setup. It outputs surround over optical.

You have the optical cable going from your tv to your receiver? Not from your ps4 to receiver?

VanWinkle

Loving the system so far, but I won't pretend there aren't issues. There are things that make me think "isn't this supposed to be next-gen?" like the switching between video apps and game not being seamless and not being able to view and do things in the UI while watching a DVD/Blu-Ray. And the fact that they must have disabled activities (leading to no friend activities, no What's New, and no Live Areas for games) is annoying and hopefully they bring it back soon. Oh, and the store feels as stuttery as PS3 which is massively disappointing, but at least it's pretty much instant to enter and exit it.

CoolNumber9

The mono headset is too big from my tiny ear hole. It's painful. They need to patch in that bluetooth support asap.

If you have any other headsets, like phone ones they work great as well. I'm using my iPhone 5s headphones that has a mic on them. Been using them for game and chat audio, I think they sound great and the mic works great!!

CaptPete

Neo Member
My PS4 is also super-quiet, I wonder if people with louder PS4's are standing it up vertical without the stand? Since the air intake is on the side of the PS4, it would restrict the airflow somewhat, and the hottest part of the console is on the bottom of the PS4 when it's standing up.

I'd really like someone who has a somewhat loud PS4 to test it with the system laying horizontally and see if that makes a difference or not.

I've got mine laying down and it's definitely the loudest system I've ever had by far when I'm playing Killzone; louder than my first 360 for sure! It sounds like a jet engine taking off! It's loud enough that I put headphones on and just sent all of the audio through the DS4 the last time I played it. =(

It's definitely nice and quiet playing video through Netflix or Blu-rays, although the lack of an actual media remote (silly me, I'd assumed the old one from the PS3 would work; or at the very least that Sony would have a replacement!) is causing some strife with the wife.

It really makes it much more obvious which parts of Knack are pre-rendered and which are in-engine. =)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
My analog stick's rubber is slowly mutilating itself. This is after loving care from playing Resogun and Killzone.

What are some good analog stick covers that fit? Need to put something on there before it gets worse :/

Is anyone using a non-US account? I got mine coming later and I mostly use my EU account (I did just create a US account in case). Can I at least log in to PSN and download my EU profile and earn trophies, or can I not do anything on that account until they press the big button?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can someone explain to me what the "Display Area Settings" are? The one that asks "applications will be displayed in the boxed area. adjust area to fit the tv display. this setting is effective only for some applications"

it asked me to do this the first time i setup the ps4 and i just left it at the default as i couldn't seem to get it properly centered in all 4 corners. i just booted up warframe and it also asked me to do this...confused...

Everdred

I've got mine laying down and it's definitely the loudest system I've ever had by far when I'm playing Killzone; louder than my first 360 for sure! It sounds like a jet engine taking off! It's loud enough that I put headphones on and just sent all of the audio through the DS4 the last time I played it. =(

It's definitely nice and quiet playing video through Netflix or Blu-rays, although the lack of an actual media remote (silly me, I'd assumed the old one from the PS3 would work; or at the very least that Sony would have a replacement!) is causing some strife with the wife.

It really makes it much more obvious which parts of Knack are pre-rendered and which are in-engine. =)
That's so strange mine is very quiet and there is hardly any change from watching Netflix to playing Killzone.

Jachaos

I'm simply loving it right now. Aside from PSN being overloaded, I just love the UI. Clean, beautiful, has that nice Nintendo-like background music. It's fast, slick and I only wish for some minor stuff like if the PSN Store was as great as the rest of the UI and if it supported more things like having my music for NHL15 but that's not for another good while anyway etc.

Loving the games, Resogun is amazing, Contrast is cool, nice vibe and some clever puzzles, AC IV I'm not far in yet but I like it, Killzone multiplayer (haven't tried SP yet) is really nice and my experience with the game so far is better than most reviews have made the game out to be. Haven't had too many problems with BF4, but still have had some (Conquest won't load for some reason, got disconnected from a game and when I tried connecting back it crashed, but other than that everything is fine) and it's cool. Loving the share feature too.

jwk94

Is anybody else's shared clips not uploading to facebook? I uploaded a video an hour ago and it was fine but for some reason, the Warframe and Knack videos I just uploaded a few minutes ago didn't appear on my Facebook timeline.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Where is there a list of the games coming out over the next 2 weeks and then through to the end of the year?

I need to know when War Thunder and Doki Doki Universe come out. And Hohokum... Driveclub rumor mill says January right? Then inFamous in March. Woah... Uhhh... The delay actually works in Sony's favor when it comes to WWS support.

viveks86

Where is there a list of the games coming out over the next 2 weeks and then through to the end of the year?

I need to know when War Thunder and Doki Doki Universe come out. And Hohokum... Driveclub rumor mill says January right? Then inFamous in March. Woah... Uhhh... The delay actually works in Sony's favor when it comes to WWS support.

War Thunder is coming along with the european launch on the 29th, I believe. Don't know about the others.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is there a way to set the Vita to use direct for Remote Play when on my network, but connect via the internet when I'm outside of my home?

Top Bottom